No announcement yet.

Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i wondering, though, *because* of pete being one of mark's friends, and sams dumped him, 'and', b/c mark's not too fond of the military...

(edit: i could have sworn i posted this 'before' everyone brought up pete... )
    Last edited by majorsal; 08 April 2010, 03:41 PM.
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
      i wondering, though, *because* of pete being one of mark's friends, and sams dumped him, 'and', b/c mark's not too fond of the military...
      I think that while Mark isn't too fond of the military he's made some peace with it since he's on speaking terms with Jacob and then he does try to fix up Sam. Mark is more passive - choosing to avoid rather than confront.

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
        Oh sorry, what I meant by association was, that they went to college together or had worked together somwhere along the lines. i.e. they'd been in a situation that's fairly close or, at least, close enough to know a decent amount of each other's background or a long enough time ago to know the history but that they are not necessarily that close now. Mark lives, hmm, San Diego if I recall, and Pete's based in Denver so I can't see it. If Pete had been Mark's best friend then Sam probably would have said He's my brother's best friend" as opposed to "friend of my brother's" and that might be slightly different, but since men have somewhat different views on friendship than women, I doubt Mark and Pete had more than a general friendship than a particularly special one. Ergo, I don't think Mark woudl have been all that precious about them breaking up from Pete's point of view. If anything I think his concerns would have been more towards Sam's feelings about it and, as I say, once he came to see her and Jack together I think that would have made sense.
        Yeah, that makes sense if they were college buddies or former co-workers or something in their younger days. It would have to be something where they would be fairly close at one point for Pete to give out that information. Even though Pete seems like a chatty type, I don't think he'd just blurt out the story of why he became a cop to a casual acquaintance.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
          But for ship action, I think that you have to appreciate the characters rather than the actors, because generally, the actors aren't involved in the ship--it's just the characters. So it's an interesting dichotomy. You get attached to the actor because of the character, and the ship because of the character--but ultimately, the ship happens (ha ha) because of the writers. So shouldn't we thunk the writers?
          lol....had to laugh at the bolded, cause its kinda true. Although the actors bring the characters to life and the characters are what we love, its all cause of what the writers have conceived.

But ultimately w/o the actors, it just wouldn't come together, and therefore actor thunking as totally appropriate, especially cause I honestly think that even if the writers come up with a great ship, without actors that work well together and have some kind of connection outside of the characters, the ship would ultimately fail for the fans. Thats why S/J works so well, cause the ship works so well on paper and for real btw RDA and Amanda

throwing out another debatable idea...

do you think mark, sam's brother, approves of jack?

this one might be a tougher challenge than mom.

~waits for stirring conversations to read~
          I do think so... see below.

Originally posted by JackandSamAddict View Post
          Ohh...this is a tough one. I think that he would. Especially after he saw how happy Sam is with Jack. He would see how much Jack loves Sam and I think he would be okay with the idea of the two of them.

I think this is tougher than mom. Usually big brothers are protective of their younger sisters.
          I pretty much think all of the above also, but I don't think Jack would trigger any brothers protective instinct b/c he is such a protective and caring man to start with. I think most guys get a pretty good feel for one another quickly, and any brother would see that Jack is the kind of guy that could take care of his sister, and would love her, even if she would hate to be "taken care of"!
          sigpic Gets better with age!

Conventions:
          Creation Vancouver SG Con 2009 - 2010 - 2011 - 2012
          GateCon Vancouver 2011
          Creation Chicago SG Con 2013 - 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post
            I think that while Mark isn't too fond of the military he's made some peace with it since he's on speaking terms with Jacob and then he does try to fix up Sam. Mark is more passive - choosing to avoid rather than confront.
            i'd love to see mark's face when sam introduced her boyfriend (JACK! ) to him.
            sally

sigpic

Comment

i'd love to see mark's face when sam introduced her boyfriend (JACK! ) to him.
              hey, anyone can warm up to Jack...given enough time!

I'd love to see Mark's face if Sam or Jacob ever introduced him to Selmak! There goes the happy Carter family reunion down the drain!
              sigpic

Comment

Is Mark a cop? I'm confused.

I know it doesn't take a lot...
                I don't know--I've always assumed he was--that he and Pete worked together in some police capacity--but I'm probably wrong. I'm not certain it's ever been said. And I have always also assumed that he was older. This is largely based on the fact that he was disillusioned by the military after Sam's mother died--and Sam was--14? And so if you give them two years between kids, that would have made him 12, and my experience with 12 year old boys (having three older brothers of my own and a son who is almost 12) is that he would have grown closer to his father after her death rather than distanced himself from his dad at that age. An older brother with more father/son angst (say, 16?) would have reacted the opposite way, because he's past that stage when young boys are enthralled with their fathers. So, he would have taken his mother's death harder--and been emotionally equipped to blame rather than seek comfort.

That's my take on the thing.

As for the cop thing--I truly have always thought that Mark was a police officer--even before the Pete thing--and they could have met anywhere, but we know that Mark was in San Diego in season 1--and Pete theoretically could have moved to Denver after his divorce, to get away from his ex-wife. Many men have done it--hence the song, "All My Exes Live in Texas". . .Ha ha.

