Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snakeheads.

Comment

Evenstar made some excellent points (we've been debating for pages now ), we just happen to come down on opposite sides of an issue with a wide range of opinion. I suppose the degree of divergence is what has allowed for such debate.

Comment

I miss Teal'c with Jr.

Comment

I miss Teal'c with Jr.
          *DSG-1 steps carefully around the debate*

Comment

Okies, I'm still catching up with reading this thread anyway lol.

Comment

Heh, no implied condemnation! I was just admiring your diplomacy.

Comment

Interesting reading. I took the scene with Danny killing the baby lava's as a bit of comedy break I kinda saw the humor in it. It took me by surprise tho when he did because Danny never really kills anything.

Comment

Interesting reading. I took the scene with Danny killing the baby lava's as a bit of comedy break I kinda saw the humor in it. It took me by surprise tho when he did because Danny never really kills anything.
                  Good Lord! Uh, no disrespect intended, DSG1, but you really have to think about these things a little more deeply! The writers put a lot of work into these complex character moments that you're taking as comedy!

Comment

Ok sorry. I never take it as seriously as that. Its only scifi to me. I dont watch it to tare it apart. I watch it to enjoy it. And really, they pretty much killed them off in later eps anyway.

Comment

Ok sorry. I never take it as seriously as that. Its only scifi to me. I dont watch it to tare it apart. I watch it to enjoy it.
                      There's a couple of things that you need to keep in mind about the forum. One- there's no such thing as 'only science fiction', and Two- it's very serious business. . Seriously, though, SG-1 was/is a fairly subtle and complex blend of elements which are quite fun to analyse, and often quite serious in their intent. It wasn't just a comedy/action show. A lot of attention was paid to ethical and moral dilemas and to complex character interactions. There's a lot there. Might I suggest watching again with an eye to underlying meaning?

Comment

Will do. Im an old timer thats been around the scifi block for many years. I've been a Trekkie forever. I did enjoy this ep tho because I like Teal's eps. Now back to topic.

I didnt think Danny killing the snakeheads was the major vocal point of the ep it was about Teal'c saving his son's life afterall.

Comment

My view is was that Daniel wanted revenge. The Goa'uld had caused him so much suffereing with his wife and brother-in-law. Daniel wanted revenge. Was he right in what he did? Probably not but being a little dark is what made Stargate entertaining
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
                            But you're okay with killing hosts whose slavery could have been prevented?
                            I feel the need to point out that we aren't talking about children with bad parents, here. We're talking about snakey alien parasites. A better comparison would be tapeworms...
                            But these parasites are not like tapeworms, they're sentient beings. They are self-aware, they think, feel, plan, fear death, all the aspects of sentient life.

Those Goa'uld larva were the children of a mature Goa'uld Queen, they had absolutely no control over their parentage. By some cosmic quirk they could very well have been children of Egeria and grow up to become Tok'ra.

I'm all for preventing them from taking hosts by isolating them, keeping humans away from them, trying to remove the symbiote, and only as a last resort killing the host with the symbiote. But I cannot condemn them to death based on something so completely out of their control.

sigpic

Comment

But these parasites are not like tapeworms, they're sentient beings. They are self-aware, they think, feel, plan, fear death, all the aspects of sentient life.

Those Goa'uld larva were the children of a mature Goa'uld Queen, they had absolutely no control over their parentage. By some cosmic quirk they could very well have been children of Egeria and grow up to become Tok'ra.

I'm all for preventing them from taking hosts by isolating them, keeping humans away from them, trying to remove the symbiote, and only as a last resort killing the host with the symbiote. But I cannot condemn them to death based on something so completely out of their control.
                              I have to give you kudos for standing by your convictions, and I mean that sincerly! You make the hard choices, and follow through with them all the way. That's more than a little admirable.

You might guess that I disagree, of course. I feel that they've given up the right to that consideration by making every attempt to enslave the galaxy, and succeeding in large part. There is no symbiote that doesn't present a clear and present danger. Their unwillingness to take non-sentient hosts only adds to that.

Still, I'm very impressed by how well you've thought out a difficult argument, even if I don't agree.

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
                                I have to give you kudos for standing by your convictions, and I mean that sincerly! You make the hard choices, and follow through with them all the way. That's more than a little admirable.
                                Thanks. Though I must admit, I've had personal experience with stuff along these lines. Children who were mistreated or discriminated against because of their parentage, not for anything they themselves did. So essentially blaming children for their parents' actions irks me.

You might guess that I disagree, of course. I feel that they've given up the right to that consideration by making every attempt to enslave the galaxy, and succeeding in large part. There is no symbiote that doesn't present a clear and present danger. Their unwillingness to take non-sentient hosts only adds to that.
                                But that's exactly my point, it's the mature symbiotes have tried to enslave the galaxy and take unwilling hosts, and yes they've forfeited any right to compassion because of their actions.

But those larval Goa'uld have done absolutely nothing but swim around in that tank. They do present a danger, but one that can be managed without resorting to killing them all, IMO. That treads far too close to genocide for me to be comfortable with.

And since they themselves haven't done anything evil yet, then yes I believe they have a right to life just like any other sentient being.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X