Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jack: No, no, no, no!!! I don't believe it! We're on the second page. FCOL, the Wraiths are on the first page!!! That is wrong on so many levels!!! Where are the Shippers???

**thanks to Kliggins for the cap**
    sigpic

Comment

Sam: Jack, I don't believe it!! The Wraiths!!

**thanks to Lys for the cap**
      sigpic

Comment

Jack: Not gonna happen!!

**thanks to fill-in-the-blank for the cap**
        sigpic

Comment

Sam: Ahhh, that's better!!

**thanks to ShimmeringStar for the cap**
          sigpic

Comment

Jack: Sweet!!! Back on page One!!!

**thanks to Mala50 for cap**
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by trupi
              Thanks for the support. The con. is in the Javits center and it's running after Friday after 4pm on Feb 24, then the Sat. and Sun. . So if you can get in, I would recommend the Friday, when the SCFI channel is showing the Friday lineup without commercials. Should be fun!
              Thanks for the information, Trupi. I'm checking about extra time off tomorrow
              In the Kingdom of Hope, there is no Winter

Life is too short for drama & petty things,
              so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly & forgive quickly!

Attendee of Shore Leave28, AT2 and AVALON
              Proud Member of the Sam is a Great Character Thread
              Hic Comitas Regit
              Member of the Ship, Ship Hooray Special Ops Team
              Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild (proud Shore Leave 28 attendee).

Comment

Originally posted by LadyJeep
                Thanks for the information, Trupi. I'm checking about extra time off tomorrow

Jack: Thanks, LadyJeep!! Ya pushed us past The Wraiths again!! D'oh!!

**thanks to fill-in-the-blank for the cap**
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
                  You know...I think I've finally pin-pointed the exact reason why I no longer like the show...

all of my favourite shows have always big cast upheavals, but SG1 was different...it had the same core characters, and even when one of them left, he came back...I looked forward to tuning in and seeing the same people...SG1 was a rarity with very few cast changes...the rest of the Sci Fi shows changed cast all the time.

Now, as with all other Sci Fis...TPTB have decided to change everything...with not one new character...but
                  Spoiler:
                  three
                  and the departure of four (Jack, Hammond, Jonas and Janet) only two of who actually wanted to leave (Don S Davis and RDA)

Hi, Shipper Family! I'm back after several days of holiday activities, and I must say that reading your posts has made me quite despondent...especially the ones that refer to JM's thread. sueKay, I understand your point, but this situation just gets stranger and stranger. I can't think of any show that has had more upheaval over the years than ER. I also know I keep using it as an example, but it's the most similar one I know. So, how have both shows handled change?

Cast Changes
                  l
                  ER: Integrates changes into storyline, providing each character with a reason to leave and clear information about what has happened to him/her
                  l
                  SG-1: We still have no canon info on where Jack is. We know Janet is dead, and Hammond retired, but what happened to Jack? And why won't they tell us?

Introduction of New Characters
                  l
                  ER: Often overlaps the arrivals/departures of characters for a more seemless transition.
                  l
                  SG-1: Transitions are for sissies! Give it to the viewers and let them take it or leave it. New fans love BB & CB! To heck with the existing fan base! We'll still break even on the ratings! (Of course, if they had managed the transition a little better, they might have won new viewers and kept the old ones.....and added to the ratings!)

Respect to Backstory:
                  l
                  ER: Departing characters (and loyal viewers) are treated with respect and love. Even Dr. Mark Greene's (Anthony Edwards) death was handled in such a way that viewers could be at peace with it. Other characters (Sherry Stringfield, Noah Wyle) have been allowed to leave and return without having their characters crucified in the interim.
                  l
                  SG-1: Kill Janet. Don't tell 'em where Jack went. Drop the S/J ship. Pshaw! They'll still come back! Who needs a backstory or history when we have new stories to tell?

And I could go on and on.....but you get the point. That "probably not" from Joe has knocked the wind out of my sails. And the thing is--there must be something else going on! Why mismanage things in such a large way otherwise? Even if there has been a major blow-up between RDA and TPTB, why not acknowledge the ship in little ways? What are they planning for Sam that would keep them from doing that? If they pair her up with someone, her character would look bad. If they don't pair her up with someone, what's wrong with acknowledging that she's with Jack?

My head hurts.

Comment

Guess what? The rep system is working again! Darren got it working this afternoon. Green jello for all!

