Daniel Jackson Discussion and Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dani347
    Hmm, I don't think I've ever noticed his neck, but it seems to be popular. I'll have to take a closer look.

Sigh. The torture
    I know...it's just so rough, right? Ooo...I forgot his lips. How could I forget his lips?
    Webbgirl
    Keeper of Major Davis' Office Supplies

Webbgirl's Hangouts
    My Livejournal

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy
      This is a Daniel friendly thread for talking about Daniel.

What do you like about the character?
      Smart, intelligent, caring, cute. Need I go on?

What did you think the first time you saw Daniel?
      Uh, my brain is presently far too fried to remember that far back

How do you think they've handled the progression of Daniel's storyline?
      There have been some things I haven't liked and other things I've thought were beneficial to the character even if they did make me pout for a week when it happened. (*cough* Sha're's death *cough*)

What do you think Daniel did when he was ascended?
      Spend his time peeping around all the off world cultures he couldn't visit properly while he was with SG1?

Boonie or bandana?
      Mmm... Bandana all the way.

Do you have a favourite Daniel episode?
      TbftGoG- which is actually my favorite episode period. Followed closely by 48 hours and Abyss.
      ** Dax

Slowly but surely
      regaining my post count.

Dax(ie)Parrot the Very Bored Wierdie Nitty Bluie Alien Purple THUNK Fan

Comment

Originally posted by MegTDJ
        *ahem* Excuse me, but it was three scenes. Don't forget the "Janet?" "Daniel?" scene.
        Mea culpa Meg, you're absolutely right. Nice to see you here how's stuff?

Madeleine

Comment

** Dax

Slowly but surely
          regaining my post count.

Dax(ie)Parrot the Very Bored Wierdie Nitty Bluie Alien Purple THUNK Fan

Comment

Yay! Daniel pictures! And I even think I haven't seen that The Light one before.

All we need now is a few Meg episode summaries and it'll be like the Daniel Shrine in here. :-)

Comment

I have to say that I really can't decide if I have a favorite character. I just like them all so much. When Daniel left I thought: "What? How can that be? There's no SG-1 without Daniel!" "SG-1 has to be Jack, Sam, Daniel and Teal'c!" So I went kinda paranoic for a while. I was very sad cause the team was now missing Daniel, and that just couldn't feel right in my head. I'm glad Daniel came back in s7.

All this to say that I really love Daniel. And I think Michael Shanks is one of the best actors I've ever seen. I just love all those little details he puts in the character. Like when he says "Heeeeloooo" in that particular way, like when sometimes he picks up the phone, or in "Grace" when he's trying to get Sam's attention, or in "Lost City" when he arrives with Teal'c at Jack's place; or when in 'Chimera', Sam's talking to him while they're heading to the elevator and he's soooo sleepy and she goes "You tired?", ah he goes "Ya think?"; and when they reach the elevator and he goes "coffee" in the way we all know

Hum... just some stuff about Daniel and Michael Shanks I really love

Oh and I love Daniel's look in "Enemy Mine", when Jack goes "Daniel, go to your happy place". It's brilliant.
              :: How Would You Feel About Life If Death Was Your Older Sister? ::

Comment

Great pictures!
                Chachu

Comment

What do you like about the character? What did you think the first time you saw Daniel? How do you think they've handled the progression of Daniel's storyline? What do you think Daniel did when he was ascended? Boonie or bandana? Do you have a favourite Daniel episode?
                  Surprise! Bet you didn't expect to find me here did you?

What I like about Daniel is his passion for learning and exploring. The first time I saw him in the movie, he immediately reminded me of one of my closest friends in high school, which is a very good memory. So I had a fondness for him from the start. Toward the end of S4 and S5 I didn't like him quite so much, but still found the progression of his character normal for what he had been through.

While he was ascended, I imagine that at first he was very caught up in the whole idea, but once he realized what it really meant, I think he must have become very annoying. He's never been the kind to sit back and let things take their natural course. He's got to be right in the middle of the action, affecting change so to speak. So I can see why in the long run, ascension wasn't the best choice for him. But seeing as death or life as a vegetable was the other option, it was probably the lesser of two evils.

As for boonie or bandana, I like them both, but prefer the bandana. Very sexy.

Favorite Daniel episode would have to be Crystal Skull. Some really excellent lines in there.
                  sigpic

Comment

Ya know, I don't think I've ever posted in a Daniel appreciation type thread before. One would think I don't appreciate him or something. Not so, BTW, I happen to like his character a great deal. I'm just not into drooling over people; it's impolite, not to mention unhygienic

Okay, my fav Daniel is dark Daniel. Unlike many, I loved Need and AP. I loved his scene with Apophis in Serpent's Song. Very powerful!

