Daniel Jackson Discussion and Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daniel's shadow
    I don't want him to be a reactionary character (which is quite noticeable with Sam lately) but one with mana (status and authority) not just in his own field of expertise but also within the set up of SGC. Damn it the man has given so much of his life to the place, he deserves it.
    I Liked his beurgoening relationship with General Landry,
    Spoiler:
    Especially in Prototype were he is standing besides him breifing him on the situation and then taking a real part in the conversation with Wheelsy (spelling?). I'd like to see more of this
    AncientsTimeline

Comment

Originally posted by Sprinkles
      I Liked his beurgoening relationship with General Landry,
      Spoiler:
      Especially in Prototype were he is standing besides him breifing him on the situation and then taking a real part in the conversation with Wheelsy (spelling?). I'd like to see more of this
      I like his interactions with Landry too. It's, naturally, different from Hammond, who he grew to not only respect, but have a real affection for (I'm thinking especially the scenes in Prometheus Unbound), and also Jack, but it's interesting to watch.
      I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Indeed. It's interesting seeing how he learns to work with him, talk to him and such, and they're coming up on that bond.

As for the snarkiness, I'm seeing he's much more "up", in general, just lately, and when he is teasy, it's all fun.
        Spoiler:
        I really feel the situation with the Ori was tensing him out quite a bit. Now that things are basically back to normal, he can get back to normal as well. Of course, he'll still get frustrated with things, and such, but there isn't that constant feeling of desperation, potential despair.

Originally posted by Dani347
        What about the burning scene? No pep talk (kind of an awkward moment for one ) but definitely caring.
        Oh, but no more caring stuff like that. I can't take it!
        I'd much rather just see him being able to help people and like that, and not having to watch them die or be tortured or whatever horrible thing! To be sure, as bad as that stuff is, seeing Daniel's reaction to it is even worse!

Comment

wow, some great things said- I'm not sure what to add!

Spoiler:
          about the Ripple Effect scenes that were cut out - I haven't read them yet, so I had no idea about the Daniel/Sha're thing. I would have like to have seen that.. I think it would have been emotional and a great scene for Daniel. And what better way to take us back to the beginning and the roots of why Daniel is even there. She was his motivation for joining SG1, and he's a pretty important part of the team!

I agree about not wanting to see him as a "reactionary" or passive character. I like watching his reactions and how he is affected by things, but
          Spoiler:
          One of my favorite scenes this season is in The Powers That Be where Daniel is standing up to the Prior, arguing his points. I love seeing him stand up intellectually as well as standing up to physical power.

Atlantis Base offers greetings from the Pegasus Galaxy
          "Just when you think you're not in Kansas anymore, it turns out you are."

http://babyseals.care2.com/
          www.stopthesealhunt.com

Comment

I feel like Daniel has been changing since season eight. He is having fewer and fewer of his Daniel-moments. I think it's because we are no longer really exploring the universe. We are just sort of wheeling around the same couple of planets talking to people we've already talked to. And I know Daniel totally has every right to be the way he is now, but it just feels to me as if he is growing more distant, less compassionate, less enthusiastic and cheerful. It feels to me almost more as if he's just started to shrug and go "okay, whatever. That was fun let's go hom." That wasn't how Daniel used to be. You used to have to drag him off of another planet kicking and screaming and even then he would be talking your ear off about it for another two weeks after the fact.

Another thing that my sister mentioned the other day is that we haven't seen any real Daniel-archeologist moments. There's no more of his talking so fast that he's interupting himself and tripping over his own words. I mean, I know people change over nine years of seeing what he's seen, but a man like that just doesn't do a complete turn-around over night.

Does anyone else think this or am I just not looking hard enough? In any event, I still--and will always--love Daniel. I just wish that he was a little more like the old Daniel and a little less like the I'm-trying-to-fill-in-for-Jack-O'Niell Daniel.
            thankee toasteronfire

Comment

I don't see that. They haven't shown them on any planets for him to get excited about. So, it's not like he's been put in a situation where he would normally act one way, and then has behaved out of character. They just haven't put him in the situations, period. The missions are usually underway, instead of them just exploring before finding out what's wrong. So, I don't think Daniel has been shown as not wanting to explore. I think they aren't showing the episode from that point.
              Spoiler:
              Collateral Damage. When the audience came in, it wasn't at the meet and greet stage. It was already after that
              Plus, I don't think Daniel ever wanted to stay on a planet just for the sake of staying on. If the planet had something to offer, some culture to study, then he would be, and there just haven't been.

As for being compassionate:
              Spoiler:
              The burning scene in Avalon2. Plus, him asking about how Dr. Lee was in Babylon?
              I don't recall anytime when he should have been compassionate, but wasn't.

