No announcement yet.

Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh hey! I'm finally making it to post number 2000. Only took, let me see, carry the four...almost seven years. (That's including the GW glitch that ripped off a couple hundred posts but who cares, pshaw!)

So of course I shall commemorate this moment here since it's mostly the only place I post. *evilgrin*

Maybourne, you're an idiot every day of the week.
    Why couldn't you have just taken one day off?

Hey, hey, hey-ay-ay! Take it easy!

I'm so gonna kick your ass!

Aaaaaand...Sam and Jack bid farewell to Harry
    spoilered to reduce space
    Spoiler:

I can't abandon these people, Jack. I made a life here...
    I can't walk away from my home, my friends ... my wives.

Wives?!

to Go.

Dog!

Comment

Originally posted by Devilish Me View Post
      You know the other day I was checking ff.net to see how many stories there are in sg-1 section, and while most of the fandoms have around 3,000-5000 stories, sg-1 has 25,000 plus, Don't know how many are S&J but hey, it's still a crazy number compared to the rest.
      Of the 25,501 SG-1 stories in ff-net when applying filters for and there are 8.549 of which 7,617 are in English.
      No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
      It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

GIRL

Grace
        Janet
        Danielle
        Rachel
        Hanna
        Meghan
        Carter (poor girl!)
        Sarah (WTF?)
        Eleanor
        Jessica
        Ellyn
        Serin
        Anna
        Kate
        Elisabeth
        Kimberly
        Jaquelin
        Telcquette - or something like that - though, in all fairness, it was a crack fic.
        Jordan
        Linole
        Hope
        Nia
        Tally
        Charlene (Charli)
        Emma
        Eliana Rose
        Cheyenne
        Molly
        Lily
        Meggy
        Isabelle
        Abigail
        Caitlin
        Jamantha (Yes, really. It was an alien who named her baby after Sam and Jack.)
        Emily (this is Sam and Jack's daughter's name in my first fic)
        Charlotte (this is their daughter's name in my last fic)

BOY
        Jacob
        Jonathon
        Daniel
        Jackson
        David
        Simon
        Ben
        Carter
        Adam
        James
        William
        Charlie
        Luke
        Jacomb
        Danil
        Nathan (Nate)
        Jonathan George
        Liam
        Matthew
        Christopher
        Alex
        James and Jacob (they have twins in my second fic)

But I like these names too: Leslie, Arielle, Claudia and a very rare name: Cornelius.

Comment

With the slight exception of "Jamantha", all of these name options are better than "Renesmee". **shudders**

Everyone who has read "Twilight" will know what I mean.

Naming kids is hard--much harder than naming characters. When I named "Ben", I tried to find something that would fit into my own criteria for naming my own kids. I wanted to make sure that it was spelled normally (makes it easier in the long run), easily pronounceable (middle names, by the way, do not need to meet this one), and not corruptible on a playground. For example, I love the name "Luke", but it easily becomes "Puke" or "Lucas" can be made into "Mucus". If there is a chance of that happening, the kid doesn't get the name. I would imagine that Sam would think about the same things, given that her name "means that her father wanted a boy". That kind of thing sticks with you--you wouldn't want your kids to have the same hang up about their names. Also, the name (middle name and all) has to flow when yelled--you wouldn't want to trip over your child's name when yelling at them to get down off the chef's counter at the restaurant, for example, or when letting them know that it's not okay to lick that other child on the playground.

Sadly, I didn't have this same rule system when I named #1 child. I was watching a brand new TV show at the time and really enjoyed the angst of it, and we liked the characters' names, too. Well, we named our oldest after the title character, and then were horrified when the second season turned into something less than family friendly and really rather awful. We have since (when asked) informed people that his name is a "family name". Lesson learned!
          sigpic
          My Stories: FFdotNet
          My Stories AO3
          Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
            I've always thought that Sam's mother's name was "Thea" or something like unto. In "Jolinar's Memories" when they find Jacob, he mutters something like "Thea" which is what draws Sam's attention to him. I'm thinking that she knew it was her dad moaning because he (like Jack calling for Sara when he was losing consciousness in "Solitudes") called his dead wife's name. I think that hearing Sam's voice would have jarred Jacob's thought process towards his wife, and he called out for her in his delirium.

Some people say that what he says sounds like "Sam", but i have listened to it dozens of times and never heard that.

So, in my mind, Sam's mother's name was "Thea".
            I hear "Tham" and then a second time "Tha", like he didn't finish saying her name. He only said it after hearing Sam talking to Martouf and Jack. I do like your thought process though.

For Sam's mother's name...maybe, the popular ones around that time...Mary, Linda or Barbara. No, Linda, that's my MIL's name. *shivers*

Originally posted by UhSir View Post
            Oh hey! I'm finally making it to post number 2000. Only took, let me see, carry the four...almost seven years. (That's including the GW glitch that ripped off a couple hundred posts but who cares, pshaw!)

