Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Skydiver:
    however, look at it from a business standpoint. MS left and....it wasn't pretty.
    I'm not sure that RDA leaving and AT taking maternity leave are enough to irk the network executives at Skiffy too much. After all, RDA has been working less and less, and almost entirely out of loyalty to the show, producers, cast, crew, etc. Jack not being a regular this year was inevitable, and I'd like to think that Scifi knew that when they renewed. Likewise, I'd hope that no one, not even the executives at Scifi, would begrudge the producers of Stargate accomodating AT. She has been, and should continue to be a huge part of Stargate's appeal. The MS incident, however, is just plain weird. Again, all of that occurred before I became involved with any online aspects of SG-1, but from what I've gathered, MS was just plain rude and ingrateful to just about everybody around him. The rest of the cast, the producers--they all seem to have shown quite a bit of restraint over the whole issue. That being said, it's not like I wasn't then and am not now delighted to have Daniel Jackson return to the show. He also is a huge part of SG-1. But, I'm not sure how Scifi ever felt about the whole thing. I'd suspect that like many, myself included, they were just glad to have him back.
    and if you have a pool of 10 instead of 4, well then those actor are more disposible and controlled
    I don't think that it's going too far to say that this is what the producers are shooting for with Atlantis. Atlantis has a much larger cast of characters to include in stories. Sure, you have the leads, but there are also a ton of support personel. One of my personal complaints about the show is that it never seems to know what kind of a show it wants to be. Sometimes it wants to be like SG-1, with a tight, small team that goes to hell and back for each other. At other times it seems like it wants to be a broader story, where the characters don't know each other that intimately, thereby opening up more stories about more characters. And cetainly the producers have structured the show so that an infusion of new characters at some point wouldn't be so illogical to the story or as unpalatable to the fans as it is for SG-1. From a television/production standpoint, it's a great move. But for my own personal tastes, it's not so great. I'll take the small, tight team with the intimate, carefully written friendships anyday, absolutely hands down.

From a production/business standpoint, I can see the allure of a show such as Atlantis. Right now, I think it could easily survive major cast changes without upsetting the formula too much. Ergo, the actors on Atlantis don't have nearly the pull that their SG-1 counterparts do. But, from a fan perspective, I'm not sure that I'll stick with Atlantis for as long, or get become so entirely drawn into the story as I am on SG-1. So, in that respect, I'm not sure that Atlantis is actually built for the long haul. Does any of that make sense? Let's try to sum it up better. I think that the very factors that seem to make Atlantis capable of continuing on indefinitly could potentially be responsible for a limited life span.

Comment

I've always found it quite dangerous to discuss Shanks' leaving and WHY he left... I asked about it once - because it all happened before I was a fan, as well - and everyone acted like it was taboo to talk about it or suggest that it wasn't for good reasons. It was kinda scary and I've been weary of discussing it ever since.

Unless, of course... someone who's more experienced with the Online Insanity of S6 wants to PM me with some insight..

Comment

Originally posted by melpomene
        thanks, I'd never seen it. Speaking of which, what's this 'Hic Commitas Regit' thing I keep hearing -seeing- mean?
        Hic Comitas Regit is the motto for all things Samanda. It was created by ChopinGal and warmly embraced by the citizens of the land. Here’s a link to her post which explains the meaning of the Latin words.

Hic Comitas Regit

When asked the question in an interview, Amanda said one of the things the world needed more of was kindness, thus the motto.

HIC COMITAS REGIT ... KINDNESS REIGNS HERE

Comment

i, unfortunatly, lived through the whole thing. and while my opinions aren't objective in the slightest, they're also not a topic for this thread.

See, folks on all sides have different recollections of what happened and those recollections are usually most passionately relayed.

let's not upset samanda by dredging up the past
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
            i, unfortunatly, lived through the whole thing. and while my opinions aren't objective in the slightest, they're also not a topic for this thread.

See, folks on all sides have different recollections of what happened and those recollections are usually most passionately relayed.

let's not upset samanda by dredging up the past
            Yep. That's what PMs are for.

*hint, hint*

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
              Welcome to Samanda, Miz Gatez and thanks for the compliments. The clip shot in my poem is credited to a close friend (and co-author at another forum of a soap opera called As The Stargate Turns/Spins). I've borrowed her artwork for my poem. Geogirl, thank you! I'm not sure, though, whether it should be used elsewhere. I will ask her how she feels about that since it came from her design shop, not mine.
              Ok--thanks! I figured I should ask first--I DON'T want to spend the remainder of my summer break getting sued for stealing (That would be SO not cool, lol.)
              - Miz

Proud Samandan (blue jello all the way!! )

Proud Anti-S9 Forumer (Pro-Original SG-1)

SG-1
              Not your average world-saving squad!!

