No announcement yet.

There But For the Grace of God (119)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm pretty sure that was a reference to a space shuttle rather than a ship in the sense that we know it, ie: 304's.

Comment

wait, why? how would a shuttle be useful in their situation (Goa'uld attacking Earth)? I thought that he meant that "Voyager" was transporting people to the Alpha site form Earth...

Comment

Originally posted by gateman2007 View Post
        wait, why? how would a shuttle be useful in their situation (Goa'uld attacking Earth)? I thought that he meant that "Voyager" was transporting people to the Alpha site form Earth...
        assuming its true, it was season 1; they didn't really have a whole lot at their fingertips besides those "formidable craft". humans have a habit of doing utterly unhelpful things at the most hopeless and inopportune moments.
        sigpic
        "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
        Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

it was season 1 for our universe. Not nessicarily for the alternate SGC. They could have figured out how to use the gate at any point before the episode.

Comment

i remember voyager being a real US airforce carrier, is that right?

Comment

Nope. No voyager carrier..

Comment

Originally posted by First View Post
                That seems to be the only logical possibility. Although I don't know why trans-dimensional beings would actually need the mirror. But then again, we can walk from point A to point B, yet we still invent machines to transport us from point A to point B. So it makes sense.
                No it's not. Obviously the mirror would've been created in countless AU realities by AU versions of the aliens that made it in our universe. The aliens who made it would've known this and it was probably the main concept behind the design! This means however that the mirror can only send you to universes in which the mirror has been invented (but the number of these universes would be countless).

Comment

Ok, just popped this one in when I went downstairs to the treadmill. What an AWESOME episode! I recall liking it, but not loving it!

First, though, to answer something a few people said (years ago according to the post dates, but whatever...), Hammond DOES say that they are ALL going to evacuate to the planet with Daniel, but their first priority is to keep the Jaffa from the Gate. So, they weren't THAT suicidal and selfless in letting Daniel dial the Quantum Mirror planet. They were planning on leaving, too.

Back to the complete awesomeness now of this ep. Fantastic from beginning to end. The opening is great with the sign from the Goa'uld to beware. Like the look of the mirror. Love having Catherine back, great continuity there, especially referencing Ernest. All the AU differences were clever. The action was perfect, I almost lost my step on the treadmill I was getting so nervous waiting with Daniel for the Stargate to dial out!

The acting, wow! It was so nice to see RDA acting serious and competent (I like funny Jack, but dumb Jack got a little grating the last couple seasons). AT was great at acting like Sam, and yet totally different. My favourite moment of hers is watching her response to the tape of the 'other' SG-1. CJ played the moment well when O'Neill was trying to convince him of the AU. You almost believe he is going to turn to their side. Mostly though, what an amazing performance by MS! I wanted to scream with him in the holding cell with Catherine, I laughed when he said, "I think I'm dead", and I smiled when I saw my favourite linguist translating the message on the recorder that no one else could figure out. That's my little genius! The everyone was good, the episode really rested on his acting and I think he really carried it well. This is the first episode where he just shone and became the Daniel we (or at least me) all know and love!

Comment

Loved that this ep starts up a three-part episode ending the season. Brilliant acting from everyone.

Why is that Daniel is always dead in
                    Spoiler:
                    alternate realities?

I do have major issues with consistency.

1. How on earth where they able to have a Stargate program without having Daniel on the team or having ever visited Abydos? The cartouche data with all the possible gate addresses and the point of origin in Abydos is located far far away from the gate and without the interaction with the Abydonians, they would have never gotten the information.

2. If they have only referenced Daniel's work, it wouldn't equate to getting the actual person's himself. So wouldn't the program be called "Doorway to Heaven" program or something? Hehe. I mean, the boy did translate/give the name for the program they are currently running.

I guess that's the only problem I had with the two alternate reality stories, it sort of backhandedly diminishes the contributions or role of Daniel in jump starting the whole Stargate program.

Well, Catherine Langford was still head of the program in this AU, at least there was a movie character that wasn't totally cut-off.
                    Where it all began.

sigpic

"It’s not DOOR to HEAVEN. The proper translation is…STARGATE." Daniel Jackson

"What the hell is that?" Daniel Jackson

"Your “Star Gate.” " Catherine Langford

Stargate (Movie)

Comment

Perhaps he was the on who still did all that, but instead of getting put on the team, he was left behind.

Comment

Vhladynineer, you bring up some interesting points, especially about the cartouche. But I don't think this diminishes Daniel. If anything it proves how valuable he is, because in almost any reality he isn't there everything is going to pot. Must be something like "Save Daniel, Save the World"
                        If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt. ~Henry J. Kaiser

Comment

Very true. Also i wonder how anyone else would react to what daniel had to go through, of seeing his world destroyed in one reality and starting to see it happen in this one (with the second episode of this three parter)..

Comment

The key to any alternate reality is the hair.

Rating: 7/10

Full Review: http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/2...ce-of-god.html
                            My attempt to watch every episode of SG-1 and Atlantis this summer:
                            http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/

Comment

The deep space transmission they received that tells them the address from where the attack originated seems rather obscure. First of all how did they figure out the address to a ship that obviously wasn't involved in the attack on these people. If it had been they wouldn't be able to tell what planet it was returning to. Also I wonder why Daniel's own reality didn't receive the same deep space transmission.

Does anybody have any theories about who it came from? Or for that matter how they got it?
                              sigpic

Comment

Wow. A bomb-happy Jack. Long-haired Sam engaged to Jack. Teal'c has hair! No wonder Dannyboy was so confused.

I enjoyed this episode. I was hoping for a happy ending for the alternate world. So was Daniel. I wonder what the alternate SGC did to really piss off the snakeheads?

I wonder if alternate Jack did not bomb Chulak, would alternate Teal'c have given them a chance?

At first I was irritated at Danny for not listening to Jack, but then I realised that it must be fate because now he ended up knowing about the strong possibility of a goauld attack.

I can't wait for the next ep!

Comment

Working...
                                X