This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UhSir
    The writer’s can’t write ship? Huh! They can if they want to.
    They could, yes. And I'm not saying they wouldn't do a good job of it, either. I am saying that Amanda doesn't trust them to do that, and still maintain her character's strength and integrity. Which is why she's come across as opposed to an on screen relationship in the past. It isn't because she's against the idea of Sam and Jack being involved. It's because she's concerned the writers will sell off Sam as a casualty to the female stereotype if they go in that direction. If Carter stays away from that aspect of her relationship with Jack, then Amanda perceives that Sam Carter can continue to be a strong, groundbreaking female persona. I don't agree with it, either. I think it's a worthy challenge to write a strong, groundbreaking female persona within the context of a mature relationship; and the potential for dramatic conflict is endless! But I don't think Amanda trusts the current writing team to pull that kind of thing off for Sam. Whether they actually can or they can't is another issue entirely. But that's really what it boils down to.

You don't think so?

M.G.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
      As for the Sam/Jack issue, I don't think Amanda's ever been worried about that story. She's been worried that female leading roles have historically always been made weaker by the introduction of a love story between their character and someone above their station, but close to them. It's not like that for men. Amanda's aware of those stereotypes and I don't think she has faith that the writers would be able to maintain Sam's integrity and strength if they wrote her into a relationship with her CO. She was worried they'd turn Sam into a cliche. So rather than have that happen, she'd rather not go in that direction at all. Not because she doesn't think it's possible to write a good emotional arc for Sam and Jack within the Stargate universe, but because I don't think she believes this writing team would do that.

M.G.
      I think AT should have been more worried about what the writers were doing to her when they gave her a boyfriend.
      Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue
        I think AT should have been more worried about what the writers were doing to her when they gave her a boyfriend.
        Hey, who said she wasn't? Who says she didn't march right into Robert's office and ask him to justify the insertion of Pete Shanahan into Sam's life?

Amanda only talks publicly about the things that "are". She doesn't disparage canon very often if she can help it. Public relations for canon is part of her job. Notice she only mentioned her mild dissatisfaction [with the flippant excuse Sam gave Pete when she broke up with him] well after the episode had aired? If Sam and Jack had been made canon I think you'd have noticed her interviews regarding Sam's relationship with Jack would have changed as well, to reflect the canon change. That's ... what Amanda does.

M.G.

Comment

to all our newbies

...except Eoin - this one's for you There is no escape now you've joined the Family! Mwahahahahaha!

Originally posted by SuSiE_SG1
          Well last night i had nothing better to do being the school holidays and all so i came up with these, this is my crappy attempt at using microsoft paint LOL.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a2...ckmarriage.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a2...ddingnight.jpg
          this one is of the wedding night LOL
          Nothing crappy about them hon! I love 'em!

Token - you evil fiend! You and your story got me funny looks in the supermarket today. I saw this box of Lemon Trackers (which, btw aren't even cookies - kinda chewy cereal bar thing) and started laughing. Even hubby - who knew what I was laughing at, was rolling his eyes at me
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
            Yep, McMillan & Wife was another! It CAN be done!
            And don't forget Superman!!!!! OK, I know it's not the best example, but it worked for them
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
              Hey, who said she wasn't? Who says she didn't march right into Robert's office and ask him to justify the insertion of Pete Shanahan into Sam's life?

Amanda only talks publicly about the things that "are". She doesn't disparage canon very often if she can help it. Public relations for canon is part of her job. Notice she only mentioned her mild dissatisfaction [with the flippant excuse Sam gave Pete when she broke up with him] well after the episode had aired? If Sam and Jack had been made canon I think you'd have noticed her interviews regarding Sam's relationship with Jack would have changed as well, to reflect the canon change. That's ... what Amanda does.

M.G.
              Hey, I wasn't slamming AT. But from what I understand, she was ok with the bf thing until the
              Spoiler:
              engagement.
              I just think she was so hung up on not being Jacks gal that she didn't realize being Petes gal was worse.
              Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Hi Lonely Star! I bet you and Lol4Jack had a blast!

Baby no6 is doing just fine We're nearly half way there. I had a scan a couple of weeks ago - here's a link to the pic if anyone wants to see it. I won't post it here cos I know it freaks some people out http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...1/lastscan.jpg

If you still want help with a sig, just let me know what you want in it
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue
                  I just think she was so hung up on not being Jacks gal that she didn't realize being Petes gal was worse.
                  I think you're right about that.

Comment

Hey hey!

Feeling a bit more ship happy, so I'm just popping in to say hi!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SUGARSHAKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    sigpic
                    Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Re: AT's comments...I don't really know what to make of them...If she had fun working with David DeLuise, she should make it clear that it was him she enjoyed working rather than giving the impression she enjoyed the Pete storyline...

Well...First day was good...my matriculation picture is hideous though

((((Oma)))) Glad to hear that you and baby are fine

I'm in a graphics mood, so I'm off to do some siggies and stuff...be back later.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Oma-1
                        Baby no6 is doing just fine We're nearly half way there. I had a scan a couple of weeks ago - here's a link to the pic if anyone wants to see it. I won't post it here cos I know it freaks some people out http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...1/lastscan.jpg

OMG!!!!!!
                        Baby no6 (that's not his/her name, is it? I mean I know you love stargate, but you
                        wouldn't call your kids Fifth, Sixth etc, right? ) is SO ADORABLE!!!
                        I'm glad the little shiplet is doing fine.
                        Thanks for sharing the pic.

((((((((((Oma))))))))))))

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay

Well...First day was good...my matriculation picture is hideous though

LOL

((((sueKay))))
                          Don't worry about your picture!
                          The matriculation pictures are all terrible! I've never seen a good one!
                          Mine is HORRIBLE!!!
                          And since my student ID is also my bus-, tube- and train-ticket, I have to show it 6 times a day!!!
                          Most of the train guards are blind now. Ooops
                          Glad to hear your first day was good.

Comment

guys you oughta see what they do to the drivers lisc in this town-oy!
                            Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

hey family
                              I'm glad I have internet back on my laptop !! yay !! I'll be able to come and write more...well after I'm done with thi freaking report !!

(((((((((((((((Oma)))))))))))) thanks for the pic, and the great news. Do you want to know if it's a boy or a girl ?? will you keep us poted ??

((((((((((((((SueKay)))))))))))) don't worry about your pic, I'm sure it' not so bad, and anyway, you don't care, a pic is not making who you are...

I have begun to work on capturing vids in order to make a Sam and Jack vid !! I have the song and the ideas I jut need time..I hope I'll be able to work on it soon...I keep you posted.

and I'll be able to watch seasn 9 episodes too !! a last !!! I'm not looking forward it but Lol4Jack gave me her opinion and well, I have to admit I'm curious to judge by myself now...

well all of you have a nice day, night, and talk to you later!
                              (of Suz, do you thinnk you'll have time to make the sig with the pics I sent you or don' t you think you'll have time ? not that it's urgent but I'm looking forwar a sig )

Comment

LS - Working on your sig now!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X