No announcement yet.

The Enemy Within (102)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think his treatment of Sam was disgusting, can you give an example?

I think his character reacted in a fairly (unfortunately) typical way for a professional military man when confronted by an extremely competent military woman.

What this ep did was give us some background to the Goa'uld without making it too much like: "look, we're telling you this stuff that you need to know or the show won't make sense", kind of way.

I also kind of got the impression that the PTB had to give Kowalsky and Ferretti an out, so that we can concentrate on SG-1 without being too tied into what the movie set up. I thought Kowalsky was brave, and scared and the bit with him and Jack over the stereo was great.

Not sure that I liked how he was still influenced by an immature goa'uld even after it had been killed and removed, that seemed to be a weak plot-point for me. But it was a brave and dignified exit for a character who had to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Clanger View Post
      I don't think his treatment of Sam was disgusting, can you give an example?

I think his character reacted in a fairly (unfortunately) typical way for a professional military man when confronted by an extremely competent military woman.
      This. I also think there was an element of testing/teasing involved. Had he been kept around as a long-term character, he'd probably have gotten along just fine with Sam.

I also kind of got the impression that the PTB had to give Kowalsky and Ferretti an out, so that we can concentrate on SG-1 without being too tied into what the movie set up. I thought Kowalsky was brave, and scared and the bit with him and Jack over the stereo was great.
      Yep, they gave him some dimension and depth, which was good. And the brief insight into Jack's role as a friend made Jack more well-rounded as well. Of course, it left me wanting more.

Not sure that I liked how he was still influenced by an immature goa'uld even after it had been killed and removed, that seemed to be a weak plot-point for me. But it was a brave and dignified exit for a character who had to go.
      Actually, it hadn't been killed and removed, and that was the whole point. What had been removed was some kind of sloughed-off portion of the symbiote's body -- its brain was still intact and connected to Kawalsky's. (And yes, I realize this doesn't jibe with what we're told of Goa'uld physiology in later episodes; I'm pretty sure the writers were still experimenting with all of that when they wrote "The Enemy Within". After all, the series did include several retcons from time to time.) So he was under the influence, and occasionally the control, of the immature Goa'uld right up to the moment of his death.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
      Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
      sigpic
      now also appearing on DeviantArt
      Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

see how long it is since I've seen the later eps?

One of the things that I have consistently praised over the years has been some of the simple dialogue and character that the writers have given us. It's very noticeable that they have watched military people and how they act around each other

(but don't get me started on the awful awful radio procedure and weapon handling )

Comment

Originally posted by Jolinarsam View Post
          Did anyone else ever think that Jay Acovone who plays Kawalsky actually looks a lot like French Stewart's Ferretti from the Stargate movie? I wonder if he was originally going to play that part but they decided to give him the bigger role.

Also noticed that Hammond's favorite line has got to be: "You're in no position to make demands." He's two for two so far this season.
          I noticed that also, his personality seemed more in line with Feretti from the movie.

When they thought they had removed the goa'uld but it had become one with him. What did that mean exactly? That it intergrated itself into his brain so well, that they couldn't tell on an MRI after the operation. Because when he died when the back of his head was cut off, it looked like pieces of it fell out. Unless it was supposed to be pieces of brain.
          Last edited by tlw; 19 November 2012, 02:18 PM.

Comment

I just thought of another question. Did Feretti end up being the commander of SG2 after Kawalsky's death.

Comment

Originally posted by tlw View Post
              I just thought of another question. Did Feretti end up being the commander of SG2 after Kawalsky's death.
              Yes, he did.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
              Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
              Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

At least for a while. SG2 changes over the years.

Seaboe
                If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

If they removed most of the goa'uld body during the operation, how would it potentially move to another host in the future? Or would it just grow it back

Comment

It wasn't going to move to another host, it was going to remain in Kawalsky and control him.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                    Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Season 1 episode 2 of my rewatch. A nice episode that ends with the death of kowolsky. Only criticism of it is that maybe kowolsky's death should have come a couple of episodes down the road. It would have helped to develop emotional ties to the character and make his death even more sad. But all in all, it was a good episode. Next up episode 3 emancipation.

Comment

You know what's funny about this? The symbiote that possessed Kawalsky was a "baby snake" from a Jaffa, not a grown one like the one that jumped into Share's neck. How can one of those already act like a grown Gould? As far as I remember, no such "larva jump" has ever been performed again in the entire series.

The episode itself was of course another epic classic. The first "foothold" situation of some sort, and the best way for Teal'c to prove his loyalty.

Comment

Originally posted by Anoobis View Post
                          You know what's funny about this? The symbiote that possessed Kawalsky was a "baby snake" from a Jaffa, not a grown one like the one that jumped into Share's neck. How can one of those already act like a grown Gould? As far as I remember, no such "larva jump" has ever been performed again in the entire series.

The episode itself was of course another epic classic. The first "foothold" situation of some sort, and the best way for Teal'c to prove his loyalty.
                          I always assumed the Goa'uld was right on the verge of taking a host anyway and made the jump a few weeks early. If the Jaffa had survived the symbiot would most likely have been changed and eaten by a system lord.

Comment

Yeah, and also, the worm didn't always have control over the host, so that explained it. Anyway, it was strange.

Comment

I always assumed that that one symbiote was about to change and looked for a host desperately, perfectly knowing how it'll end up otherwise. And that baby snake moment could be an actual excuse for a sloughed off skin Warner get out of Kawalsky, leaving the head in. Did we ever get a glimpse on how the change between larva and adult Goa'uld happens? Maybe sloughing off is natural in that process, and then parasite grows into that big black snake from a tiny black snake.
                              Homo sum et nihil humani a me alienum puto, sic quod feci quod potui et sic potui, faciant meliora potentes. (c)

sigpic

Comment

Yuck. ^^ Don't wanna imagine that, lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X