Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
    I have to agree, I like the photos you posted much more than many other's I've seen. Au Naturale is always the best way to go in my opinion. Why mess with perfection?

I have to admit though... Amanda does look as if she's on the prowl in the above photo and I seriously doubt she'd find much resistance when she finally finds whomever or whatever she is after.

Kat
    I think Alan got the message ... and now they're celebrating baby Olivia!

Psst ... this is the thought that pops into my head whenever I see those boudoir shots ... but I sincerely hope I do not offend anyone with my honesty. Sky ... just yank this post if I'm stepping over a boundary here.

Comment

Originally posted by Carterslave

... the size & importance of the female sci-fi audience is not only vastly underestimated but often wholly unremarked. They're among the most loyal & vocal SG-1 fans ... We men tend to be more confrontational ....

Since I've always been comfortable around the kind of independent, professional women featured on SG-1, that was an aspect of the show near & dear to my heart. Depending on how the newcomers are written & portrayed, it's still possible to maintain that dynamic. (In the 'sneak peek', I'm impressed by how Claudia Black's manifest intelligence almost succeeds in distracting me from that dominatrix outfit they've put her in.)

I don't want to belabor l'affaire Fraiser, as I'd much rather be sending TPTB flowers or cash bribes to get them to write her back in somehow—a flashback, a ghost, a hallucination, a hologram ... whatever. It says a lot about the character & TR's portrayal that the wisdom of dispatching the Doc is still a subject of passionate debate almost two years after the inception of the "Save Janet Fraiser" campaign.

This is one of the more controversial manifestations of the way the show has been affected by Sci-Fi's fainthearted support, renewing at the latest possible juncture, despite an average rating that has risen with each season, to the point where SG-1 is outdrawing Enterprise. ... The current PTB, limping from year to year, have to plan each season as though it were the last.

As has been pointed out, they sure could use Janet to help fill the Carter vaccuum at the start of S9 & that goes double for Jacob. With no Janet or Hammond (one episode excepted) & part-time RDA, S8 has seemed underpopulated & off-balance ... So, if S7 really looked like the End of the Line, then I can understand the impulse to give Doc Fraiser a memorable exit. Once the Skiffy re-upped, a well-intentioned "showcase" episode turned into "the show's going on but you're not, Teryl," which I imagine was a pretty bitter pill to swallow all around. (The cheeseball device of trying to make it seem as though Jack had bitten the dust, not Janet, probably did a lot to fuel resentment among those who considered Dead Janet a cheap & cynical storytelling ploy.) So what was meant as a big catharsis wound up just leaving a massive residue of ill feeling.

At least when Daniel bought it (at least temporarily) in Meridian, the other characters were given a couple of episodes in which to try to come to grips with their grief, which considerably amplified the emotional depth of the show. What's the point of giving somebody a "memorable" demise if SG-1 seems to have completely forgotten them by the next episode?

I've been following a fascinating online analysis of the Sam/Jack ship, conducted largely by fanfic authors par excellence Rowan Darkstar and Rocketchick. One of the many superb points made therein was that some dramatic residue from Janet's death could be seen in S8, in that Carter's insecurities & self-doubt are reasserting themselves now that she no longer has the bedrock of emotional support that Dr. Fraiser provided. That had not occurred to me ... and it makes some of Sam's S8 behavior more explicable. If she's off spending quality time with Cassie during the first part of S9, I hope some of that is reflected in the character when she returns & that it's not just a one-line expedient for explaining Carter's absence. Of course it would be nice to have some Cassie storylines, too, but if we keep raising the issue it might very well happen. It couldn't hurt to think positively.

[B]P.S.:[B/] Crichton on Farscape had a reputation for being an awfully angst-ridden guy, frequently prone to tears. Since AT has been the cast member of pre-Browder SG-1 who really brought the heavy emotional artillery, Sam rather got pigeonholed as the Designated Mourner. So maybe, in future, Carter & Mitchell can share the crying duties, instead of Sam always having to be the go-to gal when a heavy bout of anguish is called for. I'm just sayin' ...
      Another neat and astute post, CS. And you raise again the possibilities for TPTB "to get it right" in upcoming season(s) ... by considering the mature part of their demographic and writing for them (us) also.

