X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matt G
    Hey Daniel fans!

I need for help.

I'm working on a website with a large Stargate section. And I've come up with a cool idea for it. When each character page is loaded, an audiofile of that character's catchphrase will play.
    Daniel : That's just happen to be how I feel about it, what do you think ?

too long ? IMHO, Daniel is more about feeling in general (than logical) but he's always open to other people thoughts..
    I just realise that's the quote in Katerine sig... hmmm
    sigpic
    sig.by : lilferret

Comment

From another "don't see how someone could categorize Daniel this way" someone described Daniel as having been a 'cowering geek'. This wasn't a negative post, but a way to explain that after all this time with SG1, under the conditions and events he's gone through, Daniel would have to have changed, become more athletic, etc. Which I agree with. But, cowering? Geek, yeah. Although, I tend to think of a geek as a positive thing. I don't know about other people. And, he was is and always will be a wonderful geek. Okay, but back to cowering. Daniel the guy who was brave enough to take on the academic community with some completely far out there theories? Maybe that isn't as in your face courageous as being brace enough to take on someone who can kill you (but, we'll get back to that) but I think it takes a great deal of strength and courage to face humiliation and being thought an outcast in your community. And, considering how smart Daniel is, I'm sure he must have known it was a possibility.

Now, on to the more conventional type of courage. Daniel requested to join the team to find Sha're at the beginning. Out there where he could have been (and has been) a target for the Gou'ald. He didn't request to use his expertise behind the scenes at the SGC, where he could have also helped, and where people trained in combat could have handled the front lines. But, he didn't. And, again, it wasn't that he wasn't aware that danger was out there. The danger was why he wanted to join in the first place. He's always been out there challenging the enemy, even baiting them. And, it took courage (and maybe a degree of foolishness) to say he could get the original team home

And, Daniel was the least proficient in combat, especially hand to hand than the rest of SG1, but that makes sense. Still, he wasn't completely green, as far as weapons were concerned. He could shoot a gun, and even handled two in Serpent's Lair. Yes, he got fatally hit, but he still handled them well. He wouldn't have been mistaken for someone in the military, but he wasn't hiding behind everyone else, shaking with fear.

In the beginning Daniel was in over his head (but, honestly, weren't they all? With the exception of Teal'c) and there were times when he did seem overwhelmed and afraid. Prisoners comes to mind. He really was jarred there. But, again, I wouldn't describe him as cowering.

If anything, I'd say you could describe him as sometimes going overboard in the opposite direction.
      I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
        Geek, yeah. Although, I tend to think of a geek as a positive thing. I don't know about other people.
        “A geek is a person, male or female, with an abiding, obsessive, self-effacing, even self-destroying love for something besides status.” ~ D.B. Weiss, Lucky Wander Boy

And, yes, Daniel is, was and always will be a wonderful geek.

Okay, but back to cowering...If anything, I'd say you could describe him as sometimes going overboard in the opposite direction.
        Yeah, I don't think I'd describe Daniel as the cowering one in 'Children Of The Gods,' when "the natives" are approaching on Chulak, Jack and Sam take cover in the bushes and Daniel just walks on up and says "Hi." And that's about as far back as you can go, without sliding into the movie.

Jack only wished he was the cowering sort.

"The man has not changed."

Then or now, in that respect.

I've seen others talk - also wistfully - about how they miss the days when Daniel would "hide behind" the others and I wonder which episodes I've missed. And yet, I've mentioned myself (in this thread, I do believe) how nice it was to see spoiler pics like this one and this one (both from 'The Powers That Be') that show Daniel
        Spoiler:
        looking like the civilian-in-the-warriors'-midst again, standing back with his hands either empty or raised while others have their weapons at the ready.
        I'd hardly call it cowering, but I'm pretty sure I said it felt "like coming home again."

It's this image of the peaceful explorer I miss, the one who broke cover on that first mission, and was otherwise generally the last to draw his weapon, because he figured it was probably best if they avoided "shooting the first people we meet on a new planet." That's always what I read into any scene where Daniel stayed behind the armed front of Jack, Teal'c and Sam, that it was in the interest of appearing non-threatening; it meant he wasn't prepared to shoot yet (and generally preferred not to, if it could be avoided), not that he couldn't or wouldn't.

*shrug*

I don't know.

It's certainly a popular theme in fanon, this hyper-awareness of Daniel as the precious civilian and the team's - especially Jack's - increased protectiveness towards him. But a lot of this vigilence is owing to the combination of Daniel's less finely-honed combat skills and his fearlessness, from the likelihood that he will rush headlong into all manner of danger if they don't keep a close eye on him (which, on the show, they generally didn't, as the plot often required Daniel to make that headlong rush, but it was these instances that led to the long-suffering "mother hen" Jack of popular fic, and not any cowering, quivering Dannyboy who needed mothering in the field).

Someone once made what I thought was the rather astute observation that, back in the day, you probably had more cause to be afraid of Daniel when he raised his weapon than anyone else, because he never drew it as a matter of course (or protocol), he only drew it when he bloody well meant to fire it. At someone. When you saw the others coming, weapons in hand, chances were good they were still looking to talk. If Daniel had his weapon in hand, it meant the time for talking had come and gone and ducking and running was probably your best bet now.