So of course I shall commemorate this moment here since it's mostly the only place I post. *evilgrin*

Congrats! So are you going to upgrade your avatar/icon to a new Maybourne one? If you didn't have Maybourne, I would be so confused.
            sigpic
            I used to trek amongst the stars, now I gate to them

Comment

Originally posted by Treknik View Post
              I hear "Tham" and then a second time "Tha", like he didn't finish saying her name. He only said it after hearing Sam talking to Martouf and Jack. I do like your thought process though.

Because in my world, Sam sounds just like her mother (people tell me all the time how much I sound like my mom). The sound of her voice triggers the memories in Jacob, and he calls out for his wife. I've never heard "Sam" when Jacob speaks there--I've always heard that utterance as "Thea".
              sigpic
              My Stories: FFdotNet
              My Stories AO3
              Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

With the slight exception of "Jamantha", all of these name options are better than "Renesmee". **shudders**
                I may be the only one that does, but I kinda like the name "Esme".

And adding to the list of names seen in fics is "Margaret", whom Jack promptly labeled 'Maggie May". I like that name a lot, but then I'm prejudiced, since it was my Mom's name and is my middle name.

Oh, and we can also add "Anna" to the list, since there's a fic titled "Where's Anna?" (who is, of course, Sam and Jack's daughter). I'm also somewhat partial to that, since it was my Aunt's name.

Comment

Originally posted by UhSir View Post

Maybourne, you're an idiot every day of the week.
                  Why couldn't you have just taken one day off?

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/...hold/idiot.jpg

Hey, hey, hey-ay-ay! Take it easy!
                  http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/...didntshoot.jpg

I'm so gonna kick your ass!
                  http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/...ogonnakick.jpg

Aaaaaand...Sam and Jack bid farewell to Harry
                  spoilered to reduce space

Congrats!

Are you going to change your avatar? (I'll be so confused )
                  sigpic
                  Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                    How do you pronounce Esme? I know a couple of Esmees IRL but that's pronounced "es-may" and is considered a fairly common name.
                    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

-snip-

Sadly, I didn't have this same rule system when I named #1 child. I was watching a brand new TV show at the time and really enjoyed the angst of it, and we liked the characters' names, too. Well, we named our oldest after the title character, and then were horrified when the second season turned into something less than family friendly and really rather awful. We have since (when asked) informed people that his name is a "family name". Lesson learned!
                      I won't start on Twilight (except to say that its rise in popularity forced me to change my handle. GAH! It will never be forgiven for that.).

I am curious now...what is your child's name?? LOL

While IRL Sam's mom's name could be just about anything, when writing, I try to think of how can it happen so as best not to jar the reader. That's why I picked Angela. It's a decent, innocuous name that fits the time period (really, that's it, I picked something that was both common and simple). I don't want the reader stopping on the name and going "??" I would probably be jarred with the name "Thea" - not that it's not a valid name, but with the cadence of a story, I don't want any stray notes. I need Sam's mom to blend into the background. (In the story I listed her name as Angela Rice Carter - Rice was my grandmother's maiden name and I needed something on the fly that flowed with Angela and Carter and fit the bill for the old school moving the last name to the middle name deal).

That was my logic, but in another story, I might pick something completely different because the story is different. Same thing with kids names in a story (should I ever actually do a kid!fic, may it never be). I prefer to pick names that are boring, background names because I don't want to hit the reader broad side.

Comment

I always avoid calling Sam's mother by any name. Then again, she doesn't usually come up a lot in my fics. Who does show up from time to time is Mark and his family. I really wish we'd been told his wife's name and their kids (as well as their age).
                        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                          How do you pronounce Esme? I know a couple of Esmees IRL but that's pronounced "es-may" and is considered a fairly common name.
                          I have no idea how it's pronounced, but I've been pronouncing it as "Ez-me".

Comment

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post
                            That was my logic, but in another story, I might pick something completely different because the story is different. Same thing with kids names in a story (should I ever actually do a kid!fic, may it never be). I prefer to pick names that are boring, background names because I don't want to hit the reader broad side.
                            This is good advice to fic writers! It may be a perfectly good story, but I am sometimes "turned-off" by a story if the name is something silly or something I think they would never name their child. I admit I've done a search/replace with fics to change kid names to ones I like, that way I enjoy the story more

Comment

That's how I've always heard it too.

Congrats! So are you going to upgrade your avatar/icon to a new Maybourne one? If you didn't have Maybourne, I would be so confused.
                              Originally posted by yessika View Post
                              Congrats!
                              Are you going to change your avatar? (I'll be so confused )
                              Thanks everybody!
                              I'd be confused too!
                              I may be tempted to switch out to other scruffy Maybourne avatars though.

Comment

*snip*
                                *cringe*

I soooo agree. Why the author thought this was a name worth writing is beyond me.

Originally posted by hedwig View Post

*snip*
                                I actually really like the name too but just not when its combined with Renee! ugh
                                sigpic Gets better with age!

Conventions:
                                Creation Vancouver SG Con 2009 - 2010 - 2011 - 2012
                                GateCon Vancouver 2011
                                Creation Chicago SG Con 2013 - 2014

Comment

Working...
                                X