As much as I'd like to see TR reprise the role of Janet, I have to differ with you there ... bringing her back in AU or as a dream just doesn't do it for me. It would be very hard to watch, don't you think? Because, in this case, scifi dead really is dead. I mean, what are they gonna do? But, maybe, if the writers (and someone has implied this) write an episode dealing with Sam's many losses ... I could see her reliving and dreaming about both Janet and Jacob and grieving. So, as I write this ... I find myself changing my position: yes, dream sequences could be powerful and poignant, and possibly bring some closure (how I hate that overused term) to the arcs.

As for running the gamut of emotion from A to Z, I'm with you there: BB and AT (and CB) all have the calibre of talent needed for some good angsty scenes. And, if the angst is dissipated and done well, then Sam no longer has to be the whipping post or lightning rod for fan frustration.

Please, tell us where this "fascinating online analysis" between RD and rc is going on. They are both great writers of Samfic ... I'd love to read their critiques.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz

... I think it's interesting to account (to some extent) Sam's behavior to her lack of a female confidante ... anyhow, maybe Dr. Lam will be able to rekindle the friendship that Sam had with the base CMO. I liked Doig in "Andromeda" ....

I'm also hoping that the new general is able to start off that fatherly general bit that Hammond had. That somehow brought an interesting touch to the SG-1 of yesteryear.

I truly feel sorry for the fans who are not as hardcore as we are. They're gonna come back in July, and they're going to be greeted by a completely new series, where two main characters are pretty much MIA and three or four new characters are kinda filling the void. I can't imagine the confusion that'll cause for some people.

At any rate, if they DO mention Cassie in S9, and they DO have that as Sam's "personal commitment," I would respect them all the more for it. I can understand their desire to shy away from ship with RDA/Jack being gone and the billion and one changes - although it's rather anticlimactic for EVERYONE involved, I think. Still, something's gotta give here. If there's no shippy stuff to blame on Sam, and no love interest to blame on Sam, and no "Mary Sue" tendencies to blame on Sam, and no RepliCarter-esque mistakes to blame on Sam, then surely her character should be well-received this upcoming season, right? Right?
        Hi Spaz, glad you're coming out of Lurkdom and posting some interesting thoughts ... the verdict is still out on just how the old and the new will blend in S9 but I am keeping an open mind to the possibilities also.

However, having a new female doctor just seems a ploy to me ... kind of a band-aid fix to the complete eradication of the original female doctor whose lingering ghost in fandom is not going down without a fight. Tough act to follow ... let's see what LD does with it.

Now, General Hammond as a father figure! You know, the poor guy really did add to the overall dynamic and good vibe of the series. And he is missed and it would be a nice touch to have someone similar, a bit paternal, on the sidelines. The new team may not need that kind of care though. It will be interesting to see what kind of new dimension of General to SG1 plays out. I read somewhere that Bridges is bringing a different personality onboard, tougher and more demanding than Jack (hence, less fatherly than Hammond?).

Hmmm ... fans "not as hardcore as we" ... you must really be reading some of our prior posts which do sometimes skirt the edge of hardcore. As to "confusion", heck ... if they keep adding Jaffa #3, 4, 5, ad inifinitum and those hard-to-spell Orii (will they look like the cookie?) ... I will really have to put a scorecard next to my TV set! And what about Naomi?! (Running joke ... just ignore me and I'll go away.)

Yes, to Cassie ... we want her back! And the original actor would be a plus!

And, finally, some good old-fashioned R-E-S-P-E-C-T for Sam Carter as played by Amanda Tapping, winner of several major Canadian media awards for dramatic performances onscreen ...

We'll just have to wait and see!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
          I think Alan got the message ... and now they're celebrating baby Olivia!

Psst ... this is the thought that pops into my head whenever I see those boudoir shots ... but I sincerely hope I do not offend anyone with my honesty. Sky ... just yank this post if I'm stepping over a boundary here.

No not offended, just made me laugh!
          ......TARA......

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
            I just wanted to say good bye to you all. My short time here was made so much more fun, by reading your posts and looking at the fantastic pics you have all posted. I regretfully must resign my position as Royal Physician/Counsellor to Samanda. I can't take the continued mod bias and disrespect of many of the people who post here, physically and mentally.

I came here to seek refuge from a world that hasn't been very "kind" to me recently. I'm battling a serious illness and recovering from a serious auto accident. I thought I had finally found a new home, a place I could go and forget about pain, and docs, and meds and spend time with great people who loved SG-1 and AT, as much as I do. I'll miss this and all of you, more than you'll ever know. You should all be very proud of this thread and Samanda. You are a very special group of people and I've come to care for you all very much. I know I haven't posted a lot here. I was still trying to find my place. Guess I ran out of time.

