No announcement yet.

Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going back a little ways in the discussion, because I've been busy and lazy both at the same time:

I will not be nice to . I think he's an arse! And he was unnecessary. Sam didn't need to have a bad relationship to realize she belonged with Jack. And I'm with Sally, at the end of Grace I thought Sam had decided to wait for Jack. Then comes along and just hangs on like a fart in an elevator.

And I love Entity! I adore the angst. It's sooooo shippy. Jack does what he must to protect the base and it's what Sam would expect of him and what she would want him to do. (Especially after already going through a similar experience being taken over by Jolinar.) But then when Jack has done what was right (something even Hammond was worried he might not be able to do because of his feelings for Sam) he won't leave her and he can't let her go.

I find it especially telling that Janet comes to Jack and tells him it's time. Then she lets him make the decision to wait. Most durable powers of attorney in medical matters are granted to close family members or spouses. I would think Sam's would probably name her dad (and perhaps Mark as the secondary agent), not her CO. But they give Jack time and space to say his goodbye.

That seems awfully pro-ship to me, at least that's the way I choose to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kate1013 View Post
      That cafe scene was really quite corny. I wonder if the writers were trying to show that Sam had a playful side but didn't really pull it off?

And I think I've blocked the scene of them against the wall out of my mind, as although I remember it vaguely, I don't remember it being that explicit. And certainly don't want to rewatch it right now!

Despite finding the whole Pete storyline acceptable in certain terms (in relation to Sam's situation at the time) I'm not a huge fan of that episode. It could have been written better IMO.
      What was it Joe M. called that cafe scene--cloying? Or maybe it was the whole relationship. I do know that my toes were almost curling in embarrassment for them in the cafe scene at the dialogue--and these aren't even real people! (Though sometimes I have to remind myself of that)

Comment

Originally posted by starlover View Post
        Since we were talking about merchandize earlier today...I was looking for some SG stuff(namely a hoody since I don't have enough) and remembered Cafepress again...they have some fun stuff that some of the old shippers made S/J merchandise. Definitely worth to look!
        Oooh ... I saw a tote bag on that site with a penguin on the side, and a quote that says "Too Much Time, Not Enough Ship". I may have to order that since I've evidently lost/misplaced/left behind somewhere my Nature Conservancy tote bag that I've had for many years that I've used for small purchases everywhere for a long time. It has always just been perfect for small items; it's been my substitute for plastic bags everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
          Thank you for saying this. I don't actually like "Entity" (maybe just because of how emotional it is), but I don't dislike it either. It's very hard for me to watch. However, I don't know that I'd agree with the "satisfying the anti-shipper" comment. I think it was more to show how far Jack would go to do his job, despite his feelings for Sam.
          Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
          Going back a little ways in the discussion, because I've been busy and lazy both at the same time:

I will not be nice to . I think he's an arse! And he was unnecessary. Sam didn't need to have a bad relationship to realize she belonged with Jack. And I'm with Sally, at the end of Grace I thought Sam had decided to wait for Jack. Then comes along and just hangs on like a fart in an elevator.
          Or perhaps *the* elevator. Now I'm just picturing the scene between Jack and Sam.

What's his name?
          Pete Shanahan. He's a cop.
          Speeding again?
          Set up. Pathetic, I know.
          No, it's great. I'm just happy you're happy about something other than...quarks.
          Long...awkward...pause...
          So. What's that smell?

And I love Entity! I adore the angst. It's sooooo shippy. Jack does what he must to protect the base and it's what Sam would expect of him and what she would want him to do. (Especially after already going through a similar experience being taken over by Jolinar.) But then when Jack has done what was right (something even Hammond was worried he might not be able to do because of his feelings for Sam) he won't leave her and he can't let her go.

I find it especially telling that Janet comes to Jack and tells him it's time. Then she lets him make the decision to wait. Most durable powers of attorney in medical matters are granted to close family members or spouses. I would think Sam's would probably name her dad (and perhaps Mark as the secondary agent), not her CO. But they give Jack time and space to say his goodbye.

I totally agree. Where I see where hedwig is coming from, I love this episode. I love how close Jack always is to Sam; he's by her when she's first taken over, he's there when the entity first regains consciousness, he's sitting with her after she died, and he's the first one to her bedside after it's all over. I've always felt that the episode was written specifically for Jack and Sam. Not that Daniel, Janet, and Teal'c are not important, they just don't show their reactions like they do for Jack.
          sigpic
          The Return of King Arthur
          Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
          acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

So I just finished reading this sweet little ficlet, Lonely Companionship, and I was thinking about how many shippy scenes have been cut short in episodes so that we really don't know what happened next (the "Feeling Feelings" scene in "Beneath the Surface", the hugs in "Heroes" and "Fire and Water"). They're all canonical moments, but it's sad to think that we didn't actually see all of the shippy moments that they could have offered. I would have loved to see Sam's confession in "Divide and Conquer" or Jack carrying Sam in "Metamorphosis". Instead, all we can do is speculate (and write fic! )
            sigpic
            The Return of King Arthur
            Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
            acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Catching up as well... Didn't feel like quoting. It would have been too long. ;P

Cafepress has some awesome stuff. The best S/J stuff I bought is that mug with Pol's design. (It was Pol, right? o.o) I smile every morning I drink in it.

