• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
    Which ones might those have been???
    The non bimbo female on the show
    sigpic

Comment

Amanda really hated saying that line in the scene and a small hint: MGM is watching the sales on the CotG to see if the DVD market is still good for the SG franchise. If it does well the movie production will be green lighted (there is still no absolute start date for the 3rd SG movie).
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by trupi View Post
        Amanda really hated saying that line in the scene and a small hint: MGM is watching the sales on the CotG to see if the DVD market is still good for the SG franchise. If it does well the movie production will be green lighted (there is still no absolute start date for the 3rd SG movie).
        May I ask how you know this? Is it fact or speculation?

VSS I think your comment about the 'bookends' sums up my feeling too.

I think it's sad if the SGA movie doesn't go ahead, purely because I loved the series and wood like to see more.

Comment

Originally posted by jumble View Post
          May I ask how you know this? Is it fact or speculation?

VSS I think your comment about the 'bookends' sums up my feeling too.

I think it's sad if the SGA movie doesn't go ahead, purely because I loved the series and wood like to see more.
          Just came home from a SG con (love going to them) Joe says it's a go but MGM is still afraid the sales won't be there and holding back to see evidence-CotG is there newest evidence.
          sigpic

Comment

Just came home from a SG con (love going to them) Joe says it's a go but MGM is still afraid the sales won't be there and holding back to see evidence-CotG is there newest evidence.
            So still speculation then.

I've heard several different versions of what was said by whom and about what at Shore Leave.

And don't forget SGA S5 just got released. Sales of that wood have more bearing on the SGA movie IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Regularamanda View Post
              Posted on the Martin thread by APA, thought you guys might want to know this

rant-
              Spoiler:
              That bolded part ticks me off so much, stupid males can't take a bit of feminine talk, that's one of the greatest feminist lines on the face of the planet and they took it out, and who knows the "I like woman" might be taken out as well. I'll tell you what I will not be buying it now. Even now in today's era woman are still getting put down and they can't even keep that kind of comment in a freakin show!!! ER!!!!!!!

*ends feminist rant*

Sorry
              Jumping in late! (Was at a 30th bday party for a friend - martinis and Apples to Apples!)...

Spoiler:
              I have to disagree with you here, I ALWAYS cringe at that line (AT hated that line too). I agreed with AT - why does she have to be so... angry feminist? Why can't she be just "one of the guys"? I don't know, maybe it's just me I'm sad the line is gone only in that it was a hilarious inside joke for most of the series. As nerdy Sam says "Who SAYS that??" LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
                You know, I'm going to get my sleeping bag and my teddy bear and go sit in your tent Rachel!

COTG recut spoilers (do we need these spoiler tags even? )
                Spoiler:

I am not bothered either - delighted actually - for all the reasons Rachel mentions. It was terrible terrible line. Posterity and tradition aside that is. I mean, I loved the line for being so dreadful and yes, it is kind of SG history and I'm a bit nostalgic about it going but, you know, it's still there for all to see in the original version if you really want to.
                Honestly, given a remit to "improve" COTG, it would have been the first thing on the cutting room floor if it were up to me too.

I think, rather than focus on the negative, why not focus on the positive; the line has been cut not the scene - so we will still get that amazing, wonderful, sizzlingly hot First Meeting of our lovely couple. Who knows what was on the cutting room floor that they may have put in there instead? And who knows how much better that might be (or not). I, personally, think it will be interesting to see how it's re-edited just from the perspective of "is it shippier?" or not. I think that might be a good indication as to the ship content and direction in movie#3.

In summary, I don't think it fair to judge the entire recut based on one changed scene without at least seeing it for yourself. At the very least, wait and see what others have to say before getting upset over it.

Given the recent "doubt" over whether MGM might be procrastinating over making DVD movies (and there's plenty of rumour around about that at the moment) I wonder if threatening to damage already slumping DVD sales is going to fill MGM with the confidence they need to go ahead with either the SGA or SG-1 movie?
                I am of the opinion that MGM are waiting to see how DVD sales go for COTG and the Atlantis S5 box set before giving the final go ahead for the movies... I know SG-1#3 is technically green lit but up until and even beyond filming they can still change their minds. The fact there's no filming schedule yet, or confirmed cast list, for a movie that's supposed to be released next year (and will presumably require some time in post production and having effects added etc.) is quite worrying.
                I'm confident we will get a movie (at least the SG-1 one) but I'm not that confident that I can be blaise about it.

JMO.

On another note, I must also be the only one here slightly disapointed they did not go with Anise as a more regular love interest for Jack for a bit there. It would have been such an interesting development arc for him to be...well, ok not in love with (we all know Sam is his OTL) but in lust or, hmm, feeling fuzzy over someone who belongs to a race of people he basically loathes. It would have made for some nice dramatic tension I think. And, oh, yeah, we could still have had Jack and Sam shippyness and D&C confessions and, maybe that would have added an extra dimension to Jack's confession - confessing to having a forbidden love for a woman he cannot be with in front of both her and Ansie - the woman he's supposed to be sort of seeing. I dunno, that sounds quite interesting to me.
                Having said that I wasn't fond of Anise, mostly because of the way they dressed her. She was a bit blatent for my liking. They could have done the sexy-alien-chick without being so flipping obvious about it!

