No announcement yet.

Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, bad costumes, plotholes and IMO mediocre make-up; not one of the best episodes of Stargate.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
      Gosh, how I love Martin Wood (sorry Jumble!). The man is such a shipper!
      Don't apologise for loving Martin! I positively encourage it

And yes, he is a shipper

Comment

Originally posted by Lilac736 View Post
        So, bad costumes, plotholes and IMO mediocre make-up; not one of the best episodes of Stargate.
        You forgot to mention dreadful make up and that awful, awful scifi cliché of ageing and then youthening someone again afterwards. Urgh!

We probably ought to give 'em a break; it was just the first season, after all.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
          You forgot to mention dreadful make up and that awful, awful scifi cliché of ageing and then youthening someone again afterwards. Urgh!

Seeing how Jack feels about both Sci Fi and Cliches, I'm surprised he allowed the incident to happen at all. Ha ha.

But seriously--the only thing that really irked me about this episode is how blase (I don't know how to make those accent marks, so just imagine an apostrophe over the 'e' there) Kynthia is about being with someone who looks like Jack did whilst old. There weren't any old people in Argos--they were all young and beautiful. And with their naivete, you'd think that she would have been a little freaked out by what he looked like. At least I would have thought so. But she just accepts it and then keeps making passes at him. I thought that was weird.

I can see how they could just stand there and let him go--he's the black ops trained guy, and the leader--he's only eaten cake and been danced for, maybe Sam just figured that he knew what he was doing. And Daniel has enough faith in Jack that he could have thought the same thing. Teal'c, being the lusty and passionate Jaffa that he is, was probably cheering his buddy on. And with the gentle nature of the people, their "weird" radar probably wasn't fully engaged. So, technically, yes. It was rape--but I don't think it was malicious on Kynthia's part--and I don't think that Jack would have seen it in that light.
          sigpic
          My Stories: FFdotNet
          My Stories AO3
          Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post

Yes, you are right. To be honest I wouldn't want it any other way. Yes, season one was sometimes cheesy and over the top, but I loved it. I’m a bit of a nostalgic person and frankly I’m not a fan of all the recut versions of films. I still like the original Star Wars films (without any new visual effects) best and I do not care much for the “Children of the Gods Final Cut”. I know the whole reproductive organ speech is awful, but I loved the Major Matt Mason dialog with Ferretti. I always thought it softened Kawalsky’s and Ferretti’s “attack” a bit. And I was really disappointed that they took out Sam’s MacGyver line. But nevertheless “Brief Candle” is not one of the highpoints of ten years of Stargate SG-1.
            About the whole non consent discussion, this episode did not bother me so much, because like I said before Kynthia did not know better. Does anyone remember “Irresistible” in season three of Atlantis? Lucius practically drugged a whole village and had his way with them, it’s supposed to be funny, but I don’t know, that episode really troubled me.
            sigpic

Comment

I never had so many issue with Brief Candle, mostly because I didn't care that much about it. I saw what happened between Kynthia and Jack as something unrealistic which would have never happened for real.
              I can't see Jack just taking cake or any other kind of food for that matter, from a stranger in a strange environment. He's a Colonel FCOL; he should know better with all his experience. Also what someone mentioned before, he would never allowed it to happen if one of his team members would have wanted to accept the cake.
              Also I never thought of this...bonding...as a marriage till someone in here mentioned it. I saw it as some drug induced sex, but that's about it. So rape in a way, yes, because Jack wasn't able to say no because of the "cake"...only what he did after that astonishes me in a way that he just accepts it and doesn't even worry about it...it seems all a bit weird and unrealistic to me.

Then again; it was S1 and it's SG-1. I forgive them for their faux pas in the beginning of the series

Lilac; about the Irresistable episode of SGA. It just ticks me of and I hate that one, but that's a discussion for another thread (I could go on, ranting for a while about it).
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by starlover View Post
                Lilac; about the Irresistable episode of SGA. It just ticks me of and I hate that one, but that's a discussion for another thread (I could go on, ranting for a while about it).
                You, me and many, many other people didn't find anything remotely amusing about "Irresistable" or "Irresponsible". Two of the least favorite episodes of SGA.

Comment

Originally posted by IggyMing View Post
                  Oooh, really? *shippy sigh*
                  When does he say that... right when he hugs her? I've never noticed that before (see my comment above about my powers of observation ) I really need to pay more attention to these kinds of details.
                  I've read it somewhere, must have been in this thread that he says it and yet yesterday was the first time I actually heard it yet I've watched it - well too many times. He says "C'mere" and then "I love you"

Originally posted by Pol View Post
                  Actually, you raise a terrific point here. Let's reverse the situation. Sam is offered cake by a buff young man in a toga. She eats it, then is led to her feet for some fun, playful dancing, then, quite obviously not herself, is pulled along behind him toward a tent.

