No announcement yet.

Emancipation (103)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grammatically, it's the same as asking a woman. It isn't generally used in the singular (i.e., you ask a woman a question, but you ask questions of a woman).

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
      Grammatically, it's the same as asking a woman. It isn't generally used in the singular (i.e., you ask a woman a question, but you ask questions of a woman).

Seaboe
      Thanks learned sth that's not in my grammar!
      CARPE DIEM
      ANJA

Comment

So what do you guys think happened on P3X-595? What do you think Carter took off and how much of her do you suppose Jack got to see?

Comment

Originally posted by Claire98909 View Post
          So what do you guys think happened on P3X-595? What do you think Carter took off and how much of her do you suppose Jack got to see?
          Nothing happened, and he got nothing... just military-Carter and then funky-headdress-Carter.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

When should something like 'taking off and seeing' have happened? On horseback?
            CARPE DIEM
            ANJA

Comment

I'm talking about when they're sitting around the fire. Sam says "I've never been so happy to see you guys before." Jack replies "Oh sure you have. Remember that time on P3X-595 when you drank that stuff that made you take off-". Sam cuts him off, saying they won't discuss it right now.

Why was she so happy to see them? Because she was silly drunk and therefore happy about everything and everyone? Or because they saved her from being taken advantage of in her state?

Comment

Gosh, it's simple, not everything is about sex. It's a PG-13 show. You want to see lots of nudity, watch Game of Thrones.

I'm fairly certain that Carter wouldn't have been the only one drunk as a skunk on that one planet, so who knows what Teal'c or Daniel did while they were under the influence of moonshine.

You must have missed the part where she was being traded as property to the "bad guy" so the "good guy" could be with the woman he loves (although the trade went south). He gained nothing, the other guy a blond woman with blue eyes. A prized possession.

She was just relieved to see them.

Comment

You seem to have an obsession with Carter and sex. And I believe that in another thread, Skydiver said that it was inappropriate to keep discussing that subject in such a disrespectful manner. Just because it's with Jack this time doesn't make it any less so. Could you please move along to another subject besides sex and who did what with Carter? And if you insist on talking about this subject, could you move it along to the Ship Appreciation Thread since you included Jack in it this time. This makes about the 8th or 9th thread you've brought up the subject of Sam and sex and who she may have had it with.

You should really go read Skydiver's post in the "Ripple Effect" thread about this subject you seem obsessed with. And read the rules for newbies on Gateworld.
                  Last edited by hedwig; 06 November 2015, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Don't know if it was meant to be a reference to Stargate, but in the new show Time After Time, a young H.G. Wells also asked 'What is an Oprah?' after traveling to present day. Got a huge laugh out of me

Comment

It's scary to notice how accurate this episode still is. This is definitely one that will continue to be accurate for a long time to come.

Oppression of women because of some antiquated notion they need protecting. Please...
                      Perhaps when the Goa'uld were still coming to steal your people, but after a while it was just convenient for men to not allow the women any sort of self -- instead they are objects which can be traded, killed, abused, used like lifestock.

The kid's in love and love makes you do stupid things. However, trading one woman who is enjoying your hospitality is not considered good behavior, no matter how in love he is. On top of that, he damn well knows what kind of man the chieftain is so he clearly doesn't care about what could happen to Carter once he has traded her off.

The fact his trade does not go the way he likes, is just another kick to the stomach (and might I say, well deserved kid).

I thoroughly enjoy Carter kicking the dude's butt.

Not a particular favorite, but in the end ... not an entirely bad one either.

How would you rate SG-1's "Emancipation?"

Excellent
                      Good
                      Fair
                      Poor
                      Terrible

Comment

The trouble with your discussion of the kid in love is that you're making the assumption that because he's in love, he actually sees a woman as something other than property. Clearly, he doesn't. He doesn't trade Sam away because he's in love and love makes one do stupid things. He trades her away because she's property that has serendipitiously fallen into his hands that is of equal value to the property he is trying to acquire.

Love had nothing to do with this transaction.

Seaboe
                        If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Would he have traded Carter if he had not been in love with Nya?

He didn't want weapons, gold or anything else -- he wanted Nya. And when Thurgan didn't want to trade his daughter for Carter (clearly not of equal value), the kid still tried for Nya to come with him. So, I do think love had a part to play in him using Carter in trade.

Comment

Yes, but Nya was still property and the purpose of the trade was to exchange a property he didn't want (Sam) for one he did (Nya). I don't consider that love. Sexual attraction, maybe.

Seaboe

Comment

Yet, his father does refer to it as blinded by the ... can't remember what it is he says, when Carter gives him a funny look and Daniel elaborates with "love".

So, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Comment

This is one episode that I skip every time I re-watch the show. I know it is character building for Carter and I like Carter. The scene where she subdues the dude is actually the highlight, I agree. And it is good that it highlights the oppression of women. However, ultimately the episode is essentially lacking in anything sci-fi related and I never feel anything for the "protagonist", whom I assume is the kid.

Comment

Working...
                                X