This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal
    i did the 'this is what is going to happen!' thing horribly in seasons 7 and 8. and i think i was my own worst enemy!

i let myself build up my pipe dreams, and then went the show didn't come through with the way *i* thought they should go, i was angry and disappointed. just because logic would tell you how two ppl would react to each other doesn't mean the *show* is going to go that way. and just because *we* the fans see the openings and easy ways to write them doesn't mean the ptb are going to do it.

writing ship in a tv show is a monster all its own, and i've seen one show after another do the same exact type of stalling/hovering/stretching out scenario. it's almost funny in its predictability.

take the show Lost, with the kate/jack ship. the *show* set up from the start for these two to be the ship (just like they did with sam and jack). but what did they do with these two? brought in 'others'. why? to stretch it out. they haven't even made it through two full seasons before falling to the ever dependable 'other'. kate and jack are meant to be together, but we won't *see* that until much further down the line (like the end).

basically, writers are scared to resolve any ship, because they fear the fans will lose interest if they do. BUT, the real (or other) reason is writing a *relationship* is much, MUCH harder than writing the occasional moment and touch. to take from the lyrics of a wonderful shippy song, 'how do you keep the music playing' when the song has been going on a while? 'would' we lose interest if they brought sam and jack together? well, if they just brought them together and then never showed anything else with them, then yes. that would be boring!

here's what i would have done...

in season 4 - sam and jack confess their feelings in 'divide and conquer'. and they take it out of the room. s4 is showing 'the talk' and how will they actually have a relationship.

season 5 - sam and jack ask general hammond if they can try a relay while still being on the team. hammond says yes, but that he's trusting them to be honest with themselves and him that if anything comes up (that they're looking out for each other more than the other members of their team), that they need to either split up their relay or split up the team. s5 deals with just *that* issue.

season 6 - sam and jack deal with daniel's death. it's a strain on their relay. they're still together, but there's a slight distance. s6 would see the distance, but eventual coming together (emotionally) by the end of the season.

season 7 - daniel's back. sam and jack are doing great together. mark, sam's brother, starts pressuring sam to meet his friend pete. sam continues to say no. when pushed, she tells mark she's already involved with someone. mark becomes interested and comes up to see sam and her guy. and then starts pressuring her to tie the knot and have some kids. *this* starts sam wondering what if... jack almost dying in the arctic finally sets sam's mind straight.

season 8 - jack asks sam to marry him. sam says yes. but jack knows he and sam can't be on the same team anymore, so he agrees to transfer to another position. he takes training new recruits at the academy. s8 is sam and jack planning the wedding.

season 9 - sam and jack marry. the entire season is little scenes here and there of their marriage.

season 10 - sam becomes pregnant, even though they'd decided to wait a year or two to start a family. s9 is sam's pregnancy, and the end of the season, sam has a little girl.

there, folks, is how to write an entire relationship, *with evolution of their relay in stages through the ~seasons~*

i'd be interested in hearing others ideas on how you'd write their relay over time.

i'd LOVE to see a scene like this between sam and jack, like from the movie 'lethal weapon'! and i could see amanda and rick absolutely chew the heck out of it.

sally
    Great little seasons scenarios Sally except for the Sam being pregnant ..We saw that too many time in other shows and unless it is absolutely necessary like in Alias because Jennifer Gardner was expecting , I would leave a pregnancy storyline on the side . ( I have heard there may be a Alias movie coming up too!!! and a spin off with new characters and still Sloane in there ).
    The pregnancy storyline worked for the x-files and Scully & Mulder because of the mythology like she had been abducted and that her baby may be half alien, half human ....

.....but I'd rather not see that for Sam and Jack ..Maybe an announcement that she is pregnant just for the finale of the show would be fine .

As for Lost , I think the ship is doing fine ..It's only been 2 seasons so far .JJ Abrams is a shipper and he showed it in Alias . He didn't wait 10 years to put Syd and Vaughn together .He did it in season 2 . I have heard from a UK TV show where the actors playing Hurley, Jin and Eko were invited that there will be a lot more romance and sex in Lost in season 3 . I think the love triangle between Sawyer/Kate/Jack will died down by the beginning of season 3 and Kate will find her way back to Jack and we 'll get the romance in season 3 .

JJ abrams said that Lost will also only last 4 or 5 seasons so he does not have much time to make things move a bit faster considering the number of characters on the show . Also there will be 3 more new characters for season 3 and Michael will be a recurring character .

