• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post
    Season 4!

Episodes of the Week

Nemesis / Small Victories
    I love this pair of episodes. I really do feel that the SG-1 universe came into maturity with this story arc and the subsequent episodes. Bringing the Asgard into the show more, giving us the joy of the Replicators, giving us weeks of Sam and Jack stranded off-world without explanation as to what they did - well, it's just Shippy fanfic GOLD.

When they come out of the 'Gate and Carter's hair is longer, and they have this self-satisfied, relaxed air about them, you just HAVE to ask what they were doing on that other planet, don't you? It was the first time that I was ever inspired to write fanfic, and it ushered me into the great world of writing again.

(In case you're interested, my very first story was called Waiting. It's not that great (I've been tempted to rewrite it many times), but I hadn't written anything since college, and the myriad possibilities of them stranded on that planet just forced me to start writing again. I hadn't ever heard of fanfic until I started trying to find what other fans had to say - and the rest is history. I'm grateful for that push, too, because fanfic has given me the opportunity to practice and perfect the art until I finally feel like I'm ready to write something 'for real'.)
    sigpic
    My Stories: FFdotNet
    My Stories AO3
    Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

One of the few stories I wrote was about "Nemesis" called "How Dare You Sir". Sam is really annoyed that Jack was so willing to sacrifice himself.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7183878/1/How-Dare-You-Sir

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
        <<Tiptoes through thread and quietly throws a pineapple. . . >>

Hey, Shippers! I've got an idea. It's wacky, but should be fun!

I'm planning on writing a Sam/Jack Valentine's Day story. But here's where it'll get interesting. If you have a situation or idea that you'd like to see, post it here or PM me, and I'll choose one of your ideas as the premise for my story.

Want to see Jack dressed as Cupid?
        Want to see them dancing at a high school Prom?
        Want to see them riding horses down a beach?

Whatever ideas you have - send them my way and we'll see what happens. AAAAAAaaaaaaannnndddd, GO!

Hmm... you know me, I like the angst, and I'd love an angsty Valentine's Day set pre-Threads. Set on Earth, Jack and Sam acting as parent chaperones at Cassie's school's Valentine Dance. Cassie must play matchmaker somehow.
        sigpic
        The Return of King Arthur
        Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
        acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

I love this pair of episodes. I really do feel that the SG-1 universe came into maturity with this story arc and the subsequent episodes. Bringing the Asgard into the show more, giving us the joy of the Replicators, giving us weeks of Sam and Jack stranded off-world without explanation as to what they did - well, it's just Shippy fanfic GOLD.

When they come out of the 'Gate and Carter's hair is longer, and they have this self-satisfied, relaxed air about them, you just HAVE to ask what they were doing on that other planet, don't you? It was the first time that I was ever inspired to write fanfic, and it ushered me into the great world of writing again.
          I love that even GateWorld, which usually is electively ignorant impartial to matters of the ship can't help but make note of this on the episode synopsis page for "Nemesis."

http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s4/401.shtml

Sam's relationship with Jack seems to have changed over the past week -- perhaps as a result of them nearly being killed on the Beliskner, or because of something than happened while on P3X-234 (or both). She seems to have let her guard down, and is more open -- more free in showing how much she enjoys him.
          sigpic
          Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways

Comment

"Watcha doin'?"

AND there's that little headduck Sam does which I mentioned last week! I just can't take them! There's so flirty at this stage!
            sigpic

Comment

I'm telling you! This is THE arc. Sure, they get all close and personal in "Out of Mind/Into the Fire", but this two-parter is the one that ushers in the Sam/Jack age. Even Gateworld can't argue it. The little flirtatious glances, and her hiding her smiles all the time. . . It's perfection. They are so completely adorable together.

His awkward fishing invitation. . . Which we ALL know wasn't just an invitation to catch aquatic animals . . . Her near-acceptance. . . I love this arc.
              sigpic
              My Stories AO3

Comment

I had a bit of a discussion with another person awhile back about whether Sam and Jack (and Daniel and Teal'c) were friends. This person said they didn't become friends until after Jack left for Washington; that it took 8 years for them to become friends.

