S10: nostalgia, new viewers & the progression of SG1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stef View Post
    Sounds good I'll post little kick off things early Sunday before work and then everyone can just post when they get the chance...and let the good times roll I'll try to think up some questions to get us started off - and then hopefully spur conversations from there!

-Stef
    Terrific!

I doubt we'll have any trouble coming up with things to discuss. One of things I love about season 10 is that there is so much going on. I think it has more layers to it than some of the other seasons (hmmm... I guess that's a thesis that I may have to find evidence for as we go through this re-watch). and it starts out with some great moral issues in Flesh and Blood.

But now, I have to go watch season 6 to get caught up on my other re-watch thread.
    Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
    Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Originally posted by Khentkawes View Post
      Yep! Pacific coast of the US, too... which means I'm waaay behind most of the world.

If we start with Australia's Monday and America's Sunday, then it will be the beginning of the week for everyone! Sound fair?
      Sounds great!

I doubt we'll have any trouble coming up with things to discuss. One of things I love about season 10 is that there is so much going on. I think it has more layers to it than some of the other seasons (hmmm... I guess that's a thesis that I may have to find evidence for as we go through this re-watch). and it starts out with some great moral issues in Flesh and Blood.

But now, I have to go watch season 6 to get caught up on my other re-watch thread.
      I agree it has a lot more depth than some other seasons...possibly because after ten seasons, many of the characters have had so much time to grow on screen that the their background becomes incredibly detailed...only adding to the plot or the arc of the story itself.
      sigpic

Comment

Oops, were we supposed to have started the episode discussions yesterday/today? Well...let's start it now

FLESH & BLOOD

ORIGINAL US AIR DATE: July 14th, 2006
        WRITTEN BY - Robert C. Cooper
        DIRECTED BY - William Waring

BASIC QUESTIONS (in case you can't think of anything else):

1. What is your favorite scene? What do you think is the BEST scene?
        2. If you could change one aspect or scene from this episode, what would it be?
        3. How would you rate this episode (from 1-10, 10 being the best)?
        4. Did this episode change your opinions about anything: character-wise, story-wise?

-Stef

PHOTOBUCKET // WEBSITE // LIVEJOURNAL---------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Sorry! RL has been really busy for me lately. I will rewatch Flesh and Blood tomorrow.
          sigpic
          Much thanks to Snowball for the banner! Many thanks to Cazzblade for the avatar!!
          I'm a 60%er!
          ~~~Iawen~~~

Comment

No problem, get to it when you can

I think I'll answer my own questions:

1. What is your favorite/best scene?
            Honestly, it's hard for me to pinpoint a scene that is my favorite in this episode. There are plenty of things I really like, not a huge amount of things I *love* So I'd probably go with - the big ole 'family' reunion scene towards the end with Vala, Daniel, Tomin, Adria, and eventually the Prior. I think it combines a lot of different dynamics in there - seeing how easily Tomin and Adria are willing to kill Daniel (probably each for their own reasons) and Vala's selflessness in jumping in front of the staff weapon. It's also nice to see that although Tomin and Adria are both 'villains' they both rush to Vala's side when she goes down. I like that they both have the same 'weakness'

2. If you could change one aspect or scene from this episode, what would it be?
            Honestly, I wasn't particularly compelled by the rest of SG-1's story. The Cam/Sam stuff is nice, but the attack against Chulak is a little rushed. I would have liked to have seen that story stretched out a little more and had a stronger overall impact. None of it was bad, but it could have been afforded more attention.

3. How would you rate this episode (from 1-10, 10 being the best)?
            I'd probably give it a solid 8. It is a strong episode and a good season opener

4. Did this episode change your opinions about anything: character-wise, story-wise?
            I think the introduction of Adria gave a more pronounced face to the enemy which I liked. Part of the reason why the Ori storyline was so compelling at the beginning was because SG-1 was up against a faceless enemy (and still is for the most part) BUT I think after awhile they just became this invisible force that you couldn't really get a handle on. Everyone talked about them, but you never got a glimpse of one. Bringing Adria into the mix made the 'villain' more tangible.

-Stef

PHOTOBUCKET // WEBSITE // LIVEJOURNAL---------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I don't really see Tomin as a villain. He's an adversary, sure, and he definitely did things that he shouldn't have, and he certainly was all too willing to kill Daniel, but I wouldn't classify him as a villain. Personally, anyway.
              sigpic
              Much thanks to Snowball for the banner! Many thanks to Cazzblade for the avatar!!
              I'm a 60%er!
              ~~~Iawen~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Iawen View Post
                I don't really see Tomin as a villain. He's an adversary, sure, and he definitely did things that he shouldn't have, and he certainly was all too willing to kill Daniel, but I wouldn't classify him as a villain. Personally, anyway.
                Well, that's why I put it in quotes I don't consider Tomin to be a villain in the traditional sense, no, but he is an antagonist and set up against the heroes - so I would align him more with Adria than I would with the team...up until probably the end of LITS and AOT of course when he shifts his allegiances.