Don't know how canonically supported that is, either, but it rings a lot truer than "cowering."

Tucker

Comment

Like I said, Prisoners was the only episode where I saw Daniel as really afraid, and Jack and Teal'c playing protectors. At the beginning of the episode, he seemed bewildered and uncomfortable. When he was going on about Botany Bay, it didn't have the same tone he usually has when he goes off on a lecture, of just getting into a subject, but like he was trying to comfort himself. For some reason, he was particularly shaken in that episode. But, even that didn't last the entire episode.
          I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Well i didn't think much of daniel before he cut his hair and got real spunky.. but now looking back he was very cute with longer hair too.

I think he is just so yummy! My fav episode of him would be the one underground. Forgot the correct name.

How could you resist that?
            TEAL'C: "I have heard of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jell-O"
            JACK: "Call Daniel"

Comment

In this vein, could you please come up with a phrase that either is a catchphrase for Daniel or a line of his that sums him up.
              "We're peaceful explorers". It always used to be the way SG-1 was introduced, but Daniel was always the one who was most inclined to be exploring (the others were more into reconnaisance). And while it might be doing Sam and even Teal'c or Jack a disservice to claim that Daniel was the most inclined to peace, he was the only one without a mandate to think in terms of possible combat, and he alone always went towards whoever he met with the assumption that they would be peaceful.

The only other things Daniel says with any degree of regularity are "that's neither here nor there" which doesn't seem like the sort of thing your after, or "I've no idea" which doesn't seem much better.

Or how about "This is meaning of life stuff" from ToT? That's said with enough passion to convey quite a lot about Daniel in a short audioclip.

Madeleine

Comment

Been catching up on some of this thread and came across the "self-centered" thing.
                I don't think so. One of the things I like most about Daniel is his humility. He just tries to what is right with no regard for himself, and he never looks for praise. IMO, he doesn't think he is better than anyone else, that all life is valuable. He really is SG1's heart.

Thanks Suekay for the sig!
                http://www.fanfiction.net/~gatergina71

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
                  Yes. The friendship that seems to be developing between Daniel and Mitchell (although I don't think we'll really see even its potential in its full form until Vala leaves -not that I'm complaining about Vala- just that the brunt of Daniel's interactions are with her for now) is great. It's something totally different from the friendships Daniel has with his other team members. It's not a jacck/daniel clone, it's not a second rate Jack/Daniel (I don't mean slash, it's just quicker writing it that way). It's not even an anti Jack/Daniel. It's all and only fully itself. It's developing into exactly a relationship between Daniel and Mitchell that I'm interested in seeing, no comparisions to any others necessary.
                  Oh, just wanted to say I agree on this! I can see a really good understanding friendship between Cameron and Daniel, not the antagonistic slashy like Jack/Daniel, but like they could really relate to each other.
                  Gaterelle

Comment

I'm working on a website with a large Stargate section. And I've come up with a cool idea for it. When each character page is loaded, an audiofile of that character's catchphrase will play.
                    This is meaning of life stuff.
                    We're peaceful explorers.
                    Is it the right thing to do?
                    Gaterelle

Comment

Spilers for season 9 - 9.4
                      I got a very strong feeling that Daniel for the first time was very afraid, of the Aurae/Ori/whatever spelling. Well, it wasn't just a feeling because he told Jack as much aswell...but you know what I mean. I think he really meant it. That's why I got kinda annoyed with Jack, because he just joked it off... .

What do you think?
                      Gaterelle

Comment

Originally posted by Ginalynn71
                        Been catching up on some of this thread and came across the "self-centered" thing.
                        I don't think so. One of the things I like most about Daniel is his humility. He just tries to what is right with no regard for himself, and he never looks for praise. IMO, he doesn't think he is better than anyone else, that all life is valuable. He really is SG1's heart.
                        I completely agree with this, Daniel has always been the heart and soul of Stargate.
                        Gaterelle

Comment

Originally posted by Gaterelle
                          Spilers for season 9 - 9.4
                          I got a very strong feeling that Daniel for the first time was very afraid, of the Aurae/Ori/whatever spelling. Well, it wasn't just a feeling because he told Jack as much aswell...but you know what I mean. I think he really meant it. That's why I got kinda annoyed with Jack, because he just joked it off... .

What do you think?
                          I agree.

Goa'uld queen in possession of Daniel, Jonas and Martouf clones
                          Lovely signature courtesy of Admiral Q O and Skydiver.

Comment

I think Jack just joked it off because he didn't know what to do about it. Daniel's never really come out and said anything like that before. And, you have to admit, Jack's under-reaction seemed to have calmed him down a bit. Or maybe Vala just had him so distracted that he couldn't really think about it that much. lol
                            thankee toasteronfire

Comment

Originally posted by Captain-Peregrine
                              I think Jack just joked it off because he didn't know what to do about it. Daniel's never really come out and said anything like that before. And, you have to admit, Jack's under-reaction seemed to have calmed him down a bit. Or maybe Vala just had him so distracted that he couldn't really think about it that much. lol
                              Hehe, wonder what she did to take his mind off things? *innocent smile*
                              Gaterelle

Comment

Hey Matt, I just wanted to throw in my vote with We're Peaceful Explorers. That's something that sums up the show for me, and something I always associate with Daniel.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X