X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Twilight506
    Originally posted by zuz
    Hmmm, I don't get this. If Jack is a Home World Security Honcho, doesn't it mean that they are still in the same chain of command? I mean like this: Jack-Homeworld Security > Landry-SGC > Sam - SG-1?
    Just a military ignorant here with no military experience whatsoever so I might completely misunderstand your AF rules...???
    It's an assumption. As far as I can tell, they haven't defined it as being within the chain of command. AT made a comment (someone could say where) that he wasn't the commanding officer. Second, homeworld security could be akin to homeland security. Homeland security has no jurisdiction over the military, but deals with it in a different frame work. Hypothetically speaking, homeworld security could be seen as trying to coordinate efforts to protect earth, dealing probably mostly with advising the president and coordinating efforts - working alongside the SGC, but not over it. Landry may very well still report directly to the President.
    It's all assumptions really.

Spoiler:

In S8, there did seem to be a military chain of command between Homeworld Security being led by Hammond and the SGC being led by Jack but it is unclear whether this chain of command between Homeworld Security and the SGC continues in S9.

In S9 with the increased involvement of the IOA, Landry seems somewhat less connected with Homeworld Security and it appears that HWS has become more of an oversight/coordination function for protecting Earth/the Stargate programme/Atlantis/the ship building programme rather than having a direct military link but nothing is made explicit.

So, you could either assume there is a chain of command or assume there is not based on the canon.

The second thing is that Jack's role on leaving the SGC has never been clear. He disappeared to Washington; Hammond seemingly retired (out of dress blues in The Fourth Horseman) so the assumption is that he succeeded Hammond and became the Head of Homeworld Security. He certainly seemed to have some say over personnel decisions; recruiting Landry and Lam to the SGC before he left, and agreeing to Mitchell's assignment to SG1 (Jack's involvement is discussed in Avalon) but whether this was part of the deal of his leaving - that he got some say in his successor and key positions or whether he has assignment authority in his new role is ambiguous - as his role in gtting Sam assigned to the SGC temporarily in Beachhead. It was also Landry not Jack who had to agree the funding with the Senate (although I seem to remember that Jack had offered to help out if there were problems) so again its unclear what Jack's role and authority are in terms of the SGC. Unless The Return made it explicit what Jack has been doing since he left the SGC (I haven't seen it yet), there is actually nothing in canon to confirm he did become Head of HWS.

In terms of whether Sam is currently in his chain of command (and the way I interpret the regs is that if Jack is in her chain of command at all not just as her commanding officer, the regs apply unless there is an exception made);

A) If you assume, Jack is Head of HWS but there is no chain of command from the SGC into HWS, then Sam is not in Jack's chain of command and the regs don't apply.

B) If you assume, there is a chain of command from the SGC to HWS but Jack is not Head of HWS but acting as Special Advisor to the President (or some other role), then Sam is not in Jack's chain of command and the regs don't apply.

C) If you assume there is no chain of command from the SGC into HWS and Jack is not Head of HWS, then Sam is definitely not in Jack's chain of command and the regs don't apply.

D) If you assume, there is a chain of command from the SGC to HWS, and Jack is Head of HWS, then Sam is definitely IN Jack's chain of command and the regs DO apply unless there was/is an exception in place.

sigpic
    Women of the Gate LJ Community.
    My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Originally posted by Davhar80
      I know what you mean Rachel500 - TV shows where ships are hinted at but then it seems TPTB wimp out and turn it all one sided really REALLY grates on me...an good example being the way they were heading with Grissom & Sara (CSI - sorry my other favorite ship !) until they shocked with the last eppy of season 6...and there was far less intimacy between those two throughout the seasons that has been shown with Jack/Sam...it truly will be a tradgedy if stargate PTB don't give us some positive closure for them at the end of the series, I hope they get how much it matters to us all!!

On another note...I'm a bit new to this forum thing (I know, where have I been for the last few years - but I've never found anywhere I've wanted to join before coming here ) and I would really like a banner, can someone tell me how I do that please?

xx
      Welcome if I haven't welcomed you before!

sorry problems with my memory!
      sigpic

Comment

Hi Family

I've been away for so long I almost feel like a stranger The house move went well and we're all settled in. I finally got my SG-1 DVDs unpacked and yesterday even found chance to watch some! I watched Holiday, Show and Tell and One False Step (I didn't have enough energy for any shippy angst ). It was fantastic

To be a little more on the current topic... I find myself agreeing with Rachel (again )

I wish we'd seen more of Jack's feelings over the last few seasons. That's the shipper in me talking

I think that tptb were very sneaky over the whole ship issue since S4. They'd reached the peak, built up the ship so it could end on a high point with the end of the show, as they thought then. But the show continued, so they had to make the show less about the ship and more about the adventures of SG-1 again.

