Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Everlovin View Post
    I had lots of problems with Sam telling Pete - regardless of what he saw or heard. He'd already proven himself untrustworthy. Sam says she can get in trouble for telling and yet he still tries an endrun to find out? There is no way in the real world that he would have been told anything!
    I agree. Using the FBI guy to check up on Sam would have sent up warning flags at the SGC, and he should have been reprimanded for that alone.
    sigpic

Comment

I agree. Using the FBI guy to check up on Sam would have sent up warning flags at the SGC, and he should have been reprimanded for that alone.
      Although, (devil's advocate here), my guess is that FBI man didn't check up on Sam "officially". I know a ton of cops (am related to many) and I know that there are favors passed here and there that aren't ever recorded anywhere.

And I'm guessing that she's checked up on more often than one would think--say Mark goes for a job interview where there are security issues. When a relative of mine worked for a major manufacturer of missiles and tracking technology, we had to answer some questions for her security clearance.

So, it's not entirely impossible that her files are investigated and looked at if not daily, then still pretty darn often.
      sigpic
      My Stories: FFdotNet
      My Stories AO3
      Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
        Although, (devil's advocate here), my guess is that FBI man didn't check up on Sam "officially". I know a ton of cops (am related to many) and I know that there are favors passed here and there that aren't ever recorded anywhere.

And I'm guessing that she's checked up on more often than one would think--say Mark goes for a job interview where there are security issues. When a relative of mine worked for a major manufacturer of missiles and tracking technology, we had to answer some questions for her security clearance.

So, it's not entirely impossible that her files are investigated and looked at if not daily, then still pretty darn often.
        I would love to agree with you here, and I know it happens (Dad ran an FBI check on my then fiance - now husband) but computer searches are there. The trail is there. The tptb at the Pentagon probably know to expect checks regarding Sam's family members, but a background check originating from a police officer with no apparent relationship to Sam? That'll raise red flags.
        sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

I would love to agree with you here, and I know it happens (Dad ran an FBI check on my then fiance - now husband) but computer searches are there. The trail is there. The tptb at the Pentagon probably know to expect checks regarding Sam's family members, but a background check originating from a police officer with no apparent relationship to Sam? That'll raise red flags.
          Yeah, I think so. She is involved in a top-secret project, after all
          sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I think so. She is involved in a top-secret project, after all
            There are lots of favors traded, is all I'm saying. It could be that the check wasn't done by computer. Was that ever established? Asking someone who knows someone who knows someone isn't really traceable all the time.

And we're essentially on the same side. No one on this thread (I don't think) wanted Sam to end up with Pete. I'm just saying that I don't think he was evil--weird, maybe, pushy, and over bearing, yes, a victim of Little Man Syndrome, of course, but not evil.
            sigpic
            My Stories AO3

Comment

That's pretty much how I figured it was. If everytime someone ran a background check on her it got flagged, it'd be even more absurd. Buying a car... applying for a credit card... Pete didn't get beyond the official cover story. It's just that he found out enough that, based on his understanding and his friends, he realized there was a backstop. Now, if he'd gone further I think it would have raised red flags, but he didn't. It seems to me he just did the basic check of her records which falls under Freedom of Information act and was as much a 'fake' as 'deep space telemetry'.

Comment

I doubt it. There could be a crime in her neighborhood and so they ran checks on everyone who lives there. I suspect background checks are more common than most of us know.
                And we're essentially on the same side. No one on this thread (I don't think) wanted Sam to end up with Pete. I'm just saying that I don't think he was evil--weird, maybe, pushy, and over bearing, yes, a victim of Little Man Syndrome, of course, but not evil.
                Well said. I think my point (and yours?) is just that it's not simply black and white and cut and dry. The events of Chimera, while they might seem preposterous to some, aren't inherently necessarily outrageous.

Comment

I doubt it. There could be a crime in her neighborhood and so they ran checks on everyone who lives there. I suspect background checks are more common than most of us know.
                  Or say she volunteers her time with a school or something with children--I have 4 kids at school, and still had to be fingerprinted in order to volunteer in the classroom.

