No announcement yet.

Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am doing / photo art, well it's one I started shortly after St. Patrick's day back in March, that's basically like a bulletin board/ cork board type photo art and I want to try and finish it.
    So if Sam and Jack had a bulletin board what things do you think they would tack up there?

I have a few things in mind but could use some more. Here is what I have so far:
    • a grocery list with cake, jello, diet soda, fruit loops. Anybody have anything else to add to this?
    • a picture of them together decked out for St. Patrick's day. This is already on the photo art.
    • another picture of them. I'm not going to say which one. You'll have to wait and see on that.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

* a grocery list with cake, jello, diet soda, fruit loops. Anybody have anything else to add to this?
      * a picture of them together decked out for St. Patrick's day. This is already on the photo art.
      * another picture of them. I'm not going to say which one. You'll have to wait and see on that.

Add beer to the grocery list. Guinness.
      sigpic
      My Stories: FFdotNet
      My Stories AO3
      Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

WOOOOOOO! Hey hey hey! How is everyone doing??
        I am gonna reallyy TRY to get some icons/wp done soon. I can't make any promises though.. Sorry.
        sigpic
        My tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
          Sam alway liked bouncing ideas off of Daniel. Even in charge, I still think she would discuss scientific problems with him. And seeing her as a "technobabbler" I think really sells her character short.
          I'm not sure the importance of Sam's being able to 'technobabble' is as much about the character or her abilities and preferences (for Daniel vs Jack) as it is about simple storytelling. There must be *someone* on the show who has a reason to explain the scientific rationale behind what has happened and what is going to happen. If that person is also the commander, they have little reason to spend time in exposition. In the military, the leader can simply act without explaining. With Sam in command of SG1, I suspect it was trickier to put in moments when she needed to explain the science and technology while in the field simply from a logical narrative flow.

They got around this on SGA because they had other science types (including McKay on the primary team) that Sam never had to explain what was going on to herself.

I don't, however, think this was the primary practical reason she wasn't in command of SG1 after S8 on the show. I just think it's a valid point in favor of her not being (not, again, from a real perspective but from a 'making a TV show' perspective).

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
            So many stories were told from earth in S8 because RDA was the star and he was now the earth-bound general. That's what Brad Wright said in an interview for Gateworld just before S9 aired. And Sam was always happy to technobabble to Daniel, who actually listened to her; so I don't buy that as any kind of a valid reason for Sam not being in command.
            You know, that explanation doesn't work for me. Or rather doesn't work entirely. I simply don't understand why filler episodes from the middle of the season, such as Affinity or Endgame or Sacrifices or PU couldn't have been turned into off-world adventures. Jack's role in them was minimal: 1-2 exposition scenes that could have been easily turned into briefing scenes. So I actually agree with Seahen that Jack's new command couldn't have been the sole reason of writing Earth-bound stories.

Originally posted by JenniferJF
            I'm not sure the importance of Sam's being able to 'technobabble' is as much about the character or her abilities and preferences (for Daniel vs Jack) as it is about simple storytelling. There must be *someone* on the show who has a reason to explain the scientific rationale behind what has happened and what is going to happen. If that person is also the commander, they have little reason to spend time in exposition. In the military, the leader can simply act without explaining. With Sam in command of SG1, I suspect it was trickier to put in moments when she needed to explain the science and technology while in the field simply from a logical narrative flow.

They got around this on SGA because they had other science types (including McKay on the primary team) that Sam never had to explain what was going on to herself.

I don't, however, think this was the primary practical reason she wasn't in command of SG1 after S8 on the show. I just think it's a valid point in favor of her not being (not, again, from a real perspective but from a 'making a TV show' perspective).
            I agree. Finding a way for her to be the leader and deliver exposition pieces at the same time would have been challenging...But then the writers had spoiled us before with some excellent storytelling in earlier seasons and I wish they had at least *tried*.
            There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
            sigpic
            awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post

*sigh* I hate when people explain what I'm thinking better than I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post
                I agree. Finding a way for her to be the leader and deliver exposition pieces at the same time would have been challenging...But then the writers had spoiled us before with some excellent storytelling in earlier seasons and I wish they had at least *tried*.
                And I agree

Comment

Originally posted by planet_tv View Post
                  I am doing / photo art, well it's one I started shortly after St. Patrick's day back in March, that's basically like a bulletin board/ cork board type photo art and I want to try and finish it.
                  So if Sam and Jack had a bulletin board what things do you think they would tack up there?

I have a few things in mind but could use some more. Here is what I have so far:
                  • a grocery list with cake, jello, diet soda, fruit loops. Anybody have anything else to add to this?
                  • a picture of them together decked out for St. Patrick's day. This is already on the photo art.
                  • another picture of them. I'm not going to say which one. You'll have to wait and see on that.
                  How about a couple of steaks... for Jack to completely char on the barbecue, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post
                    You know, that explanation doesn't work for me. Or rather doesn't work entirely. I simply don't understand why filler episodes from the middle of the season, such as Affinity or Endgame or Sacrifices or PU couldn't have been turned into off-world adventures. Jack's role in them was minimal: 1-2 exposition scenes that could have been easily turned into briefing scenes. So I actually agree with Seahen that Jack's new command couldn't have been the sole reason of writing Earth-bound stories.

Yes, I agree with Jenn and Seahen about why she was better suited in the babble position that the in charge one but, I also think that's a valid point and they could have written around the whole thing better at times.

On the first part of your post, there's fillers in every season so you have to expect a certain amount of it. There was rather more earth based ones in S8 which frustrated. Thank heavens SG-1 was more great stories than filler for the most part.