I think some TPTB are very clever to make their show ends at the right time like Farscape . Alias and others ..Lost will stop in 2 years too so all those shows which go with a bang in their prime will always be remembered as top shows .

I wish they could have done the same with SG1 , it would have been much better to close all storylines around season 5 or 6 ...and hopefully they will follow the direction of Alias and farscape for SGA .
    5 years is long enough for a show and the right time to quit with a bang and not a boo like SG1 is heading big time .
    Season 9 and 10 should have been a spin off with completely new characters BB , CB , Beau Bridge perhaps although I would have loved to see Terry O' Quinn as the new general ..It would have been awesome and any other characters they like to form a team but Teal'c , Daniel and Sam should have had their storylines closed after season 8 anyway with Sam and Jack together .

Caty
    Last edited by Catysg1; 10 July 2006, 04:13 PM.

Comment

I posted something in the SL thread if you would like to read....

Regarding the 200 ep, she mentioned that when they where pitching her the idea, the producers could not stop laughing, they were ROFLOL and she thinks it's hilarious, and that they even have a Farscape homage.... and of course
      Spoiler:
      The Furlings

When she was asked about how she kept her character fresh she said that in this season it's very easy, that her relationship with Vala is great and that is bringing a lot to the character, they go offworld and she is like, you can't where that! or we don't do things that way and that it is fun, that they are also trying to keep that "team" things with Michael and Christopher, that whenever they can they give each other the look, they react, they are building this camaraderie that they have always had and that they hope the producers keep those moments on camera.

I asked Amanda 2 questions.... little did I now that the 2nd one could cost me my life

The first question was related to the "lunch" that went for 30,000 USD, she said that it was just amazing, they could not believe it, that somebody had paid 30,000 USD to have lunch with them!!!!! she said that it was really nice and that they had already had the lunch when Rick was up filming the 200, that she the lady came with her 2 sisters and that they were adorable, they had lots of fun and in AT goofy language and expression...."Uggg, 30,000 $$$$ she was having lunch with somebody that paid 30,000 $$$$"

Of course when I write this, it doesn't translate as it should since Amanda is the funniest, goofiest and one of the most wonderful story tellers there is.

Proud Member of the Ship, Ship Hooray Special Ops Team
      Interviews with The O'Neills: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8, Part 9, Part 10
      Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild

Comment

I'd second Terry O'Quinn as the new General! He was amazing in the X-Files movie (for the whole ten minutes he appeared in before being blown up!) and he's one of the only reasons I watched Lost!
        Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

Originally posted by LOL4JACK
          I posted something in the SL thread if you would like to read....

Regarding the 200 ep, she mentioned that when they where pitching her the idea, the producers could not stop laughing, they were ROFLOL and she thinks it's hilarious, and that they even have a Farscape homage.... and of course
          Spoiler:
          The Furlings

When she was asked about how she kept her character fresh she said that in this season it's very easy, that her relationship with Vala is great and that is bringing a lot to the character, they go offworld and she is like, you can't where that! or we don't do things that way and that it is fun, that they are also trying to keep that "team" things with Michael and Christopher, that whenever they can they give each other the look, they react, they are building this camaraderie that they have always had and that they hope the producers keep those moments on camera.

I asked Amanda 2 questions.... little did I now that the 2nd one could cost me my life

The first question was related to the "lunch" that went for 30,000 USD, she said that it was just amazing, they could not believe it, that somebody had paid 30,000 USD to have lunch with them!!!!! she said that it was really nice and that they had already had the lunch when Rick was up filming the 200, that she the lady came with her 2 sisters and that they were adorable, they had lots of fun and in AT goofy language and expression...."Uggg, 30,000 $$$$ she was having lunch with somebody that paid 30,000 $$$$"

Of course when I write this, it doesn't translate as it should since Amanda is the funniest, goofiest and one of the most wonderful story tellers there is.
          So what was this second question that was so terrible? I really want to know now!

