No announcement yet.

Emancipation (103)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe I am the only one but I like this ep VERY MUCH!
    The topic, the acting, the actors and the conversations, there is tension, there is violence, there is love, there is men versa women, there are dogs and horses...entertained me well - still does!
    By the way - I do not look for what is wrong in an ep, I look for what I like!
    CARPE DIEM
    ANJA

Comment

Originally posted by Quantumentanglement View Post
      This is one episode that I skip every time I re-watch the show. I know it is character building for Carter and I like Carter. The scene where she subdues the dude is actually the highlight, I agree. And it is good that it highlights the oppression of women. However, ultimately the episode is essentially lacking in anything sci-fi related and I never feel anything for the "protagonist", whom I assume is the kid.
      I don't see it as character building for her. Unless the audience needed proof that an experienced air force pilot could hold her own in hand to hand combat...I just see it as a filler episode if there ever was one. Nothing was really gained from this, no new knowledge or experience or anything. I chalk this up to clumsy 1990's "TV-feminism". Though this episode could have been much more.
      By Nolamom
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
        I don't see it as character building for her. Unless the audience needed proof that an experienced air force pilot could hold her own in hand to hand combat...I just see it as a filler episode if there ever was one. Nothing was really gained from this, no new knowledge or experience or anything. I chalk this up to clumsy 1990's "TV-feminism". Though this episode could have been much more.
        I thought some herbal treatment by the tribal people was given to them, which they took back to the SGC, but we never heard more of.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
          I thought some herbal treatment by the tribal people was given to them, which they took back to the SGC, but we never heard more of.
          I think they tried to pretend that this never happened, much like Carter's lecture on reproductive organs
          By Nolamom
          sigpic

Comment

This is what the illustrated companion has to say about this episode:

In the words of Jonathan Glassner: "It was too preachy, and we quickly realised we shouldn't be that preachy. Science Fiction is a very good medium for having little moral tales and subtle messages built into the stories, and that's what we were trying to do. We just went way too far with that one; so we pulled back afterwards."

Amanda Tapping concurs: "Because none of us really like the episode, I was feeling a little off base with it."

Anyways, quiz- and jigsaw time:

A 3-part quiz covering all three episodes of the week (102, 103 and 104).
            The jigsaw puzzle.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I've never liked this episode. It seems to serve no purpose. It's not really ground breaking that women shouldn't be treated as property. I would have liked to explore more about the Shavadai. I rank this as terrible
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Two minutes and 13 seconds
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  Two minutes and 13 seconds
                  Witchcraft! 4 Minutes and 11 seconds. This one was easy....too easy....
                  By Nolamom
                  sigpic

Comment

Indeed -- 2 minutes means too easy... savor the moment, it will be your last 2 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      Indeed -- 2 minutes means too easy... savor the moment, it will be your last 2 minutes.
                      *Reports FH to the mods for personal threats*
                      By Nolamom
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                        *Reports FH to the mods for personal threats*

Comment

As I wait for my gluegun to heat up, I continue the jigsaw puzzles, and here's my time for Emancipation: 2:49

Comment

I just rewatched this with my husband (who hasn't seen the show). This is a really bad episode. I could care less about the kid and his romance. And spend the whole episode thinking Sam could just kick his ass and get it over with. Or better yet when the team realized that her being there was not accepted in the culture when they first meet the people, they should have just had her return to the SGC.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
                              I just rewatched this with my husband (who hasn't seen the show). This is a really bad episode. I could care less about the kid and his romance. And spend the whole episode thinking Sam could just kick his ass and get it over with. Or better yet when the team realized that her being there was not accepted in the culture when they first meet the people, they should have just had her return to the SGC.
                              It's scarily accurate for the times but you are correct -- the episode should not have seen the light of day, not in this format any way.

Comment

*sells FH for a 100 gold pieces*
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X