Sorry, I better cut this, cause this tough bird is starting to cry.

Please take care and continue to love the show and Amanda. I'll be watching....
            Sorry to hear this. Even if you can't be our Royal Counsellor anymore, can you just skip the other threads and just come here to visit? I mostly skip the other threads, myself, to avoid the trollish types. I hope you will check in with us and I hope you feel better. Hang in there. jckfan

Comment

Originally posted by tara3583
              Good news Samandans, Amanda has won the Leo award! just seen the news on yahoo AT club.

Also she was there in person to recieve the award, great news
              Not sure how many Canadians we have on here but

The LEO AWARDS are on Cable 4 on June 3rd ­ 5pm, 7pm, 11pm and on June 4th ­ 7pm, 11pm for anyone interested in possibly tapping it and getting us some shots of Amanda

Kat

EDIT:
              BTW LET'S HELP AMANDA MAKE IT THREE IN A ROW
              DON'T FORGET TO VOTE!!
              Last edited by ForeverSg1; 29 May 2005, 10:15 AM.

Comment

The LEO AWARDS are on Cable 4 on June 3rd ­ 5pm, 7pm, 11pm and on June 4th ­ 7pm, 11pm for anyone interested in possibly tapping it and getting us some shots of Amanda

Kat
                I wish I could find out if my cable will carry it...although I can't save it to my computer yet anyway....

Side note...one of the mods pointed out on the Ask Joe thread that we should ask questions and not try to have the final word...

Do you all think perchance it was directed toward comments made by moi and maybe some others??? My 1,150 posts on Gateworld attest that I DO tend to yammer on a bit...although I'm SURE you all have NEVER noticed this about me, right???... but I hope I successfully communicated our angst over Sam-less details regarding Season 9 without ruffling too many feathers...

I also hope my comment about how delighted we at the SaGC thread were thrilled to know that the world's leading theoretical astrophysicist can competently man a fax machine brings at least a chuckle to the random reader...and hopefully to Joe as well...

Hmm...perhaps in the future...less words and more screen caps!!!

So, instead of...

"Joe...do you remember that Sam has the ability to use Goa'uld technology? We'd really like to see more of this side of Sam. Is it possible that future storylines could continue to showcase her uniqueness by exploring her Tok'ra skills more in depth?"

We'd have...

Joe...

We want more of this...

...and less of this please.

Last edited by Uber; 29 May 2005, 10:05 AM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                  ISide note...one of the mods pointed out on the Ask Joe thread that we should ask questions and not try to have the final word...

Do you all think perchance it was directed toward comments made by moi and maybe some others??? I do tend to yammer on a bit (and I'm SURE you all have NEVER noticed this about me, right???)... but I hope I successfully communicated our angst over Sam-less details regarding Season 9 without ruffling too many feathers...
                  I do not think you have to worry - I actually think David directed that comment at me and/or at the person I posted to. You see I posted a question to Mallozzi asking if we would see Replicarter because JM had said in a previous post that we would not see the replicators in S9 (we all know, though, that JMs posts generally have several meanings and you take what he says with a grain of salt - my suspicion was that perhaps we would not see the replicators but we could still see Replicarter because she is in human form and not replicator form - thus trying to play Mallozzi's game I asked the question to see if he would respond even to that type of Carter question). Someone else felt the need to "respond" to my question with their own answer and I, in turn, replied to them saying that I asked Joe the question. The 2 posts, the person that answered the question, and mine to that person, have been deleted so I guess David got his knickers in a twist about it. I have sent an e-mail off to David advising that if his remark about having the last word was directed at me I did not appreciate it and he would have been better served by instructing people not to "answer" people's questions that are posted specifically to Mallozzi. So I do not think it was prompted by your post or directed at you. I still think your post to Mallozzi was great.

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
                    Hmm.. weird you guys haven't seen those pics.. I found em on a website somewhere in my early travels.

My partner kinda went ga ga when he saw em too, asked me to make him a wallpaper. So I did, figured you guys might like it too.

http://www.bigbutton.com.au/~wickedgrin/images/amanda
                    Love the collage... any chance you could post the photos of Amanda that are on the left and right hand side of this collage? They are both beautiful!!

