Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
    question: if sam's mom had lived i wonder if she would've approved of Jack O'Neill cause we saw how jacob was with jack, it makes me wonder what Mrs. Carter would've thought of the former black ops soldier.
    While she likely didn't know all that Jacob did in the military, she was a military wife, and knew there were people who did jobs like Jack did. Given that all that was past history for him, I think she would have liked him. I'm pretty sure he could have charmed her right off the bat.

Comment

question: if sam's mom had lived i wonder if she would've approved of Jack O'Neill cause we saw how jacob was with jack, it makes me wonder what Mrs. Carter would've thought of the former black ops soldier.
      I always wondered if Sam would have joined the military if her mother survived. I always thought the AU Sam that didn't join the AF grew up with a mother. Just a thought. We saw what influence Jacob could have with her when he wanted her to join NASA. If Mrs. Carter was alive, would Sam have gone a different path? What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by gater62 View Post
        I quite agree. I thought Sally Malcolm's (?) books were good (she wrote FF as Sally Reeve), and others were mainly okay. Some were downright awful! But we have some amazing writers here on this thread that should be writing the books--Pol, Jenn, AstraPerAspera, Leiasky, and many others!
        I haven't read any of the books, though I did hear the new Atlantis ones are really good. Some good subtext where Sam and Jack are concerned. I just haven't had much time to read lately and even less time to write my own fic. So I have to settle for beta'ing Pol's when she needs it...which really isn't as often as she may make people think.

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
        With all due respect hlndncr, this is a discussion for the artworkers that frequent the thread in question, since it doesn't affect anyone else
        I actually do have to agree with this. I stopped visiting the thread because I just didn't have time to wade through the flood of all of the non- Sam/Jack related works. Though some are amazingly composed and downright beautiful, I just couldn't spend the time wading through it all to see the stuff I was actually interested in. I found it easier to leave them to their loves and eventually the S/J folks would post their works here in the S/J thread (I hope).
        sigpic
        Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post

I actually do have to agree with this. I stopped visiting the thread because I just didn't have time to wade through the flood of all of the non- Sam/Jack related works. Though some are amazingly composed and downright beautiful, I just couldn't spend the time wading through it all to see the stuff I was actually interested in. I found it easier to leave them to their loves and eventually the S/J folks would post their works here in the S/J thread (I hope).
          Thank you I'm sure all of those that make S/J artworks will continue to post them here - in fact I will put that suggestion forward to them

Comment

Originally posted by Lucycat View Post
            I always wondered if Sam would have joined the military if her mother survived. I always thought the AU Sam that didn't join the AF grew up with a mother. Just a thought. We saw what influence Jacob could have with her when he wanted her to join NASA. If Mrs. Carter was alive, would Sam have gone a different path? What do you think?
            who knows. i think Mrs. Carter would've been proud of whatever Sam did, as long as She was happy. and i think sam joining the stargate program was the best thing for her.
            Last edited by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard; 11 June 2011, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
              My fellow shippers, I would like to bring an issue to your attention that may be of interest to you as members of the Sam/Jack Ship family. As you know, we have a whole family of threads on the GateWorld Forum that support the Sam/Jack Ship and provide a friendly and welcoming place for S/J shippers to enjoy. (There are also some unrelated but ship friendly threads such as Mala’s World, and shipper spin-offs like the WooHoos.)

Some of the most active S/J threads include:

Sam Carter/Jack O’Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Sam Carter/Jack O’Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Sam and Jack shipper lounge

Jack/Sam Fic Recs

Secrets on how to make artwork of the Sam/Jack ship family thread

It is this last thread that brings me to you today. There has been proposal on the S/J artwork thread that it become disassociated from the ship by dropping the “Sam/Jack ship family” from the thread’s name.

I believe all S/J shippers, whether you create fan art or not, should be involved in this decision.

Some of the reasons that have been put forward in favor of the change are:

1) All artwork has always been welcome on the thread and the name may discourage non-shippers from participating

2) S/J art is now in a minority on the thread as former S/J shippers have moved on to other interests

3) The thread has not been as active of late and the change in name may revitalize the thread

The arguments against the change are:

1) There is already a general artwork thread that offers many of the same things without the S/J focus, making a second general thread redundant and unnecessary.

2) Eliminating the S/J disassociates the thread from the ship and sends a message that the S/J ship is no longer supported.

3) Changing the name ignores the history and origin of the thread. It came into existence because of Sam/Jack and that is what makes it original and different.

4) S/J art is not prevalent on other threads because it may not be kindly received. As a part of the ship family of threads a specific S/J artwork thread is a place that S/J shippers know they will receive a ship friendly welcome. This can be particularly important to newer shippers who may already feel uncomfortable and intimidated by a general forum.

5) A name change would not significantly increase activity on the thread, but does, however, have the potential of alienating a core audience, namely the S/J shippers.

I am strongly opposed to the name change and feel that as S/J shippers we should support the S/J art thread in its current format and name. Regardless of your position, I would encourage all shippers to share your opinion on this issue and participate in the discussion.

Moreover, I implore all shippers to visit the art thread frequently and offer your contributions.

