Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did some of these people get Jobs in Hollywood when they cannot Write Characters in a Shippy relationship?How hard is it to keep the format of the Show the same and just add Ship from Time to Time.TPTB of these Shows must really think Shippers want to see only Ship and nothing else.How can some of these people have Girlfriends and Wifes and have no clue how to Write a Shippy relationship.I wonder if they have on there Resumes I cannot Write Ship.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue
      That brings up a question. Say you are an ambitious, career military woman, with a job of a life time. You find yourself having feelings for your CO. Then you find out your CO has feelings for you. Would you give up your job so easily to take a chance that it may or may not work out?
      See, this is an outstanding quandry and it's at the heart of what I've always loved in the irresolution of Sam/Jack. Before you gasp, hold on a sec!

I think the Sam we saw in the beginning, even as she first began to develop feelings for Jack was no where near the kind of person who'd take that kind of risk. Career focus so powerful it overwhelms every other aspect of a person's life is a fallacy of a younger soul. I say that, knowing full well that a person's goals and their priorities change as they "grow up" and grow older. Take ...... Amanda for example. The actress. A self proclaimed work-a-holic. She waited until when to start a family? Later than some people might have advised her. But she had a career to consider and she was focussed on that career. A lot of women (like Amanda) are doing just what she's doing in this day-and-age. I know I'm on the same track as well. But, as each new year ticks by, I think a little more, and a little more about those pesky "priorities". And I can feel myself changing, kicking and screaming I can feel it. I won't tell you how old I am suffice it to say that I'm over 28 and under 32 right now.

So you have Sam Carter going through half a decade of her life with these - unresolved feelings - and I think, only towards the end of that period does she even begin to really consider what it might be like to not.......work all the time. Hence her story in "Grace". Priorities. Changing. Conflict.

So in the beginning, the younger Sam who started on SG-1 would never have considered giving up any of it. She was living her dream on the fast track. The older Sam we now see - I think she would, and I think she's confident enough now (FINALLY!) in her own abilities and her own sense of purpose to not worry so much about what "Big Brother" thinks of her or how her career plays out. She'll do what she feels is right for her, more and more, as she gets older.

Going fishing with Jack was just the first of many steps in that direction. The best is yet to come!

mini(the old)geek

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
      ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

stargate Barbie it's Funny you should mention Monnlighting.I said the same thing you said regarding Moonlighting about a Year ago.Moonlighting is a nice excuse for all members of TPTB.Anyone see the Atlantis finale got the worst ratings ever for an Atlantis episode.TPTB better start giving the Fans a reason to keep watching SG-1 and Atlantis.I heard a ton of excuses why the ratings are down this Year.I think many Fans are no longer going to be patient and just wait for the good episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
          Gatetrixer...I really need my mind cleansed of all non-PG thoughts after the way I read the end of your post

bad suekay bad!
          And I worked on that sentence, too!

Comment

This thread is going strong, what with the discussions yesterday and now the present ones.

Comment

I was listening to Sarah on the way home tonight. This sounded like Sam's POV about Jack in Season 8 episode
              Spoiler:
              Threads
              . The melody is great; I wish I had a sound bite for you. Whadaya think??

SARAH McLACHLAN LYRICS

"Push"

Every time I look at you the world just melts away
              All my troubles all my fears dissolve in your affections
              You've seen me at my weakest but you take me as I am
              And when I fall you offer me a softer place to land

[CHORUS:]
              You stay the course you hold the line you keep it all together
              You're the one true thing I know I can believe in
              You're all the things that I desire, you save me, you complete me
              You're the one true thing I know I can believe

I get mad so easy but you give me room to breathe
              No matter what I say or do 'cause you're too good to fight about it
              Even when I have to push just to see how far you'll go
              You wont stoop down to battle but you never turn to go

[CHORUS]

Your love is just the antidote when nothing else will cure me
              There are times I cant decide when I cant tell up from down
              You make me feel less crazy when otherwise I'd drown
              But you pick me up and brush me off and tell me I'm OK
              Sometimes thats just what we need to get us through the day

[CHORUS]

[Thanks to [email protected] for these lyrics]
              [Thanks to [email protected] for correcting these lyrics]
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                spoilers for s7's chimera and s8's affinity

my original set up was to end at season seven. that way, all we'd have to put up with was chimera (did i mention it was the ep of death and eternal suffering?) and NO marriage engagement.

i thought sam showed she was in love with jack in lost city... but i don't like the idea of not having some of the great ship we got in threads (and alternate in moebius).

how about this scenario?

