Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lilac736 View Post
    I don't get Janet/Daniel either. I like my ship to be canon and I just can't see anything that hints in this direction (come on, there really is only “Rite of Passage” where you could possibly see something, if you are really looking for it; one scene in seven seasons, that’s not enough for me). But you are right, to each it’s own. My policy: If I don’t like it, I don’t go there. This always worked best for me so far.

What really stumped me is that some of the anti-shippers feel that by broaching the issue of Sam and Jack and their feelings for each other, the show degenerates to a Soap Opera and that this kind of stuff has no place in a Sci-Fi-show! I don’t get it, I know SG-1 is not a character driven show, but the characters would be pretty one-dimensional if they did not show emotions. Or maybe it’s just the romantic feelings that should not be shown. It’s a bit childish in my opinion. And SG-1 has always been so low-key with any of the shippy stuff anyway. Oh, and apparently there is absolutely no chemistry between Sam and Jack whatsoever, I’m not sure I saw the same show as these guys.
    Spoiler:
    and Lifeboat ... and 2010 ... and Heroes ... and Ripple Effect (see sig for example) ... and actor confirmation ...

But I digress.

GUESS WHAT!!!
    JACK AND SAM ARE...
    Spoiler:
    SO MARRIED!!!

sigpic
    The Return of King Arthur
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
    acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

I don't get Janet/Daniel either. I like my ship to be canon and I just can't see anything that hints in this direction (come on, there really is only “Rite of Passage” where you could possibly see something, if you are really looking for it; one scene in seven seasons, that’s not enough for me). But you are right, to each it’s own. My policy: If I don’t like it, I don’t go there. This always worked best for me so far.

What really stumped me is that some of the anti-shippers feel that by broaching the issue of Sam and Jack and their feelings for each other, the show degenerates to a Soap Opera and that this kind of stuff has no place in a Sci-Fi-show! I don’t get it, I know SG-1 is not a character driven show, but the characters would be pretty one-dimensional if they did not show emotions. Or maybe it’s just the romantic feelings that should not be shown. It’s a bit childish in my opinion. And SG-1 has always been so low-key with any of the shippy stuff anyway. Oh, and apparently there is absolutely no chemistry between Sam and Jack whatsoever, I’m not sure I saw the same show as these guys.
      If SG1 had gone down the Soap Opera route, Sam and Jack would have screwed the regs by now and had an illicit affair. Love triangles would have been all over the show and someone would have gotten pregnant with the wrong guy's baby... Or at least that's my experience of soap operas (And I'm a sucker for aussie soaps!)

Having two characters fall in love happens across all sorts of genres why should sci-fi be any different? Especially if its carefully done like with S/J. I didn't feel it took away from the show at all - evidenced by the fact that they've danced around the issue for so long that we still don't have confirmation!

And if we're talking sci-fi, hello Star Trek?! And they always stick in a gorgeous women to boost the ratings

Okay, this is why I don't venture there....

Comment

I think Daniel/Janet was a bit like what AT suggested about Teal'c and Sam in "Unending". You could see it or not as you chose. Plus, if I remember correctly, there was an interview with Teryl Rothery where she said that she and MS had talked about relationships and decided to put a little extra "caring" between their two characters to suggest there might be something more between them than just friends.

Comment

Originally posted by parsifal View Post
          Did everyone else see this pile of gold that Mallozzi's hoarding? SG-1 dailies, including some from "Window of Opportunity".

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...te-themselves/

I read about that. I hope MGM realizes what a goldmine it is to hardcore fans and release some kind of bonus dvd at some point.

Though, as I understand it, Rick is a real picky guy and he may have approval over this kind of material.
          sigpic
          Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by Kate1013 View Post
            If SG1 had gone down the Soap Opera route, Sam and Jack would have screwed the regs by now and had an illicit affair. Love triangles would have been all over the show and someone would have gotten pregnant with the wrong guy's baby... Or at least that's my experience of soap operas
            thats right - SG1 is definitely no soap opera! I can't stand soap opera's. They usually have really bad acting going on and no chemistry between the characters at all.
            I usually make fun of people that are into soaps - like my Dad! He loves watching german soaps (I know it's so weird - maybe that's why I'm desperately trying to find a date for him)

I always had to defend Babylon5 on that too. Lot's of people I know said, its boring because it's like a soap opera in space.
            It's not - and anybody who actually saw the full story will agree with me.
            And if I compare B5 with SG1 (which is not really possible anyways) - SG1 is even less of a soap than B5.

Oh, and apparently there is absolutely no chemistry between Sam and Jack whatsoever, I’m not sure I saw the same show as these guys.
            yep, they definitely saw a different show.
            sigpic

Comment

If SG1 had gone down the Soap Opera route, Sam and Jack would have screwed the regs by now and had an illicit affair. Love triangles would have been all over the show and someone would have gotten pregnant with the wrong guy's baby... Or at least that's my experience of soap operas (And I'm a sucker for aussie soaps!)

Having two characters fall in love happens across all sorts of genres why should sci-fi be any different? Especially if its carefully done like with S/J. I didn't feel it took away from the show at all - evidenced by the fact that they've danced around the issue for so long that we still don't have confirmation!