For those who are making fan art, please post your creations there. For those who are interested in learning to make art, ask questions and seek advice. (We can also help with questions about posting and sharing art on the forum.)

For those interested in viewing more S/J art, make suggestions for S/J related challenges. Request signatures, avatars, wallpapers, etc. with S/J themes.

In all cases come and offer encouragement and praise of all the artists on the thread for all of the beautiful creations presented.

Thanks shippers for all your kindness and support of one another and the OTP that is Sam & Jack!

And never forget + = 4∞
              i don't want the name change either. i feel we'll be bullied out of our own thread.

how about making it - Artwork of Sam/Jack (and others) Thread.

it lets other artists know they can post there, but also makes it very clear that s/j belongs and can't be pushed out.
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the recomendations on the Fandamonium books, I think I'll just stick to fanfic and shippy goodness! *grin*
                Thanks for another awesome Campfire Pol!

Comment

With all due respect hlndncr, this is a discussion for the artworkers that frequent the thread in question, since it doesn't affect anyone else
                  With all due respect I disagree. You contend you want everyone to feel welcome there and then you come here and say that all the shippers who may have had an interest in visiting the thread should butt out. If that is the attitude that is being conveyed than I think I would want to reconsider my association with the thread myself.

It is a ship family thread, at least for now, and therefore the ship family should have some input, or at least be informed as to where it is going.

Comment

who knows. i think Mrs. Carter would've been proud of whatever Sam did, as long as She was happy. and i think sam joining the stargate program was the best thing for her.
                    I agree, but I was referring to her joining the Air Force not the SGC. I have no doubt Sam would have been involved with Stargate command weather she was in the AF or a civilian scientist and her mom would have been proud either way. Just thought that she may not have joined the Air Force if the Mother had lived... but who knows, it's all speculation... and perhaps fanfic idea

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                      i don't want the name change either. i feel we'll be bullied out of our own thread.

how about making it - Artwork of Sam/Jack (and others) Thread.

it lets other artists know they can post there, but also makes it very clear that s/j belongs and can't be pushed out.
                      I fear some of the bullying has already begun.

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
                        Er...okay, I won't tell you that.

But I will tell you the new Campfire is up. <grin>
                        Another campfire? Awesome!! It seems like just yesterday that I read the chapter for WoO ... wait a minute, it was yesterday! Thanks for being so prolific! Will this be a lovely trend for the summer?

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                          Love Trace Adkins! I saw him in concert a few years ago. I have a "thing" for tall rough looking guys. Hubba hubba.
                          This song reminds me of the last chapter of my first long fic (link here), where Jack is fishing on the dock with his daughter.
                          But Trace is awesome. I also love his song, "Arlington". One of the best tributes to the Military, IMO.
                          That was a beautiful chapter, AKA -your writing is excellent. When I'm not stretched for time I'm going to go back and read the whole thing. Every time 'Just Fishin' comes on the radio I just...kinda slip into Jack & daughter daydream land .

a daughter of the O'Neill-Carter Genetics probably would give the boys a run for her money either that or her father would drive them away considering she's is daddy's little girl.
                          Oh...Yeah... can you imagine the terror that Jack could instill in a teenage boy? On a similar idea -has anyone seen a good fic on Jack scaring Cassie's boyfriend? That would be great! The team are so like a group of parents to her.

I don't think the military connection would have concerned her as much as their age difference. I think that she would have mainly wanted to be sure that her daughter was LOVED... and in that case Jack would have won her right over. In 'Threads' it seemed Jacob was telling Sam that he gives his blessing on them and not to settle for (he who should not be named).

Originally posted by Lucycat View Post
                          I agree that her mom living may have changed her choices -she may have not joined the Airforce.

Thank you I'm sure all of those that make S/J artworks will continue to post them here - in fact I will put that suggestion forward to them
                          I didn't know about the artwork thread -I'll go visit! .
                          sigpic
                          sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                          "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Kate1013 View Post
                            True! I haven't done a complete rewatch in a while, and honestly, who doesn't skip that episode? Especially as I tend to live in fluff clouds pretty much most of the time
                            With you there, I too live in fluff clouds

Originally posted by JingleBelle View Post
                            Perhaps this is slightly off topic, but has anyone read any of the SG-1 books that have been published? Do they do the series justice, or should I just save my money and stick to the excellent fanfic that you guys write?
                            I've got most of them and most of them are rubbish, fanfic is sooo much better

How could he fail? :0)

Comment

==> <== Love these guys!!

Comment

Small thought-provoking question:

I was re-watching the movie, and during the meeting where Daniel is showing them how he figured out the Stargate...Sam had been working on it for 2 years. I know that the character of Sam Carter had not been invented by the writers at this point, but after COTG it was obvious she was VERY involved in the program. So...knowing that now...can you come up with a reasonable explaination as to why she wasn't at that meeting? She could have flown in with Gen. West and staff.

I have alterior motive...I'm working on a fic and the question just occured to me. As far as we know was there anything else going on in her life that would have prevented her from being there?
                                sigpic
                                sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                                "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Working...
                                X