X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    or, like a suggestion i had,

Spoiler:
    sam leaves with a 'i was only assigned here for a year to give the IOA time to find a new civilian and to deal with the wraith and replicators'

meaning that she didn't fail. she's not 'in trouble', her job is simply over and it's time for her to go home
    Yeah. In the end, I just want Sam to be respected. I hope her departure doesn't leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post
      Yes but what can come close to be commander of Atlantis in Washington? President?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JanSam View Post
        Sam for President
        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

or, like a suggestion i had,

Spoiler:
          sam leaves with a 'i was only assigned here for a year to give the IOA time to find a new civilian and to deal with the wraith and replicators'

meaning that she didn't fail. she's not 'in trouble', her job is simply over and it's time for her to go home
          That would be good.
          Spoiler:
          I just wish that for once she actually had a chance to really lead. I'm so happy for Amanda with Sanctuary but every time Sam gets a chance to lead it gets messed up somehow. Sigh.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post
            Yes but what can come close to be commander of Atlantis in Washington? President?
            In Washington, Colonels are a dime a dozen so I can't think of a command job there that would really fit Sam at this stage.

But the USAF has got itself a nice little space fleet going - how about Fleet Commander? Unlikely but it beats captaining a ship.

I'm not overly confident that they will treat Sam respectfully when she leaves Atlantis. Unfortunately my idea of respect to the characters and the writers idea has gotten further and further apart over the last 3 years.
            -

Comment

i do agree. i love the idea of sam and jack (sam and teal'c even more but that ain't gonna happen ) but i don't want the 'going home to be with the fella' to be why she's gone.

i'd like there to be a better reason, one that suits the officer, not just the woman
              i'd like a combo of both, but with her career being first. there's no reason why sam can't balance work and personal, just like many, many women have done for years. like amanda.

sally
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                In Washington, Colonels are a dime a dozen so I can't think of a command job there that would really fit Sam at this stage.

But the USAF has got itself a nice little space fleet going - how about Fleet Commander? Unlikely but it beats captaining a ship.

I'm not overly confident that they will treat Sam respectfully when she leaves Atlantis. Unfortunately my idea of respect to the characters and the writers idea has gotten further and further apart over the last 3 years.
                I'm an optimists so I will hold out hope they will respect Sam... eventually I'm not sure what they will do with Sam. It might be commanding her own ship just so she will be able to go back and forth between Atlantis and SG-1 and have story line in both. I think that was their original plan. However, now that it only takes what 3 days from the SGC to Atlantis...Anything is possible Fleet commander, ship commander, Jack's job, SGC job, Washington job...field is wide open at the moment

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                  i'd like a combo of both, but with her career being first. there's no reason why sam can't balance work and personal, just like many, many women have done for years. like amanda.

sally
                  Yes, there is. It's called "The writers."

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post

IS it really a step back if she went to commanding a ship? i remember joe saying that was the original idea (when they were considering bringing her over in s3).

but really, what's the vote on whether sam taking command of a ship (like with total asgard tech) a step back or not?

sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

i wish i had more faith in the writers too

but they seem to suffer from terminal 'woman in thy place' syndrome.

whenever they get close to writing a strong female, they get distracted by teh boobies and forget all about strength and go for yuks and shipping her up with some guy

sam could have led in s8, but had ot have the man in main focus. then in season 9, they shove her into the background - effectively demoting the better qualified female for the lesser qualified male (whose main qualifications seem to have been his, ahem, sidearm)

yes, sam is in command of atlantis, but really, most of the stories have been nothing that required a decision that chuck couldn't have made, and the few that needed real command decisions made...well that was in the early part of the season and sam wasn't present so the 'hewo' of shep just does things and we all have to presume that sam gave the okay

The main reason sam is as strong as she is is because she wasn't created by the current writers, she's a product of John Glassner and Gekko. and only years of history has kept her as strong as she is...she's literally too strong for them to totally objectify (although they sure have tried)

ATL s5 will be...well at least Sam won't around every week to be kicked around
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                        IS it really a step back if she went to commanding a ship? i remember joe saying that was the original idea (when they were considering bringing her over in s3).

but really, what's the vote on whether sam taking command of a ship (like with total asgard tech) a step back or not?

sally
                        A step backward? hmmm sorta kinda but only from the perspective that Atlantis is a slightly larger command (I'm not sure what the crew complement of a 304 is) with more diverse functions and has a higher political view which are all necessary points to hit when bucking for advancement. If they were in an all out war situation with the 304's being actively fighting all the time as opposed to ferry duty and the occasional skirmish then the captaining of a ship would hold more weight (when push comes to shove active combat command trumps a desk every time). It's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other really.

The thing is that the current PTB have a problem with writing a woman in charge, they simply do not do it well so whatever they do I'm sure there will be some downside to it.
                        -

Comment

ooh, you know, sam could step down to a ship if they spin it

she was at atlantis on a TDY, for a year, to allow the IOA to find a new commander. during that year, they put the finishing touches on the Thor, Earth's newest starship...a command that was promised to Sam.

so she won't be demoted, in fact, she was just doing them a favor, multitasking - her absences? she went back to Earth to check out her new ship - and buying the IOA time to red tape thier way to a new commander (and while she was at it, she cleaned up thier mess for them)
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Sky please get on the writer's staff!
                            sigpic

Comment

ooh, you know, sam could step down to a ship if they spin it

she was at atlantis on a TDY, for a year, to allow the IOA to find a new commander. during that year, they put the finishing touches on the Thor, Earth's newest starship...a command that was promised to Sam.

so she won't be demoted, in fact, she was just doing them a favor, multitasking - her absences? she went back to Earth to check out her new ship - and buying the IOA time to red tape thier way to a new commander (and while she was at it, she cleaned up thier mess for them)
                              Nice! Not a chance they'd do that though. But it sure would make any guest roles easy. She just shows up.

suse
                              sigpic
                              Mourning Sanctuary.
                              Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by JanSam View Post
                                Sky please get on the writer's staff!
                                She can't. No...sidearm.

suse
                                sigpic
                                Mourning Sanctuary.
                                Thanks for the good times!