This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rogue
    This is a great post. I feel the exact same way. I would be willing to accept most of the changes if they had only given Sam and Jack a proper ending. For me Threads and Moebius fell way short of my expectations.
    Mobieus was a joke. there is just no other way to describe it. it was a story line with so much potential and they squandered it. Threads came out of nowhere and could have been dealt with a little better-it would have been much better had they had a less than ambigous hint that they came to terms with their feelings and will move on together.

in the spirit of the season-and to quote Ebeneezer Scrooge-Bah Humbug!
    Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Hi guys, just got a response from the people at Comic Con about requesting RDA's appearence at the convention-
      "I have forwarded your request to the promotion people we are working with at the SciFi Channel. I can't promise if it will have an impact on what they can do - but, your voice has been heard."
      If some of you want to help send a request- www.nyccomiccon.com

Nell-did you hear from them also?
      sigpic

Comment

Well I'm still gonna kick back on the "it ain't over till it's over train". And I don't think it's over. I also don't feel robbed, cheated or otherwise infringed by the show. I preferred the show under RDA's guidance, but I'm not going to hold changes against anyone.. it's pointless for a start, but also we have no idea at this point what the future holds.

I'm a little tired of the doom and gloom on this thread, which is sad because I love coming here. It's not the end of the world kids, and certainly not the end of the potential for the characters. I would love to see more reference on the screen, but where there's none I look to the fan community to provide. Look beyond what's on the screen, by all reference we've been told Sam & Jack are together. Where's the speculation on which model of beaming device Jack scammed from Thor in New Order? Where's the fic? Come on people.. this game isn't done yet.

Also with reference to the other shows, I personally don't think any of the ones mentioned thus far has been run better than Stargate, not by a long shot... but then maybe I know too much about the behind the scenes crap that went on with them. But everyone has their own opinion and each to their own.

Me... I'm going fishing

sigpic

Comment

(((scjon)))

I too watched Dempsey and Makepeace and I think that is where I first encountered the ship thing. Then had to watch Remington Steele and also Moonlighting.

I loved the Jag ending something similar for Sam and Jack would be great.

Comment

I have just read in issue 7 of Stargate Magazine the Sally Malcolm interview about the new novels coming out and she sees no reason why in the novels Jack cannot be there with the new characters. I agree lets hope the publishers also agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
              Well I'm still gonna kick back on the "it ain't over till it's over train". And I don't think it's over. I also don't feel robbed, cheated or otherwise infringed by the show. I preferred the show under RDA's guidance, but I'm not going to hold changes against anyone.. it's pointless for a start, but also we have no idea at this point what the future holds.

I'm a little tired of the doom and gloom on this thread, which is sad because I love coming here. It's not the end of the world kids, and certainly not the end of the potential for the characters. I would love to see more reference on the screen, but where there's none I look to the fan community to provide. Look beyond what's on the screen, by all reference we've been told Sam & Jack are together. Where's the speculation on which model of beaming device Jack scammed from Thor in New Order? Where's the fic? Come on people.. this game isn't done yet.

Also with reference to the other shows, I personally don't think any of the ones mentioned thus far has been run better than Stargate, not by a long shot... but then maybe I know too much about the behind the scenes crap that went on with them. But everyone has their own opinion and each to their own.

Me... I'm going fishing
              You go, girl. That's just the kinda shipper talk we need around here. And it's true, too!

Hugs,
              mini

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
              ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Okay folks...I never got a chance to read the Shipsgiving page....but GateBee's told me about it, and I'd like to take part

I have both parts of Sally Malcolm's book
                sigpic
                Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth

Me... I'm going fishing

Right on! Keep the Faith!
                  sigpic

Comment

Sir-Wake up! I know we're on the second page but Trupi will put us back in front!
                    sigpic

Comment

Jack:Ah-What's that Major!

Sam: That's the new villian TPTB are introducing into Season 10, Sir!
                      Jack: Yeh-But what is it Major?
                      sigpic

Comment

I take it no-one wants me to participate in the book thingy?
                        sigpic
                        Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by sacme
                          Sorry for talking so much about The X-Files, but I've rediscovered my love for the show since I've been watching it again. It's my only ship fix at the mo.

This ending scene of the 8th season finale, before Duchovny leaves the show (until the series finale the next year), maybe lasted a minute and a half. But it left me speechless, my heart was full and my eyes were wet. Damn! Seeing it again reminded me of why I became a shipper. Resolution is a glorious thing. And you're exactly right, even when Duchovny wasn't there, his character was still integral to the show and the continuing plots. They paid homage to the Mulder character no matter what new characters they introduced.

What happened on Stargate?! Who fell asleep-- or maybe didn't get enough sleep-- and didn't put any time or effort into making an ecstatic ending for us and the characters. They went so simple, instead of complex. Man, that boyfriend/girlfriend angle they used to keep J/S apart is so old. The regs issue was no longer an issue since RDA was leaving.

Damn, I'm gonna start crying again.

ship sistah
                          ((((Sacme)))) good to see you around
                          I totaly agree with you on the ending of S8 of the x-files, I couldn't believe I got everything my litle shipper heart desired ... and then they had to go and spoil it with all the adoption thing in S9, so cruel and pointless and of course still unresolved. If ever there is another film I sincerely hope the search for william is central to it. What annoys me is that storyline has spoiled my enjoyment of the previous seasons and I can see the same thing happening to SG1.
                          But S8 and 9 of the x-files showed how you can mantain a character alive without it beeing on screen and so far stargate's tptb have tried very hard to totally ignore Jack ever existed. I couldn't believe he wasn't even mentioned in EX DEUS MACHINA , an episode about a treat to world security but they managed to sqweeze in Kerry johson and .
                          Do you think they are trying to tell us something?

