No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great points again. IMO not showing a scene with Sam Daniel and Teal'c discussing Jack going to Washington and all the changes was a big blunder. It may have helpded long time fans just a little. It was all too neat how things came together in season 9.

Comment

Originally posted by ses110 View Post
      Great points again. IMO not showing a scene with Sam Daniel and Teal'c discussing Jack going to Washington and all the changes was a big blunder. It may have helpded long time fans just a little. It was all too neat how things came together in season 9.
      Neat? Ignored canon maybe, but not neat. IMO.

suse
      sigpic
      Mourning Sanctuary.
      Thanks for the good times!

Comment

More like...dropped entirely.

Left viewers with more questions than answerers.
        Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
          Neat? Ignored canon maybe, but not neat. IMO.

suse
          I think neat here does not equal cool or good or interesting. However when I look at the thesaurus its hard to find a definition of neat that does apply (since to me clean=good). I guess the point is the transition was too clean......a quick severing of what the show was before. Unfortunately what they cut out was not a disease but the healthy host and it was replaced with a worthless old\overused\cliche prosthetic.
          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
            I think neat here does not equal cool or good or interesting. However when I look at the thesaurus its hard to find a definition of neat that does apply (since to me clean=good). I guess the point is the transition was too clean......a quick severing of what the show was before. Unfortunately what they cut out was not a disease but the healthy host and it was replaced with a worthless old\overused\cliche prosthetic.
            OOOooooooo. Nice metaphor.

suse
            sigpic
            Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post

Nothing, nearly no scenes at all between them. I would expect a scene with Daniel, Sam and Teal'c all sitting in Daniel or Sam's office discussing the changes. How they felt about having a new guy on the team, about coming back to the SGC.

Daniel missed Atlantis because of Vala...shouldn't Sam have been asking him what went wrong?"

Loved Spader's Daniel. Liked early Daniel that MS did...which was a spader rip off by admittance.
              they couldn't talk about mitchell in anything but glowing terms because that was part of the hard sell. I can just hear the writers now 'dude, if the characters LOVE him, the fans will love him. remember, mgm says we have to have a big name, so we have our big name, so if we just make sam and daniel and teal'c love him the fans will too.'

to me, i sometimes feel that ben was hired just to keep mgm happy. That coop didn't want a new actor, thus he did what mgm wanted, hired a new actor. mgm just didn't stipulate that the new 'leading male' actually be treated like one

Originally posted by ses110 View Post
              that's cause jack was teh past and the past was baggage. and coop seemed to hate any and everything that came before his adored bori, thus that baggage needed to be ignored. and if they'd just not mention jack, we'd forget him and it'd all be fine
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

that's cause jack was teh past and the past was baggage. and coop seemed to hate any and everything that came before his adored bori, thus that baggage needed to be ignored. and if they'd just not mention jack, we'd forget him and it'd all be fine
                Ungrateful wretch. He forgot where he came from.
                RCC--case study in the dangers of promoting from within.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                  RCC--case study in the dangers of promoting from within.
                  They call that the Peter Principle. I've mentioned it for some years now as an explaination of what's happening with SG.

As for S8: It should've ended with Threads, as Mobius was a poor excuse for an episode.
                  Signed,

Gregorius
                  Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                  Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    they couldn't talk about mitchell in anything but glowing terms because that was part of the hard sell. I can just hear the writers now 'dude, if the characters LOVE him, the fans will love him. remember, mgm says we have to have a big name, so we have our big name, so if we just make sam and daniel and teal'c love him the fans will too.'

to me, i sometimes feel that ben was hired just to keep mgm happy. That coop didn't want a new actor, thus he did what mgm wanted, hired a new actor. mgm just didn't stipulate that the new 'leading male' actually be treated like one

Nah. They wanted Ben for Shep. They wanted Ben for Pete. He was busy both times. I have no doubt they wanted him. not sure why they didn't use him effectively, maybe they knew how badly they had blundered with Mitchell even if they couldn't admit it publicly. Though that doesn't explain Vala, even with the change.

suse
                    sigpic
                    Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
                      They call that the Peter Principle. I've mentioned it for some years now as an explaination of what's happening with SG.