On Affinity though, I'd hesitate to describe that as filler. Ok, yes, the "A" plot was very meh and I could live without Krista's character (and oh so cliched abusive boyfriend story) just fine but, beyond that there's huge character development for Teal'c. He tries to move into a place on Earth outside the base and finds that, even after all this time, there's a bit of him that just can't fit in to normal life here.
                    And then there's Sam, who gets proposed to, out the blue by the looks of it (were there ever two people on completely different pages in their relationship as her and Pete at that point). Then she agonises over whether she's ever likely to get a better offer than that, has one last ditch attempt to try and find out whether Jack is prepared to step up to the plate, finds him frustratingly obtuse and, in a moment of what can only be described as madness (don't even start me on how OOC that was her saying "yes" there under those circumstances) agrees to marry Pete.

That is huge character development.

And then there's that scene with Jack in her lab. I love that scene. It's just so angsty and telling. Here she is, basically saying "Give me some sign, some hint that you still feel that way about me. Anything, no matter how small. Then I'll know not to settle for 'good enough'".
                    And Jack, bless him, just loves her so damn much he's prepared to let her go and be happy because he thinks that's what she wants. She asks him in about as direct a way as she can under the circumstances, to tell her he still loves her and he gives her that non answer knowing exactly what she was asking and exactly how she'd interpret it.

Talk about both on the wrong wavelength.

*smacks Jack upside the head*

*thinks for a moment....*

*smacks Sam upside the head for saying "yes" to Pete"

*thinks again..."*

*locks both of them in a room together and tells them sternly to "sort it out!"*

Ah if only!

I realise a lot of people here can't stand Affinity and there's a lot to dislike about it but that scene in her lab is just priceless and makes it worth sitting through the rest, Or at least fast forwarding to it.

sigpic

Comment

*locks both of them in a room together and tells them sternly to "sort it out!"*

Ah if only!
                      **remembers to make certain video cameras in said room work and that the live feed is being captured digitally.**

**Watch video**

**Rewind**

**Watch video**

**Rewind**

**Watch video**
                      sigpic
                      My Stories AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
                        Yes, I agree with Jenn and Seahen about why she was better suited in the babble position that the in charge one but, I also think that's a valid point and they could have written around the whole thing better at times.

On the first part of your post, there's fillers in every season so you have to expect a certain amount of it. There was rather more earth based ones in S8 which frustrated. Thank heavens SG-1 was more great stories than filler for the most part.

On Affinity though, I'd hesitate to describe that as filler. Ok, yes, the "A" plot was very meh and I could live without Krista's character (and oh so cliched abusive boyfriend story) just fine but, beyond that there's huge character development for Teal'c. He tries to move into a place on Earth outside the base and finds that, even after all this time, there's a bit of him that just can't fit in to normal life here.
                        And then there's Sam, who gets proposed to, out the blue by the looks of it (were there ever two people on completely different pages in their relationship as her and Pete at that point). Then she agonises over whether she's ever likely to get a better offer than that, has one last ditch attempt to try and find out whether Jack is prepared to step up to the plate, finds him frustratingly obtuse and, in a moment of what can only be described as madness (don't even start me on how OOC that was her saying "yes" there under those circumstances) agrees to marry Pete.

That is huge character development.

And then there's that scene with Jack in her lab. I love that scene. It's just so angsty and telling. Here she is, basically saying "Give me some sign, some hint that you still feel that way about me. Anything, no matter how small. Then I'll know not to settle for 'good enough'".
                        And Jack, bless him, just loves her so damn much he's prepared to let her go and be happy because he thinks that's what she wants. She asks him in about as direct a way as she can under the circumstances, to tell her he still loves her and he gives her that non answer knowing exactly what she was asking and exactly how she'd interpret it.

Talk about both on the wrong wavelength.

*smacks Jack upside the head*

*thinks for a moment....*

*smacks Sam upside the head for saying "yes" to Pete"

*thinks again..."*

Ah if only!

I realise a lot of people here can't stand Affinity and there's a lot to dislike about it but that scene in her lab is just priceless and makes it worth sitting through the rest, Or at least fast forwarding to it.

I can take angst as much as the next woman, but that scene, even thinking about it makes me want to cry. It is just so heartbreaking to see how much they love each other, and how the whole scene is soooo painful for both of them to go through. It is just etched in their eyes. *great acting!*

*thinks someone should write a fic about Cags' scene in the closet to "sort things out".*
                        sigpic
                        Thank you Astra Per Aspera for the sig....... My Fan Fiction

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                          **remembers to make certain video cameras in said room work and that the live feed is being captured digitally.**

**Watch video**

**Rewind**

**Watch video**

**Rewind**

**Watch video**

I like Affinity, I do mostly enjoy the B story but the scene in the lab is my favorite part
                          sigpic
                          Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

Originally posted by gater62 View Post
                            I can take angst as much as the next woman, but that scene, even thinking about it makes me want to cry. It is just so heartbreaking to see how much they love each other, and how the whole scene is soooo painful for both of them to go through. It is just etched in their eyes. *great acting!*

Ah you see I adore angst. I lurk right at the back of that deep dark cavern. To me the greater the angst the sweeter the happy ending they get becomes. I love that.

*thinks someone should write a fic about Cags' scene in the closet to "sort things out".*

Fly, plot bunny, fly!

I would but it would be crack!fic and probably turn too guttery for this forum.
                            sigpic

Comment

SGU
                              Spoiler:
                              less than two hours till the season finale

Comment

Fly, plot bunny, fly!

I would but it would be crack!fic and probably turn too guttery for this forum.
                                Then Cags, Fly, plotbunny, Fly!

**settles in to wait. . . **
                                sigpic
                                My Stories AO3

Comment

Working...
                                X