I'd bet you that Colonel Jack "Oh, there's not a chance in hell" O'Neill would have been on his feet in a flash saying, "Whoa there, Sparky. Let's just all stay here and chat, shall we?"

Great point.
                  Indeed, as the great man would say, not my favourite episode, they wouldn't let Sam be whisked away, so why do they let Jack?

Comment

Originally posted by Fluffy17 View Post
                    I've read it somewhere, must have been in this thread that he says it and yet yesterday was the first time I actually heard it yet I've watched it - well too many times. He says "C'mere" and then "I love you"

Indeed, as the great man would say, not my favourite episode, they wouldn't let Sam be whisked away, so why do they let Jack?
                    But they kind of do let Sam get whisked away, don't they? The first Tok'ra episodes with Martouf and their little talk on the sand dune. They don't know him, either. Sure, she reassures the others with her "I know he won't hurt me" line, but she was wrong about Jonas, right? And more than one woman has used that line in relation to a man and then never been seen again.

I think that they let him go because none of them sense any kind of danger whatsoever--and Jack's superior training has supposedly prepared him for whatever he may encounter. AND the cake just seemed like cake. Nothing nefarious. All of their radar was just down on this one.
                    sigpic
                    My Stories AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                      Seeing how Jack feels about both Sci Fi and Cliches, I'm surprised he allowed the incident to happen at all. Ha ha.

But seriously--the only thing that really irked me about this episode is how blase (I don't know how to make those accent marks, so just imagine an apostrophe over the 'e' there) Kynthia is about being with someone who looks like Jack did whilst old. There weren't any old people in Argos--they were all young and beautiful. And with their naivete, you'd think that she would have been a little freaked out by what he looked like. At least I would have thought so. But she just accepts it and then keeps making passes at him. I thought that was weird.

I can see how they could just stand there and let him go--he's the black ops trained guy, and the leader--he's only eaten cake and been danced for, maybe Sam just figured that he knew what he was doing. And Daniel has enough faith in Jack that he could have thought the same thing. Teal'c, being the lusty and passionate Jaffa that he is, was probably cheering his buddy on. And with the gentle nature of the people, their "weird" radar probably wasn't fully engaged. So, technically, yes. It was rape--but I don't think it was malicious on Kynthia's part--and I don't think that Jack would have seen it in that light.
                      All this talk of the "marriage cake" in Brief Candle has given me a sort of plot bunny, in the episode Jack eats a piece of the cake and sees Kynthia doing her dance and off he goes. What if instead of Kynthia he turned to Sam as she spouts off some technobabble and Jack tries to make off with Sam. (well Fisherman Jack found GeekSam spouting technobabble to be hot!)

Of course, this would open up a can of worms with regards to consent and such and Sam would likely clock Jack upside his head and get Teal'c to restrain Jack until they could get to the bottom of things.
                      No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                      It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Originally posted by iiradned View Post
                        All this talk of the "marriage cake" in Brief Candle has given me a sort of plot bunny, in the episode Jack eats a piece of the cake and sees Kynthia doing her dance and off he goes. What if instead of Kynthia he turned to Sam as she spouts off some technobabble and Jack tries to make off with Sam. (well Fisherman Jack found GeekSam spouting technobabble to be hot!)

Of course, this would open up a can of worms with regards to consent and such and Sam would likely clock Jack upside his head and get Teal'c to restrain Jack until they could get to the bottom of things.
                        Consent? Well, let's put it this way--I wouldn't kick Jack out of bed for eating marriage cake in it.

I'm just sayin'.

But I say you write the fic and see what happens. Fun!
                        sigpic
                        My Stories AO3

Comment

Originally posted by starlover View Post
                          I never had so many issue with Brief Candle, mostly because I didn't care that much about it. I saw what happened between Kynthia and Jack as something unrealistic which would have never happened for real.
                          I can't see Jack just taking cake or any other kind of food for that matter, from a stranger in a strange environment. He's a Colonel FCOL; he should know better with all his experience. Also what someone mentioned before, he would never allowed it to happen if one of his team members would have wanted to accept the cake.
                          Re: The bold. This totally made me crack up. For obvious reasons.
                          sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

I've been going over the Shipsgiving thread trying to green everyone and GW took away my greening powers!

I'm being forced off the green for the next 24 hours!

I promise I wasn't going to ship and drive!

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                              I've been going over the Shipsgiving thread trying to green everyone and GW took away my greening powers!

I think you're only allowed to "green" 15 times per day. I read that somewhere a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post

You can do it! Perhaps you could use a twelve step program?
                                sigpic
                                My Stories AO3

Comment

Working...
                                X