Comment

Please keep voting!

Round 38 of the Fave Episodes Tournament has begun. The Light was eliminated in Round 37.

Help save the Sam-centric episodes! Metamorphosis and Entity aren't far from the top! You can make a difference!. Please keep voting! Catch up on the tourney (and which eps have been eliminated so far) here: http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....postcount=1774

Be careful! If you accidentally vote for an ep that has already been eliminated, none of your votes will count in that round.

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Miz_Gatez
                  Ok--thanks! I figured I should ask first--I DON'T want to spend the remainder of my summer break getting sued for stealing (That would be SO not cool, lol.)
                  Hey There MG, actually I checked with Geogirl and she just added the words to a screencapture of her own and said "okay" if you want to use it! It's not like she cut and chopped and make an entirely original layout.

So, enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                    By special request of ChopinGal, here are the links to the flags.
                    As Strix is away for a few days, I thought I'd put a link to her flags too.
                    Strix, I hope you don't mind !

Flags by Strix Varia :
                    Flag 1
                    Flag 2
                    Flag 3

Flags by Lys :
                    Flag 1
                    Flag 2
                    Flag 3
                    Flag 4
                    Flag 5
                    Flag 6

And don't forget that Samfan31 made some wonderful plaques for Samanda too.
                    Hear Ye Hear Ye Hear Ye

Special Announcement of some Unfinished Samanda Business

O Loyal Citizens of Samanda, we have yet to decide upon our Royal Flag ... and, with Keeper away, I am turning to our Royal Census Taker (Sky) to see if she may be able to set up some type of poll/survey for this thread alone whereby each and every citizen (and, yea, visitor) can anonymously vote for a favorite flag design. We can set a deadline of August 1 and then tally the votes.

The designs are listed above, courtesy of Lys. We already have a royal motto and beautiful plaque (actually two plaques) ... but, alas, the royal castle is lacking its official chevron.

So, Census Taker ... what say? Can this be done here at the SaGC thread? I and my fellow Samandans await your reply.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                      Hear Ye Hear Ye Hear Ye

Special Announcement of some Unfinished Samanda Business

O Loyal Citizens of Samanda, we have yet to decide upon our Royal Flag ... and, with Keeper away, I am turning to our Royal Census Taker (Sky) to see if she may be able to set up some type of poll/survey for this thread alone whereby each and every citizen (and, yea, visitor) can anonymously vote for a favorite flag design. We can set a deadline of August 1 and then tally the votes.

The designs are listed above, courtesy of Lys. We already have a royal motto and beautiful plaque (actually two plaques) ... but, alas, the royal castle is lacking its official chevron.

So, Census Taker ... what say? Can this be done here at the SaGC thread? I and my fellow Samandans await your reply.
                      argh, i've been trying to put this off... i couldn't make up my mind.

okay, after staring at the flags, i've chosen my fave one. but before i give my results, i want to say that both ladies did *wonderful*! (that's why it was so hard to choose)

okay, i've chosen this one - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v681/LysSG/flag5.jpg

such talent, ladies.

sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

i can put a poll up

do you just want those 6-7 selections?
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                          LOL Everytime someone here says "It's so humid outside" I have to laugh the humidity here is nothing like it is in the South East. That being said a 108 in low humidity is still really bad. We have had several days the last week of a heat warning - this means don't go outside and do any physical work during certain parts of the day due to the heat. It did cool off today - it was only 102
                          Oh, yeah.....I'm sure around 108 the humidity becomes irrelevant! We're excited because it's supposed to rain tomorrow and "cool us off" to the upper 80s!
                          Originally posted by tsaxlady
                          I read this from a Boston Con report:

Michael Shanks said that this season was supposed to be a "spin-off" named SGC, but the network suits were afraid of losing their audience.
                          Well, that could mean that they meant to retain the brand name (SG-1) for the MOVIES!!!!!!! I remain hopeful that will be a possibility.

And, they could still do that. If AT leaves (Don't shoot me!) at the end of S9, they could add a couple more new team members, rename the series SGC and start making those direct-to-DVD movies with AT and RDA!!!!!

