Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
    I wonder why there is such a distinct popular notion that it can NEVER happen. Have they never WATCHED the show? Especially the end of season 8. Really--what else is there to conclude but that they end up together? It's not impossible--and with their reassignments, it's not even that far fetched a notion!!!!! And when I was lurking on an anti-thread, they were making this huge deal about RDA saying recently that their relationship is not plausible--when he actually says in one of the commentaries that it is! (I'll find the source on that one.) I just don't understand the level of malevolence that people have for this particular ship.
    From my personal experience, the antis fall into one of the 3 following categories:

1. Jack/Daniel slashers - S/J ship ruins their slash OTP, so no wonder they oppose it
    2. team fans - fans who firmly believe that any kind of ship (or slash) detracts from team dynamics and therefore don't want to see it, at least not among the main characters. To be fair, they aren't opposed to S/J exclusively, but also to J/D, D/V etc.
    3. the most avid Daniel fans - they believe S/J ship takes away screentime and focus on Daniel.

I know we aren't supposed to discuss other fans, but they don't exactly hide their preferences.. and I have yet to meet anti-S/J fan who doesn't belong to one of these categories.

On a different note, I'll be very interested in knowing in which commentary RDA approved of the S/J ship. I know he did, I distinctly remember reading transcript of such comment but I don't remember what exactly did he say nor where did I read it.

All it would take is one word from TPTB--and a big honking kiss--to put to rest all these notions.

Is that too much to ask?
    The thing is, TPTB know that UST keeps the audience coming back. They ascribe to "always leave them wanting" policy..unfortunately they haven't figured out yet that every UST reaches a point where it has to be resolved or else it becomes ridiculous. That point for S/J was in Threads/Moebius..

I also believe that due to the fact that the antis are quite vocal TPTB think they make up a large part of fanbase and don't want to alienate them..so they continue to maintain the status quo.
    There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
    sigpic
    awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Okay fanfic writers and readers--I have a slightly OT question:

Spoiler:
      Are the readers on Heliopolis the same as the people who read fanfiction.net? It's been suggested that I post on both sites, but isn't that kind of redundant? Are there really people who don't read both? I'm already posting on two sites, and kind of think that's enough--but I didn't know if it was necessary to really pimp it out everywhere. Feel free to PM me responses, or OT it--I would have put this in the fanfic threads, but didn't find one that a) was very active and b) had people that I recognized. I trust your opinions. Thanks!!
      sigpic
      My Stories: FFdotNet
      My Stories AO3
      Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
        Hey! I remembered my question!

I've read a pile o' fics lately where Sam keeps the name "Carter" after she and Jack are married. I happen to think she'd go with O'Neill because it is HIS name and in a small corner of her mind she's imagined it for years. I know, I'm gonna lose my feminist card, but she's wanted the dream of "normal" for so long...

Now would be a great time to post my Continuum manip but I'm on my iPhone in bed, so...just imagine Sam grinning down from the cockpit and the lettering on both the plane and her name tape say "Sam "Carter" O'Neill."

thoughts?
        I've always thought she'd keep it professionally because she's published and because Jack says it with "that" voice - you know the one when they go fishing... yeah... so not a feminist reasoning (I don't consider myself a feminist).

Okay fanfic writers and readers--I have a slightly OT question:

Spoiler:
        Are the readers on Heliopolis the same as the people who read fanfiction.net? It's been suggested that I post on both sites, but isn't that kind of redundant? Are there really people who don't read both? I'm already posting on two sites, and kind of think that's enough--but I didn't know if it was necessary to really pimp it out everywhere. Feel free to PM me responses, or OT it--I would have put this in the fanfic threads, but didn't find one that a) was very active and b) had people that I recognized. I trust your opinions. Thanks!!
        Story Posting OT
        Spoiler:
        I post on sjalwaysandforever, LJ, and fanfic.net. My philosophy is if I'm not catching you at one of these three places, then I don't care because it's already a pain if I have to make a correction.

Comment

Everyone is entitled to their own interpretation. Some people see ship; some don't.

*shrugs*

I tend to be with Teal'c: my reality is the only one of consequence

Fic Rec:
          Unlahfulliche in Lyhte by Pepper
          Rated R/Adult so the link is to her livejournal.

And finally:
          Aftershocks vol III is complete! I have finally finished Season 6.
          TAG to Full Circle:
          The Descending Trilogy

It is Daniel heavy but there is at least one cute Sam/Jack moment in there.