Comment

Here is the way I would have written Sam and Jack's relationship.
            S1-3 were perfect! Just hinting a of ship with good character development.
            S4: I'd have "kept it in the room", but there would have been a lot more flirting.
            S5-6: Flirting would continue until Daniel died then they would have decided life was too short and taken it out of the room. Only Tealc' and Janet would have known about their relationship.
            S7: The secrecy of their relationship would have become too difficult, and there would have been a short break. Pete would never have gotten past the front door, because the date would have been a disaster. She'd have come home, called Jack, and they would have reconciled immediately.
            S8: When Jacob was on his deathbead, he would have learned about Sam's relationship with Jack and died happy.
            S9: Jack and Sam took transfers out of the SGC so they could go public.
            S10: Enaged!
            Motion picture wedding at the end of s10, baby in s11.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
              i did the 'this is what is going to happen!' thing horribly in seasons 7 and 8. and i think i was my own worst enemy!

i let myself build up my pipe dreams, and then went the show didn't come through with the way *i* thought they should go, i was angry and disappointed. just because logic would tell you how two ppl would react to each other doesn't mean the *show* is going to go that way. and just because *we* the fans see the openings and easy ways to write them doesn't mean the ptb are going to do it.

writing ship in a tv show is a monster all its own, and i've seen one show after another do the same exact type of stalling/hovering/stretching out scenario. it's almost funny in its predictability.

take the show Lost, with the kate/jack ship. the *show* set up from the start for these two to be the ship (just like they did with sam and jack). but what did they do with these two? brought in 'others'. why? to stretch it out. they haven't even made it through two full seasons before falling to the ever dependable 'other'. kate and jack are meant to be together, but we won't *see* that until much further down the line (like the end).

basically, writers are scared to resolve any ship, because they fear the fans will lose interest if they do. BUT, the real (or other) reason is writing a *relationship* is much, MUCH harder than writing the occasional moment and touch. to take from the lyrics of a wonderful shippy song, 'how do you keep the music playing' when the song has been going on a while? 'would' we lose interest if they brought sam and jack together? well, if they just brought them together and then never showed anything else with them, then yes. that would be boring!

here's what i would have done...

in season 4 - sam and jack confess their feelings in 'divide and conquer'. and they take it out of the room. s4 is showing 'the talk' and how will they actually have a relationship.

season 5 - sam and jack ask general hammond if they can try a relay while still being on the team. hammond says yes, but that he's trusting them to be honest with themselves and him that if anything comes up (that they're looking out for each other more than the other members of their team), that they need to either split up their relay or split up the team. s5 deals with just *that* issue.

season 6 - sam and jack deal with daniel's death. it's a strain on their relay. they're still together, but there's a slight distance. s6 would see the distance, but eventual coming together (emotionally) by the end of the season.

season 7 - daniel's back. sam and jack are doing great together. mark, sam's brother, starts pressuring sam to meet his friend pete. sam continues to say no. when pushed, she tells mark she's already involved with someone. mark becomes interested and comes up to see sam and her guy. and then starts pressuring her to tie the knot and have some kids. *this* starts sam wondering what if... jack almost dying in the arctic finally sets sam's mind straight.

season 8 - jack asks sam to marry him. sam says yes. but jack knows he and sam can't be on the same team anymore, so he agrees to transfer to another position. he takes training new recruits at the academy. s8 is sam and jack planning the wedding.

season 9 - sam and jack marry. the entire season is little scenes here and there of their marriage.

season 10 - sam becomes pregnant, even though they'd decided to wait a year or two to start a family. s9 is sam's pregnancy, and the end of the season, sam has a little girl.

there, folks, is how to write an entire relationship, *with evolution of their relay in stages through the ~seasons~*

i'd be interested in hearing others ideas on how you'd write their relay over time.
              I'll take that challenge

Uhm, pretty much the way you described it Sal, only I'd do it a year later.

S4 - Keep it in the room till the end of the season. At least, they gotta try to. Besides, I love the angst of the back half of S4

i'd LOVE to see a scene like this between sam and jack, like from the movie 'lethal weapon'! and i could see amanda and rick absolutely chew the heck out of it.
              Your wish is my command

S5 - Eps like DM and Fifth Man make it too difficult to keep it in the room any longer. There's snatches of them trying desperately to keep a lid on their feelings, but they can't hold it in any longer. (Insert Scar Battle scene somewhere in here for angst value - starts off as joke but gets too personal ) Finally, we get the BHK! When Daniel dies, it's the final blow. They can't hold back any longer for fear of losing each other completely before they have the chance to explore a relly.

S6 - No sooner has their relly started than they're having problems. Jack's struggling to come to terms with Daniel's death and the change in his relly with Sam. Does his usual trick and puts up walls. Sam's liking Jonas straight away also puts strain on their relly. Then Abyss, PL ... like Sally said, by end S6 they have worked it out and are going to make the relly work.

