No announcement yet.

There But For the Grace of God (119)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A model of how to do outstanding episodes. One of the best episodes of the season one along with "The Torment of Tantalus" and in top five of the series in whole. And as far as I can remember, it's the only four episode season ending/start amongst all SG series.

I agree that it is a nice way to tell a "what if" story without damaging the main plot curve and dealing with its aftermath. What if Daniel wouldn't be here from the very beginning? What if Teal'C would stay Apophis' First Prime? What if Sam wouldn't be Captain Carter? What'd happen if Catherine would still run the program?

Daniel clearly got ears deep in you-know-what on that planet just from his plain curiousity and willingness to study everything possible. But in the end that saved our Earth from destruction. It was that bit of luck that literally is capable of saving world.

I enjoyed the weirdness of things in that episode greatly. Colonel Hammond, General O'Neill leading the StarGate Association (according to GW's wiki), though after later seasons General O'Neill sounds more familiar than Colonel. Speaking of Jack, he was way different there. But it's understandable as his home just got destroyed. He's no longer a joker, but a ruthless soldier. Sam as a civilian was a strange view, but interesting. And that was gem for Sam/Jack shippers. And she's the same tough Sam as in our reality when she uses that grenade to take all the jaffa with her. Daniel of AU had some reason to refuse join the program, and I can't even guess why, but it was ironic after he got killed by the same aliens he was trying to study in Egypt without leaving Earth.

Local Teal'C seems to be different from ours only in hair. His face told the truth, that he hates being a slave of the false god in this reality as much as in ours, but Jack's decision to nuke Chu'lak toughened his heart. He lost family and people and had nobody to free from shackles from that moment, and he killed the man who ordered the death of his beloved ones. But he gave Daniel a chance in the end of episode. Instead of shooting him dead on sight, he waited until the gate was opened and Daniel ran. So maybe O'Neill message had some impact on him after all. And it was fun to watch jaffa trying to disarm the selfdestruct and batting each other hands.

The most important people of the whole world were evacuated from Earth via SGA and that attracted Goa'Uld to the Cheyenne Mountain complex and speeded up things there, making Daniel eventually the only survivior there. Watching Chevron Guy in civilian and doing a lot of fighting was amusing too. It's a shame he never made it to the gate, obviously either getting killed by jaffa or by self-destruct. Can't understand well what made Jack helping our Daniel except of realisation that his own world was doomed already and urge to save some similar then. I guess if he hadn't used the camera to show Teal'C our reality, Daniel would record some of that reality and used that tape in the next episode. Catherine did the same thing Jack did, technically: if there's another she living happily with Ernest, so be it, let's save them.

So, this episode is centered mostly around Daniel, in my opinion, and shows how important he is to the program. He brought that slim chance of salvation with him from that reality and what happened to it where he wasn't along with SGC, influencing its actions, was a disaster.

Those aliens who made that quantum mirror surely did a great thing, both dangerous and beneficial.

Oh, and the ending of the episode: "Jack, they're coming!" sounds and looks extremely similar to "Everett! They're coming!"

10/10
    Homo sum et nihil humani a me alienum puto, sic quod feci quod potui et sic potui, faciant meliora potentes. (c)

sigpic

Comment

Currently watching this episode...and something just hit me. When Daniel first meets Jack in the AU, he tries to convince him that they know each other by telling him about Charlie's death. It hadn't hit me before, but this is a neat little parallelism that reoccurs in Continuum. Daniel tries the same thing, only that time Jack isn't nearly as convinced and obviously, his reality was different that time around because Charlie hadn't died. I just thought that was a fascinating little aside.

Also, I couldn't help but notice that AU Sam's hair was much prettier and more realistic than AU Sam in Point of View. Interesting.

Love this episode...and what it leads into. It is so nice to see Catherine (even if she is AU in this one). Wish she'd've been in more episodes.
      Enjoying the Stargate Re-Watch Event: "This should not get old, General!"

Noxbait's Fan Fiction

Comment

Originally posted by bobsenior View Post
        I'm sure this question has been asked and answered before but in this episode in the alternate reality the SGC is called the SGA, anyone know what that stands for? (And don't say Atlantis)
        I would've thought something like Stargate Administration, but that's just a guess... Stargate Alt-Universe(if the director was being funny)

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
        "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
        a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

10/10

Story by David Kemper - who did a great job on Farscape.

My only complaints are:

Alternate universe Tealc. I was honestly expecting them to show him with a cheesy AU Spock type goatee. Although they didn't do that, they did give him a cheesy hairpiece!

There's no reason to let Daniel gate immediately back to the planet with the mirror. He simply could of gated there AFTER going to the planet they were escaping to.
          Last edited by FrodoFraggins; 19 March 2011, 02:13 AM.
          Babylon 5 - Farscape - Lost - Deadwood - Rome - Carnivale - Dexter - Sopranos - The Wire

Comment

Originally posted by Lunaeclipse
            The strongest thing, for me, in this episode is that Teal'c shot his alternate self. It shows that Teal'c has a great strength. I don't think they could question his loyalty (if they did) after that.
            I think you're confusing this episode with "Point of View" (306), where the alternate Sam and alternate Kawalski come to our reality.

