No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I expect the new series to be bad. Matter of fact I expect it to be so bad that I'm actually looking forward to it. I need fresh material to mock after all.
    Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
      So the past few years we have seen both SG-1 and Atlantis cancelled. Now these same guys are in charge of a 3rd series? Sci-fi must be seriously nuts.

it's not the canceled that bothers me. Everything gets canceled and I do think the cost was a valid enough reason - though I think it's far from the *only* reason.
      It's the downward spiral of SG-1 before cancellation that was the problem.

SGA - well, I never though it was that good characterwise. Some of the stories were better once in a while...

suse
      sigpic
      Mourning Sanctuary.
      Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
        it's not the canceled that bothers me. Everything gets canceled and I do think the cost was a valid enough reason - though I think it's far from the *only* reason.
        It's the downward spiral of SG-1 before cancellation that was the problem.

SGA - well, I never though it was that good characterwise. Some of the stories were better once in a while...

suse
        I share those sentiments.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
        K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

the Atlantis characters never grabbed me that much, whereas the the combination of just worked from the first time I watched. I also think in those early days Brad Wright & Jonathan Glassner (& RDA)considered SG1 a science fiction drama (with some action & use of humor to sometimes lighten things), not a "sci fi" show (meaning of the Mansquito ilk).

Having seen now some of the Outer Limits episodes (which I believe BW & JG worked on), those tended to address actual issues the way good science fiction does.

Comment

From Joe's blog re concerns aboout SGU
            Well, given that the series has been created by Brad Wright and Robert Cooper who will assume co-show running duties once SGU goes into prep, one can expect a certain level of quality.
            Considering what I saw in S9/S10 that's what worries me! Co-showrunning might help a bit, but... I'm not convinced it will enough to make me want to watch...

suse
            sigpic
            Mourning Sanctuary.
            Thanks for the good times!

Comment

it'll all depend on the ratio of brad to coop
              70% brad to 30% Coop, probably ok
              70% coop to 30% brad....season 9 and 10 all over again
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                it'll all depend on the ratio of brad to coop
                70% brad to 30% Coop, probably ok
                70% coop to 30% brad....season 9 and 10 all over again
                I think it's the latter as Brad will probably be tied up with more SG-1 movies...
                Last edited by silly sally; 02 September 2008, 05:54 AM.

Comment

then universe will fall to my 'watch when i'm excedingly bored' category.

I'm afraid i'm not a pre-pubescent male that finds boob shots, crotch jokes and innuendo all that enthralling.

no worries though, i'll have dexter and tudors and sanctuary and other stuff to watch
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                    the Atlantis characters never grabbed me that much, whereas the the combination of just worked from the first time I watched. I also think in those early days Brad Wright & Jonathan Glassner (& RDA)considered SG1 a science fiction drama (with some action & use of humor to sometimes lighten things), not a "sci fi" show (meaning of the Mansquito ilk).

Having seen now some of the Outer Limits episodes (which I believe BW & JG worked on), those tended to address actual issues the way good science fiction does.
                    Ditto, ditto, and ditto again! The characters of just worked perfectly and the humour I thought was very reminiscent of Doctor Who. Those were two of the four things that pulled me in as a viewer (the third was the fact that it was taking place in the 20th / 21st centuries which meant I could more easily relate to the characters and the fourth but most definitely not least would be the relationship). You could find that it would manage to inject humour into serious situations but, like Doctor Who, it found its way back to being serious easily enough. I always knew that when the Doctor stopped being eccentric and humorous then things were REALLY bad and and I found that the characters of Stargate SG-1 did that too.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                      Ditto, ditto, and ditto again! The characters of just worked perfectly and the humour I thought was very reminiscent of Doctor Who. Those were two of the four things that pulled me in as a viewer (the third was the fact that it was taking place in the 20th / 21st centuries which meant I could more easily relate to the characters and the fourth but most definitely not least would be the relationship). You could find that it would manage to inject humour into serious situations but, like Doctor Who, it found its way back to being serious easily enough. I always knew that when the Doctor stopped being eccentric and humorous then things were REALLY bad and and I found that the characters of Stargate SG-1 did that too.
                      Good to see you here Alan

