Daniel Jackson/Vala Mal Doran Ship/Discussion/Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whisper99 View Post
    I was never able to see Daniel/Cam up until Q2 By then, I could totally see Daniel/Cam/Vala

As for Morpheus, oh yeah, I totally love the daughter/father vibe they had going on there. I do think they toned it down during the seasons though, probably because they wanted to work on the whole Lam and Landry reconciliation. But I always did get the feeling that Landry cared about Vala and what happened to her.
    Yeeeah, not so fond of the Landry--Lam issues. They pushed those issues in there pretty quickly after introducing the characters and it was just too soon for me. I didn't actually CARE about the characters yet, nevermind what their issues with each other were. If Lam had showed up with a long-standing issue with.... Sam, for example, or Mitchell, or Daniel, then I really might have found it interesting. But the two characters were still strangers to me, so I really.... just... didn't care.

I DID like the way Vala and Landry's relationship evolved over time. He went from snarking, "What's she still doing on my base?" to actually taking her opinions into consideration (yeah, slowly...) and almost appearing amused by her at times.
    sigpic

Comment

Hi! Just stopping by quickly tonight because I'm stuck in a moment of writer's block, because Daniel is being pissy and not talking to me. For the first time in the months I've been writing him, the man has clammed up! Who knew it could actually happen?

Favourite D/V scenes to rewatch? Pretty much all of Prometheus Unbound, of course. I rewatched That Scene in Unending several times while writing my last fic, because I really wanted to capture some of those emotions, but I find that episode exhausting (emotionally) to watch, so I can't do it very often. I love Flesh and Blood, actually. Daniel swooping in to rescure Vala, only to have to avoid Tomin, and then when he grabs her in the end...

Avalon Pt 1 was on Space Channel up here in Canada last night (and I realized that if I'd actually had the patience to stick to just watching the show on that syndication, which was where I was first introduced to it, I'd *just now* be at the point where I'd seen every episode...), and I couldn't help but notice something that's been on my mind for awhile now.

Daniel really is pretty touchy-feely with Vala, even when he's (supposedly) rejecting her advances. He always seems to have a hand on her shoulder/arm/waist. Its a dynamic I've played with when I'm writing them - the idea that as soon as things begin to develop, Daniel just can't keep his hands off of her - but I'm wondering if this is something everyone else has noticed...
      sigpic
      Live Journal | FF.net

Comment

Originally posted by Risti View Post
        Daniel really is pretty touchy-feely with Vala, even when he's (supposedly) rejecting her advances. He always seems to have a hand on her shoulder/arm/waist. Its a dynamic I've played with when I'm writing them - the idea that as soon as things begin to develop, Daniel just can't keep his hands off of her - but I'm wondering if this is something everyone else has noticed...
        Mm, I've noticed that too. But I'm also seeing that it's a Daniel thing in general, just more prominent with the people he loves. Are you at all familiar with the 5 Love Languages theory? I'm guessing Daniel's language is Touch, and since those languages are unconscious...well, that explains a lot about how he deals with Vala, doesn't it?

~Friendshipping (among others) the two most awesome women of Stargate.
        ~My Stargate fanfic can be found on my Livejournal

Comment

Originally posted by MerryK View Post
          Mm, I've noticed that too. But I'm also seeing that it's a Daniel thing in general, just more prominent with the people he loves. Are you at all familiar with the 5 Love Languages theory? I'm guessing Daniel's language is Touch, and since those languages are unconscious...well, that explains a lot about how he deals with Vala, doesn't it?
          Yeah, I could see that being a Daniel thing in general (might also explain partially why he's the character that seems to get shipped with everyone on the show), and yeah, I am familiar with the 5 Love Languages theory. That would actually explain a lot about the D/V relationship...

...It just seems like whenever I get into Daniel's head, he ends up getting more physical, and often faster, than I intend him to with Vala...

(not that I'm expecting to find anyone complaining about that, here)
          sigpic
          Live Journal | FF.net

Comment

Originally posted by Ladyinred View Post
            Lovely!
            Thank you, below is the next set.