Fanfic/archives OT

Spoiler:

I think where and how you archive is really up to you. Personally I use FF.net as my main archive and LJ as a back-up as both cover where the fanfic authors I generally read hang out and I wanted two places in case one went belly-up (I used to be a project manager, risk mitigation is my middle name).

I do have people on LJ who wouldn't necessarily leave me feedback on FF.net but who do on LJ. And vice versa.

I think archiving everywhere (there's heliopolis, samandjack.net, LJ, OTW, Dreamwidth, sjalways, etc) is far too much work regardless that each probably would bring my stuff to the attention of a few new readers (although I would guess there is a LOT of crossover). I thought I might upload my one-shots to samandjack at one point but simply ran out of time and energy, and for the sake of having a second back-up location and possibly one or two more readers, it just wasn't worth the return of investment.

So I think how many archives you choose to update to and with what is very much a personal decision on how much time and energy you have versus the reward you think you'll gain (ie new readers/additional reviews/safety of stories on web).

Just my own take on it.

sigpic
          Women of the Gate LJ Community.
          My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

I've always thought she'd keep it professionally because she's published and because Jack says it with "that" voice - you know the one when they go fishing... yeah... so not a feminist reasoning (I don't consider myself a feminist).
            I've never considered myself a feminist in the modern sense of the word, but I do believe that women are inherently equal, and in some ways superior to men.

Seriously, I think that her taking his name in their personal life would mean more to her than it might to people who didn't have to go through what she'd gone through to get that last name. Clear as mud? I think that having his last name in her professional life would be telegraphing things a little too much--and also, since I believe that they got married after Threads (i see no reason for them to have waited all that long. . . ), there is canon to suggest that she kept "Carter" for her work life--i.e. seasons 9, 10, and her work on Atlantis and Universe. But that's just what I believe about it.
            sigpic
            My Stories AO3

Comment

I've never considered myself a feminist in the modern sense of the word, but I do believe that women are inherently equal, and in some ways superior to men.

Seriously, I think that her taking his name in their personal life would mean more to her than it might to people who didn't have to go through what she'd gone through to get that last name. Clear as mud? I think that having his last name in her professional life would be telegraphing things a little too much--and also, since I believe that they got married after Threads (i see no reason for them to have waited all that long. . . ), there is canon to suggest that she kept "Carter" for her work life--i.e. seasons 9, 10, and her work on Atlantis and Universe. But that's just what I believe about it.
              to start jumping back in as my cold is clearing up...
              I agree with you i think taking jacks name would be a huge step for Sam, especially since she has gone through what she has to be Carter, and that taking his name in the professional setting would just be way to putting things out there so to speak. which is why i do not really see her changing her name to O'Neill. I personally am the say way about my last name (that im anywhere close to being married ) but my last name is such a part of who i am today, its a part of my identity that i dont think i could let go bc i have always been that, and i think Carter is a part of who Sam is. to me its a dynamic of their relationship as well, at work they are O'Neill (sir...or as universe showed us, not sir ) and Carter and at home their Sam...occasionally Samantha...and Jack. And, as you pointed out, there is canon to suggest that she did keep her name post marriage
              sigpic
              thanks sg4ever for the awesome icon!!! (dont steal it!!!) My FanFic

Comment

Lovely shippy goodness rec: Every Other Day.

I liked it.

Archiving:
                Spoiler:
                I'm only on ff.net. I have a difficult time following/finding fic on LJ so I steer clear. I read at Helio 1 and 2 (regular and adult), but have never archived there. I also read at SJA, but don't archive there either - for both sites it's simply a matter of time. I do have a few things posted on Amanda's (Tapping's) site that are Sam-centric (but you've read them at my ff.net page), and that was just an experiment.

I've been trying for ages to figure out how to get my stuff on the ff.net community Carterfic, but have had no luck. I'm not really trying to promote my fic, though. I post announcements here for those who are not on "alerting" to my stuff, but mainly I post fanfic for me. Like many of us, I write what I want to read. :::shrug:::

Just 'cause I couldn't post it last night when I wanted to...

RE: name change for Sam. Since this is about me, it's OT:
                Spoiler:
                Back in "the day" when I was in service (USAF) when you got married the woman's name changed on paperwork. I wasn't married at the time and don't know if they asked, but when two of my colleagues married other service members they did the name change thing. They, of course, were not serving in the same CoC. But, the aforementioned "Majors Michaels" were in the same unit (have no idea how that came about, but they were). And it was funny how someone would ask for "Major Michaels" (or later Lt.Col and/or Colonel) and we'd always respond with, "Which one?"