Thanks
                    Kat

Comment

in the ask joe thread, it needs to be questions only. don't answer someone else's question (unless you do it in PM), don't respond to anyone's question, just ask joe a question

i'm willilng to bet that's what david meant when he deleted it.

we have a near daily battle keeping it questions only in there
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

"Oh no! He's figured out how to upload photos. We can't expect any mercy now, Jan."
                        "C'mon, Sammy. He can't have anything worse than that photo of you kissing Thor ... can he, Sam? Sam?!?"
                        Last edited by Carterslave; 29 May 2005, 12:46 PM. Reason: Left a word out.

Jr. Member, Gateworld Curmudgeon Club

Comment

Kat
                          Well, we're waiting for MajorSam to check in with us - she has already made tapes of previous Canadian awards ceremonies with Amanda in them. She may even have a local Vancouver newpapers headline today that talks about the event ... hmmm ... that's worth a Google search.

In meantime, check my prior post this morning #8287 which gives full details about the extra added feature of "the red carpet" which should be part of the rerun.

CG

Comment

I'm sure someone else may have already posted this before but I just found this excerpt on a Australian site and thought I'd post it here. It's Amanda's feelings about Carmen's character being killed off.

Says Tapping, "What's so astounded me is that when we started to shoot it, I was up in the observation room and had to walk down [to the gateroom]. And I lost it, I wasn’t even on camera" she said.

"I went back up to the observation room and they said, 'Why are you crying' and I said 'Theyre killing off Carmen!' The enormity of it hit me right then, it hit me like a brick to the head, and I couldn't stop crying."

"God bless Carmen, he's so wonderful, and to think that when this show continues he wont be a part of it - it's gut-wrenching every single time. But I Guess that’'s what happens in a long running series."

'Despite her distress at Jacob Carter's departure, the actress acknowledges that the episode provided an excellent conclusion to the character's arc.'

"It worked out beautifully" said Tapping. "They handled it really well. I don’t think they had to kill him off, but I think it worked. It worked in with a couple of different story lines, so it was really kind of cool.

I think this article shows that often Amanda feels very much like we do about certain storylines and they seem to affect in much of the way same ways it affects us if not more so as she has a personal relationship with the actors as well. I know she was very upset about Janet being killed off and it's obvious that this death meant a great deal as well.

If TPTB are listening... please, please, please let this be the end of the tragedy in Sam's life. Do it for Amanda, for her fans, and for poor tragedy-inflicted Sam.

Kat
                            Last edited by ForeverSg1; 29 May 2005, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                              Well, we're waiting for MajorSam to check in with us - she has already made tapes of previous Canadian awards ceremonies with Amanda in them. She may even have a local Vancouver newpapers headline today that talks about the event ... hmmm ... that's worth a Google search.

In meantime, check my prior post this morning #8287 which gives full details about the extra added feature of "the red carpet" which should be part of the rerun.

CG

Ok, ok, I get the hint!

You guys are lucky I even came on the computer at all today! The second I came on there was Marybeth and Kat, yammering away that she's won and I have to tape it and bla blaaa!

I've checked my own TV listings, and on channel 4, at those times, it says "Local Programming" ... hm... well, that could be them! After all, the awards are Vancouver, and that IS local, lol. And if it had Mike Echford and Fiona Forbes... I thought they were channel 6, but they might have changed.

I will of course be on the channel at that time with a tape set up and hand on controller ready to record!

Does anyone know which night Amanda will be on??? (In case I'm out for one of them and have to set up auto tape...) hm, the second one you say... well, i'll tape both nights anyways! *is all excited now to see them*

and Myrth...

WHAT site did you find those pics on!?!?!? I've always prided myself as being one who can find all those pics that no one else has ever seen...

Link woman, link!!

and I second the desire for individual pics of those on the left and right of the collage...!!!

(Although I must admit the middle "prowl" one is definately my fave... It's so.. HAHA! I just think "Yeeeeah, you go woman!" )

EDIT: Unfortunately I don't really get the Local News... well, I get this one, but that's Local local, like, tiny community style... I don't get the ones that would potentially have something on the Leo's in it.

Having said that, I went and checked them out online, and after cruising all the headlines, found nothing about the Leo's... will continue!
                              Last edited by MajorSam; 29 May 2005, 03:27 PM.
                              The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
                              |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

amanda won on the second night of the awards
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X