Hi! Just stopping by quickly tonight because I'm stuck in a moment of writer's block, because Daniel is being pissy and not talking to me. For the first time in the months I've been writing him, the man has clammed up! Who knew it could actually happen?
            Don't you hate it when that happens? I'm going through the same thing, only its an ACP story and Michael's the one giving me the trouble

As promised above, the next Wallpaper/sig set.

Wallpaper:

Sig:

Comment

hi shippers! *waves*
              awesome artwork hopalong, you can drop more anytime

i just watched the SGA trailer for next weeks ep, its the one with daniel!!! *squeeeeees* gosh he looks awesome *happy sigh*

i totally feel with you, risti, just had to deal with the same. but now i FINALLY could edit/finish my story, after 9 days striking muses, they decided to help me. am really glad gonna post it after nat had a look at it

Comment

Favourite D/V scenes to rewatch? Pretty much all of Prometheus Unbound, of course. I rewatched That Scene in Unending several times while writing my last fic, because I really wanted to capture some of those emotions, but I find that episode exhausting (emotionally) to watch, so I can't do it very often. I love Flesh and Blood, actually. Daniel swooping in to rescure Vala, only to have to avoid Tomin, and then when he grabs her in the end...

Avalon Pt 1 was on Space Channel up here in Canada last night (and I realized that if I'd actually had the patience to stick to just watching the show on that syndication, which was where I was first introduced to it, I'd *just now* be at the point where I'd seen every episode...), and I couldn't help but notice something that's been on my mind for awhile now.

Sorry to hear about Daniel not talking...lol...how unusual...I always found it kinda ironic that he seemed impatient with Vala's chatter when he's rather loquacious himself,lol

I too have enjoyed Avalon Pt's 1 and 2 on Space the last couple of nights(I do hope they've stopped screwing with the air times).
                I really like how when you've an episode enough times that you sorta know off by heart what's going to happen that you start seeing stuff you didn't notice before.
                Like this time thru I noticed Daniel's hands during that scene on Prometheus when they're looking at the results of the scan of Glastonbury Tor and Vala's flashing her cleavage at Marks(right?) how Daniel pulls her away from Marks by the scruff of her neck BUT then his hand curves over her shoulder and stays there for several beats.....
                WHAT was that?....Territorial?...Possessive?....or sorta like telling a dog to 'sit, stay'
                And yes there has been much talk in the past around here about Daniel's seeming inability to keep himself from touching her
                So hey maybe if you're gonna be around because Daniel's not talking to you, you and I could do a running commentary on S9 as Space is running it....our very own episode discussion.
                LC
                sigpic

http://www.moonsmusings.com/bluemoon/
                http://www.gatefic.com/

My Fiction:

Comment

You betcha I noticed! GLEEFULLY noticed! Their little trip to Harrid and Sallis-land was one of the biggest examples, for me. They were, at that point, still kinda bounds together by the effects of the bracelets and that's supposedly why Vala was still there and Daniel was still "tolerating" her presence, but... when they walked out of Harrid and Sallis' house and went off to explore the village, Daniel wraps her arm around his and gives her hand a little affectionate pat and off they go together, with him lookin' pretty darned comfy with her. He's very touchy feely with her right from the very start.
                  sigpic

Comment

<snip>

Oh good God yes, he's always touching her, even from the very beginning, but most especially I think after he got her back. I think it was completely subconscious on his part, but in the back of his brain I imagine he just needed to be assured that she was *there* and she was *real* and he wasn't going crazy.

I mean, really, think about this poor man who has a reputation of being the one who always loses 'the girl'. Who is always in search of some woman or other he's involved with. And when Vala goes missing, he quietly goes to Sam and asks for her help, to the point where he tells nobody else what he's planning on doing. Back in Memento Mori he tells Cam:

You know, when Vala first disappeared, when the Ori gate was destroyed, I refused to write her off. Although the odds were against it, I believed somehow she'd found a way to survive. And it turned out I was right. I wanna be right again.

(excuse me while I do a D/V fangirl *squeeeeeeeeee*) *ahem* Anyway, he says that and those words are so very, VERY telling. What the implications of that entire 'I believed she found a way to survive...I wanna be right again' says how so very, VERY important she is to him.

I've gone off on a tangent now, but I do wonder if perhaps Sam, Cam and Teal'c were the only ones who really saw what was going on between them?

