Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
    After Entity. I think that "killing" her would have done it. I don't think he did, but it could have.
    Originally posted by Everlovin View Post
    I can see it happening after Daniel died (Meridian) or after Janet died.
    would you guys have preferred jack's trigger being an emotional fallout of loss, or him freaking out about sam being with pete?

i like both ideas, and i think it would have been fabulous to see jack go jealous guy after the elevator scene in 'chimera' and telling sam to stop this insanity in its tracks!
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Shakespeare. . .

it's from Hamlet. "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."
      i was going to try quoting this, but i wasn't remembering it quite right. (my version was )
      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
        what one episode can you think of that could have pushed jack to reveal his feelings to sam?

this is a 'what if' kind of question.
        I can't imagine it having happened in any episode, at least not the way the episodes occurred on screen. I believe in general - as in the case with Entity - the events actually made it less likely they'd confess their feelings rather than more because I think Jack got well and truly scared and his protective barriers were at full strength afterwards. Similarly, when Janet and Daniel died I think Jack was in full protective mode and wasn't about to let Sam in closer to risk losing *her*.

One of the few times I *might* see it as having played out differently would have been the very end of Grace. If Sam hadn't slipped with the 'Jack' and Jack's response hadn't sounded like a correction to her (whether or not he meant it - not trying to open that debate here), she might have managed to confront him with her feelings and the whole Pete-fiasco might never have happened. Though I believe at that point in time Jack's barriers - having almost lost Sam again - were fairly high, which is why his response sounded like a reprimand in the first place. So I still think the more likely outcome would have been for him to have brushed her off in some way as he did do at the end of Grace, either intentionally or unintentionally, and we wouldn't have gotten a declaration of feelings until later.

I think it's also possible - though highly unlikely - that had Sam turned up at Jack's door that Saturday morning in the middle of Lost City as determined as she was by Threads to finally overcome her fears and let him know how she feels, he might not have brushed her off. But that would have required her to overcome her fears without all the other experience of S8, and the same for him, and it would have also meant he was willing to set her up for the loss of him possibly in a few days when the ancient database fried his mind... Which I find unlikely. So basically, I tend to think all the pain and misery and angst of S8 was absolutely necessary to get both Sam and Jack to a point where they were both able and willing to overcome all their fears of relationship and loss in order to finally be honest with each other about their feelings.

Comment

i was going to try quoting this, but i wasn't remembering it quite right.
          Everyone quotes it as "Methinks the lady doth protest too much", but that's backwards. I've heard professors get it wrong, too.

I got the sense that he was conflicted there (Chimera). And trying to be supportive. And I'm not entirely sure that he believed himself good enough for her.

And I've got my jealous Sam story done--just waiting for it to appear on FF.net.
          sigpic
          My Stories: FFdotNet
          My Stories AO3
          Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Sorry-double post--

here's jealous Sam, Pol!

Enjoy!

Reel Trouble
            sigpic
            My Stories AO3

Comment

would you guys have preferred jack's trigger being an emotional fallout of loss
              This is probably a result of very different interpretations of Jack's personality, but I tend to think it was fear of loss which actually drove him and Sam apart, and was NEVER going to cause them to admit their feelings for each other. I think the defining emotional experiences for both of them were Sam's loss of her mom and Jack's loss of Charlie, and as Jack indicates (I think) in WoO with his statement that he could never go through that again, and his reactions at the forcefield and in Entity, and Sam says (to herself) in Grace, both of them were terrified of loving and losing again. So I just can't see 'loss' ever driving them together. In fact, I think it was only when they realized they were losing each other *anyway* through the course of S8 that in Threads they came to a point where, really, they realized the only way to prevent the loss they were already experiencing was to get together.

i think it would have been fabulous to see jack go jealous guy after the elevator scene in 'chimera' and telling sam to stop this insanity in its tracks!
              Again, I think we have very different views of Jack's personality, because I think if he'd done this he'd have been a very different person than the one we see. Jack seems very humble (despite his flippant and bold veneer) and I think he really did want to see Sam happy and as long as he felt she was happy with Pete he wasn't going to interfere. He had too much respect for her for that. I think he was truly surprised in Threads to learn she thought she was making a mistake, and that she wasn't happy... I just can't see Jack 'going jealous' on anyone, but especially not at that point over Sam being with Pete.

