Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
    my fave sam relationships:

3 - janet. not enough was done with this friendship for my tastes. (and it was horribly *wrong* to not delve into it in 'ripple effect', but i have my theories why)

4 - cassie. i *really* wanted to see how they were after janet died.
    Yes, I agree. The feeble "explanation"/reference we got to her in S9 was pathetic.

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
    Cute story, thanks for sharing! She sounds like wonderfully creative girl.

Looking back, Sam did lose a lot of her sub-plots (including the Sam/Jack relationship at least on-screen IMO) by the beginning of season 9, but I think this happened in part because the producers had tried 'ending' the show 3 seasons in a row. I think the other characters experienced similar losses during season 6-8, though perhaps not quite as many as Sam.

Cool, I hadn't heard about Bechdel's Law before. Thanks!

On reflection, I think the lack of following this law is why I quickly gave up on Grey's Anatomy despite being intrigued by the premise (I was an aspiring doctor-to-be at the time). Instead of talking about the challenges they faced as med students, the only thing the women on the show seemed to talk to each other about were their hang-ups with their respective boyfriends.

I also agree with what other's have said about Ripple Effect missing a great opportunity for some Sam/Janet interaction and closure after her sudden death. I also wish they'd left in the scene with Sam and Martouf talking about her killing him in her reality. That was one of the more tragic moments in Stargate for me, and I wished we'd seen more follow-up to it.
    Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    Yeah. and then coop goes 'gee, we don't know what to do with sam'

well, sir, you and your friends ended all her storylines and didn't bother to start any...if you didn't know what to do with her, look in the mirror. you did it.

The boys at bridge simply cannot write females in a realistic way. Haven't been able to since they started and i doubt it's a skill they'll ever learn. And it doesn't help that you have studio heads and network consultants pushing the cliches
    What can I say but There was so much left to do with the characters in S9 & 10 that they just didn't (want to ) do.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
      ****hugs****

Thank you for keeping us updated. I'm so glad to hear that you and your family are safe. I hope that the others are too and that they get everything under control soon!
      Our thoughts and best wishes are with you and yours Chelle
      Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
      Chelle, there are no words. *hugs* We're all thinking of you and everyone effected.
      My sentiments exactly (((Chelle)))
      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
        A friend and I in discussing Sanctuary have observed that what worries us the most is that it does such a good and rather subtle job of portraying women (well, not the abnormal-chasing gun-toting part, but the quiet bits between) and, really, the characters in general that it may never really find it's full audience potential while it's touted primarily for it's 'monster-of-the-week' format. I know several women in RL who I know would love it but, given their perception of what it's about and, frankly, the fact it's on Sciffy at all - are convinced they won't enjoy it to include my mother who does often watch Scifi and watched SG-1 regularly.

That said, I did get my husband to finally watch it, and he found it surprisingly relevant to himself personally, so hopefully these fears are unfounded... (but, honestly, with the episodes no longer available legally on the 'net and the DVDs not out in the states till who knows when and given the interconnectedness of the storylines, how the heck is it supposed to expand it's audience before Season 2?!?)

/ rant

(but, honestly!?!)
        Good point. At times I think in promoting it they have played up the "cool effects" aspect too much. Not so much with AT, she also talks about the characters. One of the problems is just the longstanding perception of science fiction as not "mainstream."

hopefully the good word of mouth will help. Does anyone know if they're planning to re-run the eps this spring/summer? That could help build interest for S2.

Comment

*hugs Chelle* thoughts are with all of you.
          sigpic
          Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
          My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

You're right, they COULD do it, pre season 9, they did an okay job. but as greenburg and rda's participation lessened, so did sam's capability.

for my personal tastes, the 'old' ptb wrote sam far more realistically than the newer ones
            Completely agree with you. And her role in SGA (while I loved it to pieces) she was totally and disappointingly underused.