But I don't know that Mark was a cop for sure. . .he might be a shoe salesman, for all I know!
                sigpic
                My Stories: FFdotNet
                My Stories AO3
                Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                  I don't know--I've always assumed he was--that he and Pete worked together in some police capacity--but I'm probably wrong. I'm not certain it's ever been said.
                  It was never stated that I can remember what line of work Mark was in. I always assumed (for some reason - fanon, probably) that he was an accountant or in some other administrative line of work, and that he and Pete met in college and had been friends for a long time (again, probably fanon).

Gen Varel wrote a lovely little story (because I asked her to write it) about how Jacob felt about Sam after finding out what she'd really been involved in with the Air Force.

There's a fanfic out there where when Mark finds out what Sam does and after having a bit of time to adjust to the knowledge, starts calling her his "sister, the space ranger" or something similarly cute.

Comment

sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

Concluding, for real this time, my favorite Sam/Jack moments...

I'm ending this with season 8 because there's nothing in 9 or 10 other than The Shroud.

SEASON 8

New Order
                      On Thor's ship: Jack's reaction to seeing Sam's image on the screen.

Zero Hour
                      At the beginning in the briefing room, their restrained argument in front of "the kids" and the followup convo between Sam, Daniel and Teal'c.

Icon
                      Nothing here because Jack is being a complete JERK to Sam the entire time.

Affinity
                      The first part of the ring scene.

Sacrifices
                      When they are walking through the corridors and Jack gets distracted by some Jaffa women and Sam turns him around.

Gemini
                      At the beginning when the alarm sounds and Sam heads to the control room. Jack is descending the stairs and they walk together over to Walter... Awwww. Then when the text message comes through and Sam says they should check it out, Jack doesn't hesitate to order Walter to prepare a MALP... Double-Awwww! Then when they send the MALP through and Jack leans down real close to Sam and they do that little looky-looky dance... Squeee!

It's Good to be King
                      Harry!! and wearing a codpiece RRRRROWLLLL!

Ahem! Sorry. I'll try to control myself.

When Jack walks into the Ancient ship for the first time, he and Sam look at each other for a couple of seconds. Okay, maybe it's just one second but it feels like a long time.
                      I love how relaxed they are when talking to each other. Then when he's trying to start the ship, she's leaning mighty close to him.

After the villagers surprise Jack, Sam and Daniel and everybody agrees to lower their weapons, Jack exclaims, "God I miss goin' offworld!" and the camera cuts to Sam. Her expression and eye movements makes me think she misses him too. I'm sure my little hopelessly romantic heart is making me read more into it, but why else would they do the cut to Sam?

Full Alert
                      During the briefing after Kinsey disappears, Sam says she can write a program that might help detect the cloak and Jack jokes, "I was just going to suggest that." Sam smiles (since the shot doesn't change we can only see her cheek raise) then Jack smiles.

After they find out Kinsey has been goa'ulded, Chekov and Jack:
                      How could Kinsey have become a Goa'uld?
                      Five bucks says Carter has a theory.
                      As a matter of fact, I do.
                      Huh? (smacks Chekov in the chest)
                      Blah, blah, blah... Sam talks, Chekov talks, Jack talks. When they're all done talking, Jack is frustrated and he looks at Sam. She raises her eyebrows and oooooh, I think she almost smiles.

Citizen Joe
                      After they realize that Jack would have been seeing parts of Joe's life and he says he's sure he mentioned it, he looks to Sam. She says he didn't and they keep looking at each other for a bit. After he explains that he found it to be relaxing, Sam seems to be pleased with the idea.

Reckoning, Part 1
                      Sam goes to Jack in his office, still concerned that Daniel being taken is her fault. Jack tries to allay her guilt but is cut short when Thor beams her away. Later, when Thor beams her back, she's mid-run and almost topples onto Jack's desk. Darn it! Why couldn't Jack have been standing in front of the desk? She'd have run right into his arms!!

Reckoning, Part 2
                      I'm still torn up by the ending. They have this really nice conversation and a cute happy moment after Sam mentions Thor but then she brings up Daniel and BAM! Jack turns into Mr. Grouchy Pants Cranky. She leaves, confused and, I think, hurt. Jack looks after her and looks... Regretful? Apologetic? Despondent? Something, but I can't figure it out.

Threads
                      Well, the first scene with Sam and Jack is pretty much a continuation of the last one in Reckoning and it leaves me feeling the same way.

Anyway, my favorite is the briefing where Sam gets the phone call. The way it starts out, Sam and Jack are pretty annoyed with each other during the talk about the weapon. The phone call only makes it worse and Jacob is all too eager to throw jet fuel onto the embers that are burning inside these two.

Another scene I like a lot is when Jack orders the self-destruct and Sam starts to argue the logic of it but Jack cuts her off by yelling then immediately corrects. so there is hope for mr. cranky after all!