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                      Hi, Shipper Family! I'm back after several days of holiday activities, and I must say that reading your posts has made me quite despondent...especially the ones that refer to JM's thread. sueKay, I understand your point, but this situation just gets stranger and stranger. I can't think of any show that has had more upheaval over the years than ER. I also know I keep using it as an example, but it's the most similar one I know. So, how have both shows handled change?...
                      Very nice analysis. As another point in ER's favor, they didn't drop the ship when one half (Clooney) left, and they even resolved it happily. Horrors!

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                        Hi, Shipper Family! I'm back after several days of holiday activities, and I must say that reading your posts has made me quite despondent...especially the ones that refer to JM's thread. sueKay, I understand your point, but this situation just gets stranger and stranger. I can't think of any show that has had more upheaval over the years than ER. I also know I keep using it as an example, but it's the most similar one I know. So, how have both shows handled change?

Cast Changes
                        l
                        ER: Integrates changes into storyline, providing each character with a reason to leave and clear information about what has happened to him/her
                        l
                        SG-1: We still have no canon info on where Jack is. We know Janet is dead, and Hammond retired, but what happened to Jack? And why won't they tell us?

Introduction of New Characters
                        l
                        ER: Often overlaps the arrivals/departures of characters for a more seemless transition.
                        l
                        SG-1: Transitions are for sissies! Give it to the viewers and let them take it or leave it. New fans love BB & CB! To heck with the existing fan base! We'll still break even on the ratings! (Of course, if they had managed the transition a little better, they might have won new viewers and kept the old ones.....and added to the ratings!)

Respect to Backstory:
                        l
                        ER: Departing characters (and loyal viewers) are treated with respect and love. Even Dr. Mark Greene's (Anthony Edwards) death was handled in such a way that viewers could be at peace with it. Other characters (Sherry Stringfield, Noah Wyle) have been allowed to leave and return without having their characters crucified in the interim.
                        l
                        SG-1: Kill Janet. Don't tell 'em where Jack went. Drop the S/J ship. Pshaw! They'll still come back! Who needs a backstory or history when we have new stories to tell?

And I could go on and on.....but you get the point. That "probably not" from Joe has knocked the wind out of my sails. And the thing is--there must be something else going on! Why mismanage things in such a large way otherwise? Even if there has been a major blow-up between RDA and TPTB, why not acknowledge the ship in little ways? What are they planning for Sam that would keep them from doing that? If they pair her up with someone, her character would look bad. If they don't pair her up with someone, what's wrong with acknowledging that she's with Jack?

My head hurts.
                        ((((sg-1fanintn)))) Gee, the last time you were away the GABIT news broke and now after the holiday you learn about Joe's blow to Ship!! Yeah, well, it's a little bleak around here. The posting goes down in these lean times, huh?

Your comparison to ER helps to underscore the point....TPTB are seeming to go for the sensationalism instead of the continuity of the 8 years of canon. Pity. Although RDA's absence is a big, honkin' loss for the show, it did not necessarily mean that the show could not recover and thrive.

But, NO!! Somebody started tinkering with the formula and chemistry and dynamics and produced a satirical version of the SG-1 we loved. SG-1 Seasons 1-8 were Not perfect. There were some klunker episodes and some weaker seasons but for the most part it was interesting, entertaining, and fun!!

The relationships were the foundation of the show. From our main to minor characters....Jack to General Hammond and Kinsey to Mayborne and Felger and Siler and all the others. They had a connection to each other in their jobs and stories year after year.

And closures. Hey, when Maybourne left we knew where, why and how. Martouf's symbiote even found a new host to give closure to his story. Kinsey.Ditto. Janet got a touching memorial. Even gosh darn Apophis had closure. So, what about Jack? What about Jack?

Last but not least. The Ship! Sam and Jack Ship! Unlike Daniel and Vala, at least Sam's and Jack's story had dignity and respect towards each other. At least they were not arguing, mocking, bickering. TPTB didn't give Sam and Jack nor the fans much in the way of Ship but they maintained their professional honor and personal dignity.

Ooooops, I sound like I'm delivering a eulogy. Nope, Stargate SG-1 is not ended/finished and/or done for. Yet.
                        Last edited by nell; 28 November 2005, 07:21 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Anunnaki
                          Sam & Jack were (and are) a deliberate ‘pair-making’ strategy on the part of the creative minds behind SG-1. Whether and how the Air Force regulations can and/or should determine that the two of them ever consummate their affections for one another, or whether and how Sam Carter’s character would be positively or detrimentally affected by that sort of liaison is certainly fodder for discussion boards such as these; for conversations with the writer/producers/actors and for editorial essays made by fans who have very pertinent points to make. But those conversations are still and ultimately … beyond the scope of what the show can ever be.

