Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SG1 - TV Guide Online: Ask Matt - Aug. 29th - Vala - Season 10?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vala and Sam working together i can see Vala would have to maybe work on Sam for that Sam seemed very wary of Vala lol

I don't particularly want anyone of SG-1 to die! It would be a huge shame

lol
    --Tan

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan

As for this artical, this is not exactly a Matt Rouch scoop. I think many gateworld posters (including myself) had said we were pretty sure Vala would be back for the season finally. He just confirmed what was pretty obvious. Now if he can confirm Season 10...then I will be impressed.
      I shall hazard a guess. Coming November 2005 the Scifi Channel will remember to say "yes, we want season 10". It has been taking longer and longer each year, after all...
      Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
      Yes, I am!
      sigpic
      Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
      Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
      Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
        Thanks
        Back for 2 eps - maybe she will die this time
        Ooh..end of season a good time to die
        I dont mind her but I think she should die
        In that case I will never watch Stargate again
        It doesnt have to be until people like this come along
        No offense, but you started it. See all the posts you've made to this thread from the beginning.

You are entitled to your opinion, just as the rest of us are. Btw, did you ever stop to think that the reason certain people are not happy with you is that you have repeatedly stated that you wish for their fav character to die. Would you not feel the same way if I (just for kicks and giggles here) said repeatedly that I wanted Sam to die?

Not that I want EITHER character to die, I'm just trying to get you to see it from another perspective. Don't hate me cause I LOVE both characters. (((((qasimjavid))))))

Why does it have to be either OR? Considering that so many (other) fans actually LOVE both characters to me it seems the most logical thing to have Vala a repeat character and keep Sam where she is. Hopefully that's what will happen now that we know that Vala will be back!

*doesn't squee so does her happy "Claudia will be back" dance.
        sigpic
        I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

I actually wouldn't mind if they had both Vala and Sam on the show as regulars IF they made Vala more like she was in her last episode. She was more understated and less "Look at me! Look at me!" and she was actually gelling with the team (I loved the basketball scene). My only problem with the Vala character is that she's sort of a vacuum. She sucks every ounce of attention towards her character. When she was around during the earlier eps none of the other characters that I like and/or would be interested in getting to know got any kind of focus at all and I felt that was detrimental for the Mitchell character since he was a new face and Teal'c was once again reduced to wallpaper (I know...what's new).

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
            I actually wouldn't mind if they had both Vala and Sam on the show as regulars IF they made Vala more like she was in her last episode. She was more understated and less "Look at me! Look at me!" and she was actually gelling with the team (I loved the basketball scene). My only problem with the Vala character is that she's sort of a vacuum. She sucks every ounce of attention towards her character. When she was around during the earlier eps none of the other characters that I like and/or would be interested in getting to know got any kind of focus at all and I felt that was detrimental for the Mitchell character since he was a new face and Teal'c was once again reduced to wallpaper (I know...what's new).
            I agree that Beachhead did seem like a more "classic" SG-1 episode in its focus on the team members, but my guess this is because it was written by Brad Wright - he's got that style to his episodes.

The Vala character in Beachhead though still seemed to have made too far of a leap, IMHO, from the previous episodes. Her personality from the previous episodes made it seem like she was definetely not the type of person to sacrifice herself for others. I wouldn't be surprised if Beachhead was written separately and tagged on without reviewng the previous episodes.

Comment

I could live with the two of them on the series, but for me, Vala would have to tune it down a bit. Not too much, but a bit. Nice to know know she'll be back this season. Sweet!!
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Sum1
                I agree that Beachhead did seem like a more "classic" SG-1 episode in its focus on the team members, but my guess this is because it was written by Brad Wright - he's got that style to his episodes.

The Vala character in Beachhead though still seemed to have made too far of a leap, IMHO, from the previous episodes. Her personality from the previous episodes made it seem like she was definetely not the type of person to sacrifice herself for others. I wouldn't be surprised if Beachhead was written separately and tagged on without reviewng the previous episodes.
                Doesn't agree at all. Even after 6 episodes we don't know real Vala. What we know about her past? What she was like as a teenager or BEFORE being taken as a Goul'd host. I'd love to know it personally, 'cause it would help to understand her doings now. Vala is extremely lonely and starving for friendship, but nobody seems to notice it. I'd love to see an episode with just Vala and Sam, having to work with each other for a while and having a conversation in the meantime. I bet there're things Vala would never tell Daniel, but another woman is completely different matter. Just give her this chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Sum1:
                  I highly doubt a five person team would happen. I remember reading Robert C. Cooper saying that having five people on the team was too much and that was why Corin Nemec couldn't stay in season 7. If they were to add a fifth person to the team now, that would just be asking him to cause problems, and he would be quite justified in doing so, IMHO.
                  I really don't think a five person team was the major issue in that circumstance. I think the problem was that Daniel and Jonus basically served the same function on the team. They were the same 'type' of character. Yes, they were both individualized to an extent, but let's face it, Jonus's mindset and his character as written were pretty much the same as Daniel's. Two characters who were so alike in personality like that on the same team on a regular basis would become stale, hard to write for, and both characters would suffer for it. They'd be competing for the same actions and dialogue.