As for S8: It should've ended with Threads, as Mobius was a poor excuse for an episode.
                      on both counts. I'm sure many of us have mentioned the Peter principle on this thread. RCC's picture would be next to the definition in the dictionary.

And I agree--Threads was had the feel of a natural series ender.
                      Although I enjoyed certain parts of Moebius on an entertainment level, I'm one of the (few?) ones who didn't like it & my feelings of it as a season ender are even stronger.

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                        Nah. They wanted Ben for Shep. They wanted Ben for Pete. He was busy both times. I have no doubt they wanted him. not sure why they didn't use him effectively, maybe they knew how badly they had blundered with Mitchell even if they couldn't admit it publicly. Though that doesn't explain Vala, even with the change.

suse
                        well, that actually explains...to me anyways...why Mitchell turned out to be a huge mary sue part.

they didn't write the part and then go find the actor. Tptb must have wrote the part for the actor. Kind of like, tptb wanted BB so bad for 2 years they actually made up a hewo type role for him to play. Then, after CB joined the hewo role seemed to really fizzle out in favor of Vala/Daniel comedy hour.

It just reinforces how little planning apparently went into season 9 and 10.

write a mary sue role for an actor that has been on the 'list" for years. Totally drop all canon to make it...filmed, not really work.

then when tptb discovered their D/V "goldmine" they went out of their way to promote that aspect.

lack of planning over all...especially with the main story arc.

No closer for a main character who carried the show for 8 years, completely take Daniel out of character to make him into another character. Honestly, I would rather tptb have killed Daniel off and hired a new actor to play Action Jackson. It would have been far less painful.

Completely wallpaper the female lead...in favor of new shiny toy...D/V

off set horrible main story arc with horrible fill in "stand alone" eps that are all cliché and badly written. None of season 9 or 10 would I bother to watch a second time. I still like to watch the repeats from earlier eps, but if it's 9 or 10...I turn the channel.

Comment

I'll repeat my lament: I feel bad for Mr. Browder. He deserved better. So did Claudia Black. Well... so did everyone.
                          Tilting windmills since... well... too long ago to remember...

sigpic

My portfolio and repository:
                          http://z13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/

Comment

Originally posted by Silverwings View Post
                            I'll repeat my lament: I feel bad for Mr. Browder. He deserved better. So did Claudia Black. Well... so did everyone.
                            Yes they did. <sigh>

suse
                            sigpic
                            Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                              well, that actually explains...to me anyways...why Mitchell turned out to be a huge mary sue part.

they didn't write the part and then go find the actor. Tptb must have wrote the part for the actor. Kind of like, tptb wanted BB so bad for 2 years they actually made up a hewo type role for him to play. Then, after CB joined the hewo role seemed to really fizzle out in favor of Vala/Daniel comedy hour.

It just reinforces how little planning apparently went into season 9 and 10.

write a mary sue role for an actor that has been on the 'list" for years. Totally drop all canon to make it...filmed, not really work.

then when tptb discovered their D/V "goldmine" they went out of their way to promote that aspect.

lack of planning over all...especially with the main story arc.

No closer for a main character who carried the show for 8 years, completely take Daniel out of character to make him into another character. Honestly, I would rather tptb have killed Daniel off and hired a new actor to play Action Jackson. It would have been far less painful.

Completely wallpaper the female lead...in favor of new shiny toy...D/V

off set horrible main story arc with horrible fill in "stand alone" eps that are all cliché and badly written. None of season 9 or 10 would I bother to watch a second time. I still like to watch the repeats from earlier eps, but if it's 9 or 10...I turn the channel.
                              More like finding fools gold
                              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                                More like finding fools gold
                                I never said it was a BIG gold mine. Only need an ounce to have a gold mine after all.

and that's about as much chemistry D/V had too. Just an ounce. Maybe less.

Comment

Working...
                                X