This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gate Freak
    Okay, first thing i should say, i've been a Stargate fan right from the start. nearly a decade ago i sat and watched the first episode, Children of the Gods, when it premiered on Sky One here in the UK and from then on i've been hooked. Never missed a first run episode of either SG-1 or Atlantis right up to, and including, this week. Basically i'm a big fan!

Secondly, i love the original cast! RDA, Amanda, Michael, Chris and Don made the show the success it became and i have enjoyed every episode thery have been a part of. I missed Michael during the year he was not a part of the show, i missed Don last year and i'm missing RDA now that the new season has begun.

All that said, I LOVE THE CURRENT STARGATE!!!! I think Ben, Beau and Claudia have brought a freshness to a series that, after eight years, it really shouldn't have anymore. Not because i don't think the originals would have tried anymore, just simply because there are only so many stories you can tell about the same people or team.

This news about Amanda is currently uncertain at best. We have no idea about what is actually being said or considered behind the scenes with regard to the role Sam will play in the new seasons. However, if the writers are having a problem with what to do with the character, i really wouldn't be that surprised. After ten years Sam has done pretty much everything on the show and with Jack gone and Jacob dead her character arcs are going to be limited, especially if she stays in the position she currently has. Both Daniel and Teal'c have new responsibilities and storylines. Sam currently is there just for the technobabble. To me that is unfair and both Sam and Amanda deserve more.

If the producers think that they will have more for Sam to do as a part of both series then i say go for it! Amanda will still be employed for twenty episodes next year and she will have two great cast and crews to work with. Where is the bad? At a guess i would say that they are considering assigning Sam to the Daedalus, which would explain her becoming a cast member of both series. If not that then perhaps she will be called to Atlantis to help in a matter that only Carter can cope with. Basically, if this is the plan then to me it sounds like a positive thing and not the doom and gloom that people are making it sound to be.

Just give the changes a chance because Stargate, as a concept, has a lot of life in it yet!
    I Like your positivity but for me I don't like the changes that have occurred. I do not think the show has turned down another formula winning street and I'm afraid I'm not up for any more Vala. If we have to have new female characters lets have them fully clothed with a little less trite. I'm sure Claudia could bring a freshness to stargate with a much more applaudable character. If there is a new full time cast member I hope it is female and a great character - then I may take an interest again. The Daniel Vala show just didn't work for me - it is not what Stargate is about in my opinion. I want intelligent team adventures.

Being on Atlantis may be a good move for AT, only she can be the judge of that. I just think Stargate in now not Stargate. They should spin off again and create a new show. The people who want to watch it will and those that don't won't. I will be in the latter category I think

Comment

I don’t think anyone needs to be disrespectful of anyone (I have been reading that some fans are bashing people about all these rumors.) I think that would be the last thing that AT would want. Plus I think that you attract many more flies with honey than with vinegar as the old saying goes. I really think that the important thing is to get across to TPTB that we want Amanda to stay and have just as big a part as ever. I think if they can give CJ and MS new responsibilities that they can do that for Amanda also. It is TV and they can write any situation that they want. (What about Carters brother they can put him in danger. What about duplicate O’Neill, they could do a show with him coming to see Carter because he can’t live without her and he wants her to get the Asgard to clone her so he could have his own Carter). I don’t believe that every story has been told as far as Carter is concerned. I know she is good at techno babble but, she is much too good an actress to just do that. She is wonderfully funny and the best crier I have ever seen. Like one of the post said she stuck around through thick and thin and deserves respect. AT is why a lot of us watch Stargate. I’m glad that people are posting in favor of AT staying. In fact I hope they get so many post that they can’t do anything but beg her to stay!
      It is insulting to woman for them to try to replace Carter with Vala. Carter is one of the only positive role models for woman on the show. She has been there for nine years, she CAN’T be replaced.
      I watch the show because of AT. I won’t watch if she is gone and I know a lot of people that feel the same way.
      Please PTB make the fans happy Keep Carter happy!

"We were a team...no one could even begin to understand what we went through together… What we mean to each other.” Samantha Carter

Comment

Having read the replies since my last post, all i'm going to say is this:

I'm not making any assumptions until i hear something official from a reliable source, such as GateWorld News or Sci-Fi.

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
          I think there's a very good chance that Solutions is overestimating the magnitude of this TV role. A 'major' role could mean:

A regular role in a 22-ep show. Bye bye Dr Jackson.
          A temporary role in, say, eps 5.12-5.16 of '24', or a patient-of-the-week in ER. Something nice to do in the hiatus, no need to leave SG-1.
          The Voice-Over in a 12-part documentary. Something to spend a few days on in the hiatus.

Or it might not be as 'major' as any of those - remember, the info comes from the people who were making MS's apologies for missing their event, and they're hardly going to call it "a small-to-medium part which he really is interested in" when they can call it "a major part".
          In scooting back to the post, I believe it's the fan con who said 'major' and Solutions copied that word.