As shippers we like to look deeper into the motivations of the characters, especially Sam and Jack and there are so many instances over the seasons where both of their feelings have been shown to us. I wish they'd carried on in that vein with S7 & 8 and spared us Mr Spudly , or at least shown more of Jack's reaction to the relationship. I think those 2 seasons are where we start to question Jack's feelings because we think, well, I think that since Sam's embarked on this other relationship, is she now unsure how Jack feels for her?

We still get the glimpses of how Jack feels, just as we did through the other seasons, but the focus on Sam's relationship with just gets skewed out of all proportion when you relate it to the way Sam and Jack's relationship has been shown. I think tptb tried to redress the imbalance with Threads, but the damage had been done way before then.

I'm actually a lot happier with the ship now that I've accepted Threads as a resolution. I look at the fishing trip as the beginning of Sam and Jack being together, so I'm not reliant on S9 & 10 to provide that confirmation for me now (fortunately!!).
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Queen_Bee
          i think the fact it was sam who started the whole Threads situation because she knew it was now or never, shows that the feelings were definitely still there, which annoys me because with an issue so deep then at the end of s8 we get Jack All for the last two seasons, surely they need to tie up loose ends again soon!
          i think they have put themselves in a position, where the ending they came up with in threads, is no longer going to be enough. especially as there have been more hints about sam and jack in season nine and now with
          Spoiler:
          the wedding
          Although not in a direct, in your face way, it's still hinted at enough for people to pick up on. I's enough to make people think that there relationship has moved on (at least its enough to make me think that ). So it would be great if we can have some sort of resolution at the end of this season.

sig made by Samjackshiplover
          http://www.myspace.com/docker22

Comment

Originally posted by Sasusc
            McKay is actually one of the reasons why I keep watching Atlantis so I don't mind how much screen time he gets. Sheppard is only just now growing on me. But it's a little weird for him to be in the final episode of SG-1. Hey, maybe:
            Spoiler:
            McKay will be the one who helps to put us shippers in squeeling mood when he hits on Sam and learns that Sam is married/engaged/taken/etc.

McKay, what are you doing here?
            Sam, just the person I was thinking about!
            **shudders** What do you want?
            Since I'm here only for a few days, I must take you out for dinner. I discovered this quiet little place that just opened up the last time I was here and it would be the perfect setting for our first date.
            Uh . . . I don't think so, McKay.
            Why not? I heard you broke up with Steve.
            Pete.
            What?
            His name is Pete, not Steve.
            Yeah, right. Pete. Whatever. So this Friday at 7?
            All of her free time is taken.

I was talking to Sam here, not you. Go away.
            Um, McKay . . .
            **grabs Sam's hand** See this ring, McGeek? This is why she isn't free.
            I don't get it.
            Will this clear things up? **kisses Sam**
            You and Sam? You got to be kidding!
            He kids you not. Now leave the lovebirds alone. **drags McKay out of the room**
            **Sam and Jack continues making out**

Opps! My little McKay story got a little long!
            ROFLMAO

Oh my Gawsh.....I LOVED IT>>>>>
            Sig. made by RepliCarterje just for me
            Get RDA on Canada's Walk of Fame: Click this link to find out how
            Love dogs? Have it in your heart for a big barrel of love? Go to malamuterescue.com

Comment

Originally posted by Oma-1
              Hi Family

I've been away for so long I almost feel like a stranger The house move went well and we're all settled in. I finally got my SG-1 DVDs unpacked and yesterday even found chance to watch some! I watched Holiday, Show and Tell and One False Step (I didn't have enough energy for any shippy angst ). It was fantastic

To be a little more on the current topic... I find myself agreeing with Rachel (again )

I wish we'd seen more of Jack's feelings over the last few seasons. That's the shipper in me talking

I think that tptb were very sneaky over the whole ship issue since S4. They'd reached the peak, built up the ship so it could end on a high point with the end of the show, as they thought then. But the show continued, so they had to make the show less about the ship and more about the adventures of SG-1 again.

As shippers we like to look deeper into the motivations of the characters, especially Sam and Jack and there are so many instances over the seasons where both of their feelings have been shown to us. I wish they'd carried on in that vein with S7 & 8 and spared us Mr Spudly , or at least shown more of Jack's reaction to the relationship. I think those 2 seasons are where we start to question Jack's feelings because we think, well, I think that since Sam's embarked on this other relationship, is she now unsure how Jack feels for her?

We still get the glimpses of how Jack feels, just as we did through the other seasons, but the focus on Sam's relationship with just gets skewed out of all proportion when you relate it to the way Sam and Jack's relationship has been shown. I think tptb tried to redress the imbalance with Threads, but the damage had been done way before then.

I'm actually a lot happier with the ship now that I've accepted Threads as a resolution. I look at the fishing trip as the beginning of Sam and Jack being together, so I'm not reliant on S9 & 10 to provide that confirmation for me now (fortunately!!).
              ((((Oma-1)))) Welcome home!