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
                            I take it no-one wants me to participate in the book thingy?
                            ((((suekay)))) don't feel negleted .
                            I'm dying to read them, I'm in a waiting list somewhere, but probably quite low down on it because I only caught up with shipgivinday quite late. I don't want to jump anyone who's in the quew although I have no idea who they are but no doubt someone will have it and can tell you who's next.
                            Of course if no one comes foward I'll be honoured to be the first one to read your book

Comment

Originally posted by nickatell
                              Sacme I agree with you totally. TPTB knew that RDA was clearly intending to leave the show as a regular and they had plenty of time to come up with a spectacular ending for Jack and Sam and then they could have gone back to business as usual with all the changes for season 9. I guess that is what hurts me the most, TPTB had the time and they simply chose to ignore it. I think it is funny, the whole time we have been asking for more Jack and Sam and all TPTB kept telling us was that it is not the Sam and Jack hour but a team show, and now when Jack is gone they have no idea what to do with Sam so push her aside and instead concentrate on Daniel and the new characters, what happened to the team? I really feel that with Jack leaving they have no idea what to do with Teal'c either.
                              I think there was a real loss of creativity, enthusiasm and smarts in the 8th season. It started right at the beginning with the premiere (and conclusion of The Lost City story). TLC ended the 7th season at such a high and when they came back with New Order, one could immediately feel the difference. Somehow they lost their umph, drive, engine. I felt no sense of fear anymore. There were so many questionable decisions by the characters. Sam was not only not showing off her leadership skills, but IMO, the writers put a real dent in them in Gemini. And of course the ship also suffered.

In the X-Files, they were able to maximize the time that they did have Duchovney in the 8th season and his absence seemed to spur their creative juices. When they had to figure out how to explain Scully's absence in season 2 when GA was on maternity leave, they created one of the most memorable and dramatic arcs of the show. And they did the same when Duchovny was gone for half of the 8th season. They made his abduction so emotional and the writers made his cameos important. Conversely, they did not work smart with RDA's schedule and, if anything, bored us with what they gave his character to do. Jack behind the desk, upset with his paperwork. Geez.

I also agree Sacme it is very hard for me to go back and watch any of the old seasons because they remind me how much these two mean to each other but without seeing any of the "coming together" it makes it all so very sad.
                              Right now, I don't have a lot of pull to watch old eps, but I've also seen them a lot. In a few years, just like with the X-Files, I'll probably want to look back again, but I may not go past the 8th season.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed Threads a great deal, it was leading up to what could have been a fantastic resolution; but when they gave us Moebius as the conclusion it didn't add up.
                              Moebious
                              Spoiler:
                              strained so much credulity, it pained me. It's an example, IMO, of how the smart writing went bye-bye and we got stuck with common sci-fi. 'Whoops, we went back in time and-- imagine that-- we changed the timeline!'

I know, I know a slightly different timeline but it wasn't our Jack, a private man who fights his emotions, who has trouble verbalizing his feelings especially for Sam finally overcoming this and now making his feelings known to everyone. He is a man who has been confronted with all sorts of dangers and battled through them and yet it would have been humbling to see this man stumble through his profession of love for Sam. And Sam who has analyzed this relationship probably from the start, figured out every angle it could take, thought out the pros and the cons, tried to forget about even having feelings for Jack, even had Jack in her mind tell her it was okay to move on, it would have been great to finally let this woman of science let her brain rest and speak from her heart instead. These are the moments that I would like to see, of course ending their segment of the show with a body quivering kiss. Seeing this would have brought meaning to their story; but instead we got yet again another slightly different Jack and Sam; great but not the originals. As others have said it could have been worse, but my mind won't let go of it could have been better.
                              Absolutely. It could have been everything those characters --and we--deserved after 8 years of longing. Somehow someone forgot it mattered.

Sorry, for this protracted post mortem of the show and ship to all the happy shiplets. But after seeing it done so right on another show, I felt the need to figure out what went wrong (IMO) on Stargate. I think part of it may be that X-Files respected the ship and its fanbase more.

I have no doubt that Sam and Jack are together. That's not the issue for me. The ship is only past tense because it already is, it exists, it is resolved by all accounts-- they are a happy couple... somewhere. I'm complaining about the fact that we never got to see how the big R truly came about and we never got to share in their happiness. That's just plain crappy.

I will continue to watch the 9th season and a 10th, if only because I'm a glutton and hopeless. I won't abandon the show, even if it is a different show now. I just won't love it the way I did.

ship sistah

p.s. Does anyone know if AT asked not to be the lead? I can't understand her not getting top billing, except because she didn't want the commitment because of her baby. Otherwise, it's a travesty if she got the shaft for someone new to the show.
                              Last edited by sacme; 30 November 2005, 07:34 PM.

ship = , no ship = , AU Martouf =

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                                You go, girl. That's just the kinda shipper talk we need around here. And it's true, too!

Hugs,
                                mini
                                and where do you see their future? i'm not talking about 'guessing' that they're together, i'm talking about SEEING them together. i've always been an optimistic shipper, but this year has been so #&^#%$ with interviews and blogs and question/answers and NO ship in the show... show me where there's hope, and i'll grab onto it with both hands. i'm serious, show me the light at the end of the tunnel.

sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X