Another thing that my sister mentioned the other day is that we haven't seen any real Daniel-archeologist moments. There's no more of his talking so fast that he's interupting himself and tripping over his own words.
              To me, that's again not a change in Daniel, but in the stories.
              Spoiler:
              And, we still had Avalon, where he's giddy over the discovery of Merlin as an ancient. And, where he is talking all over himself, trying to convince Landry to let him use the device they found.
              I do think there should be more stories that allow him to use his archeological and linguistic skills for that matter. And, not just his skills in Ancient. And, I wouldn't mind some episodes that start out as meet and greet and become something else. Like I said, most episodes seem to have a specific mission in mind before they even start
              Spoiler:
              Them going to find the Sodan in Babylon, or testing out the mind control device in Collateral Damage
              rather then them going to a planet just because it's the next gate address and time to explore, and then letting the situation pick up from there. If Daniel was on a meet and greet and had time to be interested in culture -and actually had some culture to be interested in- and then wasn't, I'd see a change.

I really don't see a trying to be Jack. There have only been a couple of times this season where things have felt off to me
              Spoiler:
              TFH2, and a couple of things from Ripple Effect -but also a lot of very Daniel like moments
              but overall to my view, he's Daniel.

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Comment

Originally posted by StarDreamer
                I like watching his reactions and how he is affected by things, but
                Spoiler:
                One of my favorite scenes this season is in The Powers That Be where Daniel is standing up to the Prior, arguing his points. I love seeing him stand up intellectually as well as standing up to physical power.

ITA. Reactions and emotions are something MS does ever so well, and caring is a part of daniel's nature that really matters; but the reason he got recruited by the SGC is his brain and I do relish the times when he gets to show that.

While I don't feel that Daniel is being wallpapered I am about ready for a full-on Daniel ep. Or something like Avatar where it's more of a two-hander with someone who is a regular but who isn't Vala. Vala's great, but it's nice to see Daniel interact with Teal'c an Sam and we've had plenty of D+V this year.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                  ITA. Reactions and emotions are something MS does ever so well, and caring is a part of daniel's nature that really matters; but the reason he got recruited by the SGC is his brain and I do relish the times when he gets to show that.
                  I agree. One thing I would like is for the show to give more scenes that show that his skills and brains aren't limited to his ascension. I'm kind of torn. One the one hand, I like that he's acknowledged as an expert on the Ancients, but sometimes it seems that's all he's given.

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
                    I don't see that. They haven't shown them on any planets for him to get excited about. So, it's not like he's been put in a situation where he would normally act one way, and then has behaved out of character. They just haven't put him in the situations, period. The missions are usually underway, instead of them just exploring before finding out what's wrong. So, I don't think Daniel has been shown as not wanting to explore. I think they aren't showing the episode from that point.
                    Spoiler:
                    Collateral Damage. When the audience came in, it wasn't at the meet and greet stage. It was already after that
                    Plus, I don't think Daniel ever wanted to stay on a planet just for the sake of staying on. If the planet had something to offer, some culture to study, then he would be, and there just haven't been.

As for being compassionate:
                    Spoiler:
                    The burning scene in Avalon2. Plus, him asking about how Dr. Lee was in Babylon?
                    I don't recall anytime when he should have been compassionate, but wasn't.

To me, that's again not a change in Daniel, but in the stories.
                    Spoiler:
                    And, we still had Avalon, where he's giddy over the discovery of Merlin as an ancient. And, where he is talking all over himself, trying to convince Landry to let him use the device they found.
                    I do think there should be more stories that allow him to use his archeological and linguistic skills for that matter. And, not just his skills in Ancient. And, I wouldn't mind some episodes that start out as meet and greet and become something else. Like I said, most episodes seem to have a specific mission in mind before they even start
                    Spoiler:
                    Them going to find the Sodan in Babylon, or testing out the mind control device in Collateral Damage
                    rather then them going to a planet just because it's the next gate address and time to explore, and then letting the situation pick up from there. If Daniel was on a meet and greet and had time to be interested in culture -and actually had some culture to be interested in- and then wasn't, I'd see a change.

I really don't see a trying to be Jack. There have only been a couple of times this season where things have felt off to me
                    Spoiler:
                    TFH2, and a couple of things from Ripple Effect -but also a lot of very Daniel like moments
                    but overall to my view, he's Daniel.
                    Good points. Thank you.
                    thankee toasteronfire

Comment

Remember when Daniel did archeaology-ish things? I know it's hard, but think waaaaay back.

I miss that.

Comment

I asked Joe if there would be any upcoming opportunities for Daniel to use his archeological or linguistic skills and he said yes. Of course, there's no guarantee of how much or when or if his ideas of that matches the ideas of anyone here.

Comment

There's every chance Joe was referring to offscreen opportunities...

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                            There's every chance Joe was referring to offscreen opportunities...

Ack! Don't even go there

AncientsTimeline

Comment

Seriously.
                              Originally posted by LMichelle
                              Remember when Daniel did archeaology-ish things? I know it's hard, but think waaaaay back.

I miss that.
                              I know! there's so very little of that now, it's like an afterthought, and archaeology is such a big part of who Daniel is!

Comment

oh dear, what if he was saying yes to the linguistic rather than the archeaology stuff? Not that I mind the linguistic stuff but it isn't as interesting.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X