Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
    Just a warning for everyone, this story is DARK. I read it once and would not read it again. Not because it isn't well written--it is, but because it was way too much for me. So if you don't care for severe Sam Wump (including rape) I'd suggest you stay away from it.
    I like angst but with a limit. I usually walk away from a fic if rape is involved.
    sigpic
    My vids Sig made by me

Comment

Originally posted by XFchemist View Post
      I like angst but with a limit. I usually walk away from a fic if rape is involved.
      For me it really depends. I like my angst but too often traumatic stuff like rape is just glossed over the moment the victim (often Sam) is saved or gets away otherwise and will live happily ever after, so I only read it if it's well-written. I found the first chapter of Beyond the Night to be very cliche but also vaguely familiar (perhaps I've read it already a long time ago) and didn't read any further because I was already kinda bored reading through the prologue and doubt I could sit through another 79 chapters...

Does the writing get any better and a bit more... mature, perhaps? I noticed the A/N that said the fic was written over 4.5 years so it's possible this is the beginning and it'll get better with every chapter but I'm not willing to test that theory right now.
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
        For me it really depends. I like my angst but too often traumatic stuff like rape is just glossed over the moment the victim (often Sam) is saved or gets away otherwise and will live happily ever after, so I only read it if it's well-written. I found the first chapter of Beyond the Night to be very cliche but also vaguely familiar (perhaps I've read it already a long time ago) and didn't read any further because I was already kinda bored reading through the prologue and doubt I could sit through another 79 chapters...

Does the writing get any better and a bit more... mature, perhaps? I noticed the A/N that said the fic was written over 4.5 years so it's possible this is the beginning and it'll get better with every chapter but I'm not willing to test that theory right now.
        She definitely doesn't gloss over anything. I think it's a fic that would probably suit your tastes. Definitely not to mine.

Comment

I've not read this for a while, but I remember at the time I was really taken with it. The violence lasts for quite a long time as far as I remember, but I didn't have any real problems with the writing. I normally don't like rape in a fic either so it must have been dealt with fairly well for me to carry on reading. I think I was really touched by Jack in it and his attitude towards Sam as well. I'm afraid I can't be more specific than that! Like you said on the rec thread Fems, tastes can change over time, and I have a feeling this was one of the first longer fics I read about Sam and Jack so I could well have changed my mind since then! I will go back and re-read it at some point, but I'm just not sure when...
          Cake - an AU tale of secrets, lies, intrigue and Jack's favourite thing.

Chapter 1

Comment

Just to clarify: I was referring to the consequences and the aftermath, not the details of the actual rape and/or violence. I've read fics where such trauma has only been mentioned (no details or anything) but that handled the rest very well.

Anyway, I'll keep it in the back of my mind for possible future reading, when I can find the patience to read through it and can afford the time needed as well. Right now I'm more inclined to focus on my own writing and tend to read only short fics.
            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Just to clarify: I was referring to the consequences and the aftermath, not the details of the actual rape and/or violence. I've read fics where such trauma has only been mentioned (no details or anything) but that handled the rest very well.

Anyway, I'll keep it in the back of my mind for possible future reading, when I can find the patience to read through it and can afford the time needed as well. Right now I'm more inclined to focus on my own writing and tend to read only short fics.
              I was also talking about the aftermath, since that is what you mentioned in your earlier post. Like I said, I believe the fic was well written and the character's actions and reactions were believeable, it's just not the kind of thing I care to read about or dwell on.

I really need to get back to my own writing. I haven't been reading or writing much fic lately. But I'm leaving for the Vancouver Stargate convention in less than a week *does excited little happy dance* and I have so much to do!

Maybe when I get back I will have the time and inspiration to complete some of my WIPs. (No Sara, I haven't forgotten them. I'm just disorganized. )

Comment

I was also talking about the aftermath, since that is what you mentioned in your earlier post. Like I said, I believe the fic was well written and the character's actions and reactions were believeable, it's just not the kind of thing I care to read about or dwell on.
                What she said

I really need to get back to my own writing. I haven't been reading or writing much fic lately. But I'm leaving for the Vancouver Stargate convention in less than a week *does excited little happy dance* and I have so much to do!

Maybe when I get back I will have the time and inspiration to complete some of my WIPs. (No Sara, I haven't forgotten them. I'm just disorganized. )
                So jelly about Vancouver. Have a fantastic time!
                Cake - an AU tale of secrets, lies, intrigue and Jack's favourite thing.

Chapter 1

Comment

Iz almost jealous and will get over it only if you promise to report every good detail. Will AT be there?
                  sigpic
                  sig by Mada
                  As a matter of FIC

Comment

Originally posted by trinity3 View Post
                    Iz almost jealous and will get over it only if you promise to report every good detail. Will AT be there?
                    I'm sure I'll have plenty to report.

Unfortunately no AT. She will be in Calgary that weekend. But I will be meeting the First Shipper (aka CJ).

Comment

I'm sure I'll have plenty to report.

Unfortunately no AT. She will be in Calgary that weekend. But I will be meeting the First Shipper (aka CJ).
                      Ohh. Make sure to tell him that we miss him and to us he'll always be the first shipper and Teal'c of the Tau'ri That was a line from a fic my first friend of the thread wrote. (misses Madaline7)

What's AT been up to recently? Still no renewal of Sanctuary.
                      sigpic
                      sig by Mada
                      As a matter of FIC

Comment

Just a warning for everyone, this story is DARK. I read it once and would not read it again. Not because it isn't well written--it is, but because it was way too much for me. So if you don't care for severe Sam Wump (including rape) I'd suggest you stay away from it.
                        Thanks for the warning Hlndncr! Now I know I don't want to read it, so thanks for letting me know
                        sigpic
                        Made by the talented Meredithe5

Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility - Amanda Tapping

My Rainbow Run for Mila raised $2672.5 CAD for Sanctuary For Kids! Many thanks to everyone who donated in honour of my beloved niece https://www.facebook.com/RainbowRunForMila

Comment

I like your new avatar Fems!

Have fun in Vancouver, hlndncr!! <jealous!>

Comment

Originally posted by trinity3 View Post
                            Ohh. Make sure to tell him that we miss him and to us he'll always be the first shipper and Teal'c of the Tau'ri That was a line from a fic my first friend of the thread wrote. (misses Madaline7)

What's AT been up to recently? Still no renewal of Sanctuary.
                            From Amanda's Twitter feed

A couple of Tweets from Amanda

2nd day of prep on @PrimevalNewWrld. Amazing crew! Can't wait to play with the cast next week! And hopefully my beloved techno crane!
                            The return of TechnoTapping!
                            No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                            It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Flower View Post
                              So jelly about Vancouver. Have a fantastic time!
                              Speaking of Jelly, I bought two packs of berry blue yesturday and one of Jack's red let the jelly making commence!

Comment

Originally posted by picardythirds View Post
                                Speaking of Jelly, I bought two packs of berry blue yesturday and one of Jack's red let the jelly making commence!
                                The first christmas I was a fan of SG, i made blue jelly...which my family thought was so incredibly weird. "Why not Green and red?" My brother asked me.... my response? "What are you...nuts?!" lol
                                "You ended the world for me, because you believed I could bring it back." -unknown

Comment

Working...
                                X