With Sam, since she spent so many years repressing her own feelings for Jack, I can imagine that she might have thought Daniel was doing the same thing, and since she herself never made a move towards Jack, she could understand why Daniel would just sit back and do nothing.

With Cam, I wonder if he never said anything because he wouldn't want to risk Daniel leaving SG1, but I'm 100% certain that Cam has known for awhile that Daniel was falling in love with Vala.

With Teal'c, it's hard to say. I've always gotten the impression that he was rather amused over the whole thing, and that Vala was probably fairly harmless and might be a good thing for Daniel. Of course, after Unending, we all know that T knows how good they could be together.

Comment

Originally posted by LC_ View Post
                      Sorry to hear about Daniel not talking...lol...how unusual...I always found it kinda ironic that he seemed impatient with Vala's chatter when he's rather loquacious himself,lol

I too have enjoyed Avalon Pt's 1 and 2 on Space the last couple of nights(I do hope they've stopped screwing with the air times).
                      I really like how when you've an episode enough times that you sorta know off by heart what's going to happen that you start seeing stuff you didn't notice before.
                      Like this time thru I noticed Daniel's hands during that scene on Prometheus when they're looking at the results of the scan of Glastonbury Tor and Vala's flashing her cleavage at Marks(right?) how Daniel pulls her away from Marks by the scruff of her neck BUT then his hand curves over her shoulder and stays there for several beats.....
                      WHAT was that?....Territorial?...Possessive?....or sorta like telling a dog to 'sit, stay'
                      And yes there has been much talk in the past around here about Daniel's seeming inability to keep himself from touching her
                      So hey maybe if you're gonna be around because Daniel's not talking to you, you and I could do a running commentary on S9 as Space is running it....our very own episode discussion.
                      LC
                      That to me was all Daniel all but pissing on Vala saying 'she's mine' to the poor guy who had his face in Vala's cleavage. LOL!

Comment

Ohh, do tell, what is this '5 Love Languages' theory? I don't think I've ever heard of such a thing. How do you apply it to Daniel/Vala?

Comment

With Teal'c, it's hard to say. I've always gotten the impression that he was rather amused over the whole thing, and that Vala was probably fairly harmless and might be a good thing for Daniel. Of course, after Unending, we all know that T knows how good they could be together.
                          Yep..yep...yep...yep...yep.... I really REALLY wanted to see at least a LITTLE nudging being done in AoT or Continuum because Teal'c DID see for himself how happy the two of them could be together. And it wasn't like Teal'c popped into an alternate reality and saw them together or something - it was THAT Daniel and THAT Vala and how things would have naturally progressed for them under that circumstance. It was an alternate time, but not a parallel universe. I wanted to see just a LITTLE something subtle from Teal'c in either of those two movies. Even though he clearly doesn't want to interfere with the natural development of things he surely must also want to see Daniel happy.
                          sigpic

Comment

Ohh, do tell, what is this '5 Love Languages' theory? I don't think I've ever heard of such a thing. How do you apply it to Daniel/Vala?
                            It's a psychological theory about love and how we show it to each other. The idea is that there are different ways of showing love, and not everyone responds to every kind. The five "languages" of love are: Acts of Service, Gifts, Touch, Quality Time, and Words of Affirmation.

Most people have a dominant language, but many are bilingual. For instance, if your dominant language is Gifts, you'll always remember to give people birthday and Christmas presents, you'll pick up souvenirs for them on your trips, give random little things you think they'll like, etc. But you also only feel loved if people give you gifts. So if your partner's language is Words of Affirmation, s/he will tell you all the time that s/he loves you, write poems or songs in your honor, leave cute sticky notes in prominent places, congratulate you on all accomplishments, encourage you when you're down, etc. S/he won't think it's a big deal if they forget to give you a birthday present or an anniversary gift, because they told you how special you were to them and how you make their life perfect. They think they're showing that they love you, but you won't feel loved because they aren't "speaking your language" by giving you gifts.

Just as another, real life, example: my love language is Touch, but my mother's was Acts of Service. On my birthday, she would always let me get away with doing no chores, and cook my favorite meal—but we didn't hug or have snuggle time. She thought she was being a loving mother, but I never felt like she cared—and vice versa on her birthday. We both had to learn about the Love Languages before we could realize that we really did both love each other, just not in a way the other could understand.

