This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SierraGulf1
    I agree, nothing is set in stone. But if it's true...

I'm going to say right here that I am no fan of Robert C. Cooper, despite how much I enjoyed early Season 9. Well, I like his work, but not his attitude (now I in know way no for sure what goes on, so if I have been misinformed, my sincerest apologies to anyone offended).

When Michael Shanks wasn't happy because his character was being underused in Season 5, I read that he mentioned it, and Rob Cooper didn't care all that much. Michael Shanks ended up leaving. I know he loved the idea of Sam/Jack ship (which I'm not too keen on) and to me it's seeming like he doesn't believe Sam can exist without some man, as has been said. What makes me more suspicious is that it was him who mentioned that they can find a use for Sam.

Amanda Tapping is a very caring, loyal woman and if she is truly being treated like so, I'm hoping she tells whoever treats her as such where to shove their 20 episodes, regardless of which series they're on.

I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions, but that's how I feel.

Dont appologise, I think you are right on the money. The treatment of MS during season 5 was out of order, and now he is doing the same to AT, it might not be set in stone but he is putting the show in jeapordy and he has no right to ruin a good formula. Claudia Black is good as a temp but with AT she isnt so appealing as a character. If AT goes MS may go as well (some rumer anbout another show) then SG-1 is Beau Bridges(WTF? bring back RDA) Claudia Black (shes no replacement for Sam and no good without MS) Ben Browder (good but might get boring) and Chris Judge(Who is being underused now). I meant dont jump to conclusions but something needs to be said, the show could be ruined by the end of Season 10 [mod snip].
    Last edited by Darren; 31 October 2005, 02:17 PM.
    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

This whole conversation exists because this is what ALWAYS happens to actors when their hit show goes into it's unpteenth season. Actors want top dollar, and producers/writers/directors want to keep things fresh by jumbling the cast. But this then terminates the majic that the cast had together. This is another reason why top notch actors like RDA leave the show regardless of the offer. SG1 in it's current configuration is in it's twilight years. Expect another season, maybe 2. The interest and the money will shift to SGA. My advice to the original remaining cast members is to heavily explore other opportuniities, while they're still on a hit show.

HOWEVER. If TPTB have any business sense, they'd be writing a feature length movie with the ORIGINAL cast members. They'd better do it sooner rather than later, because the magic only lasts so long.

Comment

I'm hoping we won't have Sam Carter on either SG1 *or* Atlantis. If this were happening right after SG1's 2nd or 3rd season I'd feel differently, but I have had so much National Treasure and her feeeelings shoved down my throat that I'll be glad if AT doesn't come back to SG1. There's no role left there for her except to pine after whathisname. She turned from a great character in the early seasons to a self centered fool in the later seasons. At one point I wanted the character to be returned to her roots, but now I'm beyond caring. And I absolutely don't want her on Atlantis. Rodney's the resident science god over there, and I want it left that way.

Comment

I've been watching SG-1 since season three was first aired, and I've grown tired of Carter. Her character was changed so much in order to promote the Sam and Jack ship that to many of us she's no longer a viable character. Especially now that Jack is gone. I can well imagine the writers sitting there, scratching their heads and trying to figure out how to fix this now, and figure out what to DO with Sam now. Who IS she now, anyway? I watch the show each week and own all the box sets and I'm not even sure who she is now. All I know is that I'm tired of her.

If she gets twenty episodes guaranteed, then how is that a bad thing for AT? Does it matter which show she'll be on? I really don't want to see Sam go to Atlantis, but I'd rather be bored with Atlantis than be bored with SG-1.

For me, the feelings of dislike for Sam don't have anything to do with the new cast members or season nine changes. The feelings have to do with the changes I've seen in Carter since season four, and even if BC and BB weren't in the cast now I'd still say that my fingers were crossed that AT takes takes that other series.

And, to go one point further, I feel that AT is a good actress, and has done all she can with Sam over the last nine years. Maybe creatively and professionally it would be a good thing for her to take the other offer. She can try something different. If the SG-1 is cancelled after season ten, then she won't have passed up something that could be fun and sustain her professionally for the next period of time.

Comment

Let's wait and see.