Although, I don't want to step on later episodes here....but explain to me how Tomin was pardoned for helping Vala escape....enough to be put in charge of the team that went after one of the most important artifacts regarding the Ori.

-Stef

Comment

It's also nice to see that although Tomin and Adria are both 'villains' they both rush to Vala's side when she goes down. I like that they both have the same 'weakness'
                  I'd never thought of it that way before. Excellent point! I'll have to remember that, it might just change how I view Adria in the future.

Honestly, I wasn't particularly compelled by the rest of SG-1's story. The Cam/Sam stuff is nice, but the attack against Chulak is a little rushed. I would have liked to have seen that story stretched out a little more and had a stronger overall impact. None of it was bad, but it could have been afforded more attention.
                  Again, I don't think I'd ever really considered this, but you could be right. I always get so wrapped up in the Daniel, Vala, Adria side of the plot, that I tend to forget about Teal'c and what's going on with Chulak. When I get around to watching, I'll have to see if it feels rushed to me or not.

Do you think they could have made this episode into two parts (which technically would have made it a 3-parter)? They could have had a more involved ground assault on Chulak, and maybe they (SG1 and/or Jaffa troops) could have tried infiltrating the Ori mothership on the ground (and they could have ended up rescuing Daniel and Vala that way instead of beaming them up to the ship). It would have made for a very different episode, but it could have been interesting.
                  Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
                  Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

I'd never thought of it that way before. Excellent point! I'll have to remember that, it might just change how I view Adria in the future.
                    Yeah, I always thought it was an interesting aspect to her character - that her mother is her one weakness. She lowers her guard when Vala is injured (which allows Daniel to get her) in F&B, part of the reason why she wants Daniel is because she wants to use him to convert her mother - and he's ultimately the one who kills the Ori (with Merlin's help), she's caught by Ba'al and later by SG-1 after listening to Vala's story about the treasure in Dominion, and then finally her mother is the one who distracts her long enough for Daniel to figure out the code to the chest in AOT.

Again, I don't think I'd ever really considered this, but you could be right. I always get so wrapped up in the Daniel, Vala, Adria side of the plot, that I tend to forget about Teal'c and what's going on with Chulak. When I get around to watching, I'll have to see if it feels rushed to me or not.

Do you think they could have made this episode into two parts (which technically would have made it a 3-parter)? They could have had a more involved ground assault on Chulak, and maybe they (SG1 and/or Jaffa troops) could have tried infiltrating the Ori mothership on the ground (and they could have ended up rescuing Daniel and Vala that way instead of beaming them up to the ship). It would have made for a very different episode, but it could have been interesting.
                    You know, I don't know. I'm not sure how a three-parter would have worked. But like you pointed out, I think most people when they think about this episode (whether they like D, V, A, or T) think of that storyline first. I only know the other storyline because of my Cam/Sam inclinations I think the Chulak bit could have been expanded into another episode or perhaps saved for another story entirely. I think Adria's introduction and scraping the team back together was enough to fill this episode. It's just that Chulak is such an important planet, such an important part of Stargate's history that I would have liked to have seen it's fall dealt with on a more personal level, you know?

-Stef

Comment

Ooops sorry guys just been a little pre-occupied with some job interviews and the fires here in Victoria...I had kind of forgotten about this. I will watch F&B sometime tomorrow afternoon!
                      sigpic

Comment

No problem, Amounet! I plan to watch it tomorrow, too.
                        sigpic
                        I'm a 60%er!
                        ~~~Iawen~~~

Comment

hmmm.... so I'm off to a bad start with this re-watch. I thought for sure I would have time to watch yesterday, but nooooo.

But I will watch Flesh and Blood. Really I will! I'm aiming for Monday... or Tuesday night if necessary (maybe I'll even watch two episodes in a row ). I've been looking forward to it all week, so I am not missing this episode!

^ I was looking for a smiley that expressed determination. You like?

Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

hmmm.... so I'm off to a bad start with this re-watch. I thought for sure I would have time to watch yesterday, but nooooo.

But I will watch Flesh and Blood. Really I will! I'm aiming for Monday... or Tuesday night if necessary (maybe I'll even watch two episodes in a row ). I've been looking forward to it all week, so I am not missing this episode!

^ I was looking for a smiley that expressed determination. You like?
                            Lol I’m in the same boat as Khentkawes *tries to find smilie that resembles a boat* I will watch and discuss soon! Promise!
                            sigpic

Comment

I'm in the same boat as you guys, no worries! We will all get it watched. I probably won't be able to until Tuesday night. Sorry!
                              sigpic
                              I'm a 60%er!
                              ~~~Iawen~~~

Comment

Hi all,
                                I just found your thread and decided to join you.

Comment

Working...
                                X