The romantic in me says that Sam would eagerly become Colonel O'Neill. The practical feminist in me says she'd remain Colonel Carter and be Dr. O'Neill professionally and Mrs. O'Neill personally.

Like Sharon said, my partner and colleagues use "Dr." professionally (on papers, etc...) but in person are referred to by first name (save for undergraduates...they use degree designations at our U.)

Actually, I think Amanda herself addressed something similar once (or at least I remember reading about her saying something along these lines): She uses "Amanda Tapping" professionally. She uses "Amanda <insert married last name which escapes me here>" personally.

Now...having said all that, the romantic part of me tends to win in arm-wrestling events, so I'm going to go with Sam changing her name tapes over to O'Neill. In fact, I think that'd make an awesome little ficlet.

Or even better...perhaps this is a steno (still am unclear about what those are)/plot bunny idea...write a little drabble/fic/ficlet about Sam changing (or not) her name.

In fact:
                Sam rifled through the papers she'd pulled from her inbox, absently reading them as she made her way down the hall. As she finished skimming each one she tucked it under her chin and read the page that followed. Halfway through the page she froze, stopping so suddenly that the Sergeant behind her let out a yelp of surprise. Sam looked up to see him twisting awkwardly to avoid running into her.

"Sorry, Sergeant," she muttered as she spun and strode back down the hall. Taking the steps to the control room two at a time, Sam dropped the forms onto the desk.

"Walter?"

"Colonel?" Harriman looked at her in surprise.

Sam glanced from the Chief to the papers she'd dropped onto his desk. "What's with the form?"

"I- I- uh, well, I assumed you'd want to keep your na– The Chief stammered out his answer, clearly taken aback by Sam's direct questioning. He hastily stood and slipped the paper free of the pile. "I apologize, Colonel. I will correct the form and get it back to you ASAP."

Sam nodded, then softened her expression. "Yes, thank you. I'm sorry, Walter, I just wasn't expecting that form and was…well, anyway. Sorry. Grab me whenever you have the other one ready to sign and I'll take care of it." She turned away and then stopped. Turning back, she dropped a hand to the Chief's shoulder. "I've filled out what I need to update my SGLI and vRED information, including the items listed in AFI36-3010, and Form 93." She sighed and ran a hand through her hair. She leaned against the countertop and slipped her hands into her pockets, unaware that she was presenting those in the control room with a classic "O'Neill" pose.

Walter Harriman smiled up at her, his blue eyes bright with good humor and understanding. "Yes, Ma'am. I got those forms yesterday. I still need this," and he indicated the form that had brought her to him, "and I'll have to pull the MFP-PR."

"MFP…?"

Walter pulled his dog tags out from under his t-shirt and smiled. Sam looked down and pulled her own out, fingering the simple gold band that shared the chain with the worn tags.

"Gotcha." She sighed again and then pushed herself up. Gathering up the remaining mail and paperwork that had crowded her inbox, she nodded her thanks to the Chief and left the room. It seemed it took more paperwork to become an "O'Neill" in the United States Air Force than it did to move a team from one planet to another.

Personally, she didn't care if it took an entire tree of paperwork. She'd waited a long, long time to become an O'Neill and she still got a secret little thrill every time she wrote it down. As she walked toward her lab she glanced down again at the name tape she'd attached just last week to her uniform. Yup, she was an O'Neill now, and proud of it.

---

Now...after having researched this (because I cannot write without first checking my facts) it appears that Sam would have no choice. Once she completes Form 93 (found in AFI31-501 I think - officially changing her "status,") she becomes, as far as the USAF/DoD is concerned, an O'Neill. If someone can find otherwise, I'd love to read that Instruction (which is what the regs are called, AFI means "Air Force Instruction").

Edited to add that I think Sam will always be "Carter" to Jack, at least in the casual sense. As in, "Welcome home, Carter" when she comes home on the Hammond. Lovingly she'd also be "Samantha," but that's something for another post.
                Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

Hey, Shippers!

Just poppin' in for a moment. I love reading all of the discussions.