Comment

This is great news for AT and MS. They are smart to be looking at other projects. If I heard from the producers that they had no idea what to do with my character (Sam Carter) I would run for the hills, or at least as far from SG-1 as possible. It's pretty obvious the writers have no idea what to do with Sam Carter this season. It can only get much, much worse! I just wish we in the US could see AT's new series.
              Last edited by fan457; 31 October 2005, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Bottom line: if CB is joining the cast full time, there is really no room for AT. The actress, I doubt would settle for being relegated and the producers would do anything to save a dollar and would be happy for her to go.
                My money's on Tapping going for good if Black is in permantly as a fulltime cast member.

Comment

Like some have said before already, I'm going to wait for some official confirmation, one way or the other, on what's going to happen with AT. I know concerns have been raised in previous seasons only to turn out to be nothing at all in the end. Which I'm hoping is the case with this. Personally, I like CB and the character she plays. But I just don't see giving up AT to gain her. As for the buzz surrounding MS, I'm not too concerned. If CB does join the cast next season, SG-1 will focus on the two of them somewhat. I don't see any reason he would want to leave the show. So all in all, I'm just going to forget I read about this until I hear some sort of official word. But if you are reading this ptb, don't do something stupid and let AT go. You would piss way too many of us off.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I suppose what this all boils down to, and forgive me for stating the obvious here, is whether you are a fan of Stargate as a concept or of the cast of the show.

If you are only watching the show for Daniel or Sam, then obviously their departures will have a very negative effect on your enjoyment of Stargate. That is fair enough. I personally am a fan of the show overall and believe that it has grown far larger than any one of the single characters. If Sam or Daniel aren't a part of the show next year then i will miss them but as long as there exists good actors and characters to tell the Stargate story around then i'm okay with that.

Now, as a seperate matter, i would hope that any cast changes that do occur are done in a way that is fair to all involved. I sincerely hope that whatever is decided about Amanda's character for the new seasons is to everyone's benefit, especially Amanda. She has been a part of the show from the start and deserves to be given the respect she has earned due to that.

I should point out that the producers of Stargate did go out of their way and wrote the entire first quarter of this current season of SG-1 to benefit Amanda due to her pregnancy. They could just as easily have made Sam a recurring character this year and brought Vala in fulltime. Instead they chose to keep Amanda and Sam as regulars. This shows a commitment to the character and actress, in my opinion.

My point being that, given the fact they had a lot more reason to remove Sam from the regular cast last year, then if they are deciding to do something different with her this year it must be for a very good reason. One that may help to improve the show (or both shows) overall.

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith
                      Having read the replies since my last post, all i'm going to say is this:

I'm not making any assumptions until i hear something official from a reliable source, such as GateWorld News or Sci-Fi.
                      I agree. I was getting worked up about the whole "Michael won't be part of season 10" thing, but I realised I'm most likely panicking for no reason, and I remembered why I'm not big on rumours.

Comment

Originally posted by Gate Freak
                        I suppose what this all boils down to, and forgive me for stating the obvious here, is whether you are a fan of Stargate as a concept or of the cast of the show.

If you are only watching the show for Daniel or Sam, then obviously their departures will have a very negative effect on your enjoyment of Stargate. That is fair enough. I personally am a fan of the show overall and believe that it has grown far larger than any one of the single characters.
                        I'm one of those who stuck with Stargate (the show) through various cast changes. When MS left and CN replaced him, I was willing to give it a chance and I still enjoyed the show. When CN was replaced with MS I still stayed and enjoyed the show. When I heard that RDA really wanted to quit and spend time with his daughter, I didn't have a problem as I felt the others could carry the show as long as there were good stories. And when I found out that RDA was really leaving, and that AT was not going to be in the first few episodes of S9, although I was a little leery I was still willing to give it chance.

So I tuned in to the first episode and instead of thinking it was the best Stargate I'd ever seen or the absolute worst Stargate I'd ever seen, I felt nothing. Still, it was the first of a two-parter, so I figured the second part would be better and it was, but I still just wasn't getting that thrill. While the next 3 episode improved it still didn't "grab" me the way it used to.

And to me it doesn't really matter what TPTB say, Mitchell has too many Crichton mannerisms and I just can't separate the two characters. I do agree that CB is nothing like Aeryn Sun, (I liked Aeryn Sun btw), but I don't like the Vala character. She just doesn't appeal to me in any way.

