No announcement yet.

Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The whole "We can't be together because of regs" thing has never flown with me, and I totally got Sam in Grace when she asked if that was just an excuse, because I don't see how it couldn't be.
    As if resigning from the air force is a permanent thing! Either one of them could resign before a two week vacation, get married, then reenlist. Jack unretired in the space of a day first time around. As if either of them wouldn't be smart enough to figure that out! Pfffft.
    The password is fishing...

Comment

Originally posted by Ikorni View Post
      Yeah, I'd be happy with a kiss any time, even the one in Heroes, though not in the infirmary! I wouldn't think it's OOC in anyway actually. It'd just tell me Jack's more important than she cares to admit. Heck...give me more!
      i wouldn't think it's ooc either. for me, the regs aren't one of the ten commandments , just a tool to help keep things as unbiased as possible.

i'm more into the love story than the angst of not being able to be together. i can only take so much of that angst...

I didn't know that was supposed to be a movie! And how epic that would have been! And yes, I'd take that shippy resolution in Lost City rather than the whole fiasco of Season 8 that stretched to threads. It's such a let down after Jack gets defrozen.
      oh yes! i had one of my shipper meltdowns that nights. guh, i hated that time.
      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Sam View Post
        The whole "We can't be together because of regs" thing has never flown with me, and I totally got Sam in Grace when she asked if that was just an excuse, because I don't see how it couldn't be.
        As if resigning from the air force is a permanent thing! Either one of them could resign before a two week vacation, get married, then reenlist. Jack unretired in the space of a day first time around. As if either of them wouldn't be smart enough to figure that out! Pfffft.

that means i agree and feel the same, etc.
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Wow, catching up with all the new pages of the thread after only one day! I'm glad we're all so active lately

We do have Awesome motivation!!

So married!

Comment

Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Found this quote by RDA from this site:

“I have a fair amount of say in the directing and final product. And I have some say in character direction. I’ve been a bit of spoilsport in the romantic tension between O’Neill and Carter. It’s just too easy a direction to go. We do have some creative license with how we portray the characters within the military setting we have. I do have a fair amount of say, and I’m part of the team that comes up with the final product...."

Sigh.
              Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                I've read this statement ("I heard there was a kiss scripted here.") with every hug, touch, look and several other innocent moments. I have to tell you, the writers were not that into Sam and Jack kissing. I've researched this subject extensively and this is what I've positively been able to confirm.

1) Hug in TBFtGoG. This is the only instance where it has been positively stated that the script called for a kiss and AT/RDA together chose to make it a hug.

2) BtS head on shoulder. You can thank PDL for no kiss here. It was his idea to take it out.

3) Lost City. Brad Wright considered having them kiss in the cargo ship. In fact, when this was slated to be a dvd movie the kiss likely would have happened. But since the show was sticking around they didn't want S/J to have that baggage.

Every other rumor about their being a kiss in the script is just that and it's highly unlikely it was ever there.

Personally, I would have been happy with kisses in all three instances above. In fact, I think there should have been much more kissing. (See my ongoing Stolen Kisses series for places where I think more kisses actually happened could have been included.) But other than that one final ship confirming BHK, I'm mostly satisfied with what we got.

P.S. On the other side of the coin, however, PoV was scripted for the express purpose of having Sam and Jack kiss. Alt!Sam was not in the military to get around the regs. So the PTB weren't totally uninterested in the kissing either.
                Cool list. I've also bookmarked your Stolen Kisses to read them all later. The first one's got me hooked

Definitely in BtS, we could have gotten a kiss there which would not have been ooc for anyone.

**sighs over missed opportunities**

“I have a fair amount of say in the directing and final product. And I have some say in character direction. I’ve been a bit of spoilsport in the romantic tension between O’Neill and Carter. It’s just too easy a direction to go. We do have some creative license with how we portray the characters within the military setting we have. I do have a fair amount of say, and I’m part of the team that comes up with the final product...."

Sigh.
                ** double sigh over missed opportunities**
                sigpic
                sig by Mada
                As a matter of FIC

Comment

Speaking of forehead kisses, I generally find them either patronizing or leading... to more intimate ones, particularly between 2 people who are crazy about each other.