I agree with hlndncr on Entity. I love that episode and the angst. Could copy/paste her post, but suffice to say it's one of my favourite episodes I think.

SJShipper93 - You have a point about one thing, and I find it's the same in many TV Shows. We see a shippy moment, but it has no end. We never know what happens after the cute/ the awkward/the meaningful look. It's frustrating!

EDIT: On your fic rec - it's lovely! I love what Passionate Cec' does.
              Spoiler:
              She has cool Sanctuary Helen/John story too! I don't remember who asked for recs a couple of weeks ago, but she has great ones. I love her Piano Series.
              sigpic
              Live Peace. Speak Kindness. Dwell in possibility.
              My Livejournal. | My fanfictions. | My videos. | My twitter.
              Beautiful avi and sig are birthday presents fom josiane!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyGalaxyJ View Post

Cafepress has some awesome stuff. The best S/J stuff I bought is that mug with Pol's design. (It was Pol, right? o.o) I smile every morning I drink in it.

]
                Yup. Mine.
                Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
                  Yup. Mine.
                  Well, know that you brighten my day every morning that's too early for my taste.

On-Topic:

Er.... x100000

'Nuff said.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post
                    So I just finished reading this sweet little ficlet, Lonely Companionship,
                    great fic - so little conversation and they still share so much!

Originally posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post
                    and I was thinking about how many shippy scenes have been cut short in episodes so that we really don't know what happened next (the "Feeling Feelings" scene in "Beneath the Surface", the hugs in "Heroes" and "Fire and Water"). They're all canonical moments, but it's sad to think that we didn't actually see all of the shippy moments that they could have offered. I would have loved to see Sam's confession in "Divide and Conquer" or Jack carrying Sam in "Metamorphosis". Instead, all we can do is speculate (and write fic! )
                    But isn't that why we are all here, why there is so much great fanfiction out there? It makes people creative. If you don't show it onscreen, viewers have to interpret and thats why the emotion is even stronger than if you see it on screen.

OT explanation
                    Spoiler:
                    I took a class in school once about "how movies are made" (but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, because that class was a long time ago and our teacher was an Austrian movie maker, so probably not to compare with any US standards). He took the movie BlairWitchProject as an example (which was obviously new back then), that people with strong imagination, got scared even though they only showed people running through the woods with a shaky camera.
                    So its more important to not show everything, so you can activate the viewers imaginations and creativity, which is sometimes a lot stronger than anything they can show on sceen.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pointoforigin View Post
                      OT explanation
                      Spoiler:
                      I took a class in school once about "how movies are made" (but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, because that class was a long time ago and our teacher was an Austrian movie maker, so probably not to compare with any US standards). He took the movie BlairWitchProject as an example (which was obviously new back then), that people with strong imagination, got scared even though they only showed people running through the woods with a shaky camera.
                      So its more important to not show everything, so you can activate the viewers imaginations and creativity, which is sometimes a lot stronger than anything they can show on sceen.
                      OT Filming

Spoiler:
                      I actually with you on this. Growing up as a teenager I used to love watching horror films, only now I'm older I can't stand most of them! Gore for the sake of gore just isn't interesting, and more often disgusting rather than scary. I much prefer horror films or shows where you can't see what's happening, and they build up the suspense and mystery surrounding it. I liked Blair Witch for that very reason (and the fact that some of it was improvisation as they filmed).

I don't think this should apply to on screen shippyness though! And normally it's just so that tv people have a get out clause so that it can just roll onto the next episode without many consequences.

Comment

Seems as if we don’t see eye to eye on the whole Pete and “Entity” issue! But I just read your post about “Zero Hour” on the discussion thread and at least we are in agreement there! One of the best episodes in ten years of SG-1.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pointoforigin View Post
                          great fic - so little conversation and they still share so much!

But isn't that why we are all here, why there is so much great fanfiction out there? It makes people creative. If you don't show it onscreen, viewers have to interpret and thats why the emotion is even stronger than if you see it on screen.

OT explanation
                          Spoiler:
                          I definitly agree on the imagination part. There are many great fanfiction out there dealing with these missing moments. It's really great! I like interpreting, but with a ship? ... I would also like to see a bit more than what were shown. But that goes for about every show and not only SG.

Tough I understand why they have to cut the scene.
                          sigpic

Comment

Actually getting ahead of the game.

Finished my February calendar. The theme for the month should be pretty obvious, and I hope you notice I added an important holiday that for some reason the regular calendar makers of the world always seem to miss.

Comment

Finished my February calendar. The theme for the month should be pretty obvious, and I hope you notice I added an important holiday that for some reason the regular calendar makers of the world always seem to miss.

Love it! I could stare at that calendar all day!
                              sigpic
                              My Stories: FFdotNet
                              My Stories AO3
                              Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af243/hlndncr/Photoshop%20Art/th_February2011.jpg
                                Nice!

Ooohh and I watched Death Knell yesterday evening! I skipped through the whole Jaffa/Tok'ra/human alliance part, but other than that I love that episode. Plus the ending is so sweet! *happy sigh*
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X