No announcement yet.

Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#7 --maybe it was just a really lucky symbiote????
    sigpic
    My Stories: FFdotNet
    My Stories AO3
    Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Sometimes real life hits you like a sack of hammers and then another sack is thrown two days later... ugh...

I've watched the episode, and my thoughts will be up in a day or so. Glad others are leaving their thoughts!

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
      sigpic
      The Return of King Arthur
      Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
      acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

I know it seems early, but we started talking about Secret Santa on Twitter and I was wondering if anyone was interested in doing it again this year?

Last year, I organized it because hlndncr had too much RL stuff going on to do it and no one else stepped in, but I'd be happy to let someone else do it this year. Or, if no one wants to, I can do it again...

Secret Santa

For those unfamiliar with Secret Santa:
        Secret Santa is a shippy event taking place prior to Christmas; people can 'sign up' and get everyone gets a person assigned for whom they have to make something shippy. All the participants will be asked to fill out and post a questionnaire in this thread, so their Secret Santa can see what their preferences are; Secret Santas can make vids, art or fic(let)s for their giftee.

They will then submit their gifts to the organizer by email, who will email them to the giftee when the time is right Then everyone gets to enjoy their gifts!
        Last edited by fems; 17 September 2015, 11:51 AM.
        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Yeah, but considering it wasn't even fully mature... which is why it didn't completely blend with K... it was just odd!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
            I know it seems early, but we started talking about Secret Santa on Twitter and I was wondering if anyone was interested in doing it again this year?

Last year, I organized it because hlndncr had too much RL stuff going on to do it and no one else stepped in, but I'd be happy to let someone else do it this year. Or, if no one wants to, I can do it again...

Secret Santa
            I've never done it before, but I might like to do it.

It depends on what's involved and deadline etc as there's some stuff I can't/ won't write - so I guess it would depend how it works - like, does somebody have a list of wants and you have to write what they want?

Yes, I'm clueless!

Comment

Originally posted by mthet View Post
              I've never done it before, but I might like to do it.

It depends on what's involved and deadline etc as there's some stuff I can't/ won't write - so I guess it would depend how it works - like, does somebody have a list of wants and you have to write what they want?

Yes, I'm clueless!
              I looked up my post from last year:

Secret Santa is a shippy event taking place prior to Christmas; people can 'sign up' and get everyone gets a person assigned for whom they have to make something shippy. All the participants will be asked to fill out and post a questionnaire in this thread, so their Secret Santa can see what their preferences are; Secret Santas can make vids, art or fic(let)s for their giftee.

They will then submit their gifts to the organizer by email, who will email them to the giftee when the time is right Then everyone gets to enjoy their gifts!

In this link you can see the questionnaire we've used for the past few years. Santas can also post additional questions in the thread and ask everyone participating to fill it in.
              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post

Secret Santa

I want to participate, but I can't help with the organizing.
                sigpic
                My Stories AO3

Comment

Originally posted by webbo View Post
                  Yeah, but considering it wasn't even fully mature... which is why it didn't completely blend with K... it was just odd!
                  There were SO many things that I didn't get about the symbiote thing. Size was just one - maybe there were different races of symbiote and they varied in size and shape and violence?

My biggest problem with the Goa'uld was actually introduced in this episode. They remove the Goa'uld, but the host retains the Goa'uld personality. In the episode with Skaa'ra, the Tokra remove the symbiote and he's returned to normal. Why woud the Goa'uld voluntarily remove itself completely if it could hang around and still have control over the host? That makes no sense. Additionally, Selmak was dying, which meant that Jacob chose to die with him. All of his memories and personality could have been saved in Jacob and they could have removed the symbiote like they did in this episode, right? And yes, there was a "toxins" talk with Sam, but it still made no sense to me at all.

Rules for convenience's sake, IMO.
                  sigpic
                  My Stories AO3

Comment

My biggest problem with the Goa'uld was actually introduced in this episode. They remove the Goa'uld, but the host retains the Goa'uld personality.
                    Actually, they didn't remove the symbiote. They thought they had, but it had just shed a husk that had fooled them.

"BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

Comment

Originally posted by Britta View Post
                      Actually, they didn't remove the symbiote. They thought they had, but it had just shed a husk that had fooled them.
                      Whattt?? Really? Perhaps that is why the symbiote looked so long to me. It did look like a real goa'uld when they had a shot of it in the surgery pan. How have I missed this before?
                      sigpic

Comment

Ehh, personally, I don't think that's actually what's implied. The line is "What the humans removed was merely a dead husk. I had already become one with the host." That, to me, implies that after melding with the host and establishing control, the Goa'uld's physical body no longer becomes necessary (and likely withers and dies).