And not just because you're agreeing with me!

I think I would have remained happy with the fishing scene as an ending to the Sam/Jack storyline if the show had ended in S8.

I would now like a confirmation they are together but I have to honestly admit that I'd live with no mention of S/J and the relationship status left in ambiguity at the end of S10. So long as they don't say they're not together, I can happily get them together in fanfic.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                Just go to www.stargatesg1.com and sign up for a site. The other link I posted is my page.

Then you get your own page where you can post things and subscribe to what other people post. Videos...banners...icons...walls...music...WHATEVER.

Think myspace meets youtube.

I've put up the episode 2010 on my page for instance. Yes, the whole episode. So where are all you guys?!?? Sign up already.
                Well, I'm signed up and my profile is under construction (it does seem complicated) but as I'm not into making videos (or rather have no talent or technical skill), it may end up as a place to post my latest Stargate fanfic in addition to fanfiction and GW!

Still interesting site...there seems to be some good Sam/Jack stuff being posted..
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by zuz
                  Hey I've hit the 1,100 milestone and ALMOST haven't noticed.*happy dance*

Another one from "the way it should have been" department.

That is such a lovely picture. It says it all.

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover
                    Look at Sams face lol. A bit lower I'de guess

I'd have to say you are so right. It must be a bit lower.

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel500
                      It's all assumptions really.

Spoiler:

In terms of whether Sam is currently in his chain of command (and the way I interpret the regs is that if Jack is in her chain of command at all not just as her commanding officer, the regs apply unless there is an exception made);

A) If you assume, Jack is Head of HWS but there is no chain of command from the SGC into HWS, then Sam is not in Jack's chain of command and the regs don't apply.

B) If you assume, there is a chain of command from the SGC to HWS but Jack is not Head of HWS but acting as Special Advisor to the President (or some other role), then Sam is not in Jack's chain of command and the regs don't apply.

C) If you assume there is no chain of command from the SGC into HWS and Jack is not Head of HWS, then Sam is definitely not in Jack's chain of command and the regs don't apply.

D) If you assume, there is a chain of command from the SGC to HWS, and Jack is Head of HWS, then Sam is definitely IN Jack's chain of command and the regs DO apply unless there was/is an exception in place.

Thanks for the explanation.

I don't know why but I have this strange feeling that TPTB root for the option D)

Enough of S/J UST we want some RST. Pretty please.
                      "Y'know, I can be as diplomatic and open-minded as anyone."
                      Colonel Jack O'Neill

Comment

Originally posted by dreamer
                        That is such a lovely picture. It says it all.
                        Thanks.

BTW Great posts, Oma and Rachel 500.
                        Colonel Jack O'Neill

Comment

Nice weekend and the following week to you lot. I won't be on line till next Friday, I think. So behave.

General and his favourite colonel.

The original is the well-known s8 team promo pic.
                          Colonel Jack O'Neill

Comment

Has anyone noticed that in new order part 1, Sam says to Teal'c "come on Teal'c, throw me a bone here'?
                            sigpicI love the Lord my God with all my heart!!!!http://www.geocities.com/Lessien2002 Save stargate sg1!!!! Let us shippers have a good resolution please!!!! My fanfiction http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1023184/- there's more to come!
                            My GW fanfiction-http://www.gateworld.net/fanfic/arch...ogetherat.html
                            http://www.fanfiction.net/c2/37559/3/0/1/-the c2 community sam/jack relationship community.
                            http://www.petitiononline.com/P3X595/petition.html
                            Now is the time for us to shine, to shine with the power of Christ Divine! The Lord has promised us revival and it WILL come!

Comment

Originally posted by zuz
                              Hmmm, I don't get this. If Jack is a Home World Security Honcho, doesn't it mean that they are still in the same chain of command? I mean like this: Jack-Homeworld Security > Landry-SGC > Sam - SG-1?
                              Just a military ignorant here with no military experience whatsoever so I might completely misunderstand your AF rules...???
                              Jack is no longer her commanding officer, meaning she no longer reports directly to him and he is no longer issuing her direct orders. There is no day-to-day conflict of interest and therefore it is technically okay. Since he is still in her chain-of-command, and they are in each others sphere of influence, as it were, their relationship would typically not be openly displayed or discussed. There is actually a word for this: Professionalism, and to openly display emotions and relationships in uniform in "professional" settings is considered "unprofessional". The fact that there are words typically used for this sort of thing lets you know how common it is

It's not really dissimilar to the situation in many civilian work-places, where family members can not work together. The military just uses fancier words

Comment

Originally posted by hope leslie hermnharry
                                Here ya go my friend...Just for you...Hope you like it...Added bits of shippyness of course...
                                Linky:
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUvJuBufS7E

Let me know what you think.

I'm off to Montreal for our TG...I'll be back on sunday night...Talk to you all then...
                                Me like! Me LIKE! Very nice.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X