So how does this work for Daniel and Vala? Daniel has always been affectionate with his touch: cuddling with Sha're, touching Sam or Janet's arm when he's concerned about them, etc. And he clearly does this with Vala, as well. So I would say his love language is Touch.

Vala? She's probably mixed, I'd say, speaking both Touch and Acts of Service. She's often trying to prove herself by doing something, not just for Daniel but for SG-1 in general, the way she freely offers information or help (Pegasus Project, Insiders, 200, The Quest, etc.). But she's also physically affectionate, giving Teal'c a hip bump or hugging Sam, and of course all the little things with Daniel. And notice how Vala is hurt when Daniel pushes her away? It's the physical act of refusing love and she feels it deeply.

So unlike friendships or coupleships where the partners have different languages, where each must learn to speak and understand their partner's to coexist harmoniously, Daniel and Vala have an edge up by sharing the same language (at least mostly). As long as they both admit and accept that they love each other, there shouldn't be any misunderstandings or feelings of abandonment.

~Friendshipping (among others) the two most awesome women of Stargate.
                            ~My Stargate fanfic can be found on my Livejournal

Comment

It's a psychological theory about love and how we show it to each other. The idea is that there are different ways of showing love, and not everyone responds to every kind. The five "languages" of love are: Acts of Service, Gifts, Touch, Quality Time, and Words of Affirmation.

Most people have a dominant language, but many are bilingual. For instance, if your dominant language is Gifts, you'll always remember to give people birthday and Christmas presents, you'll pick up souvenirs for them on your trips, give random little things you think they'll like, etc. But you also only feel loved if people give you gifts. So if your partner's language is Words of Affirmation, s/he will tell you all the time that s/he loves you, write poems or songs in your honor, leave cute sticky notes in prominent places, congratulate you on all accomplishments, encourage you when you're down, etc. S/he won't think it's a big deal if they forget to give you a birthday present or an anniversary gift, because they told you how special you were to them and how you make their life perfect. They think they're showing that they love you, but you won't feel loved because they aren't "speaking your language" by giving you gifts.

Just as another, real life, example: my love language is Touch, but my mother's was Acts of Service. On my birthday, she would always let me get away with doing no chores, and cook my favorite meal—but we didn't hug or have snuggle time. She thought she was being a loving mother, but I never felt like she cared—and vice versa on her birthday. We both had to learn about the Love Languages before we could realize that we really did both love each other, just not in a way the other could understand.

So how does this work for Daniel and Vala? Daniel has always been affectionate with his touch: cuddling with Sha're, touching Sam or Janet's arm when he's concerned about them, etc. And he clearly does this with Vala, as well. So I would say his love language is Touch.

Vala? She's probably mixed, I'd say, speaking both Touch and Acts of Service. She's often trying to prove herself by doing something, not just for Daniel but for SG-1 in general, the way she freely offers information or help (Pegasus Project, Insiders, 200, The Quest, etc.). But she's also physically affectionate, giving Teal'c a hip bump or hugging Sam, and of course all the little things with Daniel. And notice how Vala is hurt when Daniel pushes her away? It's the physical act of refusing love and she feels it deeply.

So unlike friendships or coupleships where the partners have different languages, where each must learn to speak and understand their partner's to coexist harmoniously, Daniel and Vala have an edge up by sharing the same language (at least mostly). As long as they both admit and accept that they love each other, there shouldn't be any misunderstandings or feelings of abandonment.
                              Well wow...that's some food for thought. And I love how you explain it with Daniel & Vala:

Originally posted by MerryK
                              So unlike friendships or coupleships where the partners have different languages, where each must learn to speak and understand their partner's to coexist harmoniously, Daniel and Vala have an edge up by sharing the same language (at least mostly).
                              That's a beautiful way of putting it. *gets all dreamy eyed* Gah! I do NOT need more food for my plot bunny!!!

Comment

Auugh! Beautiful discussion about love, and my brain's fried and I can't think what to say. Except that I agree with the analysis.

So I'll just drop the next wallpaper/sig set off.

Wallpaper:

Sig:

Comment

Working...
                                X