Now, this certainly was left ambiguous because they made a point of showing that they had left a small piece of the symbiote (his head, I think) in Kawalsky after the surgery that fell out (of his brain? Wat?) after he died. I've heard the theory that maybe the symbiote was still alive and kicking simply because of that (like a worm after it's been divided in half), and that the symbiote was simply lying about "becoming one" with the host. But I'm not convinced of that, because if the symbiote was having difficulty taking over Kawalsky when it was whole, I can't believe it could have held control after it's own body was removed.

So I'm back to the original theory that once the blending occurs, the Goa'uld's physical body becomes unnecessary (and dies and disintegrates), leaving the Goa'uld solidly in charge of the host. This is what I believe is implied, because the symbiote has control of Kawalsky the entire time after the surgery ("My friend died on the table"), but this opens up a host (haha!) of issues related to the Goa'uld as a species and what of the host is able to survive.

I chalk it all up to poor decision making early on, because this concept of melding with the host in this manner is never again brought up, and in fact, is contradicted by other observations. The Tok'ra do specifically blend with the host, but even then there is a distinction between host and symbiote (the blending seems to be part of a mental component), but it's never stated again that the Goa'uld blend with the host. In "Secrets" it was a shock that Sha're could access Amaunet's memories when Sha're was in control, leading to the general assumption that Goa'uld hosts are merely suppressed by the symbiote, but not integrated with them.

No one ever said this show was consistent (). Add in the fact that we never truly find out what a blending implies. If we take this symbiote at his word, blending ("becoming one") seems only to indicate an establishment of control over the host. Did Jolinar truly blend with Sam, and did Kanan truly blend with Jack (the line in Abyss actually is "[Kanan] would be willing to blend with O'Neill, cure him, and then leave him again."). Is there anything else that we know is actually part of the blending process?

So many questions that will probably never be answered!
                        sigpic
                        Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways

Comment

Yes, this. I imagine they shed a husk once they've wrapped around the brain stem (or wherever, since this seemed to change throughout the show too!), which means they're smaller and only retain the necessary body parts to control a host. Perhaps that's also why Zipacna claims Klorel couldn't survive without Skaara/a host, even though we know symbiotes can live in aquatic environments and don't need hosts.
                          On FFnet or AO3

Comment

I want to participate, but I can't help with the organizing.
                            MominHighHeels/ShoeQueen has offered to organize it! I explained the things I did last year and will pass on the log in stuff for the Sam/Jack mail account I created back then to her.

I'm sure she'll drop by on GW later to announce it and inquire about participants.
                            On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Finally did the rewatch. . I agree with what everyone has said. Shippiness is still is not very evident as the characters are still being developed. Although, if a Gou'ld had actually grabbed Sam like that and slammed her against an elevator wall, knocking her out, in a later episode, well.... would have liked to have seen that! The Gou'ld would have been history (painfully) at Jack's hands.

I always thought that the part that remained in K was like what happens with a snake that sheds it's skin (and that is what was pulled out - a layer of skin). Becoming one with the host was when the snake wrapped itself around the brain stem. I guess I just never noticed the inconsistencies before. The show developed just like the characters had to.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by houghtam View Post
                                Finally did the rewatch. . I agree with what everyone has said. Shippiness is still is not very evident as the characters are still being developed. Although, if a Gou'ld had actually grabbed Sam like that and slammed her against an elevator wall, knocking her out, in a later episode, well.... would have liked to have seen that! The Gou'ld would have been history (painfully) at Jack's hands.

I always thought that the part that remained in K was like what happens with a snake that sheds it's skin (and that is what was pulled out - a layer of skin). Becoming one with the host was when the snake wrapped itself around the brain stem. I guess I just never noticed the inconsistencies before. The show developed just like the characters had to.
                                Definitely. Would have loved to see Jack's reaction to something like that later on!

In a bizarre moment of crossing realities, when Jay Acovone threw Amanda backwards, she accidentally hit her head and got a concussion. She talks more about it in this (really old, really poor quality) behind the scenes video starting at 0:24.

“So when you see Carter drop down into the corner of the elevator, slumped into a pathetic little heap … that was really Amanda slumped down into a pathetic little heap!”

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X