Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
    I'm happy she does now, but in the early years of Stargate, she was quite against their being a romantic relationship between Sam and Jack. Somewhere along the way, she changed her mind, and is now all for it.
    Originally posted by m_wendy_r View Post
    I think because in the early years, it wasn't possible for them to be together without breaking regulations and ruining the integrity of the character(s). I agree with that. Now it's possible for them to be together, and that problem no longer exists.
    exactly!

sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
      And did we all catch the words to the song that he's humming when he comes out of the forest to her? It's something like, "Tell me she loves me." You have to really listen to it, but it's there. **happy, shippy sigh**

Umm, yes, you do realise what the rest of the lyrics of that song are don't you?

Spoiler:

Well I'm not sure this is entirely PG but I don't know any other way of linking to this without direct linking (aand even the title is kind of naughty) so I've spoilered the link and will just warn younguns that there's some extremely suggestive, er, stuff, here and pleasedon'tclick if you're of a sensitive disposition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxVKtNkQAtw

Wendy, thanks for sharing that lovely interview. Amanda has sucha wonderful vibrance about her, doesn't she?

*takes a moment to fangurl AT*

*ahem* but on the whole discussion about the ship, without actually hearing the question or the context in which the question is asked, it's hard to judge it as anything other than a rhetorical one along the lines of "if Sam and Jack had been stuck together on a ship like the Destiny, would they have ended up doing the wild thing" So the answer is completely hypothetical and bears no actual reflection on where their relationship is now.

And as for AT's reticence about a relationship with Jack early on; I understand why, as an actress, she would not have wanted that for her character. If there'd been more ship, more suggestion or even something that did happen beteween them during the run of the series then it would have shifted the focus from a team adventure to thevery thing that the antis etc. all throw about as a reason why it shouldn't happen (i.e. turn it into the Sam & Jack show). And it would have demeaned her character - or at least I feel it would have.
      I don't think AT denounced the ship or was anti it - I think she always acknowledged in interviews that there was something between them - I just think she also acknowledged that them getting together wasn't something that was possible or was in the best interests of the charcaters/series at the time. The situation has changed and thus, more recently, her thoughts (in interviews) have been much more open/accepting that it could or has happened.
      And anyway, so what if she has changed her tune. People are entitled to change their minds about things. I just think it's lovely that of late alll the comments we are getting from TPTB and the actors etc. are largely pro-ship. That's something to be happy for.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
        And anyway, so what if she has changed her tune. People are entitled to change their minds about things. I just think it's lovely that of late alll the comments we are getting from TPTB and the actors etc. are largely pro-ship. That's something to be happy for.

yes, that's GOT to bode well for our much-hoped-for s/j confirmation!!
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Umm, yes, you do realise what the rest of the lyrics of that song are don't you?
          I had absolutely no idea, but I laughed all the way through the video even though I should have been appalled. But hey--once a Monty Python lover, always a Monty Python lover.

So, what does do my shippy sighs? Is his singing still ship-worthy or just guttery? And are they the same thing? HMMMM....

And speaking of random Stargate songs:

Spoiler:
          In "It's good to be King", the minstrels play a song when Jack is coming through the 'Gate to meet Maybourne. Is that a real song, and has anyone worked out what song it is? I've been wracking my brain, and can't figure it out. . .Anyone? Anyone?
          sigpic
          My Stories: FFdotNet
          My Stories AO3
          Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Cags - I'm so distracted by your hot RDA sig I can't focus on whatever it was you were saying. :: thunk ::

And y'know what, S/J are so married. I'm hungry and lacking coherent thought. Also - drooling.

Comment

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post
              Cags - I'm so distracted by your hot RDA sig I can't focus on whatever it was you were saying. :: thunk ::

And y'know what, S/J are so married. I'm hungry and lacking coherent thought. Also - drooling.
              Thanks. I can't take credit for that one. Most of my sigs were awesome birthday presents from awesome GWers. The tied up and ready for Cags one still makes me giggle every time it comes up. If only!