RE: name change for Sam. Since this is about me, it's OT:
                  Spoiler:
                  Back in "the day" when I was in service (USAF) when you got married the woman's name changed on paperwork. I wasn't married at the time and don't know if they asked, but when two of my colleagues married other service members they did the name change thing. They, of course, were not serving in the same CoC. But, the aforementioned "Majors Michaels" were in the same unit (have no idea how that came about, but they were). And it was funny how someone would ask for "Major Michaels" (or later Lt.Col and/or Colonel) and we'd always respond with, "Which one?"

The romantic in me says that Sam would eagerly become Colonel O'Neill. The practical feminist in me says she'd remain Colonel Carter and be Dr. O'Neill professionally and Mrs. O'Neill personally.

Like Sharon said, my partner and colleagues use "Dr." professionally (on papers, etc...) but in person are referred to by first name (save for undergraduates...they use degree designations at our U.)

Actually, I think Amanda herself addressed something similar once (or at least I remember reading about her saying something along these lines): She uses "Amanda Tapping" professionally. She uses "Amanda <insert married last name which escapes me here>" personally.

I have to say that I agree. I'd love to hear her addressed as "Colonel O'Neill", but it would create so many confusions and questions. So, "Colonel Carter" on the job, and "Mrs. O'Neill" every where else.

Oh, and I believe AT's married name is Amanda Kovacs, though I'm not sure on the spelling.

Edit: Yep, I checked. It's Alan and Amanda Kovacs.
                  sigpic
                  The Return of King Arthur
                  Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
                  acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

I have to say that I agree. I'd love to hear her addressed as "Colonel O'Neill", but it would create so many confusions and questions. So, "Colonel Carter" on the job, and "Mrs. O'Neill" every where else.
                    Well, if it's military rule that you have to change your name when you get married, then I guess she'd have to do it. But my guess is that in scientific circles, she'd somehow retain the "Carter". Maybe hyphenated in that realm.
                    sigpic
                    My Stories AO3

Comment

Well, if it's military rule that you have to change your name when you get married, then I guess she'd have to do it. But my guess is that in scientific circles, she'd somehow retain the "Carter". Maybe hyphenated in that realm.
                      wouldn't seem to make much sense to me to require someone to change their name when they get married......to me it would make more sense to leave it as an option.....esp. if the person keeping the name as is does so in order to prevent any confusion that might arise

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                        wouldn't seem to make much sense to me to require someone to change their name when they get married......to me it would make more sense to leave it as an option.....esp. if the person keeping the name as is does so in order to prevent any confusion that might arise
                        As this is OT:
                        Spoiler:
                        Er...Joe? When has the military really made sense? (speaking as a vet). <grin>

Hmm?
                        What was the question?
                        Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

As this is OT:
                          Spoiler:

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l...-8x06-3237.jpg

Hmm?
                          What was the question?
                          - OT

Spoiler:
                          true.....while I agree with the basic principles of military service....the amount of bureaucracy inherent in such service can at times be quite maddening.........esp. in the VA.....so much bureaucracy there that it seems very little of my tax money is actually being used for the care of the veterans....

Comment

As this is OT:
                            Spoiler:

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l...-8x06-3237.jpg

Hmm?
                            What was the question?
                            I'm trying to remember a vague story my dad told me years and years ago how if you have money in the tire fund but you're short on toilet paper, tough, you can't transfer money from the tire fund. Because it's the tire fund. Period. I think he used different items but my brain filled in what I couldn't remember and that's always dangerous. I'm thinking I might have to get my dad to re-tell me this and write a really funny Jack the General story.

My dad has some crazy stories from his 28 year stint. Although I guess at that point you'd call it a career ^^

"But Sir, we're out of JELL-O!"
                            "I'm sorry Carter. I don't make the rules. The TP fund is the TP fund. You'll just have to wait until next month."
                            "Okay sir, but I hope your truck starts tonight..."
                            "Wait, what's that supposed to mean... Carter... CARTER!"

Comment

Haha, an ad showing up now says...

'Official New Bride Name Change Kit'

I love how the ads change depending on what's being talked about.

Comment

And I yield to those who know. . .

Never having had a ranking of my own. In "One Blanket" I didn't actually specify--Jack approaches the doctor and both names are used--but I would imagine that at Parent/Teacher conference, she'd use "Mrs. O'Neill". Or, knowing her, she'd most likely insist that everyone call her "Sam" outside the professional sphere.
                                One blanket works because you use both, imho. And her records would likely have her legal name as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X