Although I don't watch Dr. Who, I have always appreciated the humour that was injected into the show more so in the ealier years. It was more of a subtle humour, not one trying to hit you over the head saying...'see isn't that funny!" Like we got in S9 and 10. Stargate's humour went down hill when Gekko started to have less of an influence in the show, sadly
                      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post

Although I don't watch Dr. Who, I have always appreciated the humour that was injected into the show more so in the ealier years. It was more of a subtle humour, not one trying to hit you over the head saying...'see isn't that funny!" Like we got in S9 and 10. Stargate's humour went down hill when Gekko started to have less of an influence in the show, sadly
                        Thanks for the welcome, Mandy.

I agree with what you said about Stargate SG-1's humour in the last two seasons. Gekko's influence had practically faded into nothing and when Rick left the humour was never the same again. No-one could deliver humorous lines like he could and, speaking personally, I never laughed as hard after Season 8.

Moving away from the humour - Just wondering here but...when Stargate SG-1 was renewed for a 9th season, should it have been a totally new cast? The line-up of just never, ever gelled with me - but *particularly* Mitchell. He was a poor man's replacement for . I think that if Mitchell had been with a new SG-1 team then I might not have minded him so much but then I might still be comparing him and his new team as a poor man's replacement for and .

And one thing I *particularly* hated was all the sort of obligatory standing side-by-side, heroic, we're all together kind of scenes in Season 9. Did anyone else pick-up on that? Maybe I'm being over-sensitive on this particular issue because S9 and S10 were just so hard to watch and the drop in quality was so obvious, but it just seemed like they were trying to throw this "new" SG-1 into my face. Episodes that seem to spring to mind when I talk about this are Beachhead and Off the Grid and I'm thinking The Shroud too...but as I say, maybe I'm just being over-sensitive on this one. I'll leave you all to decide for yourselves on that. Be gentle.
                        Last edited by Alan; 02 September 2008, 03:29 PM.

Comment

The problem they had, was they wanted to make a new show. Stargate Command, but that wouldn't get them the 200 show record. So they(TPTB) were 'stuck' with SG1. Now, they could have made it work, by adding Mitchell as a Major and have him learn from the best (a line Cam actually used, but didn't follow). Instead the way they brought in Mitchell, they wanted the white male action hewo to lead; because everyone knows a woman with 8 years experience has no business leading...(forget s8, it didn't really happen /sarcasm.)

So now they were stuck with SG1 and it's history baggage, so what did they do...they broke up the team to have the goofball, who has never seen the gate, lead the team of experienced SG team members...yea, makes no sense, they tried so hard to fit the square peg in to the round hole...and the result was S9 and 10
                          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post

The humor came out of the situation and the characters' personalities, and didn't feel like a "joke writer" was at work.
                            I mean stuff like Jack saying "oh great, more snakeheads" was just so Jack. he wasn't trying to be funny, that's just the way he thought. Or Sam saying "sounds like fun to me!" in Learning Curve--that was just her personality. The humor was not so much that what she said was funny, but in the reactions. Am I making sense?

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                              And one thing I *particularly* hated was all the sort of obligatory standing side-by-side, heroic, we're all together kind of scenes in Season 9. Did anyone else pick-up on that? Maybe I'm being over-sensitive on this particular issue because S9 and S10 were just so hard to watch and the drop in quality was so obvious, but it just seemed like they were trying to throw this "new" SG-1 into my face. Episodes that seem to spring to mind when I talk about this are Beachhead and Off the Grid and I'm thinking The Shroud too...but as I say, maybe I'm just being over-sensitive on this one. I'll leave you all to decide for yourselves on that. Be gentle.
                              You mean the nauseating "getting the band back together" ?(blech) and Landry saying "Teal'c's family"-- as if we (or anyone in the SGC, for that matter) had to be told.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                                You mean the nauseating "getting the band back together" ?(blech) and Landry saying "Teal'c's family"-- as if we (or anyone in the SGC, for that matter) had to be told.
                                Yep, Teal'c was indeed family, unlike those interlopers Cam, Vala and Landry
                                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                                X