Originally posted by FrodoFraggins View Post
            My only complaints are:

Alternate universe Tealc. I was honestly expecting them to show him with a cheesy AU Spock type goatee. Although they didn't do that, they did give him a cheesy hairpiece!

There's no reason to let Daniel gate immediately back to the planet with the mirror. He simply could of gated there AFTER going to the planet they were escaping to.
            Isn't there an alt Teal'c with a cheesy goatee? Or is that a shoop going around?

Also, wasn't beta site fitted with an iris, and closed off? Even so, if they had dialed the beta site and left through it, they would have risked the Jaffa seeing the coordinates on the computers.

Finally, perhaps they all believed Daniel had to get to his reality immediately, because the invasion could start any moment?

Originally posted by Noxbait View Post
            Love this episode...and what it leads into. It is so nice to see Catherine (even if she is AU in this one). Wish she'd've been in more episodes.
            Agreed! Catherine's a great character.

Originally posted by bobsenior View Post
            I'm sure this question has been asked and answered before but in this episode in the alternate reality the SGC is called the SGA, anyone know what that stands for? (And don't say Atlantis)
            Stargate Association, if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by stupidoctopus View Post
              I think you're confusing this episode with "Point of View" (306), where the alternate Sam and alternate Kawalski come to our reality.
              Ooops yep sorry. Must've forgotten which thread I was in. Thanks I removed the post.

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
              "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
              a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

Originally posted by Lunaeclipse View Post
                Ooops yep sorry. Must've forgotten which thread I was in. Thanks I removed the post.
                No problem. Honestly, it's quite easy to confuse, considering they are the two Quantum Mirror episodes.

Comment

After Teal'c sees the warning thingie and tells Jack that the planet is radioactive, Jack tells Daniel they need to go. Daniel is upset since there are many interesting things to see. Why didn't Jack tell him about the danger? It would have taken less time than arguing with him.
                  Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
                    After Teal'c sees the warning thingie and tells Jack that the planet is radioactive, Jack tells Daniel they need to go. Daniel is upset since there are many interesting things to see. Why didn't Jack tell him about the danger? It would have taken less time than arguing with him.
                    Jack is a soldier. He gives an order so he expects it to be followed. If he stopped to explain everything each time Daniel wanted to walk head first into a dangerous situation, they'd never leave the gate room.

sigpic

Comment

I would have liked to see them come back with a geiger counter.. just to see how much radiation there was//

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                        Jack is a soldier. He gives an order so he expects it to be followed. If he stopped to explain everything each time Daniel wanted to walk head first into a dangerous situation, they'd never leave the gate room.
                        I understand the soldier mentality, but by now Jack must realize that Daniel is not military. Surely the one second it would take to say, "...because there is a high level of radiation," is not too much. It would forestall arguments.

Mind you, then there would be no story.
                        Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
                          I understand the soldier mentality, but by now Jack must realize that Daniel is not military. Surely the one second it would take to say, "...because there is a high level of radiation," is not too much. It would forestall arguments.

Mind you, then there would be no story.
                          By the same token, by now Daniel should realize that when Jack gives an order, he means it. He doesn't mean "let's discuss it and see which one of us right".

I think Jack and Hammond have been entirely too lenient with Daniel throughout the first season, and way beyond that.

I have to wonder, though, how many times Daniel got left behind on one of these trips. When he comes running out of the room where the quantum mirror was, and finds the rest of the team gone, he says something like "I really hate it when this happens." Sounds like he's done this before and they left without him.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                            By the same token, by now Daniel should realize that when Jack gives an order, he means it. He doesn't mean "let's discuss it and see which one of us right".

I think Jack and Hammond have been entirely too lenient with Daniel throughout the first season, and way beyond that.

I have to wonder, though, how many times Daniel got left behind on one of these trips. When he comes running out of the room where the quantum mirror was, and finds the rest of the team gone, he says something like "I really hate it when this happens." Sounds like he's done this before and they left without him.

In response to your last paragraph, I wonder if Daniel wasn't referring to when he got stuck with Nem in "Fire and Water." I don't think there was any other time he got left. That's what I've always assumed he meant. I really can't see Jack NOT making sure his team was all present and accounted for when they went back through the gate.
                            Enjoying the Stargate Re-Watch Event: "This should not get old, General!"

Noxbait's Fan Fiction

Comment

Originally posted by Noxbait View Post
                              In response to your last paragraph, I wonder if Daniel wasn't referring to when he got stuck with Nem in "Fire and Water." I don't think there was any other time he got left. That's what I've always assumed he meant. I really can't see Jack NOT making sure his team was all present and accounted for when they went back through the gate.
                              Thanks. I hadn't thought about that.

Comment

I always enjoy episodes with alternative realities.
                                What if...
                                Really liked it.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X