Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome! This week’s challenge is:

Quote Challenge: “Are you familiar with the phrase, ‘famous last words’?"

Looking for that one line that pulls the story together? Look no further! For this challenge, the quote prompt should appear in your story. Easy, right?

(For the art/vid folks, if you can't work in the text and/or the exact line, we'd love to see your interpretation of that quote!)

How does it work?
    • A new challenge/prompt will be posted on Wednesday
    • Responses should be self-contained stories (no word minimum or limit unless length was specified as part of the challenge) that take place in one chapter (or art/vid if that’s what strikes your fancy). Works can be shared as soon as they’re ready. Post your work at your archive of choice, website, journal, etc. or behind spoiler tags within the thread. (If you want to hold your submission back until the master post, that’s fine too.)
    • The challenge closes the following Tuesday at 2100 GMT (that’s 5:00p EDT)
    • PM a link to your challenge response to Amara D’Angeli. Tuesday evenings, links to all the responses for each challenge will be collected together into one post for easy navigation.
    • OPTIONAL: Post your submission to the AO3 Collection. Here’s the Safe-Link to this week’s challenge (Safe-Links will ensure you’re not spoiled for future challenges).

So…

What do you do if you break the “rules”?
    So you didn’t quite hit a word count or you didn’t adhere on a structure challenge. Maybe a setting challenge worked better for you if you interpreted it loosely. Don’t worry! It’s all good. Submit your response anyway. (We totally want to see it!)

Have an idea for a WOS prompt?
    Let us know and we’ll put it in the rotation.

Want to see what the fuss is all about? Check out previous submissions here. (PLEASE NOTE: By following this link you may spoil yourself for future challenges.)
    Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

So I was watching Matter of Time last night. This ep is a favorite of mine for many reasons. (I also love Sally Malcolm's novels that are sequels!) But, is anyone else bothered by the way everyone treats Sam in this episode? She's supposed to be their Gate expert, but all of the sudden, no one wants to listen to her and at the same time, they are practically ordering her to come up with a solution. I understand the hostility Jack projects at her because of her comment regarding keeping the gate open for scientific purposes, and maybe that is the core of the problem. Both Jack and Hammond are very short with her almost to the point of belittling her. Thoughts?

One of my favorite scenes in this ep is between Sam and Teal'c when they are topside in the tent when Sam is trying to figure things out on the white boards. This really sparked my warm fuzzies for the friendship between the two of them.
      sigpic

----------
      FFN ----- AO3 ----------

Comment

Originally posted by IamDKScully View Post
        I understand the hostility Jack projects at her because of her comment regarding keeping the gate open for scientific purposes, and maybe that is the core of the problem. Both Jack and Hammond are very short with her almost to the point of belittling her.
        I never thought that Jack was hostile or short with her. Sam's curiosity got the better of her, and you can understand her urge to watch a phenomenon which they couldn't possibly watch. But you can also understand Jack's POV, who only sees that they will watch good people (some of which he trained personally!) die.

And the fact that Sam isn't being listened to, I think is largely due to the fact that the other experts had some more days to deal with the problem, whereas Sam only had about an hour or so? (Time distortion) Plus, it is very early on the show, and Sam is only one of the gate experts. Granted, she is one of the most skilled ones, but that doesn't mean that she's infallible. If 9 scientists say A is right, and only one goes with B - and the one that goes with B had a lot less time to think about the problem - I think it would be completely illogical to still go with B.

In my opinion that has nothing to do with belittling Sam or her achievements. But all your achievements don't mean that you can't be wrong about something. (As a matter of fact, I wish that Sam had been wrong about things more often - to give her character credibility. )
        sigpic

Comment

I understand the situation and I agree with your points, Kimberley. But, I don't know, every time I watch it there are those 2 moments that make me cringe. There's a really good fic about the aftermath of this event where everybody treats her badly because word gets around about what she said about keeping the wormhole open and Walter is the one who finally tells her why everyone is giving her the cold shoulder.

There's also a Sam in Atlantis fic that features her and Ronon. It's short, but they are basically doing the commando thing together and she's doing her usually 3 things at once while they're running from the bad guys and Ronon makes the comment that he wonders what happens when she makes a mistake and she says simply "People die." I think that says so much about who she becomes from those early unsure moments to her more cavalier "this is what we are gonna do," attitude that comes later.