Well said. I think my point (and yours?) is just that it's not simply black and white and cut and dry. The events of Chimera, while they might seem preposterous to some, aren't inherently necessarily outrageous.
                  Yes.

And I'm not defending Pete. I didn't like a lot about him. I just think that this storyline could be plausible under the right circumstances.
                  sigpic
                  My Stories AO3

Comment

And I'm not defending Pete. I didn't like a lot about him. I just think that this storyline could be plausible under the right circumstances.
                    Yes, I agree. And I do think they should have taken the time to make it more clear why it was plausible, considering they must have known folks would be trying to find every reason possibly to hate the episode and hate Pete even if, as I said, he *were* perfect.

As for Pete, I think he had some good points but, like I've said, I think he was wrong in ways that were, mostly, intentionally *wrong* because he was designed to be, well, wrong

Comment

Yes, I agree. And I do think they should have taken the time to make it more clear why it was plausible, considering they must have known folks would be trying to find every reason possibly to hate the episode and hate Pete even if, as I said, he *were* perfect.

As for Pete, I think he had some good points but, like I've said, I think he was wrong in ways that were, mostly, intentionally *wrong* because he was designed to be, well, wrong
                      In fact, he's always struck me as a set up character--the person who comes in and IS WRONG so that someone else could BE RIGHT. IF that makes any sense whatsoever.
                      sigpic
                      My Stories AO3

Comment

In fact, he's always struck me as a set up character--the person who comes in and IS WRONG so that someone else could BE RIGHT. IF that makes any sense whatsoever.
                        Oh, totally. Because, really, he was . It's pretty much the classic 'other' storyline only - IMHO - the set-up for it in Grace and the conclusion of it in Threads (along with some of the moments like her conversation with 'the boys' in Affinity) raise it above the level of the typical 'other' storyline because it feels far more 'real' than such things usually do. Which I've explained often enough I'm totally not enumerating it here. Again.

Comment

Oh, totally. Because, really, he was . It's pretty much the classic 'other' storyline only - IMHO - the set-up for it in Grace and the conclusion of it in Threads (along with some of the moments like her conversation with 'the boys' in Affinity) raise it above the level of the typical 'other' storyline because it feels far more 'real' than such things usually do. Which I've explained often enough I'm totally not enumerating it here. Again.
                          Okay. So how cute is the look Carter gives O'Neill in "The Warrior" after she shoots the heck out of those logs????? SOOO smugly flirtatious. You know watching her shoot like that totally "does it" for him. (that enough of a subject change for you?)
                          sigpic
                          My Stories AO3

Comment

Okay. So how cute is the look Carter gives O'Neill in "The Warrior" after she shoots the heck out of those logs????? SOOO smugly flirtatious. You know watching her shoot like that totally "does it" for him. (that enough of a subject change for you?)
                            lol. Yup. Though I think there's also a sweetness about the fact he's so utterly confident and proud in her abilities. He's absolutely certain she's going to succeed. And I think she's reacting to that - his absolute confidence in her - as much as anything overtly 'shippy'. Of course, though, it's all tied in together (IMHO) as I think it's an example of *why* Sam loves Jack.

Comment

Little Man Syndrome, isn't that a bit harsh?? (of course it's not)
                              sigpic

Comment

Little Man Syndrome, isn't that a bit harsh?? (of course it's not)
                                I know a lot of little guys with Little Man Syndrome--some of whom are taller than I am. And let's face it. Pete had to stand on a box when Sam had heels on. Nothing against small guys, but in Pete's case, I think it would have bothered him more than her. A little Farquaad-esque, right? That he's compensating for something?

(and the fact that my husband is a full foot taller than I am says nothing at all, right?)

And just because it's kind of topical. . . Shameless Self Promotion ahead (it's old, but there you are. . .)

Size Matters
                                sigpic
                                My Stories AO3

Comment

Working...
                                X