Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
    I wonder why there is such a distinct popular notion that it can NEVER happen. Have they never WATCHED the show? Especially the end of season 8. Really--what else is there to conclude but that they end up together? It's not impossible--and with their reassignments, it's not even that far fetched a notion!!!!!
    Well... Remember, though, JM who has actually written quite a bit of Sam-post-Threads believes her and Jack got together as a couple shortly after Threads. In fact, IIRC, what he said was it only makes sense. And AT herself said something similar (that once they were no longer in direct-chain-of-command, even before Sam went to Atlantis, Sam and Jack got together). I think most of the comments you're referring to were made while the show was going on and both Sam and Jack were in each other's chain-of-command and looked likely to remain so for the foreseeable future so it made sense 'they couldn't get together'. Plus, 'conventional TV wisdom' states you can't resolve a ship on an ongoing TV show and I think this is the other reason folks stated Sam and Jack couldn't get together.

Originally posted by Petra View Post
    I also believe that due to the fact that the antis are quite vocal TPTB think they make up a large part of fanbase and don't want to alienate them..so they continue to maintain the status quo.
    I don't think that's true. JM has said repeatedly on his thread in response to fans banging drums for their cause that simply because a group of fans makes a lot of noise doesn't mean anything like a majority of *the viewership* agrees with them, so I do think TPTB understand.

This does, you realize, work both ways and I suspect they haven't gone back there overtly because until they can do it in a way that matters for storytelling it's going to seem too random to the majority of viewers.

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle View Post
      Haha, an ad showing up now says...

'Official New Bride Name Change Kit'

I love how the ads change depending on what's being talked about.
      - we're being spied upon....

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
        - we're being spied upon....
        sigpic
        Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
          Hey! I remembered my question!

I've read a pile o' fics lately where Sam keeps the name "Carter" after she and Jack are married. I happen to think she'd go with O'Neill because it is HIS name and in a small corner of her mind she's imagined it for years. I know, I'm gonna lose my feminist card, but she's wanted the dream of "normal" for so long...

Now would be a great time to post my Continuum manip but I'm on my iPhone in bed, so...just imagine Sam grinning down from the cockpit and the lettering on both the plane and her name tape say "Sam "Carter" O'Neill."

thoughts?
          great question.

i'd say, she'd keep her carter name for career/military purposes, but choose o'neill for everything else.
          sally

sigpic

Comment

OT Name Change:
            Spoiler:
            Now...after having researched this (because I cannot write without first checking my facts) it appears that Sam would have no choice. Once she completes Form 93 (found in AFI31-501 I think - officially changing her "status,") she becomes, as far as the USAF/DoD is concerned, an O'Neill. If someone can find otherwise, I'd love to read that Instruction (which is what the regs are called, AFI means "Air Force Instruction").
            From what I researched, DD Form 93 (used by all branches of the military) is simply a Record of Emergency Data meant to tell who should be notified in case of emergency. After getting married you fill one out and add your spouse. *But* I'm fairly certain in the block for your name you can simply put your old name. I believe getting your name officially changed involves a specific visit to personnel with your marriage certificate. Even changing it legally with your marriage and getting a new SSN etc. doesn't automatically change it in the military system. That's an entirely separate database. At least, that's what I recall. Though I couldn't find Form 93 when I searched that AFI so maybe I'm missing something from that Instruction.

As for the tire fund story:
            Spoiler:
            That's - sadly - true for all bureaucracies, not simply the military. We need a new desk at work, but we got money this year to spend $150 on an office chair. We've had an office chair donated to us since requesting that funding. However, we absolutely HAD to buy an office chair and couldn't buy a desk.

Like I said, not just the military *sigh* I actually think it's true for all systems run by accountants
            Last edited by JenniferJF; 23 March 2010, 08:13 PM.

Comment

(snipped)

Now...after having researched this (because I cannot write without first checking my facts) it appears that Sam would have no choice. Once she completes Form 93 (found in AFI31-501 I think - officially changing her "status,") she becomes, as far as the USAF/DoD is concerned, an O'Neill. If someone can find otherwise, I'd love to read that Instruction (which is what the regs are called, AFI means "Air Force Instruction").
              sounds good to me!

sam o'neill!
              sally

sigpic

Comment

I really have nothing material to add here except that I'm SO glad that people are posting. The thread has been dead lately, and the kind people who addicted me to this thing are not here to supply me with new material to read!!!

So thanks for these great questions that are giving me something to do besides the truly hideous quilt that is on my machine right now that I REALLY don't want to work on!!! Bless your hearts!
                sigpic
                My Stories: FFdotNet
                My Stories AO3
                Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

I really have nothing material to add here except that I'm SO glad that people are posting. The thread has been dead lately, and the kind people who addicted me to this thing are not here to supply me with new material to read!!!
                  yep! keep the thread alive is helping to keep the ship alive!

<--- greatest ship couple of all time!
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                    yep! keep the thread alive is helping to keep the ship alive!

<--- greatest ship couple of all time!

Night shippers!!

sigpic
                    Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

Night shippers!!
                      **Singing**

Shippers in the night
                      Exchanging fanfic
                      manipping in the night
                      a shippy kiss pic
                      Hoping in the night
                      For that Big Honking Kiss!!!

Please tell me I'm not the only one old enough to know that song!!!!
                      sigpic
                      My Stories: FFdotNet
                      My Stories AO3
                      Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Aww, Pol, I love the little steno/ficlet!

And that fic rec was great! I can't believe I'd never read that story!
                        sigpic
                        Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

that story gave me a headache about all those forms carter err o'neill or carter-o'neill had to fill out. i felt like jack o'neill there for a moment.

Comment

**Singing**

Shippers in the night
                            Exchanging fanfic
                            manipping in the night
                            a shippy kiss pic
                            Hoping in the night
                            For that Big Honking Kiss!!!

Please tell me I'm not the only one old enough to know that song!!!!
                            You're not the only one that knows that song *joins Aka and sings*
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by yessika View Post
                              Oh! I made one with that song a while back...
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0s5d98vhXk

Yes, it is also beyond me why there is such a huge amount of opposition to this ship and why TPTB don't just give us a BHK
                              I love this vid too! Did you post it here, yessika? Because I don't remember seeing it.

They did give us a BHK (Grace), but it wasn't the right one.
                              sigpic
                              I used to trek amongst the stars, now I gate to them

Comment

Originally posted by Treknik View Post
                                I love this vid too! Did you post it here, yessika? Because I don't remember seeing it.

They did give us a BHK (Grace), but it wasn't the right one.
                                I was actually going to comment that the BHK in WoO, IMHO, really does prove within the normally acceptable limits that Sam and Jack *both* have feelings for each other beyond what they should. He initiates, she responds... Even if she doesn't remember it. What else is necessary to at least *prove* the emotions are reciprocated by both of them?

Comment

Working...
                                X