(I'll insert references later, but I'm at work and can't find them at the moment *looks around corner to make sure no one sees* )
          sigpic

----------
          FFN ----- AO3 ----------

Comment

i found my 'trio' dialog on my computer! (i like having it to read)

-via joe mallozzi's blog-

Carter: So…you seeing anyone?

Keller: What?

Carter: Around the base, you seeing anyone?

Keller: I dunno…I had a moment with - with this…guy. He’s not exactly easy to read so…I guess the short answer is “no”. You?

Carter: Well, I’m the boss, so I can’t really…

Keller: Right Anyone back home?

Carter: Uhm…

Keller: Un-huh, I thought so. Give it up.

Carter: Well, it’s complicated.

Keller: Show me a relationship that isn’t.

Carter: He’s in Washington…I’m here.

Keller: Ouch. Long distance relationship.

Carter: He’s going to retire soon, so maybe -

Keller: Really! Retire? So…an older man, huh?

Carter: Not that much older.

Keller: Washington, older man…is he like a Senator or something? Someone famous? Would I know him?

Carter: Probably not.

*sighs *
            sally

sigpic

Comment

I still don't like the implications here. It's implied that they aren't together yet but will be in the nebulous sometime in the future...

No. There are plenty of indications up until here that they're together at least in couplehood. All couply together. Not waiting for someday.

Totally glad they cut it.
              sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

Originally posted by Everlovin View Post
                I still don't like the implications here. It's implied that they aren't together yet but will be in the nebulous sometime in the future...

No. There are plenty of indications up until here that they're together at least in couplehood. All couply together. Not waiting for someday.

I don't think that's implied... I think it is very much implied that they are together, in various way. I mean, look at all the pictures Sam took to Atlantis: picture of Jack NOT in uniform.
                And the 'it's complicated' here is more than accurate. I mean, come on... she is in another galaxy. How much more long-distance can you get.

I always thought that her "He's gonna retire soon, so maybe-" was more along the lines of "He's gonna come to Atlantis to live here once he's retired". I mean, she said it right after Keller made the long distance relationship comment after all...
                And at that point Sam didn't know yet that she wouldn't be stationed in Atlantis for that much longer. She was still under the impression that it was an indefininite time that she would be stationed there.

If she wasn't together with Jack, Sam would have just said "Nope." when Keller asked "Anyone back home?" Which she didn't...
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Everlovin View Post

you know, i kind of got that feeling too for a moment, but sam's not saying they're aren't in a relationship, only that it's complicated b/c he's so far away (understatement ). him retiring will make it easier... to retire on atlantis? could he do that?
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

What she ^^ said I also think the "he's gonna retire soon" line has to do with the distance, not the status of the relationship.
                    sigpic

----------
                    FFN ----- AO3 ----------

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                      him retiring will make it easier... to retire on atlantis? could he do that?
                      He's a two-star general... and they let Maybourne 'retire' off-world. I think Jack could probably retire to wherever he wanted to...
                      sigpic

Comment

REMINDER! We still haven't started the rewatch for Season 5. Real life has gotten in everyone's way I think Check out the list HERE We still have 7 eps that need to be claimed. Come, join us
                        sigpic

----------
                        FFN ----- AO3 ----------

Comment

Originally posted by Kimberley Jackson View Post
                          He's a two-star general... and they let Maybourne 'retire' off-world. I think Jack could probably retire to wherever he wanted to...
                          sounds lovely!!

except for those pesky life sucking aliens...
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

sounds lovely!!

except for those pesky life sucking aliens...
                            Like that would keep him away from Sam... He'd probably love the excitement. Plus it would give him a chance to occasionally step through the gate again.

Plus: Isn't Atlantis the freaking perfect place for fishing? It's a city ON THE OCEAN!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kimberley Jackson View Post
                              Like that would keep him away from Sam... He'd probably love the excitement. Plus it would give him a chance to occasionally step through the gate again.

Plus: Isn't Atlantis the freaking perfect place for fishing? It's a city ON THE OCEAN!
                              i could SO see jack doing that and being thrilled!

~in the last novel of the stargate atlantis legacy series, sam and jack are doing just that. reeeal nice scene!
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

i could SO see jack doing that and being thrilled!

~in the last novel of the stargate atlantis legacy series, sam and jack are doing just that. reeeal nice scene!
                                Really?!? Oh, I really have to start reading those! I already read on the blog of one of the authors on LJ, that they did treat Sam and Jack as a canon couple in that book - meaning, they assumed that they had a relationship without overly addressing it much. So that sparked my curiosity... and what you described just now would just make it perfect.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X