I'm sure though that 'major' does constitute an on-air role and not a voiceover role But hey, I don't think any rational can fault any actor for bowing out of a convention for a paying job. After all, no roles, nothing to talk about at cons

Comment

yowo, love your post but couldn't green

Communicating our support for Sam Carter would be a great way to show TPTB how strongly we feel. I will be doing this myself

However the contracts have been drawn up, so I'm afraid it is already a done deal. So I feel we will be just voicing our disaproval - still a worthy cause though

I will be more than happy to revel in my DVD seasons 1 to 8 as far as my Stargate fix goes and to follow Amanda if she decides to leave the show. She a class actor and better than a recurring character role in either show. She's been offered a lead part in a new canadian series and parts in 2 films, one a movie of the week and the other a film with Christan Slater playing his love interest.
            If I was her I would be tempted to tell TPTB to shove it I'm afraid

Comment

Originally posted by Gate Freak

This news about Amanda is currently uncertain at best. We have no idea about what is actually being said or considered behind the scenes with regard to the role Sam will play in the new seasons. However, if the writers are having a problem with what to do with the character, i really wouldn't be that surprised. After ten years Sam has done pretty much everything on the show and with Jack gone and Jacob dead her character arcs are going to be limited, especially if she stays in the position she currently has. Both Daniel and Teal'c have new responsibilities and storylines. Sam currently is there just for the technobabble. To me that is unfair and both Sam and Amanda deserve more.

If the producers think that they will have more for Sam to do as a part of both series then i say go for it! Amanda will still be employed for twenty episodes next year and she will have two great cast and crews to work with. Where is the bad? At a guess i would say that they are considering assigning Sam to the Daedalus, which would explain her becoming a cast member of both series. If not that then perhaps she will be called to Atlantis to help in a matter that only Carter can cope with. Basically, if this is the plan then to me it sounds like a positive thing and not the doom and gloom that people are making it sound to be.
              Right now as fans we're just stuck waiting on confirmation of this news, and it'll probably burn up fandom (if some of the more incidienary comments on JM's blog comments page are any indication).

The thing is that if you've got good writers, they can keept a series going on forever. If they've run out of idea with what to do with Sam, they definitely need to infuse some new writing blood on the staff. I do believe that the writers should stop sharing duty between SG1 and SGA (although keep each other informed with a simple flowchart of things like "oh by the way, we killed off so-and-so, so don't mention him in any more episodes). The two shows can be very independent. After all, if you work for a corporation, and you're in the NY office, you don't know what the folks in the LA office are doing unless they tell you and 99.9% of the time what they doesn't impact you.

But anyway, I'm not too thrilled with Sam popping up on Atlantis because as it is, the female characters on that show need their own development. Sam showing up just might detract from that. Unless of course, Sam is the only guest character and it would be interesting to see Sam and Elizabeth talk about ROdney. Now wouldn't that make him nervous?

In reading some fan comments, it was discouraging to see a bent toward 'must have Sam or else how else can we have Sam and Jack?' etc. A character should stand on their own and not just be part of a pair. I mean, I liked Daniel for himself, not just because he's friends with whoever, etc. However, that's not to say the character interaction isn't important. Without it, most of us might have left long ago (just blowing things up and having space battles gets boring quick).

I have no problem with RDA leaving; he wanted to. From all accord, MS wanted to leave after season 5 as well. I'd like to hear more info on AT and how the producers contacted her about season 10. There are so many variables involved in that business that I don't know what to think about why AT had to initiate a call (in this cellphone age, how can anybody not contact anyone who has a cell?)

I think the only way to really save Sam is to bolster her character: don't relegate her as 'somebody's girl" (who spends time pining about who to date/marry,etc) or a weak commander (her command skills need work, sorry to say) or just the technobabble geek (who's polite). I'd love to see her stand up more, really take charge for once (but not overkill, like a Rambolina).

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                She's been offered a lead part in a new canadian series and parts in 2 films, one a movie of the week and the other a film with Christan Slater playing his love interest.
                There are too many threads to dig through here. What films are those? Did she mention this at GABIT as I didn't see it on her site.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by prion
                  But anyway, I'm not too thrilled with Sam popping up on Atlantis because as it is, the female characters on that show need their own development. Sam showing up just might detract from that.

Good point

In reading some fan comments, it was discouraging to see a bent toward 'must have Sam or else how else can we have Sam and Jack?' etc. A character should stand on their own and not just be part of a pair. I mean, I liked Daniel for himself, not just because he's friends with whoever, etc. However, that's not to say the character interaction isn't important. Without it, most of us might have left long ago (just blowing things up and having space battles gets boring quick).

