S10: nostalgia, new viewers & the progression of SG1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neelan_Liquor
    Just so you guys know that I'm not one of "those 'pros'", I do see some things from time to time that I don't like in eps, but the good stuff outweighs those bits by so much, that I just have to vote 7-10 for most of the eps... Insiders will be getting an 8 from me. I didn't like it anywhere near as much as Pegasus Project, but there were a LOT of fun moments (like the "arm wrestling" ) and some pretty good drama.

As far as I'm concerned, every ep begins as a 5 then points are added or subtracted as I watch. When I'm done, if I wasn't impressed, but was entertained (since that's kind of the point of television shows), the 5 rating will stand. Season 9 didn't have a single 5 for me... mostly 7-10s, but season 10 has given me an 8, a 9, and two 10s. I'm LOVIN' what I'm seein'!
    Like you, I may see things in the eps that I don't care for, but I see far more things that I do like. And, while I will admit that I've liked all episodes and give them all high ratings, that may be because I am comparing Stargate to all things on television that I watch and, in that regard, it compares favorably. If I were to rate each episode against other Stargate SG-1 episodes, I imagine some of the ratings would be a little lower. BUT I still think season 9 and, so far, season 10 are my favorites, so they would still mostly compare favorably.

[FarScape is left out of this equation, because it would skew all the results!]

Comment

Originally posted by ChillinTheMost
      LOL. But I think Mitchell was 'going for the joke'. We saw that he wasn't "big" in flashbacks with his father.
      Cool video and I agree he was going for the joke. Everything I see about new episodes makes me want Friday to be here now! I am loving season 10!
      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Like you, I may see things in the eps that I don't care for, but I see far more things that I do like. And, while I will admit that I've liked all episodes and give them all high ratings, that may be because I am comparing Stargate to all things on television that I watch and, in that regard, it compares favorably. If I were to rate each episode against other Stargate SG-1 episodes, I imagine some of the ratings would be a little lower. BUT I still think season 9 and, so far, season 10 are my favorites, so they would still mostly compare favorably.

[FarScape is left out of this equation, because it would skew all the results!]
        I agree compleatly. While i have been an avid fan since Children of the Gods, I feel that season 9 compleatly reinvented the show and in a sense created a new show. I love BB and CB and love what they have brought to the show. I loved seaon 9 and am loving season 10 even more. Like you I will leave Farscape out of the equation b/c IMHO Stargate is way better.

Comment

Originally posted by MasySyma
          Agreed. I'm not sure how much show would be left once the gate goes public. SG-1 would become a DS-9 of sorts, and while I loved DS-9, I want SG-1 to stay true to itself.

I'm enjoying Season 10 so far, so if the gate has to public, that should be in Season 20.
          This is over my head since I only watched one season of DS-9, so could you please explain?

I don't particularly want the gate to go public, either, but that's because I love when they do things like beam an entire building into space and the public responses show that everyone doesn't quite believe the cover story that is told to them. I love the allusions to things that have happened and the rationalizations of those not in the know. It's like I'm in on the joke.

I'm easily amused sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82
            I agree compleatly. While i have been an avid fan since Children of the Gods, I feel that season 9 compleatly reinvented the show and in a sense created a new show. I love BB and CB and love what they have brought to the show. I loved seaon 9 and am loving season 10 even more.
            I've watched since the beginning, too [although there was a time in the middle that I stopped, but then I caught up again]. I've always liked this show, but it wasn't "must see TV" until season 9.

Like you I will leave Farscape out of the equation b/c IMHO Stargate is way better.
            LOL. And that's why there are so many different things on television!
            Different tastes...

Comment

The gate shouldn't go public unless it's a franchise finale or a mini-series. Nuff said.

Comment

I've watched since the beginning, too [although there was a time in the middle that I stopped, but then I caught up again]. I've always liked this show, but it wasn't "must see TV" until season 9.

LOL. And that's why there are so many different things on television!
                Different tastes...
                Deffinatly. Imagine what TV would be like if everybody liked exactly the same thing! It's great that everybody loves something different, now if we could just find out what to do about all these reality shows. Next thing you know will have "Stargate the Reality show'!

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
                  The gate shouldn't go public unless it's a franchise finale or a mini-series. Nuff said.
                  Agrreed! Leave it in the closet for now.

Comment

Originally posted by tommiekins
                    as far as I know still just a rumor, I don't think gateworld has confirmed anything yet.
                    That's good news. I hope this six month hiatus stays a rumor.

Comment

I think if the gate went public it would tank the show. I am not sure how far they could go with something like that.

