Daniel Jackson Discussion and Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by misravot
    As others in this thread have noted, Daniel has undergone enormous transformations. That it would have some affect with the way he interacts with people is inevitable and is not neccesarily a bad thing.
    Indeed, Daniel may not have been able to handle a lot of the stuff he's had to deal with more recently as well if he hadn't grown by what he's dealt with in the past. Every member (and past member) of SG-1 has had to deal with one thing or another which has changed them, made them stronger, though they are still the same person. However, because Daniel has had to live (and die) through the most traumatic experiences, and therefore the changes in him are the most noticeable. When Daniel first joined SG-1, he was reluctant to do much, unsure when it came to fighting, and most anything else which did not involve his specific areas of expertise. Later, he's much more willing to become involved, to help out as much as he can. He is truly an integral part of the SG-1 team, and that's due a lot to his changing, growing up, learning, coming into his own.

Comment

he's also learned how to think tactically and threat assess in all situations, even if it doesn't seem necassary..... before it used to be "we don't need weapons" to "ok, the guy looks harmless, but those are some big muscles... maybe i should keep the safety off"
      I'm a Slasher. I slash. It's what I do.
      sigpic

Comment

I think people who say Daniel is turning into a Jack Clone are perhaps responding to the fact that now Jack isn't around to do his quipping the proportion of sarky lines that go to Daniel is higher, simply because Teal'c's sarcasm is quite understated and sam doesn't really have any. It's not like they suddenly 'invented' a sarky streak for Daniel in s7. He's been at it since the beginning: "Thanks, I feel very clean! ... (I smell like a yak!)", "It's macaroni cheese"...

Jack and Daniel's relationship involved a lot of teasing and put-downs, cos Daniel annoyed Jack a fair bit and Jack pretended to be more annoyed than he really was - but a lot of the teasing and put-downs came from Daniel, he's always been more than capable at it. Now, with Vala, Daniel is the one getting exasperated. The situation suits it, and Daniel's personality is not being altered in order to allow him to snark at Vala; it doesn't make him a Jack Clone simply cos he gets exasperated.

And although I agree that Daniel has, over the past six years especially, often been given lines that could have gone to Jack, the same could be said of Hammy, Sam or Cam (only their lines-that-could-have-been-Jack's aren't witty or amusing so often, and there's this idea I've encountered that "Jack's the funny one" so if anyone else makes the audience smile they're a Jack-clone.) It doesn't matter. It's *how* they're said, it's in the delivery. Jack's put-downs are exactly that: put-downs. They invite no reply, Jack says them with a straight face and their purpose is to make it clear Jack considers himself top dog. Daniel might say the same sort of words, but when he does it's with a twinkle in his eye and a bit of a hope that his conversant will come up with a good riposite. Remember when he's winding up Dr Weir in ep 8.1? He enjoyed her replies and smiled when she got in a good barb. He likes to banter, he does it with everyone. Jack only really banters with Daniel, or with Maybourne (and in Maybourne's case it's only cos Harry is too thickskinned to know/care when he's being belittled) - with everyone else his snarkiness is a one-way street. I love how Jack does his Jack thing, but it's completely different to how Daniel does his Daniel thing.

Madeleine

Comment

Good point about Vala. Daniel has never had to interact with someone like her on that level before. So, of course he would act differently with her, because she is different, and she exasperates him more than anyone.

Daniel has occasionally given his own put downs. But, his delivery is different than Jack's. One that stands out is in The Fifth Race. When he mimics the scientists who said they didn't know how to get Sam and Teal'c home, but were working on it, he said something similar when he gave them Jack's device to work on. To me, that was calling attention to the fact that they didn't know what they were doing.

And, maybe not a put down, but in Ascension, when Colonel Simmons asked if he wanted a reminder about the dangers Earth faced, Daniel said, "Could you? Go slow." So I think Daniel has his own streak of sarcasm when someone annoys him. Also, I don't think he suffers fools all that well.
          I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

what they said
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy
              This is a Daniel friendly thread for talking about Daniel.

What do you like about the character? What did you think the first time you saw Daniel? How do you think they've handled the progression of Daniel's storyline? What do you think Daniel did when he was ascended? Boonie or bandana? Do you have a favourite Daniel episode?
              Daniel...how many great things can you say about him? He's definitely my favorite in the series. And why choose between the boonie and the bandana...I'm thinking he looks great in both! I enjoy watching his character grow and change. He went from being somewhat innocent and naive to a soldier with a heart.

Comment

welcome Sylouette98... daniel looks good in anything he wears (or doesn't wear, as is the case in the opening scene of Fallen pt.1 )

i wanna wear his snuggly sweater!!!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ayan
                  welcome Sylouette98... daniel looks good in anything he wears (or doesn't wear, as is the case in the opening scene of Fallen pt.1 )

i wanna wear his snuggly sweater!!!
                  Thanks! I'm totally loving it here in GW!
                  I haven't seen that ep yet...I know...The shame! I can only imagine how yummy!
                  To heck with wearing his snuggly sweater...I want to be his snuggly sweater!!!

Comment

screw the sweater, on second thought, i wanna be Vala.... she always brings the best outo him
                    sigpic

Comment

Vala's so mean to him, though! She just annoys him, and gets him angry.

Comment

Originally posted by I love Daniel!
                        I agree. I wanna be Sha'uri, before she becomes a host. Remember the yummy kiss from the pilot?

Goa'uld queen in possession of Daniel, Jonas and Martouf clones
                        Lovely signature courtesy of Admiral Q O and Skydiver.

Comment

Originally posted by jerin
                          I agree. I wanna be Sha'uri, before she becomes a host. Remember the yummy kiss from the pilot?
                          **drooling** MMMmmmmm...definitely a memorable moment!

Comment

Originally posted by I love Daniel!
                            it's called flirting.... i do it all the time.... besides it amounts to great sex afterwards
                            sigpic

Comment

Honestly, I think Daniel "annoys" Vala more than she annoys him. I think he comes off as being different from other guys (well, duh.), less "attainable." Vala seems like the type that always gets what she wants, but now she wants Daniel and she can't have him. (yet? it seems like it's headed that direction.) So I think she picks on him to try and seem unconcerned.

Anyhow, Vala and Daniel are both awesome- really strong characters. I hope to see more of them together in Season 10.

Lt. Colonel Jason Richardson/Major Jen Stevens Shipper
                              Lt. Colonel Jim Anderson/Major Kate Howard Shipper

"Tir gan teanga, tir gan anam." -Gaelic Proverb
                              (A country without a language, a country without a soul.)

~RockinHobbit (MySpace)

Comment

Originally posted by RockinHobbit
                                (yet? it seems like it's headed that direction.)

I hope not. I've had my fill of ship. (Hey, lets see if a show can survive a season without any ship) Plus it's so cliche. It would be the classic and overdone "They fight, they fight, they kiss!" thing. I don't expect their interaction to stay stagnante, but I don't think the development has to be shippy either. I hope the writers think of other ways to let the relationship grow.

I like seeing Daniel get angry and flustered.
                                I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Working...
                                X