Spoiler:
                in chimera, sam 'tells' everyone she's seeing someone. jack's jealous (like in the elevator), but... no one sees this guy, including the viewers. at the end of the ep, when sam shoots osiris (by herself)... sam visits daniel in the infirmary, telling him she's glad he's alright. he asks her about this guy she's been seeing, but once again, sam's cagey about it.

scene changes to sam coming home. she's smiling as she approaches her bedroom, calling out, 'honey, i'm home!'. she climbs onto the bed, reaching for a draw in her nightstand. we see her take something out, but not what that something is. then we 'hear' something running, while sam slowly brings the object into view. she smiles seductively, saying 'hello, petey, my boy,' as we see sam caressing her new vibrator.

there, my shipper friends, is sam's new boyfriend!

sally
                Sally....uh.....this is oh so funny.....but also kinda pathetic!!!! Ya think?

Comment

After reading the crossing Jordan comment (can't remember who wrote it), something else came to mind...

Remember Lois and Clark, The New Adventures of Superman (and Teri Hatcher is a VERY lucky woman).

Well...they had really strong ratings until L and C hooked up, and then they began to steadily drop. It was the resolution of that ship that was said to be that show's downfall, and I think a lot of TV execs remember that fact.

In reality, it was the 'big reveal' that destroyed that show...viewers loved that Lois was oblivious to who superman actually was, but once that bit of intrigue was gone...viewers started to tune out.
                  Yes.....Teri Hatcher is a lucky woman. She used to date RDA!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pittsburghgirl
                    Sam had been taking hits for two years-and I cannot believe that Jack would have let her go like that.

yes.

for me, season 7's antics were believable, but after lost city, to continue down the pete road was *unbelievable* and a plot device to stretch out the s/j angst.

sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Okay...to cheer you all up...I've got a question for you all to answer at length...

NOTE - to give the rest a chance...GRACE in ELIMINATED!

What do you think is the best S/J kiss?

take into account the following factors:

- timing
                      -Ratio - AU to real characters
                      -Ratio - UST to RST
                      -The General Shippyness of the episode
                      -The General anti-shippyness of the episode
                      -And how downright HOT is is

Well now...chop chop...I want detailed, reference answers of my desk for 0930

Night all,

Sweet shippy dreams
                      i'm very tired, but i'm still going with moebius on this. POV, wasn't our sam, they kissed and then she was gone. and it was too angsty, even though it was a really sweet and beautiful moment. WoO, was just a snippet, great kiss, but was mostly for comedic purposes, and jack had to behave as though it had never happened.

moebius however, was different.
                      Spoiler:
                      it was more parallel to our sam and jack. it was this universes sam and jack, only in a different timeline. and the entire interaction between them in those two episodes sums up the one with "our" sam and jack. we saw them meeting, getting to know one another, without rules and regulations and all the other stuff that was stopping the other selves. we saw them developing the trust and feelings. we saw the attraction become apparent, and then we saw the fireworks. a genuine first kiss, no previous knowledge of alternates, or timeloops. an honest to god first kiss. awkward at first, then more comfortable, and then fireworks. and we have the knowledge that that version of our sam and jack were going to carry on, and would have to deal with each other, and would develop their relationship further after that kiss. and i think that that could very well be an indication from TPTB that thats what was happening with the other timelines sam and jack, only at more length and with a few more complications. but i think that by the end of moebius, both timelines versions were pretty much in the same place in terms of their relationship. just one version had a longer history behind it. but by the end of the ep, they were still both "fishing".

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                        Yes.....Teri Hatcher is a lucky woman. She used to date RDA!!!!!
                        Owie. Lucky - not so much. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but RDA - back then - not such a great guy to be dating. And what he did to Teri, yeah... not such a nice thing to have to go through as well. He's changed a lot since those days. Which is a very good thing. Because now-a-days we can all love him again.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue
                          That brings up a question. Say you are an ambitious, career military woman, with a job of a life time. You find yourself having feelings for your CO. Then you find out your CO has feelings for you. Would you give up your job so easily to take a chance that it may or may not work out?
                          good question. first thing i'd do is *talk* to the person in question, not make decisions for *our* possible relationship based solely on my own thoughts/feelings/desires. and this goes for *both* sam and jack.

because the two of them didn't talk, we got pete, engagement, kerry, and YEARS of angst and suffering.

sally
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

Hey guys, there's a POLL going on over on the SONY boards about our favorite team incarnations for SG-1. It's pretty close now, between Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c and ... Daniel, Teal'c, Cameron, Vala. Any of you want to pop over and show your support for the DREAM TEAM?