Maybe if they had done a spin-off, instead of trying to pass off S9 as SG-1 I might have felt differently. After all, I really like Atlantis and it doesn't have Jack, Daniel, Teal'c or Sam (at least not yet). If S9 had instead been S1 of "Stargate Command" then I wouldn't expect to see SG-1 and would have been more open to the possibilities of what TPTB were doing.

Like Cam said in Avalon 1 - he wanted to be a part of SG-1 (Sam, Daniel and Teal'c) not two letters and a number. That's what I want too, because without Sam, Daniel and Teal'c, that's exactly what SG-1 is imo.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
                          I'm one of those who stuck with Stargate (the show) through various cast changes. When MS left and CN replaced him, I was willing to give it a chance and I still enjoyed the show. When CN was replaced with MS I still stayed and enjoyed the show. When I heard that RDA really wanted to quit and spend time with his daughter, I didn't have a problem as I felt the others could carry the show as long as there were good stories. And when I found out that RDA was really leaving, and that AT was not going to be in the first few episodes of S9, although I was a little leery I was still willing to give it chance.
                          Yeah, I think the series got better in Season 6 (when MS came back it got even better). But now with RDA gone, the episode are a little more duller, but The Fourth Horseman Part 1 gave me some hope that rest of the season may get a little less duller.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
                            Maybe if they had done a spin-off, instead of trying to pass off S9 as SG-1 I might have felt differently. After all, I really like Atlantis and it doesn't have Jack, Daniel, Teal'c or Sam (at least not yet). If S9 had instead been S1 of "Stargate Command" then I wouldn't expect to see SG-1 and would have been more open to the possibilities of what TPTB were doing.

Like Cam said in Avalon 1 - he wanted to be a part of SG-1 (Sam, Daniel and Teal'c) not two letters and a number. That's what I want too, because without Sam, Daniel and Teal'c, that's exactly what SG-1 is imo.
                            I actually was hoping that they would do exactly that! My feeling was, and still is to be truthful, that season 9 of SG-1 would have been better served as a transition period into a new show. Have this current year be an introduction to the new characters and concepts and then rather than renew Stargate SG-1 for a tenth season simply end it on a high and spinoff into a third series, maybe featuring Cam, Vala, Daniel and some new characters and centre it around the whole Camelot mythology that we are currently entering into. Maybe even call it Stargate: Camelot or Stargate: Avalon. Something along those lines anyway.

Maybe that is still a possibility for after Stargate season 10, i suppose that would depend on how the next year goes.

Comment

Season 9 as a spin off would have been better, I never actually thought of it that way.

SG1 Cast: Amanda Tapping, Chris Judge, Michael Shanks and Corin Nemec (I really saw the two as completely different characters, so why get rid of him?)

SG Command Cast: Ben Browder, Claudia Black "Someone new" and "Someone else new"

With both having a new General. That would have been much better than it is now, and it is still fantastic as it is!
                              Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                              - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

I know something is preventing Corin Nemec from returning. I've heard various reasons ranging from "busy with current projects" to "feuding with the producers." Whatever it is, I think if they're hurting for someone interesting, it would be good to bring back a former character who was underdeveloped. He wasn't around long enough to screw with his character (like poor Carter) and he'd be a nice familiar face. If Amanda were only transfering between shows and not permanent, I'd rather see Corin Nemec as a regular than CB. Cameron Mitchell, Jonas Quinn, Teal'c, and Daniel Jackson with well-written stories would be SG-1 enough for me. Not to mention some Jonas/Vala interactions would be very interesting.

Of course, like I said, I don't know if they even can bring Jonas back, and I know it's been said by a producer that they won't. But one can hope none the less.

EDIT: And now that we know Amanda is definitely willing to do 20 episodes, why bother having her go between Atlantis and SG-1? Jack and Pete are gone, and with no one to pine over we can get back to the old Carter that we enjoy.
                                Beyond the Horizon Lies the Gateway to a New Galaxy
                                Stargate Horizon, Co-Executive Producer
                                Latest Episode: 4.06 - "Eden"
                                Stargate Destiny, Fan
                                Latest Episode: 1.20 - "Alliances, Part One"

Comment

Working...
                                X