I pointed out (and quoted) several instances from the first year of the series (through Season 8) where it was stated that they were friends (each person in their own way saying they were friends). I never got a comment back on this discussion after that.

Anyone have another impression of the friendship between these four?
                Last edited by hedwig; 15 January 2017, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Not at all. While I do think that sometimes fanfic writers over emphasize the amount of time they probably spent together outside of work (remember Sam's interview with Bregman, and Jack in "Ascension" says "Come on, we never just hang out" when he brings over the pizza and movie), they are all definitely more than co-workers and teammates.

One instance that I feel never gets talked about is how much they eat together at the SGC. Among other times, Teal'c and Jack eat together during "Redemption" and in "Window of Opportunity," we see two consecutive days when Jack, Sam, and Daniel eat breakfast together.

What strikes me in that instance is that on the day that Jack is eating oatmeal, they are sitting in the exact same positions as the day (many days!) where Jack is eating Fruit Loops. Now, if I had been directing that episode, I would have instructed them to switch places in order to emphasize that this (truly!) is a different day after all of those loops. Instead, they're all sitting in their same spots, which implies to me that those are "their" spots and that eating breakfast together is probably a common occurrence between the team.
                  sigpic

Comment

Challenge #121
                    Friendships\Bromances

Copter

Msusy

slizzie

sigpic
                    Sig and Avi by by AFA Secret Santa Josiane. Thank you.

Comment

Art Challenge #122

I’m calling this challenge a collage challenge. The aim for this week is to use at least four elements (Pictures\Textures\Brushes\Fonts whichever and however many of each you’d like) in a collage style art.

For fic writers. Write an ensemble fic.

Please PM me your entries by noon on the 23rd.
                      sigpic
                      Sig and Avi by by AFA Secret Santa Josiane. Thank you.

Comment

I'm telling you! This is THE arc. Sure, they get all close and personal in "Out of Mind/Into the Fire", but this two-parter is the one that ushers in the Sam/Jack age. Even Gateworld can't argue it. The little flirtatious glances, and her hiding her smiles all the time. . . It's perfection. They are so completely adorable together.

His awkward fishing invitation. . . Which we ALL know wasn't just an invitation to catch aquatic animals . . . Her near-acceptance. . . I love this arc.
                        And isn't that just it!? Because like you said, Jack and Sam had gotten close before then - "Solitudes", "Out of Mind/Into the Fire" - but that was always circumstantial (though you can bet that if Jack had found Daniel before Sam in "Out of Mind" he wouldn't have cradled Daniel against him behind the pillar .... ), but this was the start of the Will They/Won't They arc.

Because now they're seeking each other out to spend time together. Jack's coming to Sam's lab to ask her out (basically), and she's recognizing just how dangerous that could be for the two of them. And it's all the more perfect that this arc begins with Jack asking Sam to going fishing, and the Will They/Won't They arc ends when she finally does!

Guh.

I love them.

After all this time?

Always.

sigpic

Comment

Episodes of the Week

Upgrades

Crossroads

Edit: LOL, at first I wrote "Crosswords" as "Crossroads" and it occurred to me that the former would have been an infinitely more shippy episode than the latter.
                          sigpic

Comment

Episodes of the Week

Upgrades

Crossroads

Edit: LOL, at first I wrote "Crosswords" as "Crossroads" and it occurred to me that the former would have been an infinitely more shippy episode than the latter.
                            Isn't it in "Lost City" when Jack's doing the Crossword and he puts in "Uma Thurman" for the clue "Celestial Body"?

Shippiness ensues when Sam can't keep herself from rolling her eyes and giving him one of her quirky smiles. . .

And, of course, that all leads us to "Threads". . .

sigpic
                            My Stories AO3

Comment

Not at all. While I do think that sometimes fanfic writers over emphasize the amount of time they probably spent together outside of work (remember Sam's interview with Bregman, and Jack in "Ascension" says "Come on, we never just hang out" when he brings over the pizza and movie), they are all definitely more than co-workers and teammates.

One instance that I feel never gets talked about is how much they eat together at the SGC. Among other times, Teal'c and Jack eat together during "Redemption" and in "Window of Opportunity," we see two consecutive days when Jack, Sam, and Daniel eat breakfast together.