http://boards.sonypictures.com/board...ad.php?t=17458

mini(the-polled-out)geek

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                              i'm very tired, but i'm still going with moebius on this. POV, wasn't our sam, they kissed and then she was gone. and it was too angsty, even though it was a really sweet and beautiful moment. WoO, was just a snippet, great kiss, but was mostly for comedic purposes, and jack had to behave as though it had never happened.

moebius however, was different.
                              Spoiler:
                              it was more parallel to our sam and jack. it was this universes sam and jack, only in a different timeline. and the entire interaction between them in those two episodes sums up the one with "our" sam and jack. we saw them meeting, getting to know one another, without rules and regulations and all the other stuff that was stopping the other selves. we saw them developing the trust and feelings. we saw the attraction become apparent, and then we saw the fireworks. a genuine first kiss, no previous knowledge of alternates, or timeloops. an honest to god first kiss. awkward at first, then more comfortable, and then fireworks. and we have the knowledge that that version of our sam and jack were going to carry on, and would have to deal with each other, and would develop their relationship further after that kiss. and i think that that could very well be an indication from TPTB that thats what was happening with the other timelines sam and jack, only at more length and with a few more complications. but i think that by the end of moebius, both timelines versions were pretty much in the same place in terms of their relationship. just one version had a longer history behind it. but by the end of the ep, they were still both "fishing".
                              Well, after several replays of Moebius, this is what I'm thinking
                              Spoiler:
                              Now you have to suspend your imagination a little further.......While Alternate Time (AT) Sam and Jack are in the puddle jumper trying to activate the cloaking device, we had a peek of Jack initiating some flirting with Sam. OMG he was sooo cool. See what happens when there are no regs?

BTW do you remember AT Jack looking AT Sam with his predatory eyes when Sam and Daniel sought to enlist his help in M1? Immediately he was attracted to Sam!!! Anyway, Sam let Jack down (for Daniel she says????) and Jack respectfully, if not perplexed, backed off. (Unlike McKay upon meeting AT Sam earlier at the SGC. What an obnoxious wolf was he!!)

Did you notice that from that point onward, when Jack radioed Sam from outside the puddle jumper, "Carter...." and later calling for backup, "Daniel, Teal'c....." Even Daniel radioing back, "Sam, Jack..." It sounded like our Team!!! Granted there were large and obvious differences but there were "allusions" to them being like a team in the real timeline (I'm getting dizzy from the timeline stuff).

Finally, in the face of danger, Sam made the pass at Jack. He had the green light to go and how sweetly and decisively his hands held Sam's face as he kissed her. Fireworks for sure!!!

I'm just sayin'....... I'm squeezing the Ship out of this episode!!!
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blueiris
                                I honestly believe Jack never felt he was good enough for Sam. That and the regs are what I always thought kept Jack passive. However, once Sam let him know that his feelings were returned (which he professed in D&C), something should have happened between them. Words should have been spoken. And by words, I mean sentences.
                                Originally posted by parsifal
                                Still, if she wanted him to tell her what to do, she could have made it easier for him.
                                You both make such good points! But to add to that, I think this scene was very true to the characters and the inhibitions we've observed in them over the years.

Jack:
                                1. Didn't want to take a chance with Sam's career, which he knew could be brilliant.
                                2. Didn't think he was good enough for Sam. In one ep (never can remember which one when I need it, but it could have been D & C), he called her a "national treasure."
                                3. Has always had so much respect for Sam and her abilities. He couldn't understand what she wanted with an older guy who wasn't as brainy as she was.
                                4. Never wanted to make Sam feel he was coercing her into a relationship using his power as her CO.

Sam:
                                1. Was the good soldier who had always done what was expected of her and what she was told to do.
                                2. Couldn't see challenging the regs and bringing embarassment or dishonor to either of them.
                                3. Has always seen Jack as a hero, someone who is larger than life (ok, he is to me too). While she knows him well, she has a certain amount of hero worship attached to him, so she couldn't believe that his feelings for her were real.
                                4. Knew how valuable Jack was to the military, so she didn't want to risk his career!

And they both have had issues with their mission, and the fact that no one knew the Goa'uld better than they did. So, until most of the system lords were defeated, they felt dedication to duty was more important than their personal feelings. However, now that there's little of a Goa'uld left, there's no longer a reason to keep them apart!

And that, little shippers, is why we should have had Threads as the season 8 finale, and why it should have included a commitment and a.....

big honkin' kiss!
                                Last edited by sg-1fanintn; 28 September 2005, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X