S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
    But...but, honestly we wrote that bad fic as a joke....we didn't know TPTB would read it
    Heh, I know. It's weird when you don't want the writers of a show to see your over-the-top parody of a fanfic -- not in the fear that they'd get angry and sue you but that they'd fail to see the parody and use your story because it's better than anything they'd come up with on their own.

Btw, I was blissfully unaware of any Stargate movies coming out. So much for my hope of the Ori plot getting wrapped up by the end of this season and the series getting to rest in peace. Am I right in assuming that the same people who write the series are in charge of the films?
    "I would rather have a show that a hundred people need to see than a thousand people like to see." - Joss Whedon
    "It's strange to have a creation out there: A deeply mutated version of yourself, running loose and screwing everything up. I wonder if this is how parents feel." - Dexter

Comment

Originally posted by Domesticated Equine View Post
      Heh, I know. It's weird when you don't want the writers of a show to see your over-the-top parody of a fanfic -- not in the fear that they'd get angry and sue you but that they'd fail to see the parody and use your story because it's better than anything they'd come up with on their own.

Btw, I was blissfully unaware of any Stargate movies coming out. So much for my hope of the Ori plot getting wrapped up by the end of this season and the series getting to rest in peace. Am I right in assuming that the same people who write the series are in charge of the films?

Cooper wrote them both--oh, boy!
      Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

The first movie is being written (I think) buy Coop, who was the marvelous show runner responsible for all the wonderful changes in s9

darn where did I put my barf buckets?

The second movie is being done by Brad, who was one of the original PTB that started SG1 and went over to Atlantis leaving SG1 in the capable hands of Coop

What makes me shake my head is the decisions made by MGM

Spoiler:
        Don't these people realize what brought down the ratings 30%? If it was just RDA leaving, it would have showed up in the begining of S9. The show slowly lost ratings over the first half of S9, and they can't see it may have been because of the addition of Cam and Vala. Wouldn't you want to fix the mistakes that brought your show down instead of keeping them around
        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Direct to DVD = Dead on arrival anyway. Hopefully there is no more footwear to fall and Stargate will be happily remembered like a lot of other scifi shows as having many great years (8) followed by a couple years of a badly done offshoot.
          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Neither movie sounds to be of any interest to Classic SG-1 fans. What a pity, I had some small hope for the second one. Stupid me any hope would have to be tide into TPTB admiting (without admitting of course) that they were wrong. Saddly SG-1 will be remembered by many as just a bad, bad cheese filled scifi show, not the fate it deserved.
            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

TPTB have a chance to make things right with these movies and there going to follw the season 9 and 10 formula.Whether it's fair or not the Vala and Mitchell characters and how they were written and performed played a big part in the bad ratings.These characters should not be rewarded with a large amount of screentime for the movies.It should be Jack Sam Daniel and Teal'c with a little bit of Vala and Mitchell.

Comment

Originally posted by ses110 View Post
                TPTB have a chance to make things right with these movies and there going to follw the season 9 and 10 formula.Whether it's fair or not the Vala and Mitchell characters and how they were written and performed played a big part in the bad ratings.These characters should not be rewarded with a large amount of screentime for the movies.It should be Jack Sam Daniel and Teal'c with a little bit of Vala and Mitchell.
                I agree that it should be but I doubt that it will be.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
                  I agree that it should be but I doubt that it will be.
                  I have to agree as well -- I was very disappointed when I saw today's news that the second film would indeed include mitchell and vala. I thought, after reading some of the details from the interviews that came out yesterday, that at least with the
                  Spoiler:
                  time travel story and the chance for many old (even departed) faces to return
                  it would also mean the return of the real, the original, the classic, the quality and logical SG-1 and would open up the opportunity to logically have a show sans mitchell and vala but then today that whole naive idea gets blown to bits with the synopsis' from MGM on the second movie - alas none of my dreams for SG-1's return to the classic, well-written, intelligent, unique, non-cheesy, non-caricature filled, non-cliche-ridden mess, show it once was will be coming true. Sad but true - well I'll just keep my $30-$40 and move on . . . .
                  Last edited by binkpmmc; 15 January 2007, 01:25 PM.

Comment

If you loved season 9 and 10 your probably going to love the movies.They should be very Daniel Vala and Mitchell heavy with about 5 minutes of RDA.

Comment

If you loved season 9 and 10 your probably going to love the movies.They should be very Daniel Vala and Mitchell heavy with about 5 minutes of RDA.
                      I won't be bothering with them if that's the case.

Comment

I doubt many people will.

Comment

If this was all happening two years ago I would have believed that after a 30% drop in ratings and some of the group in charge admitting that if the ratings had been higher they would have gotten another season that those people in charge woudl have seen the mistakes made and would now be writing the movies to be geared towards the classic, original, real SG-1 with Sam, Teal'c and Daniel (the real Daniel, not the vaniel daniel) playing much more prominent, substantive and central roles while mitchell and vala take to the back-seat where they belong, IMO. However as it is today and the hubris the boys at bridge have shown of late I have absolutely no faith or trust that they will have learned from a 30% drop in ratings and ultimate cancellation, despite the fact that they acknowldge that IF they had gotten higher ratings they would have gotten another seaosn. I find it hard to believe, but do, that they will continue in the exact same direction but these synopsis' really don't bode well for them acknowledging mistakes and changing direction (back to the direction that actually worked to keep higher ratings two years ago).

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc View Post
                            If this was all happening two years ago I would have believed that after a 30% drop in ratings and some of the group in charge admitting that if the ratings had been higher they would have gotten another season that those people in charge woudl have seen the mistakes made and would now be writing the movies to be geared towards the classic, original, real SG-1 with Sam, Teal'c and Daniel (the real Daniel, not the vaniel daniel) playing much more prominent, substantive and central roles while mitchell and vala take to the back-seat where they belong, IMO. However as it is today and the hubris the boys at bridge have shown of late I have absolutely no faith or trust that they will have learned from a 30% drop in ratings and ultimate cancellation, despite the fact that they acknowldge that IF they had gotten higher ratings they would have gotten another seaosn. I find it hard to believe, but do, that they will continue in the exact same direction but these synopsis' really don't bode well for them acknowledging mistakes and changing direction (back to the direction that actually worked to keep higher ratings two years ago).
                            In TPTB's shoes - assuming, for the sake of argument, that I ever actually allowed the characters on the show in the first place - I would minimize Mitchell and Vala's roles in the movie and concentrate on the original SG-1 but it is possible that TPTB may feel very protective towards their new characters and ideas and push them.

Comment

This is where MGM has to step in and say enough.Season 9 and 10 did not work so were going back to the way SG-1 was in seasons 1-8.There should be some shakeup at Bridge after Season 9 and 10 tanked.There is no fear of the people at Brdige in losing their jobs.They've gotten too close and are like a little club.

Comment

How is only seeing Jack fo 5 freaking minutes make the movie better? Let's face it, Mitchell is a piece of furniture and Vala should just not be on SG-1. Neither character actually mixes into the show. Now, Vaniel is so heavy on the show they have forsaken Teal'c and Sam.

This IS NOT Stargate. They should have just cancelled SG-1 and renamed season nine--Space Gate--the soap opera.

Agreed! I really don't plan on buying these movies. If Skiffy picks them up as a speacial I might watch them.

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
                                I doubt many people will.
                                Me too, a 30% drop in viewers is terrible! SGA actually did better and SGA aint that great either. There are plenty of timeline problems and plot holes in SGA.
                                Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Working...
                                X