And if we're talking sci-fi, hello Star Trek?! And they always stick in a gorgeous women to boost the ratings

Okay, this is why I don't venture there....
              This is where I think that Stargate truly excels, in my opinion. Sam, (AT, of course, one of the most beautiful women ever) is treated as a team member, and not merely as a body to be dressed and a face to be filmed. She's rarely seen out of her BDUs, her hair is never coiffed, she's a little awkward--there's no siren or vixen in her. That's why it felt so wrong for her in the Pete episodes to be all sexed up. (I'm talking her outfit and the way they treated her camera-wise.) That isn't Sam Carter for me. She's not a Seven of Nine, or a Counselor Troy. She's not a Cam (in Bones) or any of those other hot women who dress hot. Of course, her initial entrance is meant to be enticing--the backlit silhouette, with the formfitting uniform and all. But she quickly morphs into a hero-worshipping soldier girl.

I hated the addition of Anise--it seemed that she only came on to be female in a short skirt and showcased cleavage. I saw no point for her being so provocative, and thought that she could have been a better character had she not been written to be "trouble".
              sigpic
              My Stories: FFdotNet
              My Stories AO3
              Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                This is where I think that Stargate truly excels, in my opinion. Sam, (AT, of course, one of the most beautiful women ever) is treated as a team member, and not merely as a body to be dressed and a face to be filmed. She's rarely seen out of her BDUs, her hair is never coiffed, she's a little awkward--there's no siren or vixen in her. That's why it felt so wrong for her in the Pete episodes to be all sexed up. (I'm talking her outfit and the way they treated her camera-wise.) That isn't Sam Carter for me. She's not a Seven of Nine, or a Counselor Troy. She's not a Cam (in Bones) or any of those other hot women who dress hot. Of course, her initial entrance is meant to be enticing--the backlit silhouette, with the formfitting uniform and all. But she quickly morphs into a hero-worshipping soldier girl.

I hated the addition of Anise--it seemed that she only came on to be female in a short skirt and showcased cleavage. I saw no point for her being so provocative, and thought that she could have been a better character had she not been written to be "trouble".
                I agree with this! (I realised I missed out the word 'just' to boost ratings as AT is annoyingly beautiful AND nice!) Though I thought she always looked incredibly awkward when dressed up with Pete, not because Sam doesn't do 'sexy' but because she does it in a different way - think leather and high heeled boots! The initial entrance is all about that, in a way too I think, though she was in a different place emotionally.

And Anise was so the 'Seven of Nine' character here. I think they could have explored Freya's personality a bit more if they wanted to. But I remember reading that, at the time the episodes aired, there was a lot of backlash from fans about her character and so she was never brought back. Although I was watching it back then, I wasn't part of the online fandom so I have no idea how true that is or not.

Comment

And Anise was so the 'Seven of Nine' character here. I think they could have explored Freya's personality a bit more if they wanted to. But I remember reading that, at the time the episodes aired, there was a lot of backlash from fans about her character and so she was never brought back. Although I was watching it back then, I wasn't part of the online fandom so I have no idea how true that is or not.
                  I believe she was intended to be a love interest for Jack but Rick didn't approve so it didn't happen.

It would have been completely out of character for Jack to be romantically interested in a Tokra considering the disdain he has for the snakies.
                  sigpic
                  Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                    I believe she was intended to be a love interest for Jack but Rick didn't approve so it didn't happen.

It would have been completely out of character for Jack to be romantically interested in a Tokra considering the disdain he has for the snakies.
                    That just makes me shudder.

Comment

What about Daniel? I love his exclaim of "oh me too!" when Anise mentions archeology! lol

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post

Ewwwwwww. Icky.

I just remember listening to the commentary on that episode and thinking, "Yep. This show is run by men.". Thank heavens RDA kept his wits about him.
                        sigpic
                        My Stories: FFdotNet
                        My Stories AO3
                        Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

I agree with this! (I realised I missed out the word 'just' to boost ratings as AT is annoyingly beautiful AND nice!) Though I thought she always looked incredibly awkward when dressed up with Pete, not because Sam doesn't do 'sexy' but because she does it in a different way - think leather and high heeled boots! The initial entrance is all about that, in a way too I think, though she was in a different place emotionally.

Exactly!
                          Spoiler:

This is Sam (at least IMO):

And even if this is AU or alternate timeline, it feels very Sam to me:

This on the other hand is

And it's not as if she can't dress up nicely

Oh and don't get me started on Anise; that's wrong on so many levels!!
                          sigpic

Comment

Exactly!
                            Spoiler:

This is Sam (at least IMO):

And even if this is AU or alternate timeline, it feels very Sam to me:

This on the other hand is

And it's not as if she can't dress up nicely

Oh and don't get me started on Anise; that's wrong on so many levels!!
                            I love her whole outfit from upgrades - especially the hair - it really suits her.

Comment

I love her whole outfit from upgrades - especially the hair - it really suits her.
                              i loved that hair too.

i could see her sanctuary character with a style like that. even that color
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                                i loved that hair too.

i could see her sanctuary character with a style like that. even that color
                                Actually I love her hair in late season four and season five! She really is looking great in 2010.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X