Yup I agree with that
                  I have no problem with RDA leaving; he wanted to. From all accord, MS wanted to leave after season 5 as well. I'd like to hear more info on AT and how the producers contacted her about season 10. There are so many variables involved in that business that I don't know what to think about why AT had to initiate a call (in this cellphone age, how can anybody not contact anyone who has a cell?)

No she went up to him and asked him if there was a problem (as she knew the other lead cast and cb had already been asked to return - she hadn't. That is when RC said there isn't a problem they just don't know what to do with Sam. Amanda certainly thought this was a problem (it is what she said at GABIT)

I think the only way to really save Sam is to bolster her character: don't relegate her as 'somebody's girl" (who spends time pining about who to date/marry,etc) or a weak commander (her command skills need work, sorry to say) or just the technobabble geek (who's polite). I'd love to see her stand up more, really take charge for once (but not overkill, like a Rambolina).
                  The chance is gone. I stupidly assumed a over a year ago she would become the permanent lead of SG1 and they would get back to some great team eps and have another great actor pick up another great character in the team. Then BB got signed!!!

Comment

Originally posted by prion
                    There are too many threads to dig through here. What films are those? Did she mention this at GABIT as I didn't see it on her site.

Thanks.
                    she mentioned them at GABIT. I can't remember the names of the films. She is filming them when she gets back from england.
                    In the other film she plays sort of a bumbling detective who keeps messing up cases and has sortof a chip on her shoulder because of it. Amanda looked quite excited at the prospect of these film roles. The one with Christian Slater I think was a small role. It is mainly about 4 male friends who get together for a reunion.

Comment

The Christian Slater film is called 'The Foursome'....but it's about golf
                      LizWhite.net

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                        yowo, love your post but couldn't green

Communicating our support for Sam Carter would be a great way to show TPTB how strongly we feel. I will be doing this myself

However the contracts have been drawn up, so I'm afraid it is already a done deal. So I feel we will be just voicing our disaproval - still a worthy cause though

I will be more than happy to revel in my DVD seasons 1 to 8 as far as my Stargate fix goes and to follow Amanda if she decides to leave the show. She a class actor and better than a recurring character role in either show. She's been offered a lead part in a new canadian series and parts in 2 films, one a movie of the week and the other a film with Christan Slater playing his love interest.
                        Good post and yup - so would I. In a way I hope she does - it sounds like she has a few very good opportunities right now and Stargate, IMO, is dying a slow death. She should get as far away from it as she can so she is not dragged down with it.

Comment

Originally posted by flippy18
                          The Christian Slater film is called 'The Foursome'....but it's about golf
                          Yes! Thanks Flippy. I should have remembered that from the laughs the title got when she named it!!

Comment

I cant see them leaving, this is all just worry that will end up as nothing. I wasnt here back then, but I have been told that this sort of thing has cropped up for the last 3 years, cast leaving, lessening parts, it all ends well. Its a year off yet, just dont jump to conclusions, we have mostly gossip and 2nd/3rd person info, nothing concrete yet.
                            Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                            - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

I agree, nothing is set in stone. But if it's true...

I'm going to say right here that I am no fan of Robert C. Cooper, despite how much I enjoyed early Season 9. Well, I like his work, but not his attitude (now I in know way no for sure what goes on, so if I have been misinformed, my sincerest apologies to anyone offended).

When Michael Shanks wasn't happy because his character was being underused in Season 5, I read that he mentioned it, and Rob Cooper didn't care all that much. Michael Shanks ended up leaving. I know he loved the idea of Sam/Jack ship (which I'm not too keen on) and to me it's seeming like he doesn't believe Sam can exist without some man, as has been said. What makes me more suspicious is that it was him who mentioned that they can find a use for Sam.

Amanda Tapping is a very caring, loyal woman and if she is truly being treated like so, I'm hoping she tells whoever treats her as such where to shove their 20 episodes, regardless of which series they're on.

I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions, but that's how I feel.
                              Beyond the Horizon Lies the Gateway to a New Galaxy
                              Stargate Horizon, Co-Executive Producer
                              Latest Episode: 4.06 - "Eden"
                              Stargate Destiny, Fan
                              Latest Episode: 1.20 - "Alliances, Part One"

Comment

What do they mean "we don't know what to do with her"? I don't know what they could possibly do without her! Verry sad to lose Jack (though I hold nothing against RDA, I'm glad he did what he had to do) but when that happened I thought at least we still have sg-1. I for one loved seeing Sam command sg-1, the few short times they let us see it. She was a great leader and they still had the chemistry even without Jack.
                                Though I don't mind seeing Vala in an episode here and there, I can't stand the thought of Vala "replacing" the Sam character.
                                I hope it doesn't turn out as bad as it sounds.
                                "Do you people practice being vague?"

Comment

Working...
                                X