And when I rate shows I don't necessarily have a starting point, I like the ep or I don't. If I really liked the ep then it gets a higher number. If I didn't like the ep it gets a lower rating. I rate according to how much I did or did not like the ep. I don't like to compare either, I know I did earlier in the thread, but it really is about that particular episode. I don't like to compare within a series and if I were to compare any show to another show all would lose to a particular show that won't be named here

Comment

Originally posted by SylvreWolfe
                        [B]I think if the gate went public it would tank the show. I am not sure how far they could go with something like that.[B]
                        my thoughts exactly, if they did make the gate public and want to the show to go on it would take a very good and believable story line. no way could they just do a story like " the world knows and dosn't care, there are no riots or outrages from the public". thats why when anubis invaded earth they didnt cross the line of telling the public about the gate, there was no good plot for it. i for one dont want to see it made public, not even the last eppisode if it ever comes, my reason for that is... we are too primitive a race to handle any such thing.
                        SAVE SG-1
                        www.savestargatesg1.com

Proud Member of F.O.R.D.
                        Say No To The Six Month Hiatus

Comment

Originally posted by The.Prior.of.The.Ori
                          i for one dont want to see it made public, not even the last eppisode if it ever comes, my reason for that is... we are too primitive a race to handle any such thing.
                          Indeed we are, I thought this quote in Covenant was quite good:

COLSON (laughing): Oh, that would be the ultimate irony, wouldn't it?! You secretly save the world from destruction at the hands of alien invaders, only for us to destroy ourselves out of fear, after the fact.

CARTER: Change your mind?

COLSON: Not really. I don't think it would happen. (He stands up and walks to the Stargate, gesturing at it.) And if a truth of this magnitude, about the very nature of human existence, could lead us to destroy ourselves, then I'd say we would deserve it, wouldn't you?

but I think its innevitable that it'll go public at some point, and when it does I hope its at the end of SG1

Question 2, you are in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on his back, in the hot sun. You recognize his plight but do nothing to help, why?

because… you are also a tortoise.

O’NEILL: No. No. Full well expected the other shoe to drop eventually.

THOR: We can only hope this will be the last footwear to fall.

T-minus 16 days until sky one season 10 premiere.

Comment

Originally posted by Freekzilla
                            I am however, very pleased at the renewed energy of SG-1 now. It is definitely screaming 11th season with how well things are going. They've definitely stepped up the quality of the show this year.
                            ABSO-FREAKIN'-LUTELY!!! LOVE the energy on this show now. Even more so this season than last, if you can believe it.

RE: the SG program going public... I think it'd get shutdown first. After all, Cheyenne Mountain complex is being closed down in RL already.

Comment

Originally posted by Neelan_Liquor
                              RE: the SG program going public... I think it'd get shutdown first. After all, Cheyenne Mountain complex is being closed down in RL already.
                              Good point, in 1969 they come through into the future and the stargate is still in Cheyenne with the whole complex shut down. If it went public I'd imagine they would have a terminal and be travelling worlds all the time like in 2010, except without the Aschen!

Question 2, you are in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on his back, in the hot sun. You recognize his plight but do nothing to help, why?

because… you are also a tortoise.

O’NEILL: No. No. Full well expected the other shoe to drop eventually.

THOR: We can only hope this will be the last footwear to fall.

T-minus 16 days until sky one season 10 premiere.

Comment

Originally posted by tommiekins
                                Good point, in 1969 they come through into the future and the stargate is still in Cheyenne with the whole complex shut down. If it went public I'd imagine they would have a terminal and be travelling worlds all the time like in 2010, except without the Aschen!
                                IMO, if the stargate program is revealed throughout the world, it would start a power struggle that will probably end up in a war before we see any type of terminals with people peacefully populating other worlds. The stargate program is one that brings many types of technological advances into the world, economically, socially, and militarily, which means that the different nations of the world will fight each other for control of the gate.

There would probably be chaos fueled by fighting nations, and the kind of people running around that the world is doomed because of alien races like the Goa'uld, Wraith, and Ori.

In the end, the stargate could resolve many of Earth's problems, such as overpopulation and world hunger (Farms on other planets). But that will only happen if we don't destroy ourselves trying to control the gate itself.

The struggle has begun already,
                                Spoiler:
                                with the Russians demanding that they reciver their own 304.
                                http://www.bentsynapse.net/images/zidane_dethstar.gif
                                If only we have Zidane on Stargate.....
                                **Mentally replace that deathstar with an Ori ship**

Comment

Working...
                                X