I also loved how, in Bloodlines, he wasted those "innocent" Goa'uld larva - not that I like to see violence visited upon the innocent - I think it made outwardly noble, peacable Daniel much more three dimensional. Acts such as that one in Bloodlines makes his hatred for the Goa'uld come more sharply into focus, for me, as does his friendship with Teal'c become all the more poignant. It also makes his nobility meaningful, because here's a guy who has been given every reason to want to hurt the Goa'uld, but he's able to set his personal feelings aside for the greater good(Fair Game).

I like how, in FIAD, he told Teal'c that he should have waited, and how he refused to forgive. (FIAD was wonderfully done, IMO, and I still get a lovely awwww feeling whenever he wakes up to see Sha're's face looking down on his. <sigh>

Bandana or boonie? Well, Daniel looks good in anything - and out of anything, too, I might add , but I think he looked particularly sexy in his royal Need robes. I dunno, I think I might be attracted to powerful-looking men....

Agh, cheez, will ya look at this mess?! <looks around the office suspiciously> Who's been drooling on my keyboard again?!
                    Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                    "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                    One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                    resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                    confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                    A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                    The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by MegTDJ
                      Regrettably, I didn't really think anything. I barely even noticed him!
                      When did you notice him, and what grabbed your attention?

And woo hoo! Glad to see you in here Meg
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                        I loved his scene with Apophis in Serpent's Song. Very powerful!
                        That's a heart stopping moment for me. The change that comes over Daniel - the cold blooded look in his eyes. Sometimes I wonder just how strong his character must be to keep following the ethical and moral path, when there must be a large part of him that just simply wants to wreck vengenance on all the Goa'uld and to heck with the consequences. Part of the reason that I think this affected Daniel so much, is that he empathises so strongly with other people. He doesn't just feel the pain for himself of Sha're becoming a host, he feels the pain of ALL the families whose loved ones have been taken for hosts.

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                        I like how, in FIAD, he told Teal'c that he should have waited, and how he refused to forgive.
                        Another heart stopping moment for me. And I do wish that we'd seen more of this, and how Tealc managed to cope with it afterwards, as he didn't have the benefit of being able to work though it all in a short time span that Daniel did. How does it feel knowing that you took the life of your best friend's wife, no matter how unavoidable it was?
                        sigpic

Comment

Serpent's Song is wonderful for Daniel. We got to see him going through such a range. The cold look in his eyes, when Apophis reared back in pain, right after Daniel threatened to kill him, was just so powerful. And, then, just a heartwrenching scene to see him showing compassion to the host later.
                          I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

It's really, really hard to pin this one down, actually. Most generally, my answer to this question would be "Well, he's Daniel!" It's a three-word answer that sums up the hundreds of things that actually are Daniel, and yeah, it's probably a cheap cop-out... but it's either that, or a fifteen page thesis.

What did you think the first time you saw Daniel?

The first time I saw James Spader's Daniel, I thought, "What a nerd! He is kinda cute though..."

The first time I saw Michael Shanks' Daniel, I thought, "Holy crap! They hired James Spader!"

How do you think they've handled the progression of Daniel's storyline?

Not well, I'm afraid. The first three season, I simply loved how he was handled. He started out as the innocent thrown to the wolves, for lack of a better term, and I simply adored watching him grow. Sometimes (Prisoners) he seems so absolutely clueless and naive, and others (Serpent's Song) he seems so hard and cynical... and I never for one minute doubted that these two extreme opposites could exist in one man.

Lately though... I'm disappointed. It seems that he hit the apex of his character deveopment somewhere in Season Five, and they've not done much with him sense then. He's still in-character - it's just that his character hasn't changed.

What do you think Daniel did when he was ascended?

Watched over SG-1, and generally annoyed the poop out of Oma.

Boonie or bandana?

Boonie. Boonie, boonie, boonie, boonie!

And long hair.

Do you have a favourite Daniel episode?

There But For the Grace of God, which also happens to be my favorite episode, period.
                            ~bri~

Comment

I have to agree with the James Shanks/Michael Spader metamorphisis in the first season. I didn't like Daniel at all during the first several episodes. It was like watching Michael Shanks playing James Spader playing Daniel Jackson. A little too much acting for me.

I do think he has progressed well over the years. I prefer his character now over earlier episodes, he still seems compassionate, but less "nerdy".

I was sad to see him leave, ascend. I wasn't crazy about Jonas. Still not crazy about Jonas. Daniels ascention brought tears to my eyes, but his cameo's were very welcomed. His return is even more welcomed.

Comment

Originally posted by brihana25

Boonie or bandana?

Boonie. Boonie, boonie, boonie, boonie!

And long hair.
                                Hee! I've got company.
                                I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Working...
                                X