But that's just me.

I guess the long and short of it is that we all want a believable, in character, real timeline kiss between Sam and Jack.
                  sigpic
                  sig by Mada
                  As a matter of FIC

Comment

Sigh.
                    i've known for quite some time that both actors weren't as ship-minded as us. and i've suspicioned the influence with the end result with both.

i read/saw an interview once with the actors that played troi and riker (from star trek next generation), and they were very interested in their characters 'ship'. that was *so* very lovely to know. made me sad too, in regards to our ship...
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Sigh.
                      It should be noted that interview was from 2000. The actors' opinions have evolved over time. For example, there's also an old quote from AT on that page about not wanting a romance between Jack and Sam. She has certainly changed her tune since then.

As for RDA being the one holding back the romance, as he pointed out in the full quote, Brad Wright had ultimate control. There were definitely times when he told RDA no. For example, RDA wanted O'Neill to learn that Laira had a child. BW said that would be wrong for the character.

RDA was adamant about showing proper respect for the military. The military advisors were adamant about there not being a romantic relationship between Jack and Sam. Thus, the regs became not just an excuse but an ironclad barrier as long as RDA was involved. I have no problem with that. I think they did it right.

RDA has said that he doesn't mind kissing AT; so as long as the situation was right I don't think he would complain.

My feelings about all this is that I like it when the actors agree with my prejudices about their characters, but especially at this point these characters have taken on a life of their own. There opinions really don't influence my views one way or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                        i've known for quite some time that both actors weren't as ship-minded as us. and i've suspicioned the influence with the end result with both.

i read/saw an interview once with the actors that played troi and riker (from star trek next generation), and they were very interested in their characters 'ship'. that was *so* very lovely to know. made me sad too, in regards to our ship...
                        Yes. I understand from AT's pov that she didn't want the character of Sam to be typecast, but after say 6 years, everyone knew who Sam was so she would not have been considered the typical sci-fi siren.

RDA's pov - not so much. I guess he also didn't want the show to be sterotyped but again, I think after 6 years, we could have gotten some more.
                        sigpic
                        sig by Mada
                        As a matter of FIC

Comment

It should be noted that interview was from 2000. The actors' opinions have evolved over time. For example, there's also an old quote from AT on that page about not wanting a romance between Jack and Sam. She has certainly changed her tune since then.

As for RDA being the one holding back the romance, as he pointed out in the full quote, Brad Wright had ultimate control. There were definitely times when he told RDA no. For example, RDA wanted O'Neill to learn that Laira had a child. BW said that would be wrong for the character.

RDA was adamant about showing proper respect for the military. The military advisors were adamant about there not being a romantic relationship between Jack and Sam. Thus, the regs became not just an excuse but an ironclad barrier as long as RDA was involved. I have no problem with that. I think they did it right.

RDA has said that he doesn't mind kissing AT; so as long as the situation was right I don't think he would complain.

My feelings about all this is that I like it when the actors agree with my prejudices about their characters, but especially at this point these characters have taken on a life of their own. There opinions really don't influence my views one way or the other.
                          Particularly AT. I think she empathized with the Shippers, knowing this is what we've wanted for so long and it just never happened. I think that's why, even today, when AT's asked about S/J, she's gracious and tries to give us what we wanted, even if it's just her talking about S/J being together.

I appreciate that about her.
                          sigpic
                          sig by Mada
                          As a matter of FIC

Comment

I find this all terribly depressing. I remember years ago, when I heard Amanda say "They should never be together" I was upset for days.
                            The password is fishing...

Comment

i think, if the ship had been confirmed the way i wanted (and was lead to believe it would from the ptb), i wouldn't really care one way or the other what the actors felt or thought on the matter.

with the ship, all i really want is sam and jack being confirmed.

i believe it could still happen. but i also believe the longer it takes, the less chance.
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post

Snipped to say

I tried to reply to your PM the other day, but it says your inbox is full.
                                sigpicRamonaThePest (you know, Henry Huggins' friend)

Comment

Working...
                                X