Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
    IMHO the series ended with fishing.

The spin-off they called S9 & S10 ended with that other team walking through the gate. (Unless you count the encore performance at the end of 200 with the real SG-1 walking through the gate together.)
    It doesn't work that way. Personal preference doesn't change the series finale of SG1
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      It doesn't work that way. Personal preference doesn't change the series finale of SG1
      It does for me. That's why it's my opinion, which I am entitled to. (And I didn't watch SGU either because I don't consider it truly Stargate, which is also my right.)

And in fact, even TPTB wanted S9 & S10 to be a different series called "Stargate Command." The fact that SyFy (that bastion of astute programing decisions) insisted that it keep the SG-1 title doesn't make it the same series from my POV.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
        It does for me. That's why it's my opinion, which I am entitled to. (And I didn't watch SGU either because I don't consider it truly Stargate, which is also my right.)

And in fact, even TPTB wanted S9 & S10 to be a different series called "Stargate Command." The fact that SyFy (that bastion of astute programing decisions) insisted that it keep the SG-1 title doesn't make it the same series from my POV.

[im]http://signavatar.com/7792_s.gif[/img]
        Opinions don't overide facts. Its still a fact that SGU is Stargate and S9 and S10 are part of SG1
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          Opinions don't overide facts. Its still a fact that SGU is Stargate and S9 and S10 are part of SG1
          A version thereof; that I prefer to ignore. As entertainment I'm not required to entertain everything that is presented to me.

Comment

Just getting caught up on the rewatch discussion.

I think I may be in the minority that I'm glad they didn't keep Kawalsky around. First of all, I liked the actor from the movie better. (I have nothing against JA, and I think he does a great job in all of his appearances; it's just my personal preference.) As I understand it the PTB tried to hire the guy from the movie but he didn't want to do a series so they promised to off him in the first couple of eps, but he still didn't want to do it. When they signed JA to play Kawalsky he was willing to do a series but they had already decided to get rid of his character.

Second, I think the dynamic between Jack and Kawalsky as old buddies would have overshadowed the team, as it clearly did in this episode. I'm fine with that for one episode, and I think this story called for it and was a good one to tell right off. But I wouldn't have been happy for it to continue.

I also prefer the ending to the original CotG over the recut (other than some pacing, music and effects improvements I don't consider the recut an improvement) because it leads into this episode so well. It was really a brilliant stroke at the time. Imagine you're watching this pilot for a new show and you think maybe all tune in next week. Then at the end you see one of your main good guys (from the movie no less) with his meanacing glowy eyes. You'd have to come back. I have no idea what the initial ratings were like, but ending like that was a great way to keep your audiance for the next outing.

Then at the end we see our team, for the first time as our team on the ramp off on their next adventure, despite the very real risks and dangers that have just been brought home to them.

Love it!

Comment

I think if they had kept Kawalsky for the series, it would have been possible to do it without overshadowing the team aspect of SG-1. Kawalsky would have had his own team, and the show could even have occasionally explored that aspect and character group... and then in situations when SG-1 was in trouble, guess whose team is going to show up and help? Kawalsky's... and then you get to play with the O'Neill-Kawalsky dynamic a bit.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
              Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
              sigpic
              now also appearing on DeviantArt
              Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                I think if they had kept Kawalsky for the series, it would have been possible to do it without overshadowing the team aspect of SG-1. Kawalsky would have had his own team, and the show could even have occasionally explored that aspect and character group... and then in situations when SG-1 was in trouble, guess whose team is going to show up and help? Kawalsky's... and then you get to play with the O'Neill-Kawalsky dynamic a bit.
                Personally, I wasn't so enamored of the O'Neill-Kawalsky dynamic that I cared to play with it. I'm glad that the secondary teams had mainly minor characters. I liked Reynolds and while I maybe could have seen more of him I wasn't bothered that he stayed in the background. They used Makepeace to good advantage storywise. I enjoyed getting a peek at SG-13's mission in Heroes. That about did it for me.

Kawalsky was just to important a character with too much history not to take a place on center stage when he was around, which is why I think they used him appropriately when he was in the story. I think if he had been a regular he would have been on the team. And since I love my team the way it was (Jack, Daniel, Sam and Teal'c) I just can't imagine how it could be any other way, and I don't want to.

Comment

If they kept Kawalsky (either on SG-1 or as SG-2 team leader) it would have probably turned into more of a boys' club. Or like Janet once said: this man's army. The banter was good between them, but I agree that he was put to good use in the show. Although he could have also had the same fate as Ferretti if they'd kept him alive, i.e. to go off the radar after a few appearances.
                  Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                  Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                  On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I think putting him on the team with Jack would have made it top-heavy in terms of rank; they'd have been far more likely to give him SG-2, which in fact is what occurred in the series, except that he died before we got to see any of that really move forward. And I don't think he'd have been used in every episode, either; more than likely he'd have functioned more as a recurring character who showed up in perhaps every fourth or fifth episode. But giving Jack a foil in the form of someone he's known since his pre-Stargate days would, IMO, have fleshed him out even more fully and dramatically as a character... not that he wasn't anyway, but I think we might have seen aspects of him that we never got to see, and I find that thought intriguing. Not that this should surprise anyone, perhaps...

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                    Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
                    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Now, i am a litte late to the rewatch, but i hope i can join the currently season in a few weeks .
                      So, today i have watched "The Enemy Within". I am sad too, about Kawalskys death at the last minutes.
                      At first, i had the hope, that Kawalsky survive his symbiont, but than as he is running to the gate and fight with tealc i need to realize, that he will die.

I dont know, if kawalsky dont die. Perhaps it will be nice, that he has his own team and so he sometimes join the sg1 team, to help them. I would like this .

Comment

Not the best episode, but we get to know that the Goa'uld is powerful.

Comment

This episode was good in the way it showed how Goa'uld operate and just how nasty they can be . But I am gald Kalwalsky is not hanging around. The team needed to be able to learn about each other on each mission , this way they all argue with each other and have individual opinions, Kalwalsky seemed to be Jacks yes man.

( Study news Literature review completed , Essay has been started.)
                          sigpic

Comment

I never saw Kawalsky as "Jack's yes man" at all. Rather, he was someone who had worked with Jack before and was Jack's friend as well. I always wished he'd been kept alive and around, as I really would have loved to have had him in the picture as a source of insight into Jack O'Neill the man... because Jack wound up being portrayed as a man in a vacuum, a man with no lasting friendships from his life prior to the Stargate project and I think that rendered him almost two-dimensional for a while, rather than as a three-dimensional human being and a well-rounded character.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                            Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Kawalsky was a carry over from the movie... I think he gained a large respect for Jack after what he did on Abydos and beacause of that trusted Jack's judgement.

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
                              "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
                              a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

Poor Kawalsky. But his character death will not go unavanged and it was not a senseless death. In a way his prescene in SG1 or as a leader in SG-2 was not needed. His treatment of Sam in the two hour premiere was disgusting and hence why I enjoyed his death very much.

It was still sad though.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X