OT Fires

Spoiler:
            My thoughts and prayers are with those of you in the threatened areas. We have fire problems every year here in LA and it doesn't matter how much one prepares to fight those fires, or how much one clears the brush away from their home. If the winds are blowing hard enough, there's no escape.
            sigpic
            Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
              Good point. At times I think in promoting it they have played up the "cool effects" aspect too much. Not so much with AT, she also talks about the characters. One of the problems is just the longstanding perception of science fiction as not "mainstream."

hopefully the good word of mouth will help. Does anyone know if they're planning to re-run the eps this spring/summer? That could help build interest for S2.

They are showing it on SciFi and in HD here in the UK from Friday 16th Feb at 9pm.

Mumsey
              For details of AT10 go to http://www.gabitevents.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post

What can I say but There was so much left to do with the characters in S9 & 10 that they just didn't (want to ) do.
                and just think how season 9 started. sg1 disbanded. SG1 DISBANDED!! *that* should have been the storyline, but it was swept aside to introduce the new characters and bad guys.

sg1 was supposed to be THE stars of the show!!

i'm still shaking my head on that...
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
                  Morning all. I tried popping in last night but the server was down. At that time the post I had went like this:
                  Spoiler:
                  It's 11.30pm so one last update before bed...the death toll has reached 84. My brother remains on high alert and hubby is now getting some long needed sleep. It's quite cool here tonight which is a nice relief but the winds continue to be a source of concern, particularly further north about 3 hours from here. Other than that, I've been staying tuned to the local radio station for updates.
                  My son actually said something tonight that was probably the most accurate description of the evening sky. He said, "Mum, it looks like the sky from that episode in Stargate". Of course it doesn't take a rocket scientist...or theoretical astrophysicists to figure that one out...Red Sky.
                  Spoiler:

These first 5 shots were taken yesterday afternoon. The first 4 in our front yard while the 5th was taken down the road and around the corner from our house.

The last 4 were taken this afternoon at around 7pm ish. David had just come home...hence the 4x4 in the drive. The redness of the sky was quite surreal.

Night all. Thanks for allowing me to go OT with the news here of what has been dubbed Black Saturday

Things have changed since then. The toll is now up at 108 and still expected to rise. A lot of the dead were found in the Kinglake district. I'm a little concerned for our mechanic as he lives there.
                  My brother is still on alert but thankfully at this stage he seems to be over the worst. There is one major blaze still burning up in Beechworth. We have friends up there too but thus far all is ok. The smoke is clearing but the sky still has a red tinge to it.
                  ABC News
                  I have to go to work today and I know there are a few people at work who will be directly affected by this. But I'll let you know more as soon as I can.
                  After speaking with my brother last night, i can tell you this...seeing David hop out of the cruiser last night all smelly and filthy...lets put it this way...we were so close to losing 5 members of my family and 2 dear friends on Saturday. So much so that the police and firies thought they were lost when the fire front hit the house. My younger brother was assisting another couple when he saw the fire front approach where my hubby, brother and sister inlaw were...he had to be held back as he tried to run to them. He said that he honestly thought they were dead. Bob said they hid behind the truck. Di was in the house. The story is just so incredible. I'm going to try to get it all down somewhere and share with you but basically, from what Bob and David were saying, it's a miracle they are with us today. Maybe dad was watching over them. I dunno. I'm just glad that they are ok. I'm glad to know Mara is ok and I'm glad that my aunties sister is here instead of up at her house in Stanley where the fires are now bearing down upon. I just hope and pray that everyone else we know who lives in the affected areas is ok.
                  Anyhoo, it's coffee time and then off to work I go.
                  Take care and stay safe everyone. *hugs*
                  *Big, big hugs* Wow Chelle, that's something. I hope things start getting better, and I'm glad you and your family is still safe, and I hope you stay safe .

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
                    Having a semi-on-off-topic moment. It's cute so I needed to share...

