This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nickatell
    I agree with you guys, there is no way that I bought into the fact that after 100 days Jack says, oh well I guess they are not coming for me, time to move on with my life. As you have said, he was a prisoner of war and if I remember correctly he was held for three months! Even if he did give up on them coming for him (and that's a big if) I don't think that he would even have been thinking about a relationship, he would have lost everything and everyone he knew, besides going back in time these people didn't look too advanced. The idea that Jack was so adapted to his new surroundings enough to consider fathering a child, come on. I think the writers wanted to cram too much into this story that it made the whole thing unbelievable except for the determination of Sam. I don't think my disgust was with the actor as much as it was with the writer writing so much out of character.
    Jack was in the Iraq prison for four months.

Even if he had given up on returning to Earth, I don't see him wanting to jump into a relationship, let alone father a child so quickly.

I thought that it was unethical for Laira to push him the way she did.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by blueiris
      LOL - picturing Mala's Martouf smiley!
      It's taken me all day, but I've eventually found it.

*smiley by Mala*
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz
        It's taken me all day, but I've eventually found it.

*smiley by Mala*
        That's scary!

Comment

I felt there was some other episodes where things happened that seemed very odd to me. What about the episode 2001 at the end when Sam comes rolling down the ramp and no one comes running to help her, or in the episode where Janet and the doctor jump to the conslusion that Daniel is insane instead of first considering other alternatives, or like Ascension like you guys have said when they totally buy the fact that Sam is going insane instead of considering that the alien is of high intelligience and doesn't want to be found. Its like these guys suddenly forget what they do for a living and who they are working with.

Comment

I did not like Laira one bit. She was so manipulative of Jack, when he was in such a vunerable state. She did not care about him, and just dismissed the incredible loss he was suffering. In the situation he was in, Jack must have felt so alone, and she took complete advantage of that. She offered comfort and kindness and when he took it, she used the opportunity to take away the things that must have been keeping him going - hope of getting home. As soon as he found out about the voice on the radio, she lost him - obviously he didn't want to be with her that much. And she knew that, or she would have told him about the radio immediately. It would have been nice for him to show a bit more consideration for Sam at the end though...

I also don't believe she was pregnant. Jack would have known about it - they were still trading after all - and he would never have left that responsibility.

Seeing more of the aftermath of Shades of Grey would have been nice. Especially between Jack & Daniel after that conversation in Jack's house...that must have put a strain on their friendship for a while...

Comment

I felt there was some other episodes where things happened that seemed very odd to me. What about the episode 2001 at the end when Sam comes rolling down the ramp and no one comes running to help her, or in the episode where Janet and the doctor jump to the conslusion that Daniel is insane instead of first considering other alternatives, or like Ascension like you guys have said when they totally buy the fact that Sam is going insane instead of considering that the alien is of high intelligience and doesn't want to be found. Its like these guys suddenly forget what they do for a living and who they are working with.
              it is the writers. in order to tell the story they fix that you have to suspend all that you know or think that you know.

continuity and consistency sacraficed all in the name of a story.

you know I understand the writers need for movement and flow for the story and sometimes the need for adjusting things hither and thither-but some of the stories seem to be just isolated blips with no other thought to the story except what you see.
              Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

I don't think the characters forget so much as the writers ignore. They need to make the story go the way they want it to and adapt the characters to fit that vision, even though it should be the other way around.

In 'Ascension', for example, they probably wanted to show Sam and Orlin together and to do so they isolated Sam from the rest of the team to a certain extent.

In 'Legacy', I think that the concern over longterm 'gate travel causing health problems wasn't surprising - though I am surprised that they didn't delve more deeply into that. Granted, Teal'c would probably have been okay but what about everybody else? I thought that having them lock Daniel up in a hospital outside the base was silly, though - even if Dr MacKenzie and his aides had clearance, the other nurses, orderlies, janatorial staff, etc, could have heard Daniel talking about the 'gate and, even though he was supposed to be insane, might have wondered. I would have thought that they would try to keep him isolated on the base for a while before consigning him to permanent psychiatric care.

Asfar as '2001' goes, the only reason I can think of for Jack, Daniel and Teal'c's apparent lack of concern for Sam is that they were worried about Kinsey trying to split them up by saying they were too close if they showed how much they cared and how worried they were and that they made a huge fuss of Sam as soon as Kinsey was gone.

Comment

Originally posted by shelsfc
                  I also don't believe she was pregnant. Jack would have known about it - they were still trading after all - and he would never have left that responsibility.
                  I'd say that the writers probably put in the stomach touch because they wanted an opening for a story about Jack and Laira's baby should they ever need a plot.

Comment

actually that last scene in 2001-where Sam bounced down the ramp-I read that the "boys" didn't want to stay later to fix that scene.
                    Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Comment

Originally posted by pittsburghgirl
                      actually that last scene in 2001-where Sam bounced down the ramp-I read that the "boys" didn't want to stay later to fix that scene.
                      That's what the commentary said. The poor director was apparently pleading with them to show some concern for poor Sam, but they wouldn't.

I'm just trying to come up with justifications for the characters.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                        That's what the commentary said. The poor director was apparently pleading with them to show some concern for poor Sam, but they wouldn't.

I'm just trying to come up with justifications for the characters.
                        yeah-makes you scratch your head and wonder what they were thinking when they let that scene go like that.

Standing there witht the game face on and arms folded.

Hello! I just did a a&& over teacups down the ramp guys.

Comment

I'd say that the writers probably put in the stomach touch because they wanted an opening for a story about Jack and Laira's baby should they ever need a plot.
                          I'm so glad they never did that story. Could have caused some number of problems for the ship...made for some good fics though, very angsty...I do love angst...

Comment

I'm so glad they never did that story. Could have caused some number of problems for the ship...made for some good fics though, very angsty...I do love angst...
                            True. While I don't see Sam having a problem accepting Jack's child any more than Jack would have had a problem with Sam's child had Sam become pregnant by Pete, Laira would have had to either be killed off or become a semi-permanent presence on the show.

Comment

True. While I don't see Sam having a problem accepting Jack's child any more than Jack would have had a problem with Sam's child had Sam become pregnant by Pete, Laira would have had to either be killed off or become a semi-permanent presence on the show.
                              No, I can't imagine there would have been a problem with the child either, but Laira would have had to be a big part of Jack's life. In his 'normal' life ie - after he got back to Earth, I could see Laira getting to be a right pain in the mikta for Jack (and Sam, when they eventually got together... )

Comment

No, I can't imagine there would have been a problem with the child either, but Laira would have had to be a big part of Jack's life. In his 'normal' life ie - after he got back to Earth, I could see Laira getting to be a right pain in the mikta for Jack (and Sam, when they eventually got together... )
                                Not to mention the poor child being very confused by the whole situation.

Comment

Working...
                                X