Vala, on the other hand, is like no one else on the team. She is her own character. In no way is she 'interchangeable' with anyone else. She brings a new dynamic for the other characters to play off of. And that is a good thing, IMHO. I personally think that Amanda and Claudia (and, by extension, Vala and Sam) would get on like gangbusters. I'd love to see those two working together. I remember reading how Amanda and Teryl made it a point that they weren't going let their characters fall into stereotype and act catty towards each other, and what you saw develop was a strong female friendship. I really appreciated that. And I think Claudia would be of the same mindset. It would be great to see another prominent female on SG-1 who could stick around and develop a good rapport with Sam. Maybe they could learn a thing or two from each other.

Who knows? I think it could be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by the_cadpig
                    I really don't think a five person team was the major issue in that circumstance. I think the problem was that Daniel and Jonus basically served the same function on the team. They were the same 'type' of character. Yes, they were both individualized to an extent, but let's face it, Jonus's mindset and his character as written were pretty much the same as Daniel's. Two characters who were so alike in personality like that on the same team on a regular basis would become stale, hard to write for, and both characters would suffer for it. They'd be competing for the same actions and dialogue.

Vala, on the other hand, is like no one else on the team. She is her own character. In no way is she 'interchangeable' with anyone else. She brings a new dynamic for the other characters to play off of. And that is a good thing, IMHO. I personally think that Amanda and Claudia (and, by extension, Vala and Sam) would get on like gangbusters. I'd love to see those two working together. I remember reading how Amanda and Teryl made it a point that they weren't going let their characters fall into stereotype and act catty towards each other, and what you saw develop was a strong female friendship. I really appreciated that. And I think Claudia would be of the same mindset. It would be great to see another prominent female on SG-1 who could stick around and develop a good rapport with Sam. Maybe they could learn a thing or two from each other.

Comment

Did you read my mind??

I really wanna know if this is true what Vala told Daniel in his room in TTTB!!
                      Spoiler:

Comment

The place I read this was on RDA's website. Click here to read what Robert Cooper said about why Jonas couldn't stay. It's almost at the end of the whole thing.

Comment

The place I read this was on RDA's website. Click here to read what Robert Cooper said about why Jonas couldn't stay. It's almost at the end of the whole thing.
                          Interesting article (esp. the Ben Browder mention).
                          The reply about Jonas does demonstrate how utterly conventional Stargate SG-1 is. Four characters being the best scenario, or the easiest?

Firefly had 8 main characters and still managed to keep them all alive in each episode.

Comment

Originally posted by smurf
                            Interesting article (esp. the Ben Browder mention).
                            The reply about Jonas does demonstrate how utterly conventional Stargate SG-1 is. Four characters being the best scenario, or the easiest?

Firefly had 8 main characters and still managed to keep them all alive in each episode.
                            My point is that by publicly saying that five people was too much, adding Vala as a fifth person later would essentially be giving Corin Nemec an excuse to take action.

Comment

Well... the best scenario would be "feel free to join us whenever you want to", which wouldn't be exactly "regular", but "almost regular".

Comment

My point is that by publicly saying that five people was too much, adding Vala as a fifth person later would essentially be giving Corin Nemec an excuse to take action.
                                Not really. What producers say are the reasons for not bringing back characters are occasionally "white lies" designed to protect an actor's reputation.

On another show I'm familiar with, an actor just wasn't working out and the "people with the money" ordered the producers to replace him.

Of course, producers are never going to make a public statement about the actor not working out. A statement like that can tarnish an actor's reputation. So, they make up something that sounds like it's story-driven. They are basically doing the actor a favor.

(by not identifying the actor or the show, I'm essentially doing the same thing)

I'm not aware of what the case is with Corin Nemec, but I would never assume that public statements about actor's dismissals or replacement are the absolute truth.

There's also cases where a writer might change their mind. The statement about four being ideal, doesn't seem like a "carved in stone" statement to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X