A lot of you probably know that I spend a lot of my time hanging out with Amanda and her two kids, Jeni and Ellen. They make up three of my RL Sanctuary buds. Actually, I have nothing to do with their conversion; when I first moved to the town, I taught Jeni and Ellen French and my Year 8 class did a project on personal descriptions... As my example, I used a powerpoint with Helen Magnus and a description in French. Jeni's reaction was "Holy Cr*p! Is that Amanda Tapping?!" Yeah, she got stuck in detention for bad language, but I was secretly impressed.

Anyway... back to the point...

Ellen was reading over my shoulder last night because the little 11 year old is fascinated by online fandom, but is too little to play herself. So she was reading about the Montessori auction stuff and let out a really pitiful sigh about the fact that she wishes she could go to the set tour, but it will be way too much money and she's too young anyway.

So then she pipes up "Maybe we could paint Jen's room bright green or hang up some green sheets and put our old furbies in the room and pretend they're nubbins. That'd be the same as a set tour, right? Cos it's all green screen? Ok, so we won't have Amanda Tapping, but we can stick a picture of her on the wall and we have the trollop and our own Amanda."

I love eleven year olds!
                    That's brilliant! You should film a mini episode.

Chelle, so glad that you're family has come through all this ok. I hope that you, your family and all the rest of our GW friends stay safe. It's horrible what happening down under (floods and fires) right now. I hope they can get the fires under control soon and that no more lives are lost.

((((Chelle)))) Stay safe.
                    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                    William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                    Anon

Comment

All afternoon the front page of my news site has declared the official deathtoll from the Victoria fires to be 108. This was just updated to say 107.

I know the number will continue to grow as the fires rage on and searchers get access to areas that were cut off, but for now I would guess there is 1 very relieved family out there.
                      Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Morning all. I tried popping in last night but the server was down. At that time the post I had went like this:
                        Spoiler:
                        It's 11.30pm so one last update before bed...the death toll has reached 84. My brother remains on high alert and hubby is now getting some long needed sleep. It's quite cool here tonight which is a nice relief but the winds continue to be a source of concern, particularly further north about 3 hours from here. Other than that, I've been staying tuned to the local radio station for updates.
                        My son actually said something tonight that was probably the most accurate description of the evening sky. He said, "Mum, it looks like the sky from that episode in Stargate". Of course it doesn't take a rocket scientist...or theoretical astrophysicists to figure that one out...Red Sky.
                        Spoiler:

These first 5 shots were taken yesterday afternoon. The first 4 in our front yard while the 5th was taken down the road and around the corner from our house.

The last 4 were taken this afternoon at around 7pm ish. David had just come home...hence the 4x4 in the drive. The redness of the sky was quite surreal.

Night all. Thanks for allowing me to go OT with the news here of what has been dubbed Black Saturday

Things have changed since then. The toll is now up at 108 and still expected to rise. A lot of the dead were found in the Kinglake district. I'm a little concerned for our mechanic as he lives there.
                        My brother is still on alert but thankfully at this stage he seems to be over the worst. There is one major blaze still burning up in Beechworth. We have friends up there too but thus far all is ok. The smoke is clearing but the sky still has a red tinge to it.
                        ABC News
                        I have to go to work today and I know there are a few people at work who will be directly affected by this. But I'll let you know more as soon as I can.
                        After speaking with my brother last night, i can tell you this...seeing David hop out of the cruiser last night all smelly and filthy...lets put it this way...we were so close to losing 5 members of my family and 2 dear friends on Saturday. So much so that the police and firies thought they were lost when the fire front hit the house. My younger brother was assisting another couple when he saw the fire front approach where my hubby, brother and sister inlaw were...he had to be held back as he tried to run to them. He said that he honestly thought they were dead. Bob said they hid behind the truck. Di was in the house. The story is just so incredible. I'm going to try to get it all down somewhere and share with you but basically, from what Bob and David were saying, it's a miracle they are with us today. Maybe dad was watching over them. I dunno. I'm just glad that they are ok. I'm glad to know Mara is ok and I'm glad that my aunties sister is here instead of up at her house in Stanley where the fires are now bearing down upon. I just hope and pray that everyone else we know who lives in the affected areas is ok.
                        Hi Chelle, I know I've already responded to this post, but I just learned that my grandfather in Portugal died today . I had no idea, my dad just told me, he was my dad's dad. Even though I've never met him since I've never been to Portugal, I'm very sad that he's gone, and that I'll never have a chance to meet him now .