Ok, I shall duck whislt you all throw rotten veg at me (so long as it's broccoli! )
                I see others are sharing my sentiment about CtoG

As for Anise - if it had been a different actress I might have been able to go with it. Truly my dislike of the character is rooted in that aspect. HOWEVER, knowing how S4 turned out - Anise would have been more interesting say in S.5 after our super-shippy season to create all sorts of wonderful angst for our characters. Instead we waited two seasons and got

Comment

Originally posted by jumble View Post
                  So still speculation then.

I've heard several different versions of what was said by whom and about what at Shore Leave.

And don't forget SGA S5 just got released. Sales of that wood have more bearing on the SGA movie IMO.
                  Want to call it speculation IYO If MGM doesn't think there's a market for SG DVDs they are not going to risk anything at this present moment. Since we are dealing with aging actors we need it more now then later
                  sigpic

Comment

COTG remix:

Spoiler:
                    I like the line. Always have. Sure it's stereotypical, but the other officers were acting like male chauvinist pigs. Sam wouldn't have had to get all defensive if they weren't belittling her just because she is a woman. Their jokes were not funny, and their behaviour towards Sam was stereotypical macho male behaviour.

Therefore, I propose a compromise- take out the bits of Kawalski et al acting like jerks, and that line can go, in spite of the in-joke in Moebius. If the line is gone and their poor behaviour stays, then that is just unacceptable and the DVD likely will never find it's way into my house.

And to be slightly more on topic...

Two weeks until Ship Day!!
                    sigpic

Comment

More CotG thoughts:

Spoiler:
                      One of the reasons I'll buy it is because I understand, as someone who writes, the value of revision. With the written story, you can go in and revise it, make it better, but with television - especially with a brand new show that is at the mercy of a production company and power that be (back before that was BW!). In other words, they had to make sacrifices so they could a) sell the show b) make the uppers happy. Now, thirteen years later, having an established fan base and a proven hit... BW gets to do something that ANY writer would relish, a chance to truly form something he wrote into something HE could envision without the necessary compromises. I can respect that because I'm a crazy reviser. My own stories go through five or six read-throughs and revisions before they're ever posted... and I don't have anyone telling me what they want to see in it, I can totally make the story what I want.

I don't know if that makes sense, but just from an artistic POV I want to buy it because I want to join in with BW and see what he envisioned, something BETTER than what we had. The original pilot will always be there - on every first season dvd set that is purchased. This is a way for us fans, who have seen the entire series to sit back and appreciate something that I think we would appreciate more BECAUSE we've seen the whole series. We know the characters, we've written in fanfic, we've read the fanfic, we've gone along for the ride. We know what the show becomes...

Okay, I'm rambling I'm done!

Comment

*Popping in during a looooooong story meeting*

RE: CotG.

I'll buy it.

Why?

'Cause it's SG1 and it supports the franchise.

End of story.
                        Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

On the CotG re-release:
                          Spoiler:
                          Never liked that line anyway.

That line being cut isn't news, TPTB said that it was going to go when they first started the re-cut. While it is repeated in 200 & Mobius, anyone watching those has likely seen the original and they're comedy/alternate universe, respectively, so there's no canon reason for it to stay. Unlike the Han shot first change in the first redo of New Hope.
                          DDC

Comment

Watching the sales of a re-cut version of a pilot episode that is already out in the marketplace is not necessarily the wisest way to determine sellability for a new direct to dvd film.

That said, I hope the re-cut version does well. I'll be buying it, if only to listen to RDA's anticipated funny commentary.
                            sigpic
                            Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
                              *Popping in during a looooooong story meeting*

RE: CotG.

I'll buy it.

Why?

'Cause it's SG1 and it supports the franchise.

End of story.

Excellent point. We want a new movie. Well, its up to the fans to prove to MGM that SG-1 is still popular enough to invest in.
                              sigpic
                              Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                                Watching the sales of a re-cut version of a pilot episode that is already out in the marketplace is not necessarily the wisest way to determine sellability for a new direct to dvd film.

That said, I hope the re-cut version does well. I'll be buying it, if only to listen to RDA's anticipated funny commentary.
                                RDA's commentary is a HUGE point for me I think it'll be great to hear memories and thoughts from him. I was always sad that he didn't do commentary for the eps (I know he really wanted to get home to his baby girl, and I can't blame him! So I was thankful that AT did commentary LOL).

You're right that it's not the best way to test the market... but seriously, if it's got RDA do they really think it's going to do worse than the first two (which rocked the casbah??). Sheesh, RDA STARRING and not just "making a special appearance" makes me squee with delight (especially for...)

Spoiler:
                                how shall we say, "romantic" scene

Comment

Working...
                                X