Comment

would you guys have preferred jack's trigger being an emotional fallout of loss, or him freaking out about sam being with pete?

i like both ideas, and i think it would have been fabulous to see jack go jealous guy after the elevator scene in 'chimera' and telling sam to stop this insanity in its tracks!
                Well, if we're going in the "jealous" direction, I could also see during "Between Two Fires" and Jack off-handedly saying something like "As if Narim has a chance."
                sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

Okay, now AKA

FEELS STUPID!!!

It was Trinity with the Jealous fic prompt! Holy cow--can everyone tell that I'm sleep deprived today??????

sigpic
                  My Stories AO3

Comment

Yay for all the fics

Got nothin' useful to add since RL fried my braincell(s)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
                      Aw, thanks

Though I've not got the mental image of Jack kneeling over Sam...
                      *..Right..*

Isn't there one with a halo? That'd work. . .
                      For Jen?

*pfftt*

I repeat:

*..Right..*

what one episode can you think of that could have pushed jack to reveal his feelings to sam?

this is a 'what if' kind of question.
                      I'm going out on a limb here but I'm gonna say: WoO

Kidding.

What was that ep when he was going off to find Daniel in the jungle and Sam was off to fight supersoldiers.

Neither was sure they'd see each other again and the non-speak in that scene in her lab screamed of their real feelings for each other.

I would have been nice, although completely unlikely, to see Jack stop in the doorway as he was about to leave, turn to Sam and quietly say "I love you." Then just leave.

At least that's the S/J ship fantasy in my mind.

I would hope it wouldn't be either. Extreme situations cause you to think twice about what happened IMHO.

I want it to be on a breezy day when she can't get her hair to stay in place, outdoors somewhere and while Sam's admiring the art or scenery, Jack's admiring her.

Jack silently takes Sam's hand in his and simply tells her, "I love you."

I'm a sap.

I know.

Sorry-double post--

here's jealous Sam, Pol!

Enjoy!

Reel Trouble
                      Cool story dude.
                      sigpic
                      sig by Mada
                      As a matter of FIC

Comment

Okay, now AKA

FEELS STUPID!!!

It was Trinity with the Jealous fic prompt! Holy cow--can everyone tell that I'm sleep deprived today??????

No need to feel stupid.

As long as we get the fic dude.

As long as we get the fic.

Originally posted by starlover View Post
                        Yay for all the fics

Got nothin' useful to add since RL fried my braincell(s)

You know better than that Starlover.

That gif is ALWAYS useful

Ok Shippers I'm out for a bit.

Still looking forward to the great ficlets.

**salutes every officer on the ship**

TTYL
                        sigpic
                        sig by Mada
                        As a matter of FIC

Comment

Originally posted by trinity3 View Post
                          **salutes every officer on the ship**

TTYL
                          And I've still not got the image of Jack kneeling over Sam in my head.

Comment

I agree with Jenn on the emotional trigger thing - a lot of what both of them were trying to do was avoid getting hurt and, as we see in "Entity" (and I think, "Grace") was that the threat of loss pushes Jack further inside his emotional shell. What's that Simon & Garfunkel song I love so much... "I Am a Rock" ("And a rock feels no pain, and an island never cries").

I'm an AU fan so I do think that if they had been written into certain situations they might have admitted their emotions, but as the episodes stand now, I don't see a real opening. Maybe Lost City... maybe if Daniel hadn't interrupted *Sam* might've said something. Jack - no way. Not in OUR timeline (that they end up together in other ones suggests they were in some sort of scenario - but what we've seen Sam was not military).

Comment

Originally posted by trinity3 View Post

What was that ep when he was going off to find Daniel in the jungle and Sam was off to fight supersoldiers.

Neither was sure they'd see each other again and the non-speak in that scene in her lab screamed of their real feelings for each other.

I would have been nice, although completely unlikely, to see Jack stop in the doorway as he was about to leave, turn to Sam and quietly say "I love you." Then just leave.

At least that's the S/J ship fantasy in my mind.

(and)

I want it to be on a breezy day when she can't get her hair to stay in place, outdoors somewhere and while Sam's admiring the art or scenery, Jack's admiring her.

Jack silently takes Sam's hand in his and simply tells her, "I love you."

I'm a sap.

I know.
                              i'm a complete romantic and sap too, so i love the ideas!
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Shannon made me do it, and she was right. Jack would bring pie for Pi Day.

Enjoy.

It's a Good Day for Pi
                                Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

Working...
                                X