Comment

Spoiler:
                          Spoiler:

ABC News
                          Thank goodness you are all OK! I've thought of you so often, especially when our news shows have pictures of the awful situations both north and south! We just had a bunch of floods in nearby suburbs after having unusual snowstorms and it makes me grateful that I live on one of Seattle's higher hills. (Even though the snow is an inconvenience it isn't a hardship in the city.)

So take care of your friends and family and know that we want to be supportive with thoughts and prayers.

(((Chelle)))

Comment

Rocky, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather. So many people over here have lost loved ones - I'm right near Chelle here in Aus - and it seems like the world is just so full of grieving just now.
                            Royal Page of Samanda
                            "Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid."

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
                              Hi Chelle, I know I've already responded to this post, but I just learned that my grandfather in Portugal died today . I had no idea, my dad just told me, he was my dad's dad. Even though I've never met him since I've never been to Portugal, I'm very sad that he's gone, and that I'll never have a chance to meet him now .
                              I'm so sorry to hear of your loss Rocky. I only wish I could be there for you guys in person. (((Rocky and family)))

Ok...I'm gonna have to rush this...just an update copied from the ship thread as I have to zip out and get mum...
                              Hi all. Sorry I haven't got in sooner...after work I sat down to watch the news...need I say more. Unfortunately the news is just not getting any better. The toll is now officially 131 dead....and I've heard rumour that it's about to jump exponentially. They continue to find more bodies as they gain access to the towns that have been devastated. These areas are not necessarily what one would call remote. It's just the damage done has meant it was difficult to gain access to. I've been to Marysville a million times and that town is as accessible as my own...but the fires have totally changed the landscape. It's shocking to say the least.
                              I have been in contact with Mara again but am still waiting to hear from her since my last message to her this afternoon. I understand that she has no power so that may just be a gliche. The fires in a lot of areas have been downgraded but I have just heard that the fires in that Yarra Glen area have been upgraded to an urgent threat so hubby is on his way back up.
                              Ok...just got off the phone with hubby..a big fire is headed towards them so he couldn't talk long but he feels ok where they are at the moment...I'm going to get mum who is beside herself with worry.
                              These fires are the worst I've ever seen. It's just devastating news everywhere around and it's just heartbreaking and bloody frightening.
                              But thank you all for your hugs and best wishes...but I'm not the one who needs them. I'm safe. Were ok.
                              Although, a report in says there's a small fire in Mt Evelyn...though I can't see anything but that's the danger zone for me...so I'm going to go get mum and keep an eye on things. BUT...we're all good. No worries!! I'll keep you posted as best I can. Thank you everyone for you words and support. You guys are just amazingly awesome! (((Samandans)))
                              "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                              Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                              ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Hey Everyone,

You're right, they COULD do it, pre season 9, they did an okay job. but as greenburg and rda's participation lessened, so did sam's capability.

for my personal tastes, the 'old' ptb wrote sam far more realistically than the newer ones
                                I completely agree Sky.

Chelle thanks so much for taking the time to keep us updated, I'm so glad you guys are OK, my thoughts and prayers go out to everyone in all the affected places both north and south.

(((((((Chelle, Chelle's family and friends)))))))))

Take real good care guys, stay safe. We're all thinking of you.

((((((Rocky and family))))))))) So sorry to hear about your Grandfather.

You know, its amazing how fandom makes the world a much smaller place isn't it.

Julia(samcarterrules)
                                sigpic
                                Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Working...
                                X