No announcement yet.

Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, thank you so much! That helps a lot! NEI, cyced, I'll credit you two for this in my story.

I had no idea how to describe it - not even in my first language, since I know nothing about hairstyles.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kimberley Jackson View Post
      Okay, thank you so much! That helps a lot! NEI, cyced, I'll credit you two for this in my story.

I had no idea how to describe it - not even in my first language, since I know nothing about hairstyles.
      Just keep in mind that your pov character might also not know. If it's Jack, for example, I really can't see him describing a hairstyle accurately. Not even sure Sam would describe it as such.
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
        Just keep in mind that your pov character might also not know. If it's Jack, for example, I really can't see him describing a hairstyle accurately. Not even sure Sam would describe it as such.
        I'm most using an third person (semi-omniscient) narrator with (sometimes) third-person subjective perspectives, but those perspectives are shifting and not fixed to one character. Certainly Jack would not know - or care to know. His train of thought would probably be limited to 'sexy!'
        But the 3rd-person narrative voice can describe (or at least mention) it to the readers so that the readers have a more accurate idea. Besides, I think it would be out of character for any character to think "Oh, a flicked out, layered chin length bob. That looks sexy." Nobody thinks like that - except maybe if your character was a hairdresser.
        I'm rarely using a first person narrative voice - I don't like it for some reason. I usually don't even like to read it, and avoid it in fanfiction. I've read too many bad POVs in the past.
        sigpic

Comment

I'm most using an third person (semi-omniscient) narrator with (sometimes) third-person subjective perspectives, but those perspectives are shifting and not fixed to one character. Certainly Jack would not know - or care to know. His train of thought would probably be limited to 'sexy!'
          But the 3rd-person narrative voice can describe (or at least mention) it to the readers so that the readers have a more accurate idea. Besides, I think it would be out of character for any character to think "Oh, a flicked out, layered chin length bob. That looks sexy." Nobody thinks like that - except maybe if your character was a hairdresser.
          I'm rarely using a first person narrative voice - I don't like it for some reason. I usually don't even like to read it, and avoid it in fanfiction. I've read too many bad POVs in the past.
          I'm the kind of person that looks at a hair cut and thinks like that, then again I'm a creative person so I always find myself looking at how things are put together - the long choppy fringe roughly the same length as the shortest layer, the long flicked out layers, the overall length reaching her chin and the generally relaxed tousled look of the style.

Then again, everything I see I break down into it's component parts.

I quite agree that Sam/Jack and the others wouldn't see it as much more than short and flicky with bangs.
          Don't get it right, get it written - Unknown, they haven't decided who said it first
          If you want something in life, you have to work for it

Turn off lights not in use, buy local produce where possible, recycle all you can. Help save YOUR planet.

Comment

Point of view like that isn't exclusive to first person narrative. For example, I write in third person but I do stick to one person's point of view per scene/chapter rather than omniscient or head-hopping.
            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I'm with you on this Kimberley. This is definitely one of those peeves that Amara was talking about. There is something about first person that just doesn't work for me. I know it can work, but I tend to skip those fics too.
              sigpic

----------
              FFN ----- AO3 ----------

Comment

Ooh, yeah I get peevy over point of view - mostly because a lot of people do it wrong.

I'm not a fan of 1st but sometimes it works. I really, really dislike second and can only reference, like, a couple of time where it worked for me. I LOVE me some 3rd person limited. I mean, there's so much subtlety available with 3L. Third person omniscient feels amateur to me but only because we lose nuance when, as readers, we're given the innermost workings of everyone's brains. As writers we lose the ability to surprise the readers because we're already telling them what everyone is thinking and feeling. It feels like a wasted opportunity.
                Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

Okay Shippers are you getting excited?????

sigpic

----------
                  FFN ----- AO3 ----------

Comment

Of course!!! I've got company coming tomorrow and, as a result have a bunch of housework to do as well as homework and then people to entertain. So I'm not sure how much I'll be around. But I'll definitely check in from time to time to enjoy the festivities!
                    Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X