Moebius
                      When Sam and Daniel go to get Jack to join the program and Daniel introduces himself and Sam, Jack looks to Sam then back to Daniel and looks him up and down then asks, "You two a couple?" I have no idea why I find that so hilarious but I do.

My favorite is when Jack says he thinks she's hot, causing her to choke and get all flustered then panic and say she likes Daniel which utterly confuses Jack so he leaves her alone. She goes back to work, looking a bit perplexed. This scene is a super-condensed version of the previous eight years of Sam and Jack!
                      Last edited by UhSir; 09 April 2010, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Hi,
                        can anyone tell me if there is video out there of a con where AT surprised RDA at a con, and they hugged for like ever, and then kissed. RDA's daughter was there as well. I've seen the pics but not sure if there is vid out there...and what con was that?

http://sanctuary-caps.com/index.php
                        Check out my fanfichttp://www.fanfiction.net/u/1763762/staceydj

Comment

Originally posted by staceyde View Post
                          Hi,
                          can anyone tell me if there is video out there of a con where AT surprised RDA at a con, and they hugged for like ever, and then kissed. RDA's daughter was there as well. I've seen the pics but not sure if there is vid out there...and what con was that?
                          It was at Gatecon, summer of 2008 in Vancouver. RDA was onstage by himself and Amanda surprised him by coming out onstage behind him. I don't recall what she said, but he was quite surprised and delighted to see her there. They shared a huge hug and a big kiss, and then AT spent quite awhile with him onstage. There was some kind of memorial to Don S. Davis at this event, and during the memorial, RDA's daughter came up on stage and stood by her Dad, with AT on his other side while they listened to the memorial. I'm sure somebody else can describe the whole thing better than I just did. But that's the event you're referring to.

There was also supposed to be a DVD of the event that people could buy, but I'm not sure it ever got out for sale, since it had to go through RDA for his approval, and I'm not sure he ever gave his approval. (Again, maybe somebody else will know more about this.)
                          Last edited by hedwig; 08 April 2010, 08:11 PM. Reason: to correct date of event

Comment

Originally posted by m_wendy_r View Post
                            Is Mark a cop? I'm confused.

I know it doesn't take a lot...

And I don't think Mark would readily approve of Jack. But on the other hand, I don't think Sam would ask for it. I think, perhaps, her brother would need time to see it work out before he even went there. Brother's are very odd creatures.

Originally posted by KayLyne View Post
                            hey, anyone can warm up to Jack...given enough time!

I'd love to see Mark's face if Sam or Jacob ever introduced him to Selmak! There goes the happy Carter family reunion down the drain!
                            - oddly enough I think I read a story where that happened once....and it was cuz Selmak was mates with another symbiote whose new host was a lady who was barely legal....the story was a bit creepy in that regard.....that kind of relationship just sent off very bad incest-type vibes......

I can't remember the name of the story now though

Originally posted by aske
                            *momentarily de-lurking*

Definitely!

I've met RDA (as have several here) and I found him very appealing but all I wanted to do was hug him. Of course while we waiting for ... I can't remember .... we were in kinda of half hug, but embarrassingly enough he really reminded me of my dad (who's only about 10 years older than RDA). He felt like my dad, same height as my dad and I got really home sick all of a sudden because I hadn't seen my dad in years. RDA thought I was gonna pass out, because I turned white and almost started crying. I was gonna tell him he reminded me of my dad, but we were interrupted. *sigh* It was a nice moment though.

I agree on the character aspect. Having met several actors over the years, I've realized I'm attracted to the characters and not the actors. With the exception of House. He's just so angry that I get turned off by his character.

AT is one of the few actresses I've met that I felt a genuine fondness for both the characters she plays and she as a person. There aren't to many out there like her.

*back to the lurking in shadows*
                            I concur....

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                              It was last summer (summer of 2009) in Vancouver? RDA was onstage by himself and Amanda surprised him by coming out onstage behind him. I don't recall what she said, but he was quite surprised and delighted to see her there. They shared a huge hug and a big kiss, and then AT spent quite awhile with him onstage. There was some kind of memorial to Don S. Davis at this event, and during the memorial, RDA's daughter came up on stage and stood by her Dad, with AT on his other side while they listened to the memorial. I'm sure somebody else can describe the whole thing better than I just did. But that's the event you're referring to.

There was also supposed to be a DVD of the event that people could buy, but I'm not sure it ever got out for sale, since it had to go through RDA for his approval, and I'm not sure he ever gave his approval. (Again, maybe somebody else will know more about this.)
                              im sure it was a good convention anybody got any photos of this?

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
                                Treknik, I love your sig. It reminds me of that twenty-year-old pic of the two of them together. I think they were wearing baseball uniforms- if you haven't seen it, those ladies on the RDA thunk thread have it up all the time.
                                VSS! How are you doing? Thank you and yes I know what pic you are talking about. The one where they both have moustaches. The ol' Dodgers pic.
                                Attached Files
                                sigpic
                                I used to trek amongst the stars, now I gate to them

Comment

Working...
                                X