What strikes me in that instance is that on the day that Jack is eating oatmeal, they are sitting in the exact same positions as the day (many days!) where Jack is eating Fruit Loops. Now, if I had been directing that episode, I would have instructed them to switch places in order to emphasize that this (truly!) is a different day after all of those loops. Instead, they're all sitting in their same spots, which implies to me that those are "their" spots and that eating breakfast together is probably a common occurrence between the team.
                              I honestly don't think that their bonding time is done on Earth. I think that their time spent off-world, around their campfire or in whatever alien hotel-type-thing they're staying, they'd tend to glom onto each other for their own safety and to talk mission-talk. Those times would have to cement a solid friendship. If they didn't like each other, they couldn't possibly stand to spend that much time together.

What proves the friendship for me are those times when they've felt betrayed by each other. When Sam is being investigated because of Orlin, or in "The Other Side", when Daniel is prodding and poking for answers and Jack pushes him down, and when Daniel goes on the ship with the cyborg dude in the episode with the big terra-farming ship. . . They are all genuinely angry at each others' actions, showing a feeling of betrayal. You can't betray someone that you really don't like. You can't feel betrayed by someone with whom you had no understanding of friendship or trust.

Just my thoughts, there.
                              sigpic
                              My Stories AO3

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                                I had a bit of a discussion with another person awhile back about whether Sam and Jack (and Daniel and Teal'c) were friends. This person said they didn't become friends until after Jack left for Washington; that it took 8 years for them to become friends.

I pointed out (and quoted) several instances from the first year of the series (through Season 8) where it was stated that they were friends (each person in their own way saying they were friends). I never got a comment back on this discussion after that.

Anyone have another impression of the friendship between these four?
                                Now that always felt silly to me. I encountered this belief a few times in fanfics and it always frustrated me a bit. The notion that Jack and Sam were never friends because of the regs. Sure, their relationship has legal limits in a way their relationships with the other members of the team don't have... but to think they were never good friends ? That they didn't know each other until the end of season 8 ? Really ? All of SG1 considers each other family. You don't consider someone family if you're not at least good friends with them. And it's not because they weren't seen hanging out a lot outside the base in the series that they didn't know little intimate things about one another. Especially as they all spent more time on base and missions than off duty. Meaning that their bonding and knowing each other happened on base and during missions (campfire moments, getting occasionally stranded for a while, eating together, helping each other to survive, getting worried whenever one of them is sick or overworking, etc...). And let's remember how long Teal'c litterally lived on base on a daily basis. 8 whole years. The base was his home on Earth for 8 years. Also, is "Jack and Daniel living together for a bit" (because Daniel didn't have a home anymore) at the beginning of the show canon or not ? Can't remember...

True. I'm not even sure how much times Sam (and the rest of SG1) spent with Janet and Cassie outside the base. Probably not as much as people imagine based on Sam's busy career. The only thing I remember is Sam being at Cassie's birthday once and Jack being well known by the kids at Cassie's school (the episode with Merryn? The little girl Jack takes outside against orders...)... which indicates he does spend time with her when his work allows him some free time (there is also this scene where Cassie complains about Jack's "fake dumb persona" to Sam... which means she spent quite a few time with him, enough to get annoyed by some of his antics... I think it's the same episode as the birthday scene). How much though ? Probably as often as Sam. That's why Janet adopted her in the first place (though, to be fair, I wonder how busy Janet's own schedule was... being a doctor is usually considered to be a time consuming job).

What proves the friendship for me are those times when they've felt betrayed by each other. When Sam is being investigated because of Orlin, or in "The Other Side", when Daniel is prodding and poking for answers and Jack pushes him down, and when Daniel goes on the ship with the cyborg dude in the episode with the big terra-farming ship. . . They are all genuinely angry at each others' actions, showing a feeling of betrayal. You can't betray someone that you really don't like. You can't feel betrayed by someone with whom you had no understanding of friendship or trust.
                                This is a very good point.
                                Last edited by RadicalDreamer; 18 January 2017, 02:01 PM.
                                My Tumblr.
                                My Tumblr Art Blog.
                                My Deviantart page.

Comment

Working...
                                X