Sam & Jack as an on-screen pairing may be up for much debate and speculation within the “Gater” community at large. But the blatant and intentional ‘attraction’ between those two characters was decided upon and implemented for canon (and the casual viewer) many years ago. Discussion (in hindsight) of what should have/could have/would have made for better character development (including those discussions wherein there is no romantic attraction between anyone on SG-1 at any time) are, again, wonderful topics for philosophical debate on a forum such as this. But they cannot change what already is. Nor the fact that “Threads”, as an episode, was written (in part) to strongly imply the furthering of the Sam/Jack romance/attraction--beyond the emotional and pragmatic (perpetual tension) boundaries of where it had been relegated prior to season nine.

Shipper or non shipper, ‘Gater’ or ‘casual viewer’, those are simply the categorical facts.
                          Cheers,
                          .A.
                          Rediscovered this lovely, thoughtful thread by *Anunnaki*. It deserves another bump for those like me - - who need a Sam/Jack Ship refresher. Said so much better than I could ever.

Just sayin', well said (again) for all seasons. Thanks, A.
                          MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                          sigpic
                          Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

nell I hate to bring more bad news and just in case anyone was not sure what TPTB think about the Sam/Jack Ship take a look at the following from ask JM.

Speaking of spinning stories. If Rick does re-appear for any epsiodes in season ten, is there some possibility, any possibility at all, that there'd be some kind of mention wherein there's even a glimpse of a hope for Sam/Jack? I know you've said you "don't know" if there will ever be a resolution, and I get that. But I'd like to get a sense of whether that's because the other producers would rather never deal with it again, or whether there's any hope at all. Assuming Rick was able to come back for a guest spot, what would be the reason there'd be no further mention whatsoever of the pretty undeniable character evolution(s) that happened in "Threads"? Is it a taboo topic at the writer's table there or something?

mini

A possible Sam/Jack storyline/scene/suggestion is really the farthest thing from our minds at the moment. I've often said it would have been a nice way to end the series but, at present, O'Neill is no longer on the show and we're focused on coming up with stories for season10.

It sounds like even if RDA does do a Season 10 episode we still may not get Sam/Jack Ship.I guess watching the rest of Season 9 and 10 will be the farthest thing from my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by ses110
                              nell I hate to bring more bad news and just in case anyone was not sure what TPTB think about the Sam/Jack Ship take a look at the following from ask JM.

Speaking of spinning stories. If Rick does re-appear for any epsiodes in season ten, is there some possibility, any possibility at all, that there'd be some kind of mention wherein there's even a glimpse of a hope for Sam/Jack? I know you've said you "don't know" if there will ever be a resolution, and I get that. But I'd like to get a sense of whether that's because the other producers would rather never deal with it again, or whether there's any hope at all. Assuming Rick was able to come back for a guest spot, what would be the reason there'd be no further mention whatsoever of the pretty undeniable character evolution(s) that happened in "Threads"? Is it a taboo topic at the writer's table there or something?

mini

A possible Sam/Jack storyline/scene/suggestion is really the farthest thing from our minds at the moment. I've often said it would have been a nice way to end the series but, at present, O'Neill is no longer on the show and we're focused on coming up with stories for season10.

It sounds like even if RDA does do a Season 10 episode we still may not get Sam/Jack Ship.I guess watching the rest of Season 9 and 10 will be the farthest thing from my mind.
                              I was afraid of that. Joe's not playing coy. He sounds serious. Since we didn't get it when he responded to Uber's, LOL4JACK's and my questions, he made sure that we did "get it" in his response to mini. I'm taking a time out. Later.
                              sigpic

Comment

Hi Anunnaki, Having seen your wonderful posts before over at the Yahoo groups, I knew I was in for a great read when I saw you initiated this thread
                                Your posts are just an inkling of what a fantastic writer you are! Bravo!

I agree that Threads was obviously meant to be seen as the resolution episode by TPTB and I loved it but that's not how some shippers see it. They and I'm one of them, believe that Threads was the emotional point just before the resolution. Now some of us are awaiting confirmation of RST. A smile from Sam when Daniel asks how Jack's doing? Oh Wait! Does Daniel even know where the H**L Jack is? A one sided phone call as many have mentioned. Something...anything that would confirm that they are together. "Not Exactly?" Close but no cigar.

Comment

Working...
                                X