S7 - Can't beat perfection, so I won't even try Just to add, Janet DOES NOT DIE! And Grace ep is Sam's biological clock starting to tick tock tick tock

S8 - Start: Jack's thinking about asking Sam to marry him, but still wonders what she sees in him. Thinks he's too old/wrinkly/un-intelligent for Sam. Goes to Hammond for advice Hammond says - propose fcol! He'll deal with the Pres. Hammond promptly retires, Jack promoted - wonders how the hell that happened, and what about him and Carter. Hammond says not to worry . Kerry appears mid-season, see's what's between Sam & Jack, hatches plan with Hammond & Jack to surprise Sam. Jack retires, Sam goes ballistic - he can't give up his career for her, Jack get's put back in charge as civillian. End S8, Jack kidnaps Sam, whisks her off to Vegas to get married, then honeymoon at the Cabin.

S9 - Jack sent to DC. See Sam & Jack coping with long distance relly. Odd arguement, but coping well. Maybe argue a little over when to have kids. Thor helps them with transportation problems - and maybe a little marital advice (that'd be really funny )

S10 - Like that one too

Boy that took far too much brain power for this time of night! (I was supposed to be getting some laundry in for tomorrow! Oops!)
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AmberLM
                So what was this second question that was so terrible? I really want to know now!
                yeah me too.

and btw, about the removal of image tags when quoting a pic post, didn't we say it was ok not to do it for captions? because if not then i have some posts to edit.

Comment

Guys what's this scene from 'Lethal Weapon' that you're talking about? I don't ever remember actually watching that film!

Comment

Ji, ji, ji.... 2nd question...

L4J: Amanda, if I may, can I ask Sam Carter a question?

AT: OK, one moment... she turns around like getting into character and says... OK....

L4J: Could you please get me a date with Jack O'Neill since you are not doing anything with him

SC: No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (eyes opening wide)

SC: Getting closer to the microphone and grabbing it with both her hands..... OVER MY DEAD BODY!!!!

L4J: Well, I had to try

Proud Member of the Ship, Ship Hooray Special Ops Team
                    Interviews with The O'Neills: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8, Part 9, Part 10
                    Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild

Comment

I think I got a sneak preview on this ... you'll love it Or Hate it

One or the other
                      sigpic

Comment

AT: OK, one moment... she turns around like getting into character and says... OK....

L4J: Could you please get me a date with Jack O'Neill since you are not doing anything with him

SC: Getting closer to the microphone and grabbing it with both her hands..... OVER MY DEAD BODY!!!!

I just about rolled out of my chair when I read that! It's hilarious! So maybe there's something she knows that we don't.... I'd love to see Sam say that...maybe to Vala!

Comment

Guys what's this scene from 'Lethal Weapon' that you're talking about? I don't ever remember actually watching that film!
                          LOL! Riggs and ..... can't remember the character's name ..... Rene Russo anyway, get into this arguement about who's tougher. Riggs shows her a scar to try to impress her, then she shows one of hers. They impress each other right out of their clothes, as I remember it
                          sigpic

Comment

its the one from lethal weapon 3, where mel gibson and rene russos characters are comparing scars, and they end up with a lot less clothing than they started with.

anyway, just saw the scene from D&C again. wow. just the way he says that line. its very squeey (its a word!). and the reaction she has gives me the impression that they've already discussed their feelings to some extent before, but she's just not happy about having to do it this publicly and for this reason, when she knows they can't do anything about it. also, it hasn't been on yet (lousy ad breaks!) but the bit where they're "ok" with "leaving it in the room" as far as i can remember, does anyone else get the impression that they're only going to have to do that for about a year or two tops, and not 4 freakin years?

Comment

I miss Stargate Mondays! My hubby and I watched "Full Circle" before Dark Angel's premiere, and I have some thoughts. First, the not necessarily shippy thoughts. Michael Shanks looked really hot in that episode. I usually can't take my eyes off of RDA long enought to pay attention to him, but wow! Also, I miss Skaara. He was so sweet and innocent, and his relationship with Jack was so precious to watch. Of course, that brings me to the shippy moments in the episode. I love the wedding invitation. Sam's response to Jack's awkwardness about taking her to the wedding was classic. I just wish we'd have gotten that wedding. Sparks would have flown! I also loved the briefing room scene when Jack admits that he has seen Daniel, and Sam and General Hammond believe him instantly. Maybe it wasn't that shippy since the general believed him too, but it showed how much she trusts him. If he says he saw Daniel then that's good enough for her. Good episode.

Comment

Hahahahaha , hehehehehe Thank you Carolina and everyone else who went to Shore leave to bring back some lovely feedback

Caty

Comment

Working...
                                X