(EDIT; and as if on cue, there it is. )

Oh see now I am going to go to bed with that Mondy Python song in my head.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by m_wendy_r View Post
                I think because in the early years, it wasn't possible for them to be together without breaking regulations and ruining the integrity of the character(s). I agree with that. Now it's possible for them to be together, and that problem no longer exists.
                Just peeking in here to add to this bit to the discussion, here's what a fan reported from AT4 re AT's thoughts on ship:
                22. When did her opinion on Sam and Jack being together change?
                As long as Carter was in his direct chain of command any kind of romantic relationship was not possible, the rules are there for a good reason. But now when she’s no longer in his direct chain of command she sees no problem with it.
                http://photoshopaddict.livejournal.com/16255.html

sigpic

Comment

I think my PengYn's con report, here (but it's friends only) is more thorough at that part:

Q: You seem to be more open about the possibilities of Sam and Jack being together now. What has influenced your decision? If you think back to the early seasons where you were very vocal about Sam and the feminist angle and compare it to an episode like Grace where Sam seemed to be defined by a man and a child. Was that problematic for you?
                  AT: Actually, no. Sam had an interesting evolution. She buried herself in being a scientist and being a soldier, and it took seven seasons to realize that she wanted more. She couldn't be with Jack then, but there is nothing stopping them from being together now. Why I believe it is because they are no longer in the same chain of command. Sam commands the Hammond and doesn't answer directly to Jack. Jack in turn, doesn't give her direct orders. So the issue of the regs no longer applies, and they are free to be with each other. I also think bringing it back to the issue of feminism and how they wrote Sam in season one, that women have so much strength and it is not about rallying war cries with feminist arguments. We have more to give than that.
                  I just adore that quote. Someone else (Annalies I believe) that AT stated she believes they've been together since she went out of the same chain of command, which was even before Sam went to Atlantis.

EDIT: Of course, I actually adore that quote because it matches so well with what I've always thought about Sam myself in her views of herself as scientist and soldier

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
                    I think my PengYn's con report, here (but it's friends only) is more thorough at that part:

Q: You seem to be more open about the possibilities of Sam and Jack being together now. What has influenced your decision? If you think back to the early seasons where you were very vocal about Sam and the feminist angle and compare it to an episode like Grace where Sam seemed to be defined by a man and a child. Was that problematic for you?
                    AT: Actually, no. Sam had an interesting evolution. She buried herself in being a scientist and being a soldier, and it took seven seasons to realize that she wanted more. She couldn't be with Jack then, but there is nothing stopping them from being together now. Why I believe it is because they are no longer in the same chain of command. Sam commands the Hammond and doesn't answer directly to Jack. Jack in turn, doesn't give her direct orders. So the issue of the regs no longer applies, and they are free to be with each other. I also think bringing it back to the issue of feminism and how they wrote Sam in season one, that women have so much strength and it is not about rallying war cries with feminist arguments. We have more to give than that.
                    I just adore that quote. Someone else (Annalies I believe) that AT stated she believes they've been together since she went out of the same chain of command, which was even before Sam went to Atlantis.

EDIT: Of course, I actually adore that quote because it matches so well with what I've always thought about Sam myself in her views of herself as scientist and soldier
                    Wow. This is a fantastic quote from AT. I totally agree with her, both on her understanding of the S/J relationship and, most especially, on the part I've bolded about women in general.

Here, here, AT!

Comment

Hmm...now this is interesting. The auction listing description of Sam's engagement ring from . I wonder who wrote the blurb? Hmm?

Production description: Engagement ring worn by actress Amanda Tapping as Samantha Carter, worn often from the SG-1 Season Eight episodes "Affinity" to "Threads". Sam's engagement to Denver Colorado police officer Pete Shanahan brought a brief period of happiness to her life, until she faced the fact that her heart belonged to someone else. {emphasis added by me}

Someone posted the link on Mala's thread, I'm just sharing the good bits here. <g>
                      Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
                        Hmm...now this is interesting. The auction listing description of Sam's engagement ring from . I wonder who wrote the blurb? Hmm?

Production description: Engagement ring worn by actress Amanda Tapping as Samantha Carter, worn often from the SG-1 Season Eight episodes "Affinity" to "Threads". Sam's engagement to Denver Colorado police officer Pete Shanahan brought a brief period of happiness to her life, until she faced the fact that her heart belonged to someone else. {emphasis added by me}

Someone posted the link on Mala's thread, I'm just sharing the good bits here. <g>
                        ohmygoodness *very happy shipper squee*
                        sigpic
                        thanks sg4ever for the awesome icon!!! (dont steal it!!!) My FanFic

Comment

POL - Love it - is there a link directly to it? I wouldn't mind seeing it up close.

Comment

After a over her engagement ring being up for auction. I ended up doing this

sigpic
                            Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

I *really* think that is the predominant (non anti-) general viewer opinion of what happened in Threads. It's the Occam's Razor interpretation, IMHO - the most obvious and simplest and most likely. You have to really twist the interpretation I think to make it mean something else. And remember, I wasn't a shipper AT ALL when I first saw Threads and that's what I saw

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post

i'm saving this!!

sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X