I am very hopeful.
                          not concetrating on one team could be a good thing. stargate's greatest weakness is that it has four main actors. so when one of those folks wants time off or needs a break, it's a big deal.

however, if there is a larger pool of actors then the show is more stable. It's not the end of the world if one actor leaves. and if another one wants a reduced role, then there are others to take his/her place

it is a wise move if they really want to make the series something that can last for years
                          Your idea makes the most business sense.....but I still like mine better!!!!!!
                          i would think that 2-3 rotating teams would be good. say, sg1, sg13 and maybe a marine team. one of them can be the primary team, but others can drop in or have an eps here and there. it would give the viewers known characters to pop in whenever someone wants the time off and from a writing standpoint, it gives them more interpersonal relationships to play with
                          This really is a good idea to keep the show going for years. Think of how ER has survived. Stars have rotated in and out all through the show, and still, the ensemble cast and the stories have been strong enough to survive. The trick in this situation is to get the fans to accept the switch from a show focused on four characters to an ensemble show. And I think the fans would accept it.....if we still had all or part of SG-1 in movies! They could launch the ensemble concept with a cliffhanger that led us to the first direct-to-DVD movie.

I've always liked this idea.
                          Originally posted by golfbooy
                          I can't help but add that, again, for me, no matter how well they do with Mitchell, I'll probably always wish it was O'neill instead.
                          Ditto!

Comment

Well, I'm off again for a couple of days; this time, to Pennsylvania, where Chopingal is going to play tour guide for me on Sunday. As always, I look forward to catching up when I get back.

Hugs to you all,
                            Strix

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                              Well, I'm off again for a couple of days; this time, to Pennsylvania, where Chopingal is going to play tour guide for me on Sunday. As always, I look forward to catching up when I get back.

Hugs to you all,
                              Strix
                              Oh, what Royal fun you'll have! The Kingdom will be waiting to hear tales of Pennsylvania!
                              Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                              Wow, this is so close to how I look at the show that I almost felt tingly when I read your comments. It was like someone was looking into my mind and reading it out loud for me to hear. *shiver*

That probably sounds strange doesn't it? It's just not very often when you read someone's comments where you find yourself agreeing on every point. Just struck me as weird in a cool way.
                              It's amazing how well goldbooy can crystallize our feelings, isn't it? He does it so well that I PM'ed him once, accusing him of being a showbiz lurker, or maybe even someone associated with the show. But he swears he isn't!
                              i agree that the team dynamics was and is part of the appeal of the show. however, look at it from a business standpoint. MS left and....it wasn't pretty. RDA is gone and they're literally not sure how the show will do. AT is taking time off. in the eyes of scifi, it's possible that tehy fear that the actors have too much pull. RDA was the recipient of some very broad concessions during s6 and 7 and 8. it is possible that scifi doesn't like that.

again, from a business pov, i would imagine that they'd want more power over their actors. they'd want them to be more disposable. and if you have a pool of 10 instead of 4, well then those actor are more disposible and controlled
                              Which is probably why we have a bigger cast on SGA.....so they move someone to the forefront if a lead demands too much.....
                              Originally posted by golfbooy
                              I don't think that it's going too far to say that this is what the producers are shooting for with Atlantis. From a production/business standpoint, I can see the allure of a show such as Atlantis. Right now, I think it could easily survive major cast changes without upsetting the formula too much.
                              As long as they don't lose Joe Flanigan. He's the only thing getting me through my RDA withdrawal. Hubby calls him "Jack-lite."
                              i, unfortunatly, lived through the whole thing. and while my opinions aren't objective in the slightest, they're also not a topic for this thread. See, folks on all sides have different recollections of what happened and those recollections are usually most passionately relayed. let's not upset samanda by dredging up the past
                              I agree.....but I am also very curious about that time, because I've just heard it alluded to in hushed tones.....kinda like how the Wizarding community in Harry Potter talks about Lord Voldemort!. And since I was in "passive fandom "at the time, I invite anyone with knowledge of what "active fandom" was like in S6 to PM me with all the details.....if they're so inclined!

Good night, North America!
                              Good morning, U. K. & Europe!

Comment

Rehearsals for my next musical start on Thursday and school starts next week so I'm in my last few days of vacation time and this week has been the week of how many DVD's can you rent and watch in one week. I have been through all the new DVD's that the local store has that I want to see so today I wandered around looking for something to watch and spotted a DVD cover with David James Elliott (JAG) on the cover and thought well I like him in JAG so I picked it up brought it home to watch and guess who has a minor role in the